IGNORED

Oh well

Maertens29

According to VGA there are only 2 copies of the 1987 version (an 85, which apparently sold for 900 according to VGPC, and my 85+), and no graded copies of the 1982(83?) version.

But...there's only two copies of the 1987 version, VGA says so.......

Actually, I just checked my version it's from 1988, is it even more rare than the 1987 version? Maybe only one exist? (Just kidding, it's the red box version)

Edited by high voltage

Yeah I gotta say I do like Gamester and realize he probably did the vid largely to get responses but I was playing the world's smallest violin for him while I watched that vid.

He complains that the games have gotten ridiculously expensive....as a collector with a video game channel that in all likelihood creates more demand for retro games. Then he uses troll bids on a holy grail of NES items as his first example (the mario NWC cart), pointing out how crazy 100k is and how he could put it towards his kids education--which could be said about ALL the money the guy has ever spent on videogames, most of which I bet any normal non game collecting human would consider ridiculous. As if he's perfectly sensible in ALL HIS purchases but 100k for one game.....well that's just CRAZY TALK!!!!! :-o

He at least goes on to more relateable examples like Little Samson, or Flintstones, which are relevant to a "normal" (but still somewhat crazy IMO) nes collector. But still, how much sense does it make to complain about the values of the most valuable games (probably the upper, what 2% of the whole?) of an 800 game library? IMO he simply wants a complete set and is just upset that the pricing for the final few pieces is beyond his reach.

Talk to me when a normal guy who actually wants to play can't just go buy 50 NES commons for 120 bucks and start a collection in a snap--yeah he's gonna get Jeopardy and 2 copies of Golf, but you can get playable games and still start a NES collection very easily IMO. His stock market comparison is right on but other than that....boohoo gamester. Boohoo.

According to VGA there are only 2 copies of the 1987 version (an 85, which apparently sold for 900 according to VGPC, and my 85+), and no graded copies of the 1982(83?) version.

But...there's only two copies of the 1987 version, VGA says so.......

Two copies in the census that they keep.

The whole market for any type of collectable has a kind of strange cycle.

For some reason everyone wants to start collecting something that they think is fun or they enjoy. Comic books, trading cards, Die Cast cars, POGs, or video games.

People come together and offer opinions on whatever media it is that they collect. i.e. '70s Batman comic books have great artwork and are fun to read or OMFG Masters of the Universe saved action figures.

The people that collect this stuff start pimping the collection they have. What's the point of collecting stuff if you can't show it off? Other people see this and think "Hey, we have a whole box of that stuff in the attic that Jimmy never played with."

This gets unloaded to eBay.

Most of that stuff gets unloaded to eBay in used condition, some of it is still in really good condition. People buy it and since most of it is used, the community that collects this stuff decides to evaluate the condition. Not only that, they come up with a way for everyone to evaluate the condition.

This is where you get the old action figure C scale:

C-10 meaning case fresh and C-1 meaning Ron Jeremy has just removed it from an aspiring actress' rear.

This is where the problem comes in.

The seller wants to maximize profit by advertising the condition as higher than it is, and the buyer wants to get the price as low as possible so they "under grade", saying that the condition is lower than it is.

So a company comes along and says they are going to be an "impartial" judge of what the condition is.

Now, since items can be "impartially" graded, some people that have kept this stuff in really good condition get it graded.

Now this graded stuff goes on eBay. Since not many people have seen high condition stuff like this, bidding goes apeshit.

The one that sticks out in my mind is the VGA 85+ Castlevania that went for 30,000.

Never mind the fact that somebody might have a whole case of sealed Castlevania games sitting in storage somewhere, this copy is case fresh and it's the only one on eBay right now.

IT'S PRICELESS. (say that in Golem's voice please)

So by now, other sellers have seen stuff like this and go apeshit too, sending in as much stuff to VGA or CGC or wherever. They post that stuff to eBay and put some insane price on it. Here's the problem:

Now the market is flooded with overpriced graded stuff that nobody is willing to pay that much for because they can see that it isn't that rare.

The original point of grading was to get an impartial opinion on the condition of something. Then people just went crazy with it. I really think some of the insane buy it now auctions are posted by people that are hoping for someone to click the button when they are realllllly drunk.

I really don't see the problem with somebody getting a video game graded or "slabbed." It's sealed, the owner had no intention of opening it. I don't see the problem with a seller making an honest attempt at selling a graded game.

The issue is John Q Seller looking at buy it now prices on whatever they are selling and thinking that that's what it's going for. Now we are right back where we started.

• Like 1

Two copies in the census that they keep.

Just because two copies actually had morons dumb enough to send them in and pay the fees doesn't mean there isn't potentially pallets of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Nobody with half a brain or common sense takes a risk like that on R1, R2 Atari games.

Yeah I gotta say I do like Gamester and realize he probably did the vid largely to get responses but I was playing the world's smallest violin for him while I watched that vid.

