IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Hello, I have continued to work in this version of 4k and I saved about 74 bytes more, changing the kernel and other routines (and now other 17 bytes more thanks to omegamatrix), I'll try to add messages "ready!" and "game over" (but small), and the 3 intermissions and if there is space, a title screen. :)

DINTAR816 should probably edit his very first post and add a link to the reply that has the most recent version. He then just needs to update that link anytime he posts a new ROM.

To get the link, click on the #xxx in the upper right corner of the reply. This reply is #270 and clicking on it yields up this URL:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/?p=3082779

As a reference, see my first post for Draconian.

I had thought to put the latest updates in the first post, but it's also a good idea to add the link to the reply of the most recent version of the ROM. :)

If anything, we should stick to the Japanese original names. IIRC the "energizers" are called "power cookies" there.

And the "monsters" are based on Obake no Q-Taro, a Japanese cartoon "ghost" .

You'll have to change all these names as well:

post-33189-0-57362100-1412117071_thumb.png

(From the Japanese Famicom ROM)

Pretty funky if you ask me. :P

Edited by stardust4ever

Pretty funky if you ask me. :P

...but of course as we all know now, much much more descriptive of the ghosts behavior and personalities. :)

Red - Blinky: Oikake - "Akabei" (oikake-ru = to run down/to pursue/to chase down). Or of course the english "Shadow".. the guy is literally on your tail and can be thought of as your shadow

Pink - Pinky: Machibuse (machibuse = performing an ambush). Or in the english "speedy". He is indeed just as fast as Blinky and works with him to ambush and cut you off.

Blue - Inky: Kimagure - "Aosuke" (kimagure = fickle/moody/uneven temper). Or in english "Bashful". He is unpredictable. Sometimes he follows you, sometimes he goes away from you.

Orange - Clyde: Otoboke - "Guzuta" (Otoboke = Pretending Ignorance). The nick "Guzuta" means someone who lags behind). Or of course "pokey" in english. The guy is slow. He's always going somewhere on his own. But he does sometimes successfully cut you off, but almost never outright chases you.

Also the ghost are presented in order of their palliate (not to be confused with "palette" - they are not the same - look it up in a dictionary):

Blinky = Fruit Punch

Pinky = Bubble Gum

Inky = Blue Raspberry

Clyde = Orange Flavor

Double Blind taste tests from seasoned Pac veterans indicate that Blinky is the most appetizing; Clyde being the least so. The "Blind" portion of the study indicates once you eat a power Pellet, the ghosts all look the same. After eating a ghost, you have to watch it regenerate to see what it was. Overall, Think Dum-Dums or Air-Heads "mystery flavor" which you cannot tell based on the wrapper what flavor you will get underneath. Blinky is the most satisfying entree by far. Except for the fruit bonus! :P

= = = = = = =

Also on occasion, Pacman will get ill from eating too many pellets. Fortunately, the game offers several medicines to cure Pacman's many ailments:

Blinky = Robitussin

Pinky = Pepto Bismol

Inky = Milk of Magnesia

Clyde = Metamucil

And probably the grossest on of all:

Power Pellet = Suppository! :rolling:

Edited by stardust4ever

Also the ghost are presented in order of their palliate (not to be confused with "palette" - they are not the same - look it up in a dictionary)

palliate

Verb: palliate  pa-lee,eyt

1. (law) lessen or to try to lessen the seriousness or extent of
    "The circumstances palliate the crime";
    - extenuate, mitigate

2. Provide physical relief, as from pain
    "This pill will palliate your headaches";
    - relieve, alleviate, assuage

palate

Noun: palate  pa-lut

1. The upper surface of the mouth that separates the oral and nasal cavities
    - roof of the mouth

palate

Touch your tongue to the top of your mouth. What you are touching is your palate.
Palate is often used when discussing taste in a broader sense, as in:
chocolate cake is pleasing to the palate.

A person with an expensive palate only likes high-priced culinary treats.
Someone who tastes slight nuances in food is said to have a well-developed palate,
and someone who only likes fancy food is said to have a sophisticated palate.
In reality, there are no taste sensors on the palate –– they have well-developed tongues.
But that doesn't sound sophisticated at all, does it?

palette

Noun: palette  pa-lut

1. The range of color characteristic of a particular artist, painting or school of art

2. Board that provides a flat surface on which artists mix paints and the range of colors used

3. One of the rounded armor plates at the armpits of a suit of armor

pallette

Noun: pallette  pa-lut

1. One of the rounded armor plates at the armpits of a suit of armor

pallet

Noun: pallet  pa-lut

1. A portable platform for storing or moving goods that are stacked on it

2. A hand tool with a flat blade used by potters for mixing and shaping clay

3. A mattress filled with straw or a pad made of quilts; used as a bed

4. [non-standard] The range of color characteristic of a particular artist, painting or school of art
    - palette

5. [non-standard] Board that provides a flat surface on which artists mix paints and the range of colors used
    - palette
  • Like 1

Hello, I have continued to work in this version of 4k and I saved about 74 bytes more, changing the kernel and other routines (and now other 17 bytes more thanks to omegamatrix), I'll try to add messages "ready!" and "game over" (but small), and the 3 intermissions and if there is space, a title screen. :)

I had thought to put the latest updates in the first post, but it's also a good idea to add the link to the reply of the most recent version of the ROM. :)

The rom link is not in the first post.

Done. The link is now on the first post. :)

I think topic starters should be allowed unlimited edits of the first post, subscriber or not, so people don't have to hunt through pages of fluff to get the info they need.

Even those of us who have read every post may have trouble relocating the info in a long thread.

