IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

I've been trying to find a way to use my xbox 360 mortal kombat arcade stick with the supergun. Still searching.

This is what I have:

Wonder how I can get this to work with the supergun.

Looks good. I like it. :thumbsup: :)

I think Reaperman can help you out. He makes pretty cool controllers and takes a lot about super guns. I believe he can help you out Here is his profile.

http://atariage.com/forums/user/17659-reaperman/

Anthony..

I've been trying to find a way to use my xbox 360 mortal kombat arcade stick with the supergun. Still searching.

This is what I have:

[...]

Wonder how I can get this to work with the supergun.

Good news, it's actually pretty easy, and you might not even have to give up the 360 compatibility (though it's probably easier if you do)

warning: in re-reading this, I make it sound harder than it is.

Most superguns are neo geo compatible at their core, though often with extra buttons (make sure to check your supergun model for pinouts)

Assuming the supergun uses a da-15 connector (pictured below) like the neo geo does, it's super easy.

(note that these are also commonly called db-15 connectors, but that's not the 'most correct' name)

nbQLrlKm.jpg

All a neo geo or supergun controller really needs to do is connect signal pins on the joystick port to the ground pin on the joystick port via the microswitches in the controller. Meaning, if you took a paperclip directly to the supergun's joystick port, and stuck one end of it on the 'ground' pin (pin1) and the other end of the paperclip on the 'up' direction pin (pin 15), you would be correctly telling whatever game is hooked to the supergun to press 'up'

There are a lot of ways to wire up a controller to do that connection more easily, but here's a super great and lazy way to do it:

Buy a "da-15 breakout" board, like the one below and a da-15 cable. (make sure your genders on the adapter/cable are correct to get the right gender to your supergun). These things are great because they have nice easy, well labeled screw terminals instead of fiddly soldering. It also makes it easier to change out cables if they get damaged

qdUrmPqm.jpg

I stole the idea from the guy who made this stick, which I somehow wound up with. The breakout board goes inside your stick, and its cable will probably need to have a small hole poked in the case. Make a small hole on an edge, so you don't have to make a huge one for the cable connectors to pass through. That'd be ugly.

Now, get some wire and quick connects of the appropriate size for the mortal kombat stick's switches.

• ...or attach new wire (solder, crimp, whatever) to the existing quick connects that are already there.
  • ...or cut the wires right off the board that's there and use the existing wires (if this is never going to need to be a 360 stick again.)
  • ...or wiring harnesses are commonly available with 'usb encoder' kits (get one that matches your stick type)

Also use braided wire, solid core wire is a pain in the rear for this.

The general theory of wiring one of these up, is that each button or stick input presses an individual switch, which connects a signal to a common ground pin.

See that extra third connector on each switch?--the one that's not used--keep it unused. That's the normally-closed connector, and we don't want it either.

We care about the "common ground" pin (the one hanging out on its own), and the normally-open connection (the other one that's currently used)

What we do is wire all the common ground pins together--yes, we really do this.

Then we provide an individual wire to each normally-open connection

I'm making this sound hard. Look at this instead:

nRRD7Hgm.jpg

Remember that supergun pinout we'll want to use? Well it's probably going to look a lot one of these two that are on a pic I stole from jnx below:

wcw6eiMm.png

All the grounds that are wired together, connect that to pin 1

• Now start wiring the signal pins up. The directionals are pretty easy. *note that pressing the stick in a direction actually actuates the switch on the opposite side. Just press a direction and look at the back and you'll see it. 'Up' is on the bottom, left on the right, etc.
  • Now look at the buttons. Start, A,B,and C will be easy. Find them on the chart, connect their signal cables.
  • The trick is the rest of the buttons. 'D' on neo geo checks for one of two pins (for some stupid reason) . These are pins 4&9. Your 5 button controller will ALMOST CERTAINLY use one of the two D's for some extra button (check your supergun pinout, or start making educated guesses). Pin 2 is another good guess, based on the example pinout above.
  • Your supergun probably also has a 'coin' pin. It's often pretty nice to wire that up to the controller's select button, or something that's available. then you can add coins while seated, in the games which don't have freeplay mode

other things:

• you should not need things from the pinout like +5v unless you use advanced things that need power, like an optical stick (which this is not).
  • Do pay attention to the 'kick' markings on a supergun pinout (like the right side one above). 'Kick harnesses' are how extra buttons are often wired to arcade boards, and your supergun may label extra buttons as such.
  • If the ground wires on the switches (as they are now) aren't currently wired together as a common ground, this stick may never be a 360 controller again. (it may currently do funny things with the ground, especially if the stick has a built-in turbo function). Sometimes they may get their own wire for ease of construction, but the board still treats them as common ground--check with a multimeter if future 360 functionality is important.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/press/2018/042301/

2000px-SNK_logo.svg.png

SNK teamed up with NIS America to hold a special SNK Developers’ Panel Discussion for attendees at PAX EAST 2018. From the SNK side, Lead Artist Naoto Abe was in attendance to discuss his experiences at SNK over the years. The director of SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy, Kaito Soranaka, was also in attendance along with Development Manager Joshua Weatherford and Director of Business Development Adam Laatz. Frank Cifaldi from DIGITAL ECLIPSE also attended the panel as a guest speaker.

The SNK Developers’ Panel Discussion focused on the history of SNK, starting with the company’s inception in 1978 as Shin Nihon Kikaku (which is where the SNK abbreviation comes from!), and then went on to discuss each period in the company’s history in detail including the early arcade game era and the period where NEOGEO hardware and software grabbed the attention of fans around the world. The developers explained how SNK reached the point it is at today through interesting anecdotes and stories. During the discussion, the panel members were also happy to announce both brand-new titles and new content for upcoming titles. SNK fans crowded the event hall and the announcements and stories were met with a lot of enthusiasm and support.

▼SNK Developers’ Panel Discussion VOD link:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/247313509

New Announcements!

SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy

pax02.jpg

SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy Info:

・2-on-2 Fighting game that features SNK’s iconic female fighters

・Coming to Nintendo SwitchTM and PlayStation®4.

・Release for NA/EU regions planned for September 7th, 2018.

・Fan-favorite grappler Shermie was announced for SNK HEROINES at the end of the panel!

▼Shermie Reveal Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nREYtxUwXb8

METAL SLUG XX

pax03.jpg

Metal Slug XX Info:

・Originally released for the PSP in December, 2009
METAL SLUG XX is being fully ported to the PS4, including brand new features and options as well.

・Originally released as paid DLC on the PSP, Leona Heidern will be playable from the beginning!

・Release planned for this Summer!

■SNK 40th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

pax04.jpg

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection Info:

・A collection of arcade and NES games released by SNK during 1979-1989.

・Includes both the arcade and NES versions for any game where both versions exist.

・Includes improved controls for modern devices and 1080p resolution support.
Other unique features will be included to help newcomers meet the challenges these retro games present!

・A new “SNK Museum” mode will also be added which will include high resolution artwork and promotional materials for a multitude of games.

・The Limited Edition will include an exclusive Artbook and Soundtrack.

・Releasing for Nintendo Switch this Fall for NA/EU regions.

・Developed by DIGITAL ECLIPSE and published by NIS America.

INFORMATION

©SNK CORPORATION ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

※Nintendo Switch is a registered trademark of Nintendo Co., Ltd.

※PlayStation and PS4 are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

Anthony

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

1. ROUND4-1更新! 紅丸VSマチュア! http://shonen-sirius.com/series/magapoke/kof-anb/ 次回は5/14(月)配信。ROUND1は全ページ無料公開中! #KOF #KOF_ANB #マガポケpic.twitter.com/vIawyV5yi9

Translate from Japanese
    Translated from Japanese by Microsoft

ROUND4-1 Update! Red circle vs Mature! http://shonen-sirius.com/series/magapoke/kof-anb/ the next time is 5/14 (Mon) delivery. Round1 is open to all pages free! #KOF #KOF_ANB #マガポケ

DaqVv1iUMAAZ_mi.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【SNKオンラインショプ漫画】 第12話掲載です。 「京と庵のバイト物語」アーカイブ https://www.snk-onlineshop.com/parttimestories/ pic.twitter.com/p4bt33nLWq

Translate from Japanese

[sNK Online Shop Manga] Episode 12 is published. "The story of the Kyoto and the Hermitage" archive... https://www. snk-onlineshop.com/parttimestories/

DbdVEd0VQAAzs2Z.jpg

Anthony...

