IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

【2017年は毎月NEOGEO1本 10月分】REALBOUT餓狼伝説と復刻ポスターげっとおお!!リアルバウトといえばパッケージのかっこよさ!!このタイミグで復刻ポスターが発売して嬉しいです かなり厚く丈夫にできておりとてもおすすめのです #NEOGEO #餓狼伝説 #SNKpic.twitter.com/2389v4bd2R

Translate from Japanese
Translated from Japanese by BingWrong translation?

[2017 is monthly NEOGEO one 10-minute] REALBOUT fury and reprint posters got for you! Speaking bout package cool.! Reprint posters released in this timig, nice pretty thick and sturdy, and is very recommended for #NEOGEO #餓狼伝説 #SNK

DLDMWtCVYAEO_vd.jpg
DLDMWtDVoAA5j2V.jpg
DLDMWtFVYAAKlmV.jpg
DLDMX9tU8AA5W-G.jpg

Anthony...

• Like 1

Fellow Atariage member Darin9999 is really on a role with his scores on Highscore.com. Let's see what he's accomplished.

http://highscore.com

Neo Mr. Do (Neo Geo)
Score: 56,250
World Ranking: 1
Scored By: darrin9999 (DAR)

When: 9-16-2017

100% Legit
Save

avatar71_darrin9999_20160716160650.jpg

Neo-Mr-Do-Neo-Geo-s63781-20170916124241.Neo-Mr-Do-Neo-Geo-s63781-20170916124303.Neo-Mr-Do-Neo-Geo-s63781-20170916124324.
Score: 850,800
Scored By: darrin9999(DAR)

When: 9-11-2017

96% Legit
Save

Garou-Mark-of-the-Wolves-Neo-Geo-s63640-Garou-Mark-of-the-Wolves-Neo-Geo-s63640-Garou-Mark-of-the-Wolves-Neo-Geo-s63640-Garou-Mark-of-the-Wolves-Neo-Geo-s63640-
Robo Army (Neo Geo)
Score: 20,900

When: 9-8-2017

96% Legit
Save

Robo-Army-Neo-Geo-s63535-20170908120951.Robo-Army-Neo-Geo-s63535-20170908121015.Robo-Army-Neo-Geo-s63535-20170908121033.
Captain Tomaday (Neo Geo)
Score: 2,629

When: 9-7-2017

96% Legit
Save

Captain-Tomaday-Neo-Geo-s63504-201709071Captain-Tomaday-Neo-Geo-s63504-201709071Captain-Tomaday-Neo-Geo-s63504-201709071Captain-Tomaday-Neo-Geo-s63504-201709071Captain-Tomaday-Neo-Geo-s63504-201709071

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

My history with 2001: I had a friend (who went on this forum by Robotron) who was a huge Neo Geo collector from the system's launch. He lived near an arcade in Detroit and would hold weekly game nights every friday; since the main crew in the area was into fighting games that was mostly what got played. The arcade in question didn't get KOF 2001, but he did, so every Friday after they closed everyone would come by his place to keep the games going with 2k1 (along with the Neo Geo regulars who were there early). I remember on more than one occasion 15+ people crammed into his living room to watch or play KOF 2001, and one time enough folks showed up that we formed into four-player teams, with everyone taking one character. Is it the best KOF? Nah, it's janky, the music is weird, and the art is bizarre... but it reminds me of those glory days and of him.

League Bowling - similar story. It, along with Mario Kart, almost always got played at some point in the evening as a "cooldown" title.

As for KOF 98, my buddies and I played it a ton on the Dreamcast when that was new, and the Neo version being better and all... but it doesn't have *quite* the same feelings that the other two do, even though I objectively know the game is better than 2001 and have played it more.

But after buying the NeoSD I am in no rush to grab any of these until I find a really good deal... and even then, I already got them!

Love reading Neo-Geo stories like this uber. :thumbsup: Friends playing KOF '98, having fun playing League Bowling. Get togethers playing in arcades and homes. Really must've been exciting times. :)

That really must've been a fun place to be at that arcade. Plus, having people play Neo-Geo like 2001 over at his pad must've been amazing as well. Are you still in contact with Robotron anymore on the forums here and in person?

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

THE KING OF FIGHTERS: DESTINY – Episode 10

10. SIDE STORY- NIKAIDO BENIMARU

No one could stand a chance against Benimaru until he met Kyo. Benimaru begs Kyo for a re-match before mysterious men in black suddently surround Kyo. The men confront and attack Kyo in front of Benimaru. How will Benimaru react to this unexpected brawl!?

