IGNORