IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

【スーパーミッション開催のお知らせ】

メイ・リーのスーパーミッション開催

1日目と2日目の全ミッションをクリアして ★5 2001 メイ・リーと彼女のSPカードをGETしよう! 開催期間:11/5~11/19 09:59 詳細はこちら▼ https://forum.netmarble.com/kofas/view/9/3701

#KOFAS #KOF
Translated from Japanese by
[Notice of Super Mission]

May Lee's Super Mission Held

Complete all missions on the 1st and 2nd days ★ 5 2001 Get May Lee and her SP card! Holding period: 11 / 5-11 / 19 09:59 Click here for details ▼ https://forum.netmarble.com/kofas/view/9/3701

#KOFAS#KOF

Anthony...

Hi guys,

【コミュニティイベント案内】 ASファイターには不思議の国や ハロウィンの招かれざる客など 様々な名称があります

今回は皆さまが名付け親となり 好きなASファイターにぴったりな 名称をコミュニティにて紹介してください! イベント期間:11/5~11/12 23:59 #KOFAS #KOF
[Community event information] AS Fighters have various names such as Wonderland and Halloween uninvited guests.

This time, please introduce the name that is perfect for your favorite AS fighter in the community as a godfather! Event period: 11 / 5-11 / 12 23:59 #KOFAS#KOF

Anthony..

Hey guys!
Been a little bit since I have posted, but had a scare with my Neo Geo AES last night.  Was playing through Ghost Pilots and getting static feedback in the music / SFX, thought it may need recapping or a reflow on the cart connector.  Put a bit more time into it tonight, played Magician Lord and beat Cyber-Lip, not a single issue.  Must've had some kinda debris in the cart slot or somethin', thankfully the AES is still goin' strong for now though!
Hopefully all's going well for everyone, and of course, thank you Anthony for keeping the Neo Geo thread alive for us all to check in on.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stage_1_Boss said:

Hey guys!
Been a little bit since I have posted, but had a scare with my Neo Geo AES last night.  Was playing through Ghost Pilots and getting static feedback in the music / SFX, thought it may need recapping or a reflow on the cart connector.  Put a bit more time into it tonight, played Magician Lord and beat Cyber-Lip, not a single issue.  Must've had some kinda debris in the cart slot or somethin', thankfully the AES is still goin' strong for now though!
Hopefully all's going well for everyone, and of course, thank you Anthony for keeping the Neo Geo thread alive for us all to check in on.

Hi Chaos,

*Phew*  That really is a scare bro. But glad that all is well with the unit. Ah, a superb choice playing Magician Lord and Cyber-Lip like them both, (Magician Lord being my favorite). As foe me, so far so good Chaos. Doing what I do best with the Neo-Geo thread and welcoming newcomers and vets alike to join us here on the thread. :)

Thank you for the kind words Chaos, Always a pleasure to see you on and posting away with us. Hope everything is fine with you and your loves ones during these hectic times as well kind sir. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Had a great MVS game night with a friend this weekend. We played MVS from 9pm to 1am, many good games and good times!

He brought up this lot for me as well which he was helping a friend sell.  My MVS collection is getting close to done, maybe need another 5-10 carts tops. 

Alright!!:D

Rick having a Neo-Geo night playing with friends all night long. Now that's what I call a great Saturday night event with gamers and Neo-Geo. A perfect way to have fun. A superb choice bro. We hope that you and your buddy had a blast playing Neo-Geo all night long. :thumbsup: :)

Wow! Almost done with your MVS collection Rick?! That's very interesting. Quite an accomplishment on so little time to do so bro. I wish I can do the same with the AES. But of course were glad you're almost at the finish line doing so. :)

Thank you for posting with us as always Rick. Great to see you here and we look forward on seeing more and finishing your collection for the MVS. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

【お知らせ】 「サムライスピリッツ ネオジオコレクション」おんらいんくじ販売中

C賞はアクリルスタンド

今回は橘右京のご紹介

A賞のジオラマと組み合わせると2枚目のようになります

#サムスピおんらいんくじ https://prismchance.jp/product/samuraispirits_kuji_2020/

【Notice】 "Samurai Spirits Neo Geo Collection" Onrain lottery on sale

Prize C is an acrylic stand

Introducing Ukyo Tachibana this time

When combined with the A prize diorama, it will look like the second one.