• Like 3

wow. i was just playing this on a 2600 sixer with harmony cart. i have no idea how you got this to sound so good, but the intro music sounds just like the arcade....i had no idea this was even possible on the 2600! and in only 4k? freakin' awesome. this is the version that atari SHOULD have made back in '82 (or whenever)!

• Like 1

Hi, I'm here again with a new update of the rom.

I have added the 3 intermissions, although a little different to the original. :grin:

In this version I changed some routines to save space in rom, with that I saved a total of about 11 bytes, 17 bytes more thanks to omegamatrix, and the other 74 bytes that I saved when I modified the "kernel".

With the remaining space in rom, I'll try to add messages "ready" and "game over" and I would like to add a small title screen.

Meanwhile I'm still working on the 8K version, I have an idea of ​​how to make the title screen, I'm also doing the " variable flicker" or "inteligent flicker" and other things. :)

pacman2600_all_int.bin

• Like 16

Thanks so much for putting so much time and effort into this game! I downloaded the most recent ROM with the intermissions and discovered exactly how badly I suck at PacMan. The first intermission looks great. Couldn't even make it to the second one, let alone the third. But now at least I have a new Atari goal: see all 3 intermissions in Dintar's 2600 PacMan! Lol!

Edited by 24Fanatic365

Thanks so much for putting so much time and effort into this game! I downloaded the most recent ROM with the intermissions and discovered exactly how badly I suck at PacMan. The first intermission looks great. Couldn't even make it to the second one, let alone the third. But now at least I have a new Atari goal: see all 3 intermissions in Dintar's 2600 PacMan! Lol!

Use SELECT to change the starting fruit. You will see the second intermission after the fifth stage (1st apple). I forgot what level the last intermission plays because I never got that far playing strait through.

Use SELECT to change the starting fruit. You will see the second intermission after the fifth stage (1st apple). I forgot what level the last intermission plays because I never got that far playing strait through.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Pac-Man/Getting_Started#Intermissions

• Like 1

I tried to check out the 3rd intermission. I selected the first key, and I cleared 4 screens. I never saw the intermission. I believe it first appears after the 2nd Galaxian (I am not sure of that).

I am pretty sure the intermission repeats after every 4 screens cleared thereafter.

Would that logic eat up any of the precious bytes left? It is kind of nice to have a break on the higher levels, but "Game Over" and "Ready!" are also nice.

Regardless. This is incredible.

I have added the 3 intermissions, although a little different to the original.

So...

1. Just wider instead of taller/wider.

2. No nail or tear.

3. No torn/sowed following / no disrobed running away.

Still CANNOT believe there's three intermissions, along with all the (Arcade-like) sounds and sights (Monster behavior and patterns) of this port within 4K...Hats off to you, sir.

WOW.

8K? Ha! You could probably make Pac-Land...Ok, a little bit of a stretch. ;)

Seriously, bravo DINTAR816...Standing O.

I tried to check out the 3rd intermission. I selected the first key, and I cleared 4 screens.

Select Galaxian ship and clear 1 screen instead. :)

post-18-0-99120800-1412694676.png

ok. Just played the latest and have a couple of points of interest as well as questions..

Is the intermission music interm? Or is that pretty much what we are gonna get?

Is it possible to display the score when eating the fruit?

When going by the monster cage when blinky was coming out in the arcade I should have been able to pass through him. I don't know if it is possible to simulate this behaviour.

I noticed that shadow doesn't chase me down as badly as on the last build I tried which is a good thing.

That being said. Things are looking great!

The one nitpicking thing I would add is sometimes in this version Pacman finishes the stage with his mouth still open. It may be a function of whether he's facing up/down/left/right or completely random,.

Not sure if this is something that's too hard to change but of course in the arcade version he always ends a stage with his mouth closed completely. It would just add that extra bit of arcade "closeness" that's all. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

The one nitpicking thing I would add is sometimes in this version Pacman finishes the stage with his mouth still open. It may be a function of whether he's facing up/down/left/right or completely random,.

Not sure if this is something that's too hard to change but of course in the arcade version he always ends a stage with his mouth closed completely. It would just add that extra bit of arcade "closeness" that's all. :)

I think it's just whatever position Pacman is sitting in when he munches the last pellet. It may depend on the position of said pellet or the route Pacman takes to get there. I've played lots of Pacman ports and it seems the position (mouth closed, narrow, or wide) at stage ending occurs at random.

I think it's just whatever position Pacman is sitting in when he munches the last pellet. It may depend on the position of said pellet or the route Pacman takes to get there. I've played lots of Pacman ports and it seems the position (mouth closed, narrow, or wide) at stage ending occurs at random.The

The ACTUAL ARCADE version always starts and ends with Pac-Man's mouth closed. Ms Pac-Man always Started with it open. (I think ended open too).. However, I am sure the arcade Pac-Man was closed. He would never stop in a corner in the ball position either. Ms Pac-Man does.

Starting with open mouth was one of my pet peeves about the 5200 version, and maybe the NES.

ok. Just played the latest and have a couple of points of interest as well as questions..

Is the intermission music interm? Or is that pretty much what we are gonna get?

Is it possible to display the score when eating the fruit?

When going by the monster cage when blinky was coming out in the arcade I should have been able to pass through him. I don't know if it is possible to simulate this behaviour.

I noticed that shadow doesn't chase me down as badly as on the last build I tried which is a good thing.

That being said. Things are looking great!

Creating a 100 in player format would probably take about 8 bytes of memory. The other fruits would also need 8-bytes per score, up to the 5,000 key. I think that would eat up the 74 bytes in a hurry.