IGNORED

Oh well

Maertens29

I see that the OP has listed this item for $1,300.

I did a quick eBay search for "atari vga." What I discovered was that there are lots of people wanting to sell VGA-graded Atari items and very few people wanting to buy them. In fact, only two VGA items have sold in the past 60 days. One was a Gremlins for the Apple II. It sold for a little more than $50 -- not much more than what VGA charges to grade and slab.

The other was the 85+ Mario Bros. It sold for $322. Take a look at the bidding, however. One bidder seemed to be pushing up the price, and it turns out that 30% of this bidder's activity is with this seller. Interesting. It's possible that the sale was legit, but it's also quite possible that it was shilled because there just isn't a demand for this stuff.

• Like 2

I think most people have been going fairly easy (as internet forums go). Trust me when I say, we are all friends here...we just have a hazing ritual that takes place almost daily in the marketplace. When new folks show up with incredibly outlandish expectations regarding the value of items we know to be fairly commonplace, a feeding frenzy of jokes and comments tend to stir up. Lucky for you, nobody decided to provide Shatner and Hello Kitty pictures...

attachicon.gifShat_Bros.png

...until now! :grin:

How much for the Shatner/H-Kitty Cart?

Edited by TaskenLander
  • Like 1

When exactly did Mario Bros. become a $320 game? I have at least 2 minty fresh copies of this. Does it cost $300 to grade them? When the F did this VGA grading for Atari 2600 games start? And who is grading them??? I hope it is an actual expert ie... Albert, CPUWIZ, Wonder, at least someone that actually gives a crap about the 2600. @ the OP I will sell you my perfect condition Mario's (not graded) for $100 each.

Grading has been around for a while now unfortunately. I've seen examples of some of their 85+ grades and I have little faith that they care or know what they're doing when grading. Very obvious creasing in spots that still get top grades. Grading is nothing more than a money making venture that brings the sheep into slaughter. Unfortunately many in the Nintendo age have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker and live and die by the almighty grade. They can have it. I have little interest in NES and no interest in anything graded!

• Like 2

I see that the OP has listed this item for $1,300.

I did a quick eBay search for "atari vga." What I discovered was that there are lots of people wanting to sell VGA-graded Atari items and very few people wanting to buy them. In fact, only two VGA items have sold in the past 60 days. One was a Gremlins for the Apple II. It sold for a little more than $50 -- not much more than what VGA charges to grade and slab.

The other was the 85+ Mario Bros. It sold for $322. Take a look at the bidding, however. One bidder seemed to be pushing up the price, and it turns out that 30% of this bidder's activity is with this seller. Interesting. It's possible that the sale was legit, but it's also quite possible that it was shilled because there just isn't a demand for this stuff.

Who knows but both are from Canada.

Who knows but both are from Canada.

Don't blame Canada.....we like cheap games up here too!

Sadly this is the way collecting is going. Overpriced VGA junk has flooded every market. The sports cards and comic collecting communities is our lesson here. There will be a crash in sales and prices at some point, which will be good for people who like to play games instead of encasing them in Lucite.

• Like 2

Cellophane freaks strike me as being fairly nuts as well.

<hypocritically glances over at sealed copy of Death Knights of Krynn on shelf>

<cough>

Anyway....

I have maybe a dozen shrink swapped games, but stuff I have open copies as well, Xenoblade Chronicles, Zelda: Ocarina of Time w/ Master Quest, Shaq Fu, Duke Nukem forever, but those are prime games. but really dont get VGA, makes me kinda mad when I think about it.

Edited by damcanadian

I mean, you would be providing a benefit to people on the inverse, people (me as an example) are willing to pay exuberant prices so perhaps in actuality you are a "good guy"

It just seemed odd that NO ONE had taken to purchasing them after seeing how well they sell to "non atari enthusiasts"

But the real question here is why people like yourself are willing to spend this kind of money on these games when there's no real precedent for it. That's what really odd. It's just completely illogical.

• Like 1

And then there's crap like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Bros-1985-Nintendo-NES-Black-Seal-VGA-NG-Holy-Grail-Rare-/161222477568?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item25899bc700

So it's 'graded' with 'NG'? So it's not graded? That just blew my mind! Also you just can't ignore the fact that this is surely a "Holy Grail'!

And then there's crap like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Bros-1985-Nintendo-NES-Black-Seal-VGA-NG-Holy-Grail-Rare-/161222477568?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item25899bc700

So it's 'graded' with 'NG'? So it's not graded? That just blew my mind! Also you just can't ignore the fact that this is surely a "Holy Grail'!

WTF really? wow. And it's at 150.00 with 5 days left unbelievable.

Edited by cncfreak

Let's not attack people who come here to sell stuff honestly. You don't have to have a 1000 post count to sell. And if you disagree with prices, then don't buy. I'd rather people look at this as a welcoming forum rather than a bunch of reactive angry internerds.

If the guy can get more money elsewhere, all the power to him. If you don't want to pay someone's price, then mocking is not necessary. Honest appraisals have more value to all of us. Am I the only one around here who thinks we should be polite?

At least he seems honest about declaring what he paid, literate and responsive. Which is more than I can say about some folks who come here to sell.

• Like 8

We should be more polite, but that said, the OP didn't seem to mind. He clearly had a sense of humor and didn't give the impression that he wants to flood the market. Just looking to recoup a bad investment.

And not ALL grading is bad. I collect coins, and grading has been used and is well established in that hobby for over a 100 years.

Pssss. I'm a collector 1st, proof by my collection you can see here.

http://s14.photobucket.com/user/icemanxp300/library/#/user/icemanxp300/library/Gameroom?sort=3&page=1&_suid=13923690500290520188625636065

However vga aside, since I think thats crazy bs. If a game is selling for $300+ on ebay and I can buy it for $20. Oh yeah, that shits getting resold all day long!

The rest of you can be upstanding citizens, thats fine w/me. It's not above me to make money! Thats what this entire society is based on. Mostly everything gets resold and usually at outrageous markups.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but vga grading atari stuff is a little silly. Sure it might be 85+ now, but the shrink wrap tends to kill those boxes on its own. It's a bit surprising that the case managed to keep it together so well for so long. It's probably just a matter of time until the game destroys itself now.

Edited by Reaperman