IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

We'll see if I'm any good at FPGA work. The simpler options would most likely be available before these ones.

If you're willing to entertain the possibility of supporting HDMI output, then I say put your efforts in that specifically. Then you'll certainly have a bunch of customers for your replacement PCB. Most of the TVs installed in people's living rooms today have HDMI input so it's really a no-brainer, IMHO. It's definately worth the effort.

And if you integrate the SGM components, then yes, do get rid of the expansion port.

However, since the ColecoVision Flashback has no cartridge port, a replacement motherboard that fits in a Flashback console casing may not be all that enticing, unless there's an opening in the casing that would make it easy to add an SD card reader?

If the expansion port would work with Expansion module #1 (Atari 2600 adapter) and Expansion module #3 (Adam computer), then I would prefer keeping the expansion port.

That may not be such a good idea. The Atari 2600 adaptor bypasses the CV's graphic chip and outputs directly to the TV via RF, which means 5-11under would have to add whatever components are needed to make that possible via HDMI output. That sounds technically difficult any way you look at it, and if someone wants to play Atari 2600 games, they should just use an Atari 2600.

As for the Expansion Module #3, I don't know what would be required to resolve the adressing conflicts between the integrated SGM components and the Adam's memory module, but if it poses any kind of difficulty, then it shouldn't be attempted, if only to reduce production costs.

• Like 1

Expansion module #1: I'll keep it in mind to keep compatibility with the module, but if it's kept, it would only pass through it's native composite output to the back, just like what was done with the YPbPr mod kit.

Expansion module #3: I don't have one of these, and I don't plan to get one. If you have an ADAM computer and want better video output, I'd suggest to buy an F18A.

HDMI is possible... I'm just not sure I have the skills to do it, in a reasonable time frame. Likely the way it will happen is that I'll offer other format(s) first.

since the vdp is socketed people could supply their own f18a cause some of us already own one..... this will lower the price

to output the rgb or ypbpr you need the colecovision vdp chip.... you could sell addon pcb that connect on the colecovision 1.2 pcb or you put everything in the main pcb if you want f18a you buy with out the vdp and if you want rgb you buy with the vdp chip....

• Like 3

The question of whether to keep the Expansion Port ot not should really come down to whether or not SGM support is included on the new CV 1.2 PCB or not and the likeliehood of a future product (ie: CV Keyboard) being released that requires the Port.

I personally would never use an Expansion Module #01 or #03 with a CV 1.2 PCB.

For those that want HDMI video for their ADAMs, you can use a scaler to go from Composite to HDMI (not ideal, but you can) or mod your system with the F18A VGA board and if the VGA isn't good enough for you, use a scaler to go fro VGA to HDMI.

• Like 1

Yeah I just don't see why the expansion port is necessary anymore at this point. The controllers all use the controller ports. The Atari 2600 cartridge adapter really isn't necessary. Yeah it was great back in the day but now, just get a Flashback. The Adam, just mod the standalone memory module with F18A. If SGM compatability is already built-in then it's no longer necessary as well.

I play all my retro console on CRT TV's with RGB mod if available with Scart cable. Unfortunately the Scart Colecovision I bought a year or so ago has a terrible display (look a bit blurry and not much better that RCA modded -- far from the perfect RGB Intellivision I also have). So for me it would definetely be RGB/Scart. Playing on newer TV might be nice to a lot of people, but for me, it's missing the retro feel (and scart line - I didn't like the XRGB Mini at all either). Hope this could be done...

Keep in mind that I'm no hardware expert, but just an idea: Couldn't the CV replacement motherboard be designed to handle video/audio specifically via a daughter board? You could install the F18A in there if you want, or a YPbPr board if that's what you prefer, or eventually a custom FPGA-based board that outputs HDMI. The point is that the basic motherboard would be missing the video/audio output components and would be designed in such a way that it could accept a daughter board in a plug-and-play manner.

Keep in mind that I'm no hardware expert, but just an idea: Couldn't the CV replacement motherboard be designed to handle video/audio specifically via a daughter board? You could install the F18A in there if you want, or a YPbPr board if that's what you prefer, or eventually a custom FPGA-based board that outputs HDMI. The point is that the basic motherboard would be missing the video/audio output components and would be designed in such a way that it could accept a daughter board in a plug-and-play manner.

Chart45 mentioned something like this, and I think the idea is worthy of serious consideration.

Yeah I just don't see why the expansion port is necessary anymore at this point. The controllers all use the controller ports. The Atari 2600 cartridge adapter really isn't necessary. Yeah it was great back in the day but now, just get a Flashback. The Adam, just mod the standalone memory module with F18A. If SGM compatability is already built-in then it's no longer necessary as well.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd prefer a "drop-in replacement board" to be as close to the original as possible (though I'm willing to ditch the RF modulator!), with only necessary improvements that will make it more reliable. You're not wrong, but that's just my preference.

Having the expansion slot on the console and not being able to use it would drive me crazy :-D. And I prefer to play on CRTs so HDMI is immaterial to me, although I can appreciate thinking for the future in this respect.

I think the only time I ever used my expansion port was when I had my old Adam expansion module #3. I guess I see this new drop board more as a Colecovision 2 second generation model. Just upgraded VDP and memory to play SGM as well as regular carts. The options for outputting Scart or HDMI should be there for compatibility with modern displays as well as composite out for CRT backwards compatibility. But if he can make it so that we still have everything including expansion module functionality then it's really the best of both worlds. As long as the Colecovision keeps getting modded to make it relevant with current technology will keep this old console from becoming obsolete. The fact that it's still alive and well today is a testament to its relevancy.

Edited by Tron Unit

Quick update: Both controllers are working. Also tested driving controller on both inputs (with Burn Rubber). It's working nicely, with the F18A and with non-functional expansion slot.

Next steps: Probably fix the 3rd prototype (as shown on page 4 of this thread), which is the full-size version with some extras. After that, I'll see if I can get the issues with the expansion module fixed.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I had a thought earlier tonight, and I revisited all the previous posts in this thread before posting this, just to make sure this hasn't been discussed before.

Anyway, if we go with the idea of using a daughter board for video output, whatever people select as their prefered video-out option will impact which connectors are installed on the back of the console's casing. This replacement board is meant to be a drop-in replacement, but if custom holes need to be drilled in the back of the casing, then it's not really a drop-in replacement anymore, is it? :)

But then there's one possible option to consider: Have whatever audio/video cable(s) come out of the power jack opening, and use the existing RF output location for the new power jack. Then you can have one, two, three or more cables hanging out of the back of the console, and avoid drilling holes in the casing. Then anyone will be able to install the drop-in replacement board without needing any special tools or skills.

Just an idea. :)

My CV 1.2 dream is:

A new board with the F18A add-on, which include VGA out, and the SGM + AY Facility built in.

:)

My dream is a board that simply lets me play a majority of my games again without performing surgery on my ColecoVision first.

Seriously, I'd love a perfect uber upgrade that's %100 compatible some day. But before that, I just want to play Lady Bug, Donkey Kong, and Pitfall.

I can live without a steering wheel. I can play my 2600 games in any one of my 3 Ataris. And I can live with RF or composite video.

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to mod the PCB with USB ports and mod the controllers with USB connectors. Sure would make it easier to remove them without having to worry about blowing the IC chips or loosening the 9-pin controller port trying to pull them out.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update: Both controllers are working. Also tested driving controller on both inputs (with Burn Rubber). It's working nicely, with the F18A and with non-functional expansion slot.

Next steps: Probably fix the 3rd prototype (as shown on page 4 of this thread), which is the full-size version with some extras. After that, I'll see if I can get the issues with the expansion module fixed.

I worked on the 3rd prototype again, and got it working fairly well. I need to make a fix to the latching for the Static RAM for the VDP, and also to the Sega controller inputs. The fix for both is known. I probably need to get another batch of PCB prototypes done again soon, so I'll make sure these changes are included, and see if I can get the expansion port worked out.

• Like 5

I worked on the 3rd prototype again, and got it working fairly well. I need to make a fix to the latching for the Static RAM for the VDP, and also to the Sega controller inputs. The fix for both is known. I probably need to get another batch of PCB prototypes done again soon, so I'll make sure these changes are included, and see if I can get the expansion port worked out.

Awesome news!