IGNORED

Project -L

voltron

Perhaps you should research what a backhanded compliment is. It was indeed a backhanded compliment and fairly rude with a lot of negative implications.

Seriously ? :-o

This is a great topic for a wonderful announcement. Peace guys. We are different, so, we have to accept our differences. Don't fight here, it's not the place for.

• Like 2

Ok so what exactly is this Project L thing? I saw mention of it in the Intellivision Flash Back coming to Retail Thread and found the Project L thread but saw nothing about a multi game cart, I have the Cuttle Cart 3 but that is no longer for sale. Is this multicart (LTO) simular to the Cuttle Cart 3 or is it the CC3 re released?

Welcome to the forums! The Flashback will have a great lineup of games, but definitely consider buying an original console to open you up all of the 3rd party and homebrew games that didn't make it on the Flashback. A multicart (LTO Flash) was recently announced (visit the 'Project L' thread), so if you can track down the ROMs this can save you from buying all of these games in their original boxes (some of which are rare and pricey).

Ok so what exactly is this Project L thing? I saw mention of it in the Intellivision Flash Back coming to Retail Thread and found the Project L thread but saw nothing about a multi game cart, I have the Cuttle Cart 3 but that is no longer for sale. Is this multicart (LTO) simular to the Cuttle Cart 3 or is it the CC3 re released?

Welcome to the forums! The Flashback will have a great lineup of games, but definitely consider buying an original console to open you up all of the 3rd party and homebrew games that didn't make it on the Flashback. A multicart (LTO Flash) was recently announced (visit the 'Project L' thread), so if you can track down the ROMs this can save you from buying all of these games in their original boxes (some of which are rare and pricey).

My bad. Two different incompatible products.

The Flashback is a smaller console with built in games (no cartridge slot) that is being released by Intellivision Productions.

LTO Flash is a multicart (flash-based cart compatible with the original Intellivision) that can be loaded up with a ton of game ROMs (not included). You should be able to fit every game on the cart and toggle from game to game via the menus. New homebrews may also opt to release their ROMs (cheaper than CIB) and they should be compatible with LTO Flash. It's similar in function to the Intellicart or the Cuttle Cart 3 (CC3), but not affiliated with Schell or the CC3. LTO Flash is a collaborative project by Voltron, Elektronite (William), intvnut, and intvsteve (intvfunhouse.com)

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

So, can someone please provide a synopsis of the podcast for those who haven't heard it?

-dZ.

This one's only about an hour long. I'll expand a little on cmart's synopsis:

• Great intro by Paul (as usual)
  • Voltron gave backstory on TOP SECRET / Psychotron and what became of it.
  • William and Voltron then brought Joe in, who, as you'd expect, already had lots of amazing ideas ready
  • Joe elaborated on the history, introducing us to Stadtler and Waldorf, the origins of JLP, and how Locutus assimilated the other project
  • William recruited me to help out by writing the PC-side user interface apps (Mac and Windows)
  • We intend to have product available at CGE. It will NOT be limited to that, of course. No exact numbers for production runs have been announced.
  • LTO Flash! comes with a high-quality serial cable, manual, and beautiful gatefold box. Software will be downloaded.
  • Some demo ROMs may be included with the product. This is still in flux.
  • Joe also provided some more details and we all had a great time!
  • Paul, in case it hasn't been said enough, has great interview skills. He wrangled us into getting almost everything in one take and did an incredible job turning it into a podcast only a few hours after we recorded the raw audio. Amazing work!
Edited by intvsteve

Synopsis. INTV related, You must listen to it. :)

Will listen to it tonight. :)

This one's only about an hour long. I'll expand a little on cmart's synopsis:

• Great intro by Paul (as usual)
  • Voltron gave backstory on TOP SECRET / Psychotron and what became of it.
  • William and Voltron then brought Joe in, who, as you'd expect, already had lots of amazing ideas ready
  • Joe elaborated on the history, introducing us to Stadtler and Waldorf, the origins of JLP, and how Locutus assimilated the other project
  • William recruited me to help out by writing the PC-side user interface apps (Mac and Windows)
  • We intend to have product available at CGE. It will NOT be limited to that, of course. No exact numbers for production runs have been announced.
  • LTO Flash! comes with a high-quality serial cable, manual, and beautiful gatefold box. Software will be downloaded.
  • Some demo ROMs may be included with the product. This is still in flux.
  • Joe also provided some more details and we all had a great time!
  • Paul, in case it hasn't been said enough, has great interview skills. He wrangled us into getting almost everything in one take and did an incredible job turning it into a podcast only a few hours after we recorded the raw audio. Amazing work!

Thanks for that! 8)

So, can someone please provide a synopsis of the podcast for those who haven't heard it?

-dZ.

A new Intellivision MultiCart is headed to your Intellivision this summer. Originally codenamed: Locutus, the LtoFlash is the final name. This user friendly 'drag and drop' based multicart should be available for purchase by the arrival and revealed at the upcoming retro gaming convention CGE 2k14. A price point is an estimated $119.00 and comes in an Elektronite produced gatefold box with manual. The initial production run should be plentiful and if there is a sellout, more units will be made. More info on ordering will come out soon from LEFT TURN ONLY. Some highlighted features are:

Official name is: LtoFlash . Codenamed Locutus

Produced by Joe Z, William M, Steve O, and VOLTRON!

