IGNORED

Adventure II XE demo and testing

Cafeman

recent laundy-list tweaks ...

- Troll Sleeps a bit longer, especially if he was hit by your SHIELD

- "Special Difficulty" - slain dragons will stay dead a lot longer now. Most often when a dead dragon revives, you will hear it bark to notify you. But there is a slight chance it will hold a grudge and start chasing you! So in Special ...keep the sword close by.

- I'm still experimenting with new sounds

- I'm now in the process of deciding new Rankings and tweaked Rankings rules.

- I decided which "ability" to grant the 3D Square icon ... it will help you find hidden dots! If you don't want help ... don't play as the 3D Square.

• Like 2

I made a brief video explaining some of what's new in the XE version.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/618/entry-13639-adventure-ii-and-bat-antics/

Other recent laundy-list tweaks ...

- Troll Sleeps a bit longer, especially if he was hit by your SHIELD

- "Special Difficulty" - slain dragons will stay dead a lot longer now. Most often when a dead dragon revives, you will hear it bark to notify you. But there is a slight chance it will hold a grudge and start chasing you! So in Special ...keep the sword close by.

- I'm still experimenting with new sounds

- I'm now in the process of deciding new Rankings and tweaked Rankings rules.

- I decided which "ability" to grant the 3D Square icon ... it will help you find hidden dots! If you don't want help ... don't play as the 3D Square.

Sounds great!

• 2 weeks later...

I did always think that Adventure 2 was quite difficult . But thanks for the update !

An update on the game's progress.

I realized that I have read comments like this before. In fact Goochman explained to me in more detail recently that Beginner was too hard. I think you don't want to trust a game's programmer to make the Easy levels actually "easy". :) I replayed a few rounds of 2600 Adventure Game 1, I realized it is indeed pretty easy and pretty quick to beat. And it looked like there are only 2 Dragons in Game 1 of the original game, not all 3.

So I made AdvII Beginner even easier - I slowed down all 3 draons to half-speed (in the 5200 version, only the Orange dragon was slowed down). So now a beginner player can more easily avoid the harder dragons. They don't take much to kill in Beginner too. In the Intermediate and Advanced levels, I speed them up to full speed and add health points to make more of a challenge.

I also tweaked the sword collision so that it will harm or kill a dragon even if just laying there. In 5200 version, you had to be carrying the sword to hurt a dragon; I tweaked it to be more like the 2600 version where a laying sword could also kill a dragon. See my blog video as I tested it with 3 items on-screen (I was verifying that the collision routine still could tell which item the dragon collided with , even when there is flickering) ... http://atariage.com/forums/blog/618/entry-13655-adventure-ii-and-the-deadly-sword/

I am working on typing in the new rankings and new rankings logic. 5200 version had 7, XE version has 14.

The last thing to do is decide which new sounds and musical ditties to keep. I have a couple ideas but the original code was VERY hard-coded into static tables, so I need to change around the code to add anything without offsetting the other sounds. I'll spend February doing that. Other than that, I don't see any problems with the game engine so I'm anxious to be done with it and move on!

• Like 4

I think that what was really helpful was that page of tips that you linked a while back if I remember correctly . I think the biggest problem as I got into the harder levels was that dang troll was always running into me . And getting thrown out of the castle .

Hmm... I'd like to see that page of tips! I don't remember! :)

That reminds me of Adventure 2600 with that dang bat!! I hated that bat sometimes!

The Troll can be manipulated, that was always part of the strategy I wanted in the game. If you feed the Troll an unneeded item (wood plank; used key; magnet maybe) ...he always runs away and sleeps. AND he gives you a parting gift of speed which really helps to go thru the mazes quicker. But when you are carrying a wanted item and fear the troll, personally I always wait a moment to see if he'll appear, and then I move appropriately on an angle away from him, or shift my carried item to the other side of me. Troll moves slow enough that you really ought to be able to avoid him on any screen, except in the cases where he just pops out of the edge and you happen to be right there (always carry items on your side away from the edge of the screen). If I have to explain it so much, maybe I've made it too complicated!

The Minotaur is changed in the XE version a bit too. He'll give you the Shield more regularly, but he doesn't always throw you out of the hedges now. Sometimes he'll just move you to another hedge maze screen. I also put in a sound effect when he enters the screen, so you know he's coming for a moment before you see him.

"You may delay, but Time will not." -- Benjamin Franklin.

I didn't intend it , but Adventure II for the Atari XL/XE computers is ... a tenth anniversary release. Atari 5200 Adventure II was released May 2007. Adventure II XE will be released in 2017, and its Ten Years After! . :) Holy Calendar, Batman!

Edit ... oh saddest of LOLs ... no, it wasn't.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been changing the Title Screen, removing the 5200-based * and # key code and putting the options right on the title screen , with joystick control. Here is how it looks now; I am still playing around with the exact layout.

post-37-0-45809200-1507341845.png

Tested the Rankings again and found the 1 little bug where sometimes I'd get a blank Ranking. Now all 14 of them do come up. The stats will explain why the player got that ranking.

I went back to the original 5200 Adventure II Rankings contest and pulled a few of the many unused (but still good) entries into this version. There are some custom rankings for several of the alternate icons. For example you won't get this end-game ranking unless you play as one of the Knights. I'm not revealing any more of the rankings though, other than to say there are 14 total , and there is only 1 carried over from the 5200 version.

post-37-0-94708900-1507341990.png

• Like 4