10. SIDE STORY- NIKAIDO BENIMARU
かつて無敗を誇った二階堂紅丸。しかし唯一勝てなかった相手、それが草薙京。京との決着をつけるため、再戦を迫る紅丸。そこに謎の男たちの集団が現れ京を取り囲む。京と男たちの乱闘騒ぎの中、紅丸がとった行動とは?

©SNK CORPORATION ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Anthony...

Love reading Neo-Geo stories like this uber. :thumbsup: Friends playing KOF '98, having fun playing League Bowling. Get togethers playing in arcades and homes. Really must've been exciting times. :)

That really must've been a fun place to be at that arcade. Plus, having people play Neo-Geo like 2001 over at his pad must've been amazing as well. Are you still in contact with Robotron anymore on the forums here and in person?

Anthony..

Unfortunately, he died in 2010.

Edited by ubersaurus
  • Like 1

Speaking of which uber, an interesting story about King Of fighters 2001 on how I have the Japanese version of the game and received it for free.

A top rated Japanese seller off Ebay named, "hit-japan" was selling a King of Fighters 2002 for the AES. I wanted that to continue on with my collection in the series. After ordering it and was shipped to my home, they sent the wrong title. Someone that was taking the orders mailed me 2001 instead. :(

After I contacted them through email, they told me that they were sorry and begged me not to give them negative feedback. Then, they even refunded my money (S&H as well) with no questions asked regarding proof that they sent the wrong game! Which I found it unusual for anybody that sells Neo-Geo games not wanting to do so. But what was really the kicker, is they didn't even want the 2001 version back at all. :!:

So I literally have a game that was given to me for free. Never experienced anything like this before. And mostly likely never will again. :)

Anthony..

Hey Ant, you had a big result on that one!

I like Hit-Japan they sometimes throw in FREE shipping on consoles if you ask nicely :)

• Like 1

Hey Ant, you had a big result on that one!

I like Hit-Japan they sometimes throw in FREE shipping on consoles if you ask nicely :)

Thanks Paul. It really blew my mind when it happen. :)

As for Hit-Japan, they're my favorite sellers when it comes to import games and consoles. A little on the expensive side with out bargaining with them, but they always offer quality products and excellent service if you have a problem. As for the free shipping, they always offer it to me since I'm a repeated customer :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Heroines' "Haphazard Odyssey" begins. Chapter 24: Big Sister, Please. #KOF14 #KOFXIVpic.twitter.com/sh5jLNXA74

DL7xAuuV4AAVcgE.jpg

ヒロインたちの"なりゆき大冒険"が始まる! かたてまマンガ「なりゆきクエスト」第24話を掲載!#KOF14 #KOFXIV http://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/kof-xiv/narique/manga/page5.php pic.twitter.com/87Wo5NMR6t

Translate from Japanese

Heroines becoming big adventure begins! Kゑtゑtemゑ manga "progress quest" episode 24-page color booklet #KOF14 http://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/kof-xiv/narique/manga/page5.php #ttps://t.co/YI9hx3E5jx

DL7wV1pUEAAZ0hp.jpg

Anthony..

Hi guys,

PS4/Xbox One「アケアカNEOGEO リアルバウト餓狼伝説」の配信がスタートしました!本作は1995年にSNKから発売された格闘ゲームです。ぜひお楽しみください! http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/realbout.htm pic.twitter.com/oS7mtuhK5b

Translate from Japanese

Delivery of the PS4/Xbox One "ACE ACA NEOGEO real bout fatal Fury" has started! This film was released in 1995, from SNK fighting games. Take a look at and enjoy! http://www. hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/realbout.htm

DL6loqvU8AAEj10.jpg
Thanks. Twitter will use this to make your timeline better. Undo
  1. SNK JAPAN Retweeted

Nintendo Switch「アケアカNEOGEO ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ '95」の配信がスタートしました!本作は1995年にSNKから発売された格闘ゲームです。ぜひお楽しみください! http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/switch/kof95.htm pic.twitter.com/YQl5hRARRH

Translate from Japanese

Nintendo Switch "ACEA CA NEOGEO the King of fighters ' 95 ' of delivery has begun! This film was released in 1995, from SNK fighting games. Take a look at and enjoy! http://www. hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/switch/kof95.htm

DL6mgyTUEAETujW.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

KOFes会場内で販売するアイテムの画像が届きました。 SNKオンラインショップで後日販売予定の京と庵のTシャツを会場でなんと先行販売いたします!一足早く入手できるチャンスです! https://www.snk-onlineshop.com pic.twitter.com/mRa0SICEs9

