IGNORED

Re-Started Frenzy / Berzerk :)

PacManPlus

Bob! I keep throwing my credit cards and dollar bills at the screen, but nothing's happening! I MUST GIVE YOU MONEY FOR THIS.

I've wanted Frenzy on 7800 since playing it on Colecovision at a friend's house, way back. If there's a list, put me on it! If there's a place I throw money, show me where it is! :P

I think I just creamed my pants. Why has no one thought of 2-player before?

The 7800 really was all about two player versions of classic games,centipede, asteroids etc etc this game is true to being historically correct.. Also Pmp is awesome thats why you can always expect great games.

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

...and thanks for the screenshots Trebor!

I try to think of a way to incorporate a 2-player simultaneous mode in any game I make. There's also Super Circus AtariAge, Meteor Shower, (Rip Off and Armor Attack by default, as the arcade had them), Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel (because 7800 Asteroids had it), Space Invaders 7800, hell even Pac-Man Collection (the Pokey/XM version) has it also with a difficulty switch setting that allows the opposite player (in a 2-player game) to control Blinky. ;)

Bob

P.S. - with Frenzy / Berzerk, I looked at it a slightly different way; even if all of your lives are gone, you will still regenrate on the next board if the other player has lives left (in both Cooperative and competitive mode). You will both be competing until you both die. This way one person doesn't have to sit there and watch the other person continue :twisted:

• Like 9

Thanks guys :)

...and thanks for the screenshots Trebor!

I try to think of a way to incorporate a 2-player simultaneous mode in any game I make. There's also Super Circus AtariAge, Meteor Shower, (Rip Off and Armor Attack by default, as the arcade had them), Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel (because 7800 Asteroids had it), Space Invaders 7800, hell even Pac-Man Collection (the Pokey/XM version) has it also with a difficulty switch setting that allows the opposite player (in a 2-player game) to control Blinky. ;)

Bob

P.S. - with Frenzy / Berzerk, I looked at it a slightly different way; even if all of your lives are gone, you will still regenrate on the next board if the other player has lives left (in both Cooperative and competitive mode). You will both be competing until you both die. This way one person doesn't have to sit there and watch the other person continue :twisted:

I had no clue about player 2 being able to control Blinky ... awesome !
  • Like 1

Hi Guys!

SOUND!

I believe I have all sounds (aside from the voice - that's last) ;) implemented. I took the splash screen tune from the Vectrex version of Berzerk ;) (yes, it's supposed to be off-tune) and tried to get all other sounds as close as I could to the arcade version.

so, in this version:

- sound

- full collision detection (although the maze-to-player detection in Berzerk could use a little fine-tuning)

Things left:

- Change Berzerk Robot AI to be like the arcade version of Berzerk and not like the arcade version of Frenzy

- Fix 'Shaky Otto' when he starts to move faster each time you kill him

- Bonus lives

- HSC

- Voice

- Finish animations (Big Otto, Power Plant, Central Computer, Robot Factory)

Enjoy!

Bob

Frenzy.A78

Frenzy.bin

• Like 4

Bob-just gave this a spin with Pro-system...looking really good! I played Berzerk about a million times on my 2600 and in the arcade...I can't remember ever playing Frenzy...wow...I missed out...what an awesome game! Can't wait to see the finished product and slide that cart into my 7800!!! You the man!!!!!!!!! :D

Okay, just some points: (Assume everything else is absolutely great except for what I post here.)

You can die on player 2's 'ghost' (IE, where he was even if he's dead and no longer on the screen).

"Location" detection has robots will shooting diagonally in a far miss rather than nailing the player when going left or right, but a few pixels up or down.

Otto shows up insanely fast pretty early on. By screen four or five, he was typically on the screen within five seconds.

Overall difficulty and robot movement/shooting speed seems high, though I may be too used to home versions at this point.

Thanks, Guys :)

Got the HSC working.

@Jaynz:

- Fixed the player 2's ghost issue

- seems to be whatever robot is available to shoot at the time of processing the robot, but I will revisit it

- From what Alan told me, It isn't the round that makes Otto come out faster, it's the lack of movement. Key thing is to keep moving, and you'll notice that Otto takes longer to come out (in addition to the 'number of robots' thing, which is the more robots on the screen, the longer it takes for Otto to make his appearance). In dual player mode, it checks *both* players to see who isn't moving. :twisted:

- The robot shot speed should be comparable to the arcade (half that of the player). It equals the player's shot speed in the later levels (it's at different points between Berzerk and Frenzy)

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words :)

Bob

• Like 1

Ah, that's it, when I was testing player 2, he obviously wasn't moving... so the game got much more lethal for player 1... Shades of Wizard of Wor?

Edit: A little oddity. I had a scenario (single player) where I died, was started a new screen, and Otto immediately leapt out on my side (no noticeable delay). Needless to say, I died. It LOOKS like the 'Otto Timer' isn't getting reset properly. :S

Edited by Jaynz

Hey Allan:

I learn something new with each game I make. :) Actually the reason I was able to restart this port was because of some new things I've learned (time slicing between frames, a better way to do collision detection, etc.)

:)

At this point, this is what I have left:

- Change Berzerk Robot AI to be like the arcade version of Berzerk and not like the arcade version of Frenzy

- Fix 'Shaky Otto' when he starts to move faster each time you kill him

- Bonus lives

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 3

Hi Guys!

Next WIP. This one has:

- Fixed 'Shaky Otto' when he starts to move faster each time you kill him (only after he reaches you - the best I could do)

- Bonus lives

- HSC

Things left:

- any other little things I or you may notice along the way.

...and I have to majorly thank Schmutzpuppe (HUGE, HUGE thank you!) for something in this version you will note almost immediately. :D

Enjoy!

*PLEASE NOTE* - the bin is now 48K, please adjust your CCII settings accordingly.

Thanks,

Bob

Frenzy.A78

Frenzy.bin

• Like 1