#サムスピおんらいんくじ https://prismchance.jp/product/samuraispirits_kuji_2020/

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【MSA 更新情報】 11月10日まで「SPECIAL AUTUMN CAMPAIGN STEP UP CRANK」を開催! 「クラリス」「カナエ」「シャルル」を獲得することができます! #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201107_01l7q0f.html

[MSA update information] "SPECIAL AUTUMN CAMPAIGN STEP UP CRANK" will be held until November 10th! You can get "Claris", "Kanae" and "Charles"! #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201107_01l7q0f.html

Anthony..

Hi guys,

【MSA お知らせ】 Ver.5.16.0へのアプリアップデートのため 11月11日 13:00~16:00の時間にメンテナンスを実施いたします。 メンテナンス中はアプリをプレイできませんのでご注意ください。 #MSA #メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201109_01ek41p.html

[MSA Notice] For app update to Ver.5.16.0 Maintenance will be carried out from 13:00 to 16:00 on November 11th. Please note that you cannot play the app during maintenance. #MSA#メタルスラッグアタック https://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/metalslug_attack/news/20201109_01ek41p.html

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

テリーさんと仲良しなねこฅ^•ω•^ฅ #SNK #餓狼伝説 #KOF #ネコ
A cat that is good friends with Terry ฅ ^ • ω • ^ ฅ #SNK#餓狼伝説#KOF#ネコ

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

おはようございます! 庭の植物も秋めいてきて、少しずつ色付いてきました

それに合わせて段々寒くなってきたので、みなさんも風邪を引かないようにお気をつけくださいね〜! 今週もよろしくお願いします

Good morning! The plants in the garden are also coming in autumn, and they are gradually coloring.

It's getting colder and colder, so please be careful not to catch a cold! I look forward to working with you this week as well.

Anthony..

Hi guys,

This morning, we are with Heroes of Fandom. Here we see a fun review of Fatal Fury Special. Great game and a fun video for sure. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"It's time to break away from the main main stream and enter the NEO GEO. Fatal Fury has often been eclipsed by the more widely popular Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but that's a shame because there's quite a bit of charm to unravel here. "

Anthony..

Good afternoon all, it's been a while since my last update regarding my MVS build.  My break from work has come and gone and I managed to get a solid week working on the cabinet.

I'll try and break my update into various sections for you to make it a little easier to follow.

Side Panels

As you’ll be aware I had already cut out the side panels, and cut the slots for the final ’T-Moulding’ to finish.  Whilst marking out the side panels I spent a far bit of time marking out the internal geometry to help me understand where each panel would fix, and how they would interact with each other.  This included troubleshooting a hinged marquee retaining panel, as well as how the bezel, control panel and screen glass all interact and sit with one another.

In the attached pictures I have set about fixing internal mounting points aligned with all of my markings, as detailed above.  Nothing too difficult here, just ensure things are aligned with my markings and fixed secure.  The timbers are essentially just big enough to allow a ledge for the each panel to rest on and attach to.

I have tried to design my cabinet so that all fixings are internal, this is for several reasons:

1. To remove the need for filling lots of holes on any of my external panels.
  2. So that I can apply paint/artwork to individual panels, making for a more manageable process/effective process.
  3. Easier movement of the cabinet as it can be reconstructed in a room of choice.  If fully built this thing will weigh a tonne.

IMG_20201102_104844.jpg

IMG_20201102_121052.jpg

IMG_20201102_121100.jpg

IMG_20201102_121114.jpg

IMG_20201102_162051.jpg

• Like 2

Base

For a while I wasn’t sure how to treat the base of the cabinet, I thought I just might let the bottom rest wherever I dropped the cabinet.  Then I figured wheels would be a good idea for easier movement/relocating within a room.