He complains that the games have gotten ridiculously expensive....as a collector with a video game channel that in all likelihood creates more demand for retro games. Then he uses troll bids on a holy grail of NES items as his first example (the mario NWC cart), pointing out how crazy 100k is and how he could put it towards his kids education--which could be said about ALL the money the guy has ever spent on videogames, most of which I bet any normal non game collecting human would consider ridiculous. As if he's perfectly sensible in ALL HIS purchases but 100k for one game.....well that's just CRAZY TALK!!!!! :-o

He at least goes on to more relateable examples like Little Samson, or Flintstones, which are relevant to a "normal" (but still somewhat crazy IMO) nes collector. But still, how much sense does it make to complain about the values of the most valuable games (probably the upper, what 2% of the whole?) of an 800 game library? IMO he simply wants a complete set and is just upset that the pricing for the final few pieces is beyond his reach.

Talk to me when a normal guy who actually wants to play can't just go buy 50 NES commons for 120 bucks and start a collection in a snap--yeah he's gonna get Jeopardy and 2 copies of Golf, but you can get playable games and still start a NES collection very easily IMO. His stock market comparison is right on but other than that....boohoo gamester. Boohoo.

I'm currently creating an nes collection and its not super pricey and I am only collecting the ones I want to play at this point. Ofcourse I'm sure its not even close to as cheap as it was when gamester81 started collecting. Of course collecting something has never been cheap, especially when that something has high demand.

I'm currently creating an nes collection and its not super pricey and I am only collecting the ones I want to play at this point. Ofcourse I'm sure its not even close to as cheap as it was when gamester81 started collecting. Of course collecting something has never been cheap, especially when that something has high demand.

I'm so glad I have no interest in building an NES collection. Buying everything pre-NES is costing me enough. I don't need to compete with the rabid NES groupies!

• Like 3

Do the Mario!
Swing your arms from side to side
Come on, it's time to go!
Do the Mario!
Take one step, and then again.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!
You've got it!
It's the Mario!
Do the Mario!
Swing your arms from side to side
Come on, it's time to go!
Do the Mario!
Take one step, and then again.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!
Come on now, just like that!

Don't ask why. I just felt like adding that to this thread. Carry on.

$50 starting bid with a $130 BIN...LOL!

Perhaps the seller bought the entire ~$120 assessment deal from VGA for grading and originally purchased the game for $5.

Maybe they're looking to just break-even :-D

Yup...Many for under $10 factory new/shrinkwrapped...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xventure+2600+new&_nkw=venture+2600+new&_sacat=0&_from=R40

This guy grades EVERYTHING he can get his hands on. He's quite possibly my #1 annoyance on ebay at the moment....well maybe not. It's hard not to stay annoyed at a couple of old favorites! ;)

I'm starting to see in my world (8-bit Atari) individuals that are "making" rare titles.

Meaning, copy the chips, put them into a housing, recreate the label (while antique'ing it). And there you have it.

As the prices go up, counterfeiting will become more cost competitive.

I posted sometime ago here that how can VGA grade games period, let alone know how many copies are really out there.

If they state 2, and 4 more show up do they offer insurance for their wild predictions?

And what if I open the box and take out the cart and then reseal. I've seen processes that you couldn't tell it was ever opened.

And the seller is betting that a person who buys one will never open it up.

The perfect scam!!!!

• Like 1

^^Not to mention due to the general lack of Quality Assurance by both first and third parties, mismatched games (inconsistensies between what was on the box/label/ROM) were fairly common back in the day. Who's to say if you bust open a factory sealed game, it wasn't mismatched at the actual factory? After all, 50% of assembly workers at Atari headquarters were potheads...

^^Not to mention due to the general lack of Quality Assurance by both first and third parties, mismatched games (inconsistensies between what was on the box/label/ROM) were fairly common back in the day.

I think saying that all of the above was "fairly common" is quite a stretch. Just sayin...

Screw the '87 variant… here's one from 1989. Did I just strike bonanza here or what? VAG grading, here I kum! :lol:

post-13896-0-67041100-1392919036_thumb.jpg post-13896-0-59815500-1392919037_thumb.jpg

…I like how it says it can only be used with the Atari 2600 system. What happens if you try to play it on the 7800? Or the 5200 with the adapter? Or a Gemini? Or a Colecovision with Expansion #1? Or the Sears Video Arcade?

• Like 1

Screw the '87 variant… here's one from 1989. Did I just strike bonanza here or what? VAG grading, here I kum! :lol:

attachicon.gif_IGP7451.jpg attachicon.gif_IGP7452.jpg

…I like how it says it can only be used with the Atari 2600 system. What happens if you try to play it on the 7800? Or the 5200 with the adapter? Or a Gemini? Or a Colecovision with Expansion #1? Or the Sears Video Arcade?

You're not going to open it?

NES is the new NEO GEO

Different game then it was 10 years ago, new crowd, new income, new generation of collectors and of course, new standards.

Sealed works for NES, for the above reasons. I'll admit, they look cool. I'm too compulsive to collect expensive things though, well, not to mention, broke, lol.

In 2004 I purchased a sealed NES system with a sealed super mario bros, Ice Climber and Final Fantasy for around $100 shipped. It was a blind/pictureless ebay auction so I rolled the dice and won. I opened the boxes, sold the box/manuals to tradengames and put the games in my collection and played the NES, lol. They were absolutely mint, wonder how much I would have got for them....oopsies

• Like 2