Good news, it's actually pretty easy, and you might not even have to give up the 360 compatibility (though it's probably easier if you do)

warning: in re-reading this, I make it sound harder than it is.

Most superguns are neo geo compatible at their core, though often with extra buttons (make sure to check your supergun model for pinouts)

Assuming the supergun uses a da-15 connector (pictured below) like the neo geo does, it's super easy.

(note that these are also commonly called db-15 connectors, but that's not the 'most correct' name)

nbQLrlKm.jpg

All a neo geo or supergun controller really needs to do is connect signal pins on the joystick port to the ground pin on the joystick port via the microswitches in the controller. Meaning, if you took a paperclip directly to the supergun's joystick port, and stuck one end of it on the 'ground' pin (pin1) and the other end of the paperclip on the 'up' direction pin (pin 15), you would be correctly telling whatever game is hooked to the supergun to press 'up'

There are a lot of ways to wire up a controller to do that connection more easily, but here's a super great and lazy way to do it:

Buy a "da-15 breakout" board, like the one below and a da-15 cable. (make sure your genders on the adapter/cable are correct to get the right gender to your supergun). These things are great because they have nice easy, well labeled screw terminals instead of fiddly soldering. It also makes it easier to change out cables if they get damaged

qdUrmPqm.jpg

I stole the idea from the guy who made this stick, which I somehow wound up with. The breakout board goes inside your stick, and its cable will probably need to have a small hole poked in the case. Make a small hole on an edge, so you don't have to make a huge one for the cable connectors to pass through. That'd be ugly.

Now, get some wire and quick connects of the appropriate size for the mortal kombat stick's switches.

• ...or attach new wire (solder, crimp, whatever) to the existing quick connects that are already there.
  • ...or cut the wires right off the board that's there and use the existing wires (if this is never going to need to be a 360 stick again.)
  • ...or wiring harnesses are commonly available with 'usb encoder' kits (get one that matches your stick type)

Also use braided wire, solid core wire is a pain in the rear for this.

The general theory of wiring one of these up, is that each button or stick input presses an individual switch, which connects a signal to a common ground pin.

See that extra third connector on each switch?--the one that's not used--keep it unused. That's the normally-closed connector, and we don't want it either.

We care about the "common ground" pin (the one hanging out on its own), and the normally-open connection (the other one that's currently used)

What we do is wire all the common ground pins together--yes, we really do this.

Then we provide an individual wire to each normally-open connection

I'm making this sound hard. Look at this instead:

nRRD7Hgm.jpg

Remember that supergun pinout we'll want to use? Well it's probably going to look a lot one of these two that are on a pic I stole from jnx below:

wcw6eiMm.png

All the grounds that are wired together, connect that to pin 1

• Now start wiring the signal pins up. The directionals are pretty easy. *note that pressing the stick in a direction actually actuates the switch on the opposite side. Just press a direction and look at the back and you'll see it. 'Up' is on the bottom, left on the right, etc.
  • Now look at the buttons. Start, A,B,and C will be easy. Find them on the chart, connect their signal cables.
  • The trick is the rest of the buttons. 'D' on neo geo checks for one of two pins (for some stupid reason) . These are pins 4&9. Your 5 button controller will ALMOST CERTAINLY use one of the two D's for some extra button (check your supergun pinout, or start making educated guesses). Pin 2 is another good guess, based on the example pinout above.
  • Your supergun probably also has a 'coin' pin. It's often pretty nice to wire that up to the controller's select button, or something that's available. then you can add coins while seated, in the games which don't have freeplay mode

other things:

• you should not need things from the pinout like +5v unless you use advanced things that need power, like an optical stick (which this is not).
  • Do pay attention to the 'kick' markings on a supergun pinout (like the right side one above). 'Kick harnesses' are how extra buttons are often wired to arcade boards, and your supergun may label extra buttons as such.
  • If the ground wires on the switches (as they are now) aren't currently wired together as a common ground, this stick may never be a 360 controller again. (it may currently do funny things with the ground, especially if the stick has a built-in turbo function). Sometimes they may get their own wire for ease of construction, but the board still treats them as common ground--check with a multimeter if future 360 functionality is important.

Can I just wire it to the board itself?

supergunctrl.png

Can I just wire it to the board itself?

Yep, sure can, but that could get pretty annoying to use or store. Best to use the handy, built-in neo geo style connectors for tangle-free, easy-storing goodness that won't fuse itself into a giant knot, IMO.

There are lots of ways to handle the controller issue, and as long as you're connecting your signals to the ground in some way, it'll work out great.

Often times, those secondary terminal blocks are for hooking up kick harnesses to connect extra button signals from the arcade board, to pass them out the controller port. So it looks like you get your choice of which of the unused pins become your extra button(s) on that one.

Edited by Reaperman

Yep, sure can, but that could get pretty annoying to use or store. Best to use the handy, built-in neo geo style connectors for tangle-free, easy-storing goodness that won't fuse itself into a giant knot, IMO.

There are lots of ways to handle the controller issue, and as long as you're connecting your signals to the ground in some way, it'll work out great.

Often times, those secondary terminal blocks are for hooking up kick harnesses to connect extra button signals from the arcade board, to pass them out the controller port. So it looks like you get your choice of which of the unused pins become your extra button(s) on that one.

Yeah, I'll only use it for testing and waiting for stock to come in when I buy it. I'll def go the connector route you posted earlier, once I get them in.

Hi guys,

From Atariage member Dreamcast Gamer (Dallas)

1. stick around until then!

1 reply 1 retweet 3 likes
    Retweet
    Retweeted
    Liked
    Direct message
    Thanks. Twitter will use this to make your timeline better. Undo
    Undo

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. This morning I felt like playing #FatalFury 2 for #SNES. Love #SNK games on any platform. Also, great game for testing on the @RetroBitGaming #SRTPlus My favorite fighter of all time. Still want the #MegaDrive port. #RensPixels #retrobit #retrogamer #retrogames #bloggerpic.twitter.com/jJaLcV9i9Z

DbPaEztU0AAf7F1.jpg
    DbPaJOOV4AAI4yt.jpg
    DbPaM9JUwAIx9-W.jpg
    DbPaSGBU8AAOMrf.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

And this as well.

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. そんなダイナソーさんが大活躍のKOF XIVはただいま期間限定セール中で、本日が最終日…・゚・(。>д<。)・゚・ 今ならDLCキャラやコスチュームもオトクにゲット出来ちゃうのでお見逃しのないよーにっ!!( ̄^ ̄ゞ 詳しくはリンクをチェックしてね(・ω<)-☆ https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/press/2018/041301/ #KOFXIVpic.twitter.com/QWVeWtfVf1

Translate from Japanese

Dinosaur's big success KOF XIV is now a limited time sale, the last day today... ・ ° ・ (。 >д<。 ) ・ ・ Now you can get the DLC character and costume in the advantageous I do not miss you!! ( ̄ ^  ̄ Isuzu Please check the link. Ω<)-☆ https://www. snk-corp.co.jp/press/2018/041301/ #KOFXIV

DblkS1uVwAAqU1K.jpg
    DblkTSPVAAAuwXp.jpg
    DblkUBQV0AAupwa.jpg
    DblkUfQU8AEEj2x.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. SAMURAI SPIRITS サムライスピリッツ-覇王丸-(旋風裂斬バニラホワイト)” http://bit.ly/2HnFTtz pic.twitter.com/Y0AqBtCLle

Translate from Japanese

SAMURAI SPIRITS Samurai Spirits-Overlord Maru -( whirlwind crack slashing vanilla white) " http://bit.ly/2HnFTtz

DbjIo4qVQAAvEOG.jpg

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. 2018年4月28日(土)からコトブキヤ秋葉原館5Fで開催するイベント『SNK Golden Week Limited Store in KOTOBUKIYA』の先行販売商品になんとハードコアチョコレートとの新作コラボTシャツが追加!https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/event/event-142714/ pic.twitter.com/BVJf90Ejki

Translate from Japanese

The new collaboration T-shirt with hardcore chocolate is added to the pre-sale product of "SNK Golden Week Limited Store in Kotobukiya" event held on April 28, 2018, at the Kotobukiya Akihabara Pavilion 5f! https://www. kotobukiya.co.jp/event/event-142714/

DbmMZk0V4AMCeln.jpg
    DbmMZkfUwAA2OhB.jpg
    DbmMZkHUwAAaxho.jpg
    DbmMZk3UwAAtgzt.jpg

Anthony...