Given the weight of this unit, which I touched on before, I was particularly nervous about how to tackle having the whole weight of the cabinet, components, CRT monitor all pushing down onto four wheels.  I got to a point where I was overthinking and by the end kept it simple by increasing the bracing timber size, increasing the number of fixings, and doubling up the floor material depth side to side of the floor where the wheels are bolted to the cabinet.  Photos below are the final solution.  So far it seems robust enough for my needs.

IMG_20201103_144459.jpg

IMG_20201103_144505.jpg

IMG_20201103_144512.jpg

IMG_20201103_145133.jpg

• Like 2

Speaker Panel

This is an element of the build where my research led me nowhere.  I found little to nothing on the internet with respect the original cabinets speaker panel.  I went with a very traditional style of slotting the speaker output areas.  On paper and when designing for this I figured this would be a two minute job.  But nothing during this build has been a two minute job, unfortunately.  I had to adjust my technique for creating the slots part way though my work as I wasn’t happy with how things were looking.

Because I opted to use 18mm board throughout the build for all panels (mostly) I figured I wanted to route out a 9mm recess for my speakers to sit in neatly once mounted in the panel, hoping it may have a positive reflection on the sound too.

As the speaker panel abuts the screen bezel I had designed my panel to have a recess for the screen glass to neatly slot into to secure it in place, again I chopped out 9mm deep, by 4mm wide (the depth of my screen glass/perspex).

I’m not incredibly happy with how the speaker panel has come out, and might revisit this one day, but for now it will suffice with a little sprucing up prior to painting.

As mentioned before I wanted all panels internally fixed, and you will see in one of the pictures where I have used internal mounting with braces for for the panel to rest again, the fixings are then screwed through the brace into the rear of the speaker panel.

IMG_20201103_151140.jpg

IMG_20201103_151158.jpg

IMG_20201104_165407.jpg

IMG_20201105_090751.jpg

IMG_20201105_105601.jpg

• Like 3

Screen Bezel

F

airly simple, the screen bezel slips just behind my speaker panel as they intersect at 90 degrees to each other.  As per my speaker panel this is fixed from the rear, using the same style bracing system, which is plenty strong enough to hold up this panel.

I cutout the screen aperture (I’m using a 21” CRT, a little smaller than the standard 25” usually in these cabinets, but still a CRT :)  ).  I added a small radius to the corners of the screen, which allowed me to run a 1/2” roundover to the finished edge to hopefully set it off a little against the screen.

IMG_20201105_121232.jpg

IMG_20201105_130247.jpg

IMG_20201105_130253.jpg

• Like 3

Coin Door

Again a simple panel, with the aperture for the coin door centrally located and cutout.  The coin door (a Suzo Happ, Over/Under door) I sought out to best replicate the originals.  I would like to change my coin return from yellow to red when I get a chance, but that can wait for the minute.  At present the coin door has 25c (quarter dollar) mechs, which I think I will leave alone and keep (I’m in the UK), I’ve managed to get hold of a very small handful of quarters from eBay, but like the idea of this running of US currency (going for the historical accuracy ? ).

The biggest issue I had with the coin door design was how it would interact with my floor.  The wheels I added to the floor were designed to be discrete and only lift the cabinet 10mm from the floor.  Because of this there were a few careful measurements which had to be calculated to ensure the beefed up floor of the cabinet doesn’t clash with the coin bin at the base of the coin door.  Thankfully the time spent working it out was well spent as all sits nicely together.

The coin door is braced as per the speaker panel and bezel, at the top of the panel, and beneath the cabinet floor, I do also have interim modesty blocks further securing the panel in place.

IMG_20201105_144447.jpg

IMG_20201105_145945.jpg

IMG_20201105_150950.jpg

IMG_20201105_151201.jpg

IMG_20201105_151242.jpg

IMG_20201105_151708.jpg

• Like 3

Control Panel

The control panel has taken a hell of a lot of my thoughts when it has come to the design and replication.  As with all of this build I have wanted to get as close as I can to the original design of an MVS cabinet (within reason), the control panel has been no exception.

For those unaware the original control panels are metal, and follow a very nice set of 90 degree bends, where it returns on itself and culminates in a hinge that mounts it to a panel at the top of the coin door panel.

