IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

13 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Glad to hear that. Good luck with your Geneve setup. I sadly, miss mine hopefully one day I will find a Geneve again at a affordable price.

I'm just glad the battery hadn't leaked after all these years. That bomb has now safely been defused.

Good luck with your search!

17 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Here's a PEB with a very uncommon ICS 32K memory card in it. I only know of 10-15 of these within the community, so it could be a definite score for someone looking to expand their hardware collection.

You have eyes everywhere, TMS4500 based card I think

Tu a les yeux partout, carte a base de TMS4500 je pense

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RickyDean said:

Yes it is, I am one of those few who own one.

Is the Multicom and ICS ones the same? -- I have this version in one of my spare PEB's -- If it is so rare, maybe I should sell it! -- I wonder if its possible to upgrade them to 128k or 512k -- Too bad only the TMS4500 is in socket on this one not the ram itself.

PXL_20240412_185652527.jpg

PXL_20240412_185640718.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Is the Multicom and ICS ones the same? -- I have this version in one of my spare PEB's -- If it is so rare, maybe I should sell it! -- I wonder if its possible to upgrade them to 128k or 512k -- Too bad only the TMS4500 is in socket on this one not the ram itself.

PXL_20240412_185652527.jpg

PXL_20240412_185640718.jpg

It could probably be upgraded, I've thought of that myself. That's why I still have it.

I just did a comparison of the Multicom and the ICS boards. They are "nearly" identical. Based on the naming conventions and the label on the Multicom board, The ICS version (Intellitec Computer Systems) came first and the Multicom version came after. Now I have another 32K board to hunt down, LOLOL. I have one of the ICS variants, but not the Multicom. ISTR that Multicom also morphed into Boxcar peripherals at some point. . .just checked--it was Ultracomp that morphed into Boxcar Peripherals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/10/2024 at 11:35 PM, RickyDean said:

Nice.  That's a TM990/101MB, the last version of the 101.  It's a great board to see how Texas Instruments would take advantage of all the features of the 9900.  For instance, the single-step capability and DMA memory access grant. 

$113 was a great price!  (though you still need to have a backplane, or at least power hooked up.)

I have a 101MA and 102, so I'm good for now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peterfleeman said:

Sadly this item on eBay is missing the connection box sidecar thingy for the ti99 side of things. But all the connection box on the ti99 did was allow you to use your same monitor and use the keyboard from ti99 console. I used to have the sidecar part in Dominican Republic but it got destroyed, I still have the manual.

s-l1200.jpg

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, peterfleeman said:

Over the years I’ve seen more of the sidecar than the PC itself. 

The seller, Biff Howard Tannen (I swear I know this name from somewhere...) seems to have a lot of retro electronics.  Almost like he went back in time and collected a bunch of stuff, then came back to the future to sell them all as "vintage."  Very strange.

Anyway, I asked him to post some photos of the inside.  It is listed as a restoration project.  Its appearance makes me think it might be a little involved.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This VVV saddens me, I think we all remember the 90s when occasionally something would be bid high - because two or so determined bidders went at it.

Now, I see LOTS of profit taking in retro auctions, even auctions that start at impossible numbers, hoping someone will bite.

Sad Times.

image.thumb.png.857de6cf3a45a4ae46b3b13178953323.png

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Have not seen one of these for sale before:

Texas Instruments SDS-6000 Speech Synthesizer tool for LM386

Listed for only: $185

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144984776387

s-l1200(1).webp

s-l1200.webp

I researched this recently. I was going to start a thread of "other Texas Instruments instruments". 

From memory:

It connects by DB25 to a PC where you run WINSDS.EXE. That software sends your  audio samples to the box which has a TMS320C6xxx  in it. (Or some flavor of the 320 DSP, I forget.) Alternately, it can synthesize speech. 

The DSP extracts MELP code parameters, not LPC-10. For playback on one of the late speech processors. So, even if you had the software, it would be of no use for Home Computer speech which is LPC-10. 

I found two datasheets that describe the SDS-6000. They do have the guidelines for getting good recordings. 

Pretty cool that, ultimately, Texas Instruments distilled the speech analysis workstation to a little box. Compare @Stuart's big SDS workstation.

I found one mention of a little  box like the SDS-6000 that still did LPC-10. Maybe SDS-5000?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

The seller, Biff Howard Tannen (I swear I know this name from somewhere...) seems to have a lot of retro electronics.

I bought from him a keyboard compatible with my TI-928 terminal. It was in amazing shape and so an amazing value.