Translate from Japanese

I received pictures of items sold at the KOFes venue. SNK online shop at a later date t-shirt sales going Kyo and Iori in venues and presale will be! An opportunity can quickly get one foot! https://www. snk-onlineshop.com

DL6JHivVAAAzc89.jpg
DL6JHixUMAAMIV3.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

THE KING OF FIGHTERS: DESTINY: 第11話をSNKオンラインショップ会員限定で先行無料配信中!#SNK #KOF #KOFD 詳しくは> https://www.snk-onlineshop.com/news/kofd-11-senkou/ pic.twitter.com/3bZgRSowlz

Translate from Japanese

THE KING OF FIGHTERS: DESTINY: episode 11 online shop exclusive SNK in during the previous free delivery! #SNK #KOF https://www. snk-onlineshop.com/news/kofd-11-senkou/ For more information: #ttps://t.co/AHokL9mEYV

DL74lGaUIAA_0RB.jpg
DL74mPpVwAEojCX.jpg
DL74nC4UMAAjVgd.jpg
DL74n1cVoAM8VfU.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Great article from gozaimas on neo-geo.com regarding an interview with Yasuyuki Oda who was an SNK employee from the 1990s-2000's, He eventually came back to SNK in 2014. Enjoy. :)

Here's the link to see the original posting and interview on neo-geo.com

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?272691-Yasuyuki-Oda-new-interview-on-Neo-Geo-years-collecting

Also, VGDensetsu on Twitter has a tweet following the amazing discussion gozaimas has accomplished as well. :)

KJW-TU_s_bigger.pngVGDensetsu @VGDensetsu 2h2 hours ago

Interview with Yasuyuki Oda on his career at SNK, the Neo-Geo and some of its rarest games: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?272691-Yasuyuki-Oda-new-interview-on-Neo-Geo-years-collecting pic.twitter.com/wpfHctrygT

DMDC_n8WAAEbXMC.jpg

1. "Yasuyuki Oda - new interview on Neo Geo years/ collecting"

"Earlier in the year I had the opportunity to interview Yasuyuki Oda about his time working as a producer on Neo Geo games for SNK's Game Division Studio 1in the 90s/00s, as well as about the Neo collecting scene today.

Only a few quotations made it into the project I was working on, but there are some total gems here (particularly on location tests, production numbers and why some carts in particular are so scarce -- EURO Kizuna Encounter!).

I figured I'd post it here, as it will surely be of interest to some of you.

.................................................. ...................

Q: When did you join SNK and how did that come about? What were you doing prior to joining the company?

Yasuyuki Oda: Before joining the company, I worked a part time job at a super-market while attending a design school to study animation. After graduating I joined SNK as a pixel artist, and was promoted to game designer about 4 years later. In February of 2000, I actually left the company to join another company called SOKIAK (DIMPS). I joined SNK once again in February of 2014.

Q: What was it like working at SNK in those early years? Can you describe a typical day? Was it exciting, or stressful or something else?

YO: There was never an end to the workload in that period, so my daily routine looked like this:

Monday - Saturday

08:00 Wake-up

08:30 Clean up my desk

09:30 Work

12:00 Lunch

13:00 Work 

18:00 Dinner  

19:00 Work

22:00 Break (Taking a shower, etc.)

23:00 Work

04:00 Sleep

Sunday

Return home briefly in the morning (only had time to go home like once a week…)

Work again from the afternoon. 

As a young man I didn't think anything of this sort of schedule, but when I think back on it now it was like living the life of a “slave” from thousands of years ago. For location tests we actually helped set up the events and such, so I got even less sleep on those nights. (Modern SNK obviously doesn't have these issues! Please don't worry!)

Some of the most exciting times were leading up to and during location tests, but it was always stressful to have bugs pop up right in front of you. Sometimes the players would even get angry or make fun of us, which was tough. However, it was always a great experience seeing the players play our game with my own eyes.

By the time the game was ready for general release in the arcades, I was usually already moving onto a new project so I rarely thought about the previous games I worked on. It may seem weird to the fans, but by the time you were all enjoying the games, for most of the developers the games already felt like the far past.

Regarding the above location test anecdote, I wanted to give a bit more background information. One example I can remember happened here in Osaka at an arcade that was called NEOGEO LAND #1. In those days, there were actually three different NEOGEO LAND arcades in Osaka alone.

