IGNORED

How do you organise and store your collection?

Ikrananka

I'm curious to know how others organise and store their collections. I did what I suspect is rather unusual, i.e. separating the cartridges and manuals from the boxes. I placed all of my cartridges in large plastic storage boxes that contain around 50 carts each. The manuals I put into archival clear protective sleeves and stored them in ring binders. The boxes have all been placed in individual plastic game box protectors and displayed on my bookshelves.

The philosophy with my approach was (i) easy accessibility of carts and manual without having to open the boxes (ii) easy to quickly compare carts and manuals from different sources and (iii) simplified cataloguing of my collection.

However, with CollectorVision having published so many games over the years I am now finding that storage space is becoming a problem. Consequently I am now considering putting the carts and manuals back into their boxes to free up some space.

I'd be interested to know what approach others take.

• Like 2

I bought a huge cabinet and have all the boxes in the plastic containters. I keep everything together in the box though. I to am running out of space with all the homebrews that have been coming out :)

Luckily I have all the old ones that can possibly be found so just homebrews add to my storage problem.

I have the atarimax though so I play most of the games on that and just play the real cartridges once in a while.

I keep my ColecoVision collection in a hallway closet that is pictured below. This picture is very outdated as I added two more shelves and now have room enough for all the original releases as well as all the Homebrew releases that I have acquired. With so many Homebrew releases being made, it's starting to get a little tight and I may have to double up the game boxes on each shelf instead of having them so neatly displayed.

As far as my ADAM collection, it is stored in large containers in my basement but if I double up the CV boxes on each shelf, I should have just enough room to place everything in the same closet.

As far as the carts and manuals, they are all stored in their original game boxes and I rarely take them out seeing as I use the AtariMax SD Cart.

post-25956-0-91031700-1388981591_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I keep mine on full display!

attachicon.gifColecovision.jpg

The best poster to surround the collection!

In my collection each cartridge is inside a plastic bag with desecant, cartridges are put into bags and cardboard boxes, that are put into a big plastic container. Very hard to access but I want to preserve it very well :)

I have few CIB, so these are put inside another plastic container, carefully checking that there is not a lot of weight that crushes boxes, I've several CIB distributed inside cardboard boxes.

Our house has a small bedroom that I converted into a library. That bedroom has a small walk-in closet. I lined two walls of the closet with shelves, and that's where I store my CIB games. The few loose cartridges i have are either in those vinyl and plastic binders made for VCS carts, or in a flip-n-file that I keep a few loose A8 carts and a couple of loose 5200 carts in.

At one time, I organized all games. Most 2600, 5200, 7800, Coleco games have been de-boxed, with the boxes flatened and all stored in one big container.

Carts have been (mostly) alphabetized and stored in various styles which are different from system to system because my organization (or organisation, as you call it) methods evolved.

NES, SNES, N64, and all the CD/DVD games are just stacked, box-less, in effecient rows of games. My 2600, 7800, and Colecovision games are in special cases I bought a long time ago that hold two carts and manuals and other literature. N64 games are in those clear plastic cases rental stores used to use, where each holds the game, the instructions and maybe some notes, and a memory card. All my Vectrex games fit in one box with a stack of overlays, an extra controller, and manuals (and also a power strip, I think). My Virtual Boy games are in a box with my system and a couple of spare main units.

Of course, I have a couple (well maybe eight) shoeboxes with all my favorite games next to my desk and the twelve most common systems always hooked up.

and some loose stacks of games here and there on my desk.

and on the shelf.

and some games that don't work on my fix-it table.

and some games in the garage I don't want anymore. and probably a few others...

Oh, I also have boxes of miscellaneous crap in storage (probably about half of which is Genesis controllers).

Oh, I also gave a few systems and games to my niece a few years ago, but she's going to college next year and my sister has started asking me to take them all back.

oh, I forgot, I think I still have a couple of systems and a few games at my moms house.

Edited by fiddlepaddle

I am meticulous about storing things for preservation. I don't have a good option for display right now, so everything is carefully bagged, bubble wrapped, or boxed up in my closet. I long for the day I can look at everything in my collection without taking the time to pull it all out. I was taking stuff out recently to show a friend, and I had forgotten how many layers deep the closet was. I found some gems I had forgotten about!

NIAD, the accessory shelf has me hypnotized. I have some sealed cables I would think about donating to the shelf since it seems you have the best accessory collection I can recall seeing.

NIAD, the accessory shelf has me hypnotized. I have some sealed cables I would think about donating to the shelf since it seems you have the best accessory collection I can recall seeing.

Thanks and as I stated, the picture is very outdated. Since this picture was taken almost two years ago, I have obtained pretty much everything in it's original packaging or boxes. I am missing some controllers like the High Score ones that were sold as compatible for multiple systems as well as 1 or 2 of the Coleco hand controller knob attachments, but for the most part, I'm pretty sure I have everything else CIB including Y-Cables and Extension Cords.

Just in case, let me know what you might have available.

BTW, I'm still hypnotized by your incredible score of CIBs that got you started collecting for the CV. :-o

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Jaymiester, on 05 Jan 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:Jaymiester, on 05 Jan 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

I keep mine on full display!

attachicon.gifColecovision.jpg

Wow you have a Super Sketch Brand New!!!! You should really get that graded and have it protected in a case :lust: Very nice I know where to go when I want to upgrade my Super Sketch! Thanks for sharing :-D :thumbsup:

Edited by RelliK111
  • Like 1

I'm working on this, I have a lot to organize for quite a few different systems and am not going to post half-assed pictures. ;-) I'm having trouble uploading pics from my S3 and I can't find the cord for my digital camera. . Anyways I'll get something up soon, I have the time now.. :-)

I would love a case for mine, but for now, bubble wrap will have to do. What kind of case would be best? I wish there was a huge version of the same protector cases I have for my NES, SNES, 2600, and Colecovision games (perfect, snug fit), but that's very unlikely. A similar case for the SGM would be cool, too.

post-33964-0-40649300-1389824632_thumb.jpg

Edited by WispFollower
  • Like 1

Wow you have a Super Sketch Brand New!!!! You should really get that graded and have it protected in a case :lust: Very nice I know where to go when I want to upgrade my Super Sketch! Thanks for sharing :-D :thumbsup:

Good eye Rellik!

I owe that one to Niad....wouldn't have gotten my hands on it with out him!!

WispFollower, on 15 Jan 2014 - 5:30 PM, said:

I would love a case for mine, but for now, bubble wrap will have to do. What kind of case would be best? I wish there was a huge version of the same protector cases I have for my NES, SNES, 2600, and Colecovision games (perfect, snug fit), but that's very unlikely. A similar case for the SGM would be cool, too.

Your best bet if you never have plans to open it would be to send it into VGA and have it graded, they will make a beautiful acrylic case for it, although it isn't cheap(VGA also makes cases that can be opened also if you don't want it graded). If you plan to open it you can talk to Toby from Collectorvision(here on AA) and he can make a custom acrylic case for it that can still be opened (if he has time to make it). He can make anything in acrylic and does a amazing job, again it won't be cheap but when you have a super high value game like that its really worth having a good acrylic case because they look very nice in display and they the case keeps your game in mint condition. Here's a picture of a couple of graded games I have, I also plan to have Tournament Tennis graded and Sammy Lightfoot graded in the near future when I get my tax return.

post-27857-0-91298800-1389832295_thumb.jpgpost-27857-0-56674400-1389832335_thumb.jpgpost-27857-0-29562900-1389832366_thumb.jpg

• Like 3