Very user friendly

No Sd card needed

Usb2 cable included

More integrated and turn key than cc3

Limited DRM capability, some purchased rom games could only play on your personal LTOFLASH

Download ROMS on self contained cartridge connected to modern pc

Flash on board

Built in file system

Drag and drop game ROM loading user interface

Menu system on PC and Cartridge

Gatefold Elektronite box, new art, same artist, prints in July, artwork is retro futuristic

Steve Orth programmed interface

Compatible with all existing original mattel games

Potential future multiplayer through USB connected through serial link with special program

Developers may load ROMS instantly

1MB of memory

Field upgradable by flash updates

All current game ROMS works on all systems and accessories

Initial production run should have plenty available

Estimated retail price of $119.00

Possible launch at cge 2k14

• Like 3

DZ-Jay, on 20 Jul 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:snapback.png

However, I truly hope that DRM does not become the defining feature of the future of the Intellivision.

DZ brings up an interesting point about DRM. I think it is how alot of "retro" guys, and even modern gamers (or anyone) feels about DRM.

NO ONE thought DRM would ever come to OUR RETRO SYSTEMS. Intellivision was safe from DRM in the minds of everyone, is Atari and CV next?

Should it even be a concern to us? I doubt it.

Im not trying to make a backhanded comment either! People should discuss DRM and how they will relate to LOTFLASH and the future of rom downloading.

ok.....enough seriousness for me........

here is a graffik showing how some people feel about drm!

NOT how I feel about DRM or LTOFLASH.

post-19433-0-63040600-1405896381_thumb.jpg

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 1

Can the roms on tthe Intellisivion Lives! and Intellivision Rocks! CDs be directly copied off the discs and loaded into the LTOFlash cartridge or will there be some DRM key one will have to buy in order for them to work? Whichever the case, I am psyched to see this come to fruition. Can't wait to purchase!

Wanted to send a quick thanks to Joe, William, Voltron, & Steve and anyone I might have missed for what looks like a wonderful product at a reasonable cost which will help to move more volume/generate more revenue. Also want to quickly thank Paul, Rick and company for another awesome mini podcast! Keep up the great work everyone!!

Can the roms on tthe Intellisivion Lives! and Intellivision Rocks! CDs be directly copied off the discs and loaded into the LTOFlash cartridge or will there be some DRM key one will have to buy in order for them to work? Whichever the case, I am psyched to see this come to fruition. Can't wait to purchase!

If you have the Lives! or Rocks! CDs that have visible ROMs, you should be able to drag those into the GUI and run. From what I recall, the ROMs were only visible on the Windows side of the Windows/Mac hybrid CD, and not visible on the Playstation or other versions. This is no change from what you could already do with the Intellicart or CC3. All the existing ROMs out there still work like they always did.

If someone chooses to sell or otherwise make available a ROM for the LTO Flash! that's locked to that unit, that's an entirely separate thing. If folks never use the feature, that's fine too. LTO Flash! plays standard, no-DRM ROMs just like the CC3 and Intellicart did.

NO ONE thought DRM would ever come to OUR RETRO SYSTEMS. Intellivision was safe from DRM in the minds of everyone, is Atari and CV next?

Should it even be a concern to us? I doubt it.

FWIW, this isn't DRM in the sense of "you need an always-on Internet connection so I can verify you're still allowed to play this game." This is more like old school copy protection, which was invented on these 80s systems. ie. it's more akin to the physical cartridges you already can't easily copy.

If you have the Lives! or Rocks! CDs that have visible ROMs, you should be able to drag those into the GUI and run. From what I recall, the ROMs were only visible on the Windows side of the Windows/Mac hybrid CD, and not visible on the Playstation or other versions. This is no change from what you could already do with the Intellicart or CC3. All the existing ROMs out there still work like they always did.

If someone chooses to sell or otherwise make available a ROM for the LTO Flash! that's locked to that unit, that's an entirely separate thing. If folks never use the feature, that's fine too. LTO Flash! plays standard, no-DRM ROMs just like the CC3 and Intellicart did.

FWIW, this isn't DRM in the sense of "you need an always-on Internet connection so I can verify you're still allowed to play this game." This is more like old school copy protection, which was invented on these 80s systems. ie. it's more akin to the physical cartridges you already can't easily copy.

After the recent Xbox One DRM stuff, some people, maybe even me are turned off by the mention of DRM, im quite sure LtoFlash is nothing like this.

Maybe drop the term DRM..... :P

Paul, in case it hasn't been said enough, has great interview skills. He wrangled us into getting almost everything in one take and did an incredible job turning it into a podcast only a few hours after we recorded the raw audio. Amazing work!

Thanks, Steve, that's very kind of you to say.

I don't normally get stuff out there that quickly (again, just ask Will, or Rick.... or most of our listeners!), but I was so psyched about LTO Flash, and the enthusiasm of all you guys involved in the project, it was my pleasure to do it. Thanks for agreeing to let the story be broken on the show.

That said, if you guys had talked for 6 hours, well... that would have been a different story...

Anyway, congratulations on a 'game changing' device for our favorite console! Literally, and functionally!

• Like 1