I don’t remember what game it was exactly, but that doesn’t really matter because it happened almost every time anyway! Basically, the fans would get a little angry anytime they found something like an infinite combo (an issue where players could be stuck in a simple combo with no way of escaping), a change in a character’s design, or a change to a specific move or technique. Sometimes that would mean they would complain to us directly, but more often they would use the surveys and such that we left there to collect feedback as a way to write all of their complaints down. In the past we actually treated some of the super move command inputs as confidential secrets, and I actually had instances where fans would chase me down trying to pull that specific info from me.

Location tests in that period were almost like a festival, with tons of people lining up in advance of the arcade opening and staying there until midnight that night when the arcade closed. Seeing so many fans enjoy the game over an entire day was a great atmosphere and very fun for me. It was interesting seeing players so dedicated to the event that they would bring their own lunch, or seeing the neighborhood overflowing with cosplayers also attending the event.

Q: What made NEOGEO games different at that time?

YO: I believe SNK’s NEOGEO games stood out because of the number of charming characters that were created and still live on in fans’ minds to this day.

I feel SNK is on a different level in that respect when compared to other companies. As a result, SNK has a large number of popular characters and was able to appeal to a wide variety of tastes. This was the result of each creator paying an incredible level of attention to the designs.

One of the biggest selling points of the NEGEO was the high specs for the time, which allowed fans to enjoy arcade games at home without any hit in quality. At the time, for most home ports of arcade games there had to be significant sacrifices made before they would run on home consoles. Thanks to the large ROM cartridges the NEOGEO used, it was possible for a fan to enjoy their favorite arcade games at home only a few months after the initial arcade release.

I also think there is just the simple fact that a lot of people loved the huge and unwieldy cartridges that came with the system, especially the satisfying feeling and sound when inserting them in the system. Also, our systems did not come with what would be considered a normal controller and instead came with a controller similar to arcade sticks. I think that helped us stand out quite a bit. Thinking back, those controllers were definitely a distinguishing aspect and could easily be seen as embodying the soul of SNK.

Finally, I wanted to touch a little bit on exactly what I mean when I say the artists paid an incredible level of attention to each design.

During NEOGEO’s prime, SEGA and other companies had started to roll out a ton of games using new high-spec 3D hardware. During that time SNK was still focusing on games featuring 2D sprite work, so we had to make up for being unable to use 3D camerawork to create impactful scenes by putting more work and detail into all of our characters and stages. Below, you can find some specific examples of this sort of effort:

Geese Howard:

For his super move, Raging Storm, we re-worked the animations on his fingers specifically in order to make it look as evil as possible. Also, we actually aimed for a Macho Man Randy Savage homage with some parts of his design. Specifically, we based his body type on Macho Man in his later years, trying to nail down a design where he actually looked a bit flabby on the sides.

Kim Kaphwan:

In order to get across how much of a serious, stoic character he is with a strong sense of justice, we made it so that in almost every pose or animation he had always featured a closed fist.

B. Jenet:

Although she can obviously be seen as a sexy design, she was also supposed to be a young character so we gave her some tomboyish poses and spoken lines in order to push her more as a cute character. We did our best to keep her from being simply a sexy blonde character, which is an all too common trope.

Miscellaneous:

In order for our stage graphics to not just look like a world tour of famous locales we came up with the fictional city South Town, and put a lot of work into our character’s backgrounds and settings in order to make them feel like living breathing people.

Q: Why were the home cartridges so expensive compared to those on rival consoles?

YO: As the home console cartridges were actually the same specs as the arcade versions, we were dealing with especially large cartridges and ROMs in order to achieve the quality we wanted. As a result, we really couldn't bring the costs down in an easy manner, and even at those costs I don't think there was a high profit margin. For a home system they were obviously priced very high, however I think the overall size and weight of them actually convinced buyers of their worth.

Q: At what point did you realise that the NEOGEO home console (AES) was becoming a collector’s item?

YO: I actually only realized the extent of the market a few years ago. I just ran across it while surfing the web one day. Just for reference, an average production run for games on the AES ranged from 10,000 to 50,000 units. Some of the really big hit titles ranged from 100,000 to 150,000 units. Some of the lowest production runs were in the several hundred to 1,000-1,5000 copies. I can’t really give any specific numbers for a particular game unfortunately.

Why were the production runs on some European versions of SNK games such as Ultimate 11 and Kizuna Encounter so incredibly small?

YO: For Ultimate 11, it is a pretty basic situation where the Arcade version did not sell well so they didn't produce many home cartridges.

