IGNORED

Boulder Dash (R) For Intellivision

I wonder why the Intellivision version sells much faster than the Atari 2600 version. :ponder:

Interesting statement. One would think that there is waaay more 2600 'homebrew' purchasers than intellivision based on consoles sold from back in the day.

But it is nothing for Intv to sell 150 to 200 copies per title.

Thoughts?

I don't think that the order numbers are the sold copies of Boulder Dash. I have order number 169. But my copy was shipped at the first day on which Tim send about 50 games as he said.

I assume that the order number are the orders for this year so far.

Nonetheless, the game will be a great success!

Edited by Intymike

Plus the fact that it's shrinkwrapped leads to multiple copies being purchased. I buy one of the 2600 HBs, but 2 copies of shrinkwrapped Elektronite HBs. I can't be the only one doing that.

I was doing that, but now i will un-wrap and play them! Too much coming out. I am preparing for that!

I wonder why the Intellivision version sells much faster than the Atari 2600 version. :ponder:

Interesting statement. One would think that there is waaay more 2600 'homebrew' purchasers than intellivision based on consoles sold from back in the day.

But it is nothing for Intv to sell 150 to 200 copies per title.

Thoughts?

From someone who has owned damn near 99% of every Homebrew made for the Atari 2600 I can chime in on this...

- I guess "hoarding" in the Intellivision community is one point to make, but I don't think that is all of it by any means...I don't know many Atari 2600 guys that buy more than one though,,,maybe 2 but 3 or 4 or ??, no, I don't personally know any that do that except maybe for resale.

- Atari 2600 has soooo many Homebrews it's near impossible to own them all, Intellivision (especially if you started a few years back) does not have as many. It is very realistic and possible to own every homebrew made. Many Atari 2600 homebrew collectors "pick and chose" what games to buy and set limitations where Intellivision homebrew collectors buy each and every one....

I still make the point of the gooddealgames exclusive Blix. Only 30 copies were made and it caused Chaos, he has done the same thing (30 copies only) for many Atari 2600 Homebrew exclusives...and they are still available in his store years later. The reason? Blix and the other atari 2600 exclusive homebrews were not stellar games, but due to the Intellivision "catch em all" fever, blix is in HIGH demand, even if it's not that good....the exclusive mediocre Atari 2600 Homebrews...still sitting in the store waiting for someone to buy them.

*I am in no way saying all Intellivision homebrews fit this scenario, just pointing out it is more popular to own them all than just a few that you really like

- Intellivision games are known for being here one day gone the next. Atariage store purchases people tend to slack on because they think it will always be there. I know I put off Boulder Dash for the 2600...nobody wants to miss out so they buy NOW!

- I can't help but think the success of Boulder Dash on the 2600 also helped a little. I know it got me interested more in the Intellivision one and not wanting to miss it.

From someone who has owned damn near 99% of every Homebrew made for the Atari 2600 I can chime in on this...

- I guess "hoarding" in the Intellivision community is one point to make, but I don't think that is all of it by any means...I don't know many Atari 2600 guys that buy more than one though,,,maybe 2 but 3 or 4 or ??, no, I don't personally know any that do that except maybe for resale.

- Atari 2600 has soooo many Homebrews it's near impossible to own them all, Intellivision (especially if you started a few years back) does not have as many. It is very realistic and possible to own every homebrew made. Many Atari 2600 homebrew collectors "pick and chose" what games to buy and set limitations where Intellivision homebrew collectors buy each and every one....

I still make the point of the gooddealgames exclusive Blix. Only 30 copies were made and it caused Chaos, he has done the same thing (30 copies only) for many Atari 2600 Homebrew exclusives...and they are still available in his store years later. The reason? Blix and the other atari 2600 exclusive homebrews were not stellar games, but due to the Intellivision "catch em all" fever, blix is in HIGH demand, even if it's not that good....the exclusive mediocre Atari 2600 Homebrews...still sitting in the store waiting for someone to buy them.

