IGNORED

ABBUC SWC 2014: Dimo's Quest

8Bitjunkie

Thomas, re the interview above, you are watching too much 'Fear the Walking Dead' :)

Or is that 8bit Jedi programmer vision :)

Btw, I don't speak / understand German so was there any other Atari 8bit stuff at that expo?

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Thomas, re the interview above, you are watching too much 'Fear the Walking Dead' :)

Or is that 8bit Jedi programmer vision :)

Btw, I don't speak / understand German so was there any other Atari 8bit stuff at that expo?

What's that? / It's green eyes! / What does it do? / It looks green. ;-)

Just frog power ;-)

The gamescom, as Wikipedia stated, is:

a trade fair for video games held annually at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

It is used by many video game developers to show off their upcoming games and game-related hardware.

Gamescom is the world's largest gaming event, (measured by exhibition space and number of visitors) with apr. 500.000 visitors this year.

there is also a very lange retro area, showing old and new 8 and 16 bit games to the public :-)

90 minutes video: The making of Dimo's Quest: (sorry, german only)
https://media.ccc.de/v/vcfb2014_-_2_-_de_-_medientheater_-_201410041130_-_demake_eines_computerspiels_-_thomas_schulz

btw:
Steve Nicklin is translating the 50 page manual (including the written "making of" ) to english language...
so the english boxed version is getting nearer... :-)

Thank you so much Steve!

• Like 4

Booo...German only........Booo :)

Your English is perfectly good Thomas, any reason non German speakers don't get the goodness?

Many of us would find the video very interesting to hear / read.

Well at least I can watch it...thank you :)

Paul..

Obviously the initial reason its German is where you are at the time, what I meant was just caption subs would be amazing..Just saying oh busy dog shaving man :)

Edit: Excuse my rambling, its just we don't get that sort of video normally and for would be designers and those just interested things like that are amazingly good watches. I don't expect you or anyone to sub it in any form, perhaps I'll try to learn German but I fear I must master my initial language English first :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

its just we don't get that sort of video normally and for would be designers and those just interested things like that are amazingly good watches. I don't expect you or anyone to sub it in any form,

maybe someone can sub it to English subtitles? THAT would be great! :-)

• Like 1

Your English is perfectly good Thomas, any reason non German speakers don't get the goodness?

Obviously the initial reason its German is where you are at the time

Well, I do not think that my English is perfectly good, but thanks ;-)

And of course, you are right. This speech was held in Berlin at the Vintage Computing Festival 2014 in front of a german audience... ;-)

but the essence of that speech forms the "making of" chapter of the Dimo's Quest manual.

When Steve is finished with translation, you will understand the speech :-)

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 2

If I watch enough of these videos, and try to read all my ABBUC disks, I may be able to learn a few words of German. I wish schools in the US, especially for kids, weren't so damn single language. It's better now than in ancient times when I was a kid and Atari computers were on the shelves, but the only extra we get over here is Spanish.

• Like 1

If I watch enough of these videos, and try to read all my ABBUC disks, I may be able to learn a few words of German. I wish schools in the US, especially for kids, weren't so damn single language. It's better now than in ancient times when I was a kid and Atari computers were on the shelves, but the only extra we get over here is Spanish.

If you ever get a chance to actually go to Germany, you'll learn it much faster immersing yourself talking to the locals instead of US School.

In the 3 years I was there while in the Air Force, I picked up quite a bit -> I understand more what I read or hear rather than speak though.

A bit of caution: learn road signs first before going over, there's a popular road called Einbahnstraße -> that road is everywhere :-D

• Like 2

Hello guys

And if you park your car somewhere "Einbahnstrasse" is not the name of the street, so trying to remember that name or even writing it down is of no use what so ever. You will not find where you put your car that way and neither will the police.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Steve provided me with the fist pages of the manual translated in English. Thank you so much Steve!
Have a look: :-)

post-38160-0-49075800-1474394910_thumb.png

"Ahh, what a boring day!", said Dimo the little green frog as he made his way home. He wondered whether he should go on a cheap holiday for a nice change of scenery or perhaps he should just go and hop off into the fields to go and see the vegetables once more. "Oh I wish I could go on holiday", he exclaimed to himself.

However, just as he did, the air began to flicker in front of him and a Royal Fairy appeared right in the middle of his living room!

"What would you like my darling Dimo?", she asked in her ever so sweet voice. Dimo was feeling a little weak at his knees.

post-38160-0-14694100-1474394603_thumb.png

Dimo's jaw was still dropped as the fairy said, "I am the royal fairy and I am looking for a brave frog to be a consort for our Princess Dori!". Long explanations have never been a strength of fairies, however they're probably not paid anything by the King surely? Dimo's jaw raised itself slowly as he said, "Me? I could be...? With the Princess? Married?", which he took his time to stammer through."It's always the same with the simple little peasant frogs I see", thought the royal fairy. Nevertheless, she said in an inspirational confidence building voice, "I'm sure you're the right frog for her highness. Go to the Castle and ask King Greenfoot for his daughter's hand". Encouraglingly she added, "Just walk there you silly Frog".Dimo was still somewhat in disblief. He was busy thinking, "I do not know, I think...". The Royal Fairy then said, "If this keeps on going on, I will miss my favourite TV show tonight. Now go, I do not know what is keeping your here!". Her tone had changed and Dimo felt it.