I have to accept my limitations on this build, I am not familiar with working with metal, so decided a wooden panel would have to suffice.  I spent a long time looking at how to build this control panel through the medium of wood, whilst creating something accurate and true to the original.

My design ended up consisting of four panels, which are doweled and glued together for strength (no screws - sticking to my desire not to have to fill any holes).  A fifth panel sits ontop of the coin door panel where the panel is hinged, to enable access to the MVS board, etc..,.

Again on paper this all seemed feasible, and within my abilities to undertake.  I repeat, on paper.  This was probably the one job I had built up in my head as being the most critical in relation to precision of cuts and routing on my part.  For several reasons:

1. I had purchased a new reproduction of an original one slot control panel overlay.  As the original panel is all flush across the top, I didn’t want to have my overlay (2mm thick) standing proud of the rest of my panel.  I had to ensure all of my cuts were square and accurate to allow the overlap to sit nicely with my control panel.
  2. I have opted to use Sanwa JLF joysticks in my panel, my control panel is 18mm thick, so to enable the correct mounting height I needed to route out both a hole for the base of the Sanwa’s to drop into the panel and a10mm drop to mount the sticks at precisely 24mm to bottom balltop.  To do this I made up my own template which I cut out of some scrap material.
  3. Sanwa OB30 screw in buttons, again I had to route out half the material of the panel to enable them to fit, as they are quite shallow in depth.
  4. I’ve never jointed boards with dowel and glue before, so this was a critical element as accuracy of the joints needed to be fairly spot on so all of the rounded edges flowed together, I setup a jig for this purpose, thankfully all worked out.
  5. With the control panel being the main point of contact/interaction from the player I wanted to ensure it felt as high a quality and feel as I could achieve, and inline with the original design.  I studied lots of pictures and to get as close as I could to make this look genuine, and going back and forth I decided to get the right flow of angles I went with a 10 degree uplift on the panel, and 1/2’ roundover for the returning edges of the panel.

The control panel is not entirely finished, aside from the paint/finish, I have yet to attach my upstand where the control panel meets the screen glass, also I am awaiting some black coach bolts to hold down the overlay to my panel.

IMG_20201105_171753.jpg

IMG_20201106_162346.jpg

IMG_20201106_174923.jpg

IMG_20201106_174809.jpg

IMG_20201107_110702.jpg

IMG_20201107_123017.jpg

IMG_20201107_141144.jpg

IMG_20201107_141315.jpg

IMG_20201107_155306.jpg

IMG_20201107_155321.jpg

IMG_20201107_181135.jpg

IMG_20201107_185540.jpg

IMG_20201107_185628.jpg

IMG_20201108_103609.jpg

IMG_20201108_191557.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mike7599 said:

Hey guys I did a quick review of a Samurai Shodown V perfect cartridge I picked up from China.  Check it out:

Hi Mike,

Glad to see you back on with us and thank you for sharing this awesome video of your Samurai Shodown V Perfect MVS cart. It's really cool and I wouldn't mind purchasing one myself for the collection. Nice color on the shell. Looks really sharp for sure. :)

Anthony..

11 hours ago, Bod2019 said:

Good afternoon all, it's been a while since my last update regarding my MVS build.  My break from work has come and gone and I managed to get a solid week working on the cabinet.

I'll try and break my update into various sections for you to make it a little easier to follow.

Oh my goodness!!! :-o :-o :-o

What a weeks it must've been Bod. What amazing progress you achieved in so little time. I have to admit, I wish I had the skills and equipment to build what you're doing Bod. Nothing like building products with your own two hands. Feels like you can accomplish anything you want once you have your mind set on bro. 

Everything looks so perfectly done just like the works SNK done with their versions. Now we really can't wait to see what the final pics will reveal on what you done with this replica unit. I shared a pic on Twitter to see for them to come by to view the rest from you Bod. I didn't want to spoil the followers so they can see for themselves on here what you finished so far. This will definitely make their day once they view it bro. :)

Keep up the great work as always Bod. Really exciting and this will start our week right after seeing these pics. :)

Anthony..   

• Like 2