IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

@5-11under: thanks!

Today i tried for the first time to open my "greenish" coleco and IT WAS SURPRISINGLY EASY.

After all i read on the 'net i thought i was gonna kill myself but it was really a piece of cake!!! (without stripping out the front sticker!)

So I tried to swap the RF cable but still the colors on my TV are still greenish, like bleached out...this is as far as my knowledge goes, so... I'm keeping it for this "coleco 1.2"

cheers!

Edited by sprazzi

My 5 cent:

If you ll try to produce, import or develop something in the european community you must follow the following rules:

A) rohs compliant components (ti chips may not have it). Fee is about 15.000 eur

B) if you deliver a power supply, vde compliance check. Very xpensive

C) if your device is standalone, has a housing then you must fullfill weee registration and dump fee. If you do not you have one sear ntil a fee of 50.000 must be paid. The only chance is to deliver an assembly or a replacement board for existing devices but these must consist of rohs compliant and already registered components.

Thats why most assmblers and freelancer gave up delivering such projects. There must be similar recommndations in the us. Sure you can try it without legal requirements but the fee is very hgh and most likely hit you even after years.

My 5 cent:

If you ll try to produce, import or develop something in the european community you must follow the following rules:

A) rohs compliant components (ti chips may not have it). Fee is about 15.000 eur

B) if you deliver a power supply, vde compliance check. Very xpensive

C) if your device is standalone, has a housing then you must fullfill weee registration and dump fee. If you do not you have one sear ntil a fee of 50.000 must be paid. The only chance is to deliver an assembly or a replacement board for existing devices but these must consist of rohs compliant and already registered components.

Thats why most assmblers and freelancer gave up delivering such projects. There must be similar recommndations in the us. Sure you can try it without legal requirements but the fee is very hgh and most likely hit you even after years.

A) Well, pretty much everything I buy lately is already ROHS compliant these days. So the issue would only be if he is using the old chips like old VDPs and so on I guess. Then, when it is assembled, you have to do lead free solder. That is a pain, I suppose, but 5-11 under already offers that service, so that isn't impossible.

B) He is talking about a swap in board, so no power supply is needed to be included. But even then, buying an already certified power supply isn't that hard. There are lots available on sites like Alibaba.

C) Since it is designed as a swap in board, the purchaser in Europe can either do the swap in themselves or there perhaps there is someone who would do it in Europe as a service, that shouldn't be a real barrier. The other part is A. The recycling dump fees start applying at $2 million in sales in Ontario since 2002, so that wouldn't apply to a hobby business.

Edited by hardhat

A) Well, pretty much everything I buy lately is already ROHS compliant these days. So the issue would only be if he is using the old chips like old VDPs and so on I guess. Then, when it is assembled, you have to do lead free solder. That is a pain, I suppose, but 5-11 under already offers that service, so that isn't impossible.

B) He is talking about a swap in board, so no power supply is needed to be included. But even then, buying an already certified power supply isn't that hard. There are lots available on sites like Alibaba.

C) Since it is designed as a swap in board, the purchaser in Europe can either doing the swap in themselves or there perhaps there is someone who would do it in Europe as a service, that shouldn't be a real barrier. The other part is A. The recycling dump fees start applying at $2 million in sales in Ontario since 2002, so that wouldn't apply to a hobby business.

Well for a) if he uses old ti chips then it is a problem because none rohs compliant parts are forbidden in new devices within europe.

For b) you must use already certified power supplies. Alibaba offers most likely chinese one which are not certified. If he writes his name on it he must certify themse

Ves.

If for c) the part is not weee registered then you as an importer must do it. Not sure if it is worth to spent additional 2000 eur or pay a fee of 50.000 if you are catched by lawyers. It not to simple to offer built pcb in the european countries. If you offer a service then you as the one assembling the device must register. Very complicated and risky these days having a solder station and want to produce something looking like a device....

In european countries the dump registration starts if you try to offer something not for your private use. The import regulations are quite strong for pcb deliveries. And if government is interested in and find non rohs compliant parts you are catched with a fee and do not get your device. The kickstarter projects demonstrates that even big players are not aware of european regulations and so deliveries were stopped and dumped by paying additional fees.

Edited by retromod

Well for a) if he uses old ti chips then it is a problem because none rohs compliant parts are forbidden in new devices within europe.

For b) you must use already certified power supplies. Alibaba offers most likely chinese one which are not certified. If he writes his name on it he must certify themse

Ves.

If for c) the part is not weee registered then you as an importer must do it. Not sure if it is worth to spent additional 2000 eur or pay a fee of 50.000 if you are catched by lawyers. It not to simple to offer built pcb in the european countries. If you offer a service then you as the one assembling the device must register. Very complicated and risky these days having a solder station and want to produce something looking like a device....

In european countries the dump registration starts if you try to offer something not for your private use. The import regulations are quite strong for pcb deliveries. And if government is interested in and find non rohs compliant parts you are catched with a fee and do not get your device. The kickstarter projects demonstrates that even big players are not aware of european regulations and so deliveries were stopped and dumped by paying additional fees.

First of all, welcome to Atariage.

Second of all, thanks for the warnings.

Third of all, it looks like you're not in the market for one of these. ;)

• Like 1

Ves.

So for A, an F18A most likely does not use any old TI chips (although I would have to double check that). So you'd just have to be careful with what you plan to ship to Europe and be aware of what the restrictions are.

So for B again, there are lots of suitable certified power supplies out there. And of course there are many that are not. You just have to be careful and select one that is certified, and perhaps verify the certification. Hopefully the certification is independently verifiable with out a cost of 15000 euros or that would be pretty stupid. Governments around here would tend to put that kind of thing on the web for easy reference, if you have the certificate number from the supplier. Or you could just buy a suitable 12V 2A power supply locally. There are lots of them around. And it would of course have the local plug.

As for WEEE being required for any non-personal use, I couldn't say. If that is the case, and the board is compliant, and the 20 people who want it can't reasonably split the fee, I guess the only option is to have everyone make their own or they are out of luck. 100 euros per person split between 20 people seems pretty excessive, since you can just buy a used ColecoVision on ebay for about that much maybe. Do you have a good link to WEEE information? I'd definitely like to learn more.

In my experience there is almost (although not always) a reasonable way to make a device compliant enough to sell, while still respecting the environment.

Well i tried tomarket several devices like a new atari computer and current state is the weee and certifications are too expensive as number of items ordered are far too less. You must sell a min of 1000 items to get a reasonable price. The weee was made by big companies for the protection of there market. Weee is a job killer since introduction and according to famous magazins only stupid people does not know anything about (original wording) since it is valid about 5 years now.

Another problem is that you may register a device in different countries, so selling to germany and uk means to follow two different laws with different rules. With newest version of weee it is allowed having one representative in each country.

The german administration for weee is called ear (www.ear.de). You need a registration for each company/brand and must register and sending sold pieces information on a monthly base. Subscription is about 500 eur/year plus 1000-3000 eur for dump containers.

My lawyer was quite clear that only offering assemblies is the way to go or selling several thousends per year to get the costs back. Thats why pulling the plug on such projects happens very often these days. It is not a matter of knowledge or talent it is a matter to follow government restrictions or not due to fees and costs.

The weee is valid for each device you create for other people, if 5 people import the device then 5 people must register at the ear in germany. I know that is stupid but it is covered by law. Thats why big magazines and stores offering devices like yours started to only offering assemblies.

Edited by retromod

Copied from another thread...

Wait for 5-11under's new ColecoVision v1.2 PCB to be completed and released hopefully sometime this year if all goes well. This will give you a brand new board with all the advantages of today's modern tech along with built-in video output enhancements, many other improvements including the power switch, ram, etc., etc. and I think the chips that populate the PCB will all be socketed. Just follow 5-11's thread in this forum for all the past and future news about this much needed product. I am hoping that a new power supply solution can be worked into the equation as well and 100% compatibility with all hardware and controllers, but will have to re-read the thread to see if there has been any mention of this as well.

This year meaning 2014, right?

The plan is that the only power supply needed would be a generic 5V supply, with a 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel connector. Alternately, a USB charger could be used, too. A decision would have to be made by the buyer to figure out if they want the standard CV power input jack (well, plug, actually) to be an output (encouraged, for the roller controller to be able to be used) or as an input like a standard CV (discouraged because of the reliability of the power supplies).
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"It's an interesting idea, I guess. But how about something simpler: Tap the reset button to pause, tap again to unpause, and hold down the reset button for 3 full seconds to initiate a true console reset. I don't know if such a solution is doable, of course, but it's certainly desirable. :)"

great idea. It's easy to implement, too. I will create a new PCB with that function including AV and stereo surround sound. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Expansion module circuitry remains - for SGM and Atari Expansion Module support”

So the Atari Expansion module #1 will be supported with audio, which is great. How about Expansion Module #3 the ADAM computer will that also be supported? I am strongly interested if Expansion module #3 the ADAM computer is supported.

I would like to see a HDMI 480i 4:3 output but that does not appear to be in the design.

Having the ability to flash the internal BIOS with a BIOS file that one downloads from the Internet would be a big positive. Maybe the controller port or a SD cartridge could be used to update the BIOS.

“All new parts used - except for VDP and audio, which use NOS (new old stock) parts.”

If most the parts are brand new then in theory this ColecoVision replacement board should be much more reliable when compared to the original 1982 ColecoVision. The big advantage to this ColecoVision replacement will be the component video output. That feature alone is a reason to upgrade.

It would be ideal if someone would make third party ColecoVision cases. Then people could purchase the new Colocovision replacement boards and install them in new ColecoVision plastic cases instead of tearing their old ColecoVision boards out of the old case. Of course one could always sell their old 80’s ColecoVision PCB on EBAY if new cases are not made.

Edited by HDTV1080P