And so Dimo commenced on his long journey to the royal castle.

post-38160-0-77637500-1474394415_thumb.png

He had so many questions in his head like "was he really the right one? Yes, Princess Dori is an ever so cute Princess, but isn't this just a fairy tale for a poor old frog like him?".

On the other hand, he knew that Dori was somewhat of a stunner but her Father was known to be not the easiest to get on with. Then again, he is the King of all five lands.

But hey, what would it be to score with Dori?!
Oh, but he's not a frog, he's a man. And he can show the King what a frog is capable of.

post-38160-0-04906200-1474394417_thumb.png

From this, he took courage and he entered the castle.

post-38160-0-99965000-1474394354_thumb.png

"Welcome! Now what would be your name, and how can I assist you?", said the King in a pleasant manner.

Dimo snook a sneaky peak at the stunning Princess Dori and stammered, "I am Dimo! My King, I ask for the hand of your daughter Dori".The King needed a full three seconds to take in Dimo's request and to gather the significance of what was being asked. Slowly he looked Dimo from feet up and then from left to right and then burst out laughing saying, "You?! Ha ha ha ha!!! You are not marriage material for my Daughter!". For almost two minutes, the whole castle rocked with the power of the King's booming laughter. He'd been told in previous days that he really needed to start laughing about something for once and this was the perfect chance to do so. Anyhow, the King decided to put on his best smiled and then said, "I've decided, I am going to give you a chance. In my kingdom, there are countless sweets. Bring all of them back to me and you will be allowed to marry my daughter". The King thought that this was so funny and then he looked into Dimo's face. And quite frankly, Dimo looked aghast. He then added an energetic, "Now go!". Dimo just wanted the ground to eat him up, but instead he exclaimed, "Yes my King!" as he ran to the exit. As he went out, the sweetest of words of Dori were said to him, "Good luck Dimo!".

The most wonderful feeling came over Dimo, he had butterflys in his stomach.

post-38160-0-57349900-1474394414_thumb.png

• Like 9

If you ever get a chance to actually go to Germany, you'll learn it much faster immersing yourself talking to the locals instead of US School.

In the 3 years I was there while in the Air Force, I picked up quite a bit -> I understand more what I read or hear rather than speak though.

A bit of caution: learn road signs first before going over, there's a popular road called Einbahnstraße -> that road is everywhere :-D

Oh yeah man...you aren't kidding.

I spent about 10 years learning Russian and hardly anything stuck in my head. It wasn't until I got a chance to go to Ukraine in a Russian speaking area, that I started making progress.

But if you don't have a chance to move 'in country', internet chatting also helps. Just make sure you don't find someone trying to learn English, because they'll turn it into English lessons.

Gotta be greedy when learning. :)

My russian is still crap..not trying to kid anyone, but at least for me, I know what works and what doesn't....now with that said there is some benefit to college courses for learning the grammar rules, you'll be miserable in russian trying to guess the word endings unless you study the rules....but other than that I'd say what doesn't work are books, tapes, courses, pimsleur, rosetta stone....and what does work is talking with people.

• Like 1

Hehe guys... Einbahnstraße yeah you are right... :D never thought about that...

Me speaking German, English, Latin (school...hehe because my mother thought I will go for doctor...), Hungarian, some words in Serbian (me understanding slavian languages more easily I have to admit).

And yes... teach kids as many languages as you can as more cosmopolitan they become (assembler,Pascal, JavaScript,c, c++, logo, fortran etc ;))

• Like 3

When I was learning my (pub conversational level) German, the first thing that I trained myself with was the programme magazine from VfB Stuttgart games.

After a while I found that my German based around football was alright, I learned another few general sentences and then mixed them all up and I could say a lot of what I wanted to say :)

It isn't easy learning a language as an adult though. Learning German though means that I sometimes understand Flemish or Dutch speakers in a small part. Strangely enough, it also made me understand English better. You don't know what you know until you see it from another angle.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Still working on the cart edition, last week I received two prototypes of the 16Megabyte printed circuit boards from Jürgen, I will test it in in my winter holidays :-)
nevertheless it's quite a lot of work to do to fulfill the whole vision for the game ;-)

Evolution of a title picture:

post-38160-0-27785500-1481555129_thumb.png
Dimo' Quest in ABBUC-Land, Disk, 2014 / Dimo's Quest - Lurch Edition, Disk, 2016 / Dimo's Quest - Five Kingdoms, Cart, Spring 2017 - hopefully ;-)

Thanks to Mario for his pixel art!

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 9