Regarding Euro Kizuna, it's a much more interesting story. Basically, the previous game Savage Reign didn't sell well so they actually had a ton of cartridges left on hand. Kizuna Encounter was actually created by modifying those cartridges as they could share the same programming chip. So the number sent out was directly related to how many cartridges of Savage Reign were left over...

Q: When did you first start to notice that the prices on some cartridges were rising? How did you feel about this?

YO: This was also something that I only realized a few years ago. It is amazing to think that there are people collecting the systems and cartridges to this day. It is interesting to see how the titles with low production runs have continued to rise sharply in value.

Q: Why do you think prices of AES cartridges have risen so much this year in particular?

YO: Even though we have ported a lot of our legacy titles to various console archives in recent years, there is obviously something special about playing those games on MVS and AES NEOGEO systems and I think any modern release will probably cause some people to look back and become nostalgic for the games in their original form.

Thanks to the size and quality, they look great when they are lined up on a bookshelf. It’s quite easy to see why they would be such a sought-after collector’s item.

Q: Do you anticipate the bubble ever bursting?

YO: There really isn't a possibility to remanufacture the products, so I think it will continue on this way. I guess they are basically going to be treated similar to other antiques.

Q: How has the proliferation of bootleg / conversion carts affected the market? Can you personally tell a fake cart from a real one?

YO: I've never actually seen a pirate version, so I don't know if I could tell a fake cart from the real one. I do really hate the people making these pirate versions though.

Q: What is your attitude towards people hoarding cartridges in order to drive up demand?

YO: In some way, reselling is a core principle of capitalism, so I can't really fault them much.

However, I personally don't like this sort of thing at all. Just the other day I tried to pre-order a high quality GUNDAM figure, but it was already sold out mostly thanks to people buying multiples for the purpose of reselling. There wasn't anything I could do about it, which is the worst part.

If we are talking about the game content itself, we have always worked on releasing the titles on new hardware, however in this case it is the cartridge and case itself which is so highly valued, so there is no way for us to control it.

Q: What is your fondest moment of that time, working at SNK?

YO: The base salary was not very good, but I got a ton of bonuses...

However, at that time there weren’t really strict rules on how bonuses were handed out, so it felt like we were at the mercy of our bosses’ mood. Unfortunately, since I was basically living at the office for the entire year I rarely had a chance to even put that money to use! Also, I have always enjoyed the moment when I get to see the reactions from users around the world. It is also great meeting fans at game shows and other events. There is also the fact that a lot of NEOGEO fans went on to work in the game industry and I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with them. At the same time, those sorts of conversations do remind me of my own age…

Q: Do you ever miss working in 2D?

YO: There is obviously a strong relation in most people's minds connecting SNK to 2D pixel art, however for us developers working on the games at the time we didn't really think about it much. It just felt natural to be making 2D games as we were working on the NEOGEO. Also, I personally feel like the possibility to make 2D games will always be there, so I wouldn't say I miss it yet. However, there is always a moment where we have to evaluate whether it makes business sense or not which makes me think a hobbyist or indie approach might be the best bet.

.................................................. ..................

Official SNK biog:

Fighting game producer (Game Division Studio 1) at SNK Corporation.

He was born in 1972 in Hyogo prefecture of Japan.

Oda joined SNK in 1993, and contributed as a director, game designer, and artist to numerous NEOGEO masterpieces including iconic game series such as FATAL FURY, ART OF FIGHTING, THE KING OF FIGHTERS, and more niche titles such as “KIZUNA ENCOUNTER” as well.

He joined Dimps Corporation in 2000, and participated in the development of numerous titles for BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT & CAPCOM.

He finally returned to SNK in 2014 in order to lead the development of SNK’s flagship (PlayStation 4) title “THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV”. "

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Looks like something big is on the horizon with NeoSD soon.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?264067-Voting-is-up-for-DarkSofts-Neo-Geo-Multi-Cart-Design/page29

1. Today, 02:53 PM #703

"Anyways i think that i can tell that one of the 4 projects we are working at is finished, we have entered into production stage.

Expect same quality as NEOSD. Menu, screenshots, nice logo and a pile of features (this time with both hardware and software features), it will give more hardware features than the original hardware does.

The product will be disclossed as soon as we have stock, with a video taken with clear light and such things. We will also answer any question about it as we did with NEOSD (only on neo-geo.com LOL )

We really hope you guys enjoy it, we put a lot of love there.

Alex, "

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2