*I am in no way saying all Intellivision homebrews fit this scenario, just pointing out it is more popular to own them all than just a few that you really like

- Intellivision games are known for being here one day gone the next. Atariage store purchases people tend to slack on because they think it will always be there. I know I put off Boulder Dash for the 2600...nobody wants to miss out so they buy NOW!

- I can't help but think the success of Boulder Dash on the 2600 also helped a little. I know it got me interested more in the Intellivision one and not wanting to miss it.

Thanks for the good analysis.

One other factor is that Intellivision games tend to be high quality (with only a tiny number of exceptions). In comparison, the Atari 2600 homebrew games range from "OMG Awesome" to "Lame Hello World". Someone else pointed out to me that this is likely because publishing Intellivision games is harder and more expensive, including the fancier boxes, the overlays, and having to emulate the ROM chip themselves. The Atari scene has the benefit of still having easy access to actual ROM chips.

For me and regarding the almighty dollar-to-dollar comparison, Intellivision Boulder Dash seems a better value at $78 shipped than its 2600 counterpart did at the time. You know, better graphics/better sound, that whole chestnut. Besides, a game like Boulder Dash seems like it would be more compelling to play on the Intellivision. Little slower, more methodical puzzle-like gameplay or strategy to it. Prefer to play *those* types of games on the Intellivision.

Had the 2600 version run what 2600 homebrews typically cost, I would probably have sprung for it though.

Thanks for the good analysis.

One other factor is that Intellivision games tend to be high quality (with only a tiny number of exceptions). In comparison, the Atari 2600 homebrew games range from "OMG Awesome" to "Lame Hello World". Someone else pointed out to me that this is likely because publishing Intellivision games is harder and more expensive, including the fancier boxes, the overlays, and having to emulate the ROM chip themselves. The Atari scene has the benefit of still having easy access to actual ROM chips.

Ah, I bet that explains the absence of reproduction games. I was wondering why there was no Spiker Repro's/etc.. Not saying I am for or against it but usually if a game is rare, someone is making repro's whether it's accepted or not :)

Yeah, I could see that being a factor....I know I have passed on many Atari homebrews packed in those crappy VCR cases, lol...but don't you think Blix would have sold 100+ copies also? There are some damn high quality atari games with die cut boxes, posters, etc that I don't think have sold anywhere near 200 copies, let alone in the first weekend they were available.

I did forget that Boulder Dash for the Atari was priced considerably higher than a typical release, what was it, $75? I cant remember...

Yes, $75. So about the same as this version. And it was limited to 250 copies.

This price seems typical for Intellivision releases though, at least the ones I have purchased lately. Atari CIB is usually $50

With those numbers would Boulder Dash Intellivision sell as fast if priced $25 higher ($100) ??

Yeah, I could see that being a factor....I know I have passed on many Atari homebrews packed in those crappy VCR cases, lol...but don't you think Blix would have sold 100+ copies also? There are some damn high quality atari games with die cut boxes, posters, etc that I don't think have sold anywhere near 200 copies, let alone in the first weekend they were available.

Blix is one of the exceptions, especially since the game wasn't completely finished (likely got rushed for CGE deadline). If it had been finished, it would have been a nice puzzle game (I actually like playing it, it gets challenging). I don't know if it would have sold 100+ copies though, even with the hoarders. However it did blow through 30 copies in ~2 days. Homebrew puzzle games haven't been high sellers on the Intellivision lately unless they have cool graphics or a big name (such as Lost Caves of Kroz and Boulder Dash being the latter category).

Blix is one of the exceptions, especially since the game wasn't completely finished (likely got rushed for CGE deadline). If it had been finished, it would have been a nice puzzle game (I actually like playing it, it gets challenging). I don't know if it would have sold 100+ copies though, even with the hoarders. However it did blow through 30 copies in ~2 days. Homebrew puzzle games haven't been high sellers on the Intellivision lately unless they have cool graphics or a big name (such as Lost Caves of Kroz and Boulder Dash being the latter category).

It blew through 30 copies in 2 hours or less. I almost did not get mine.

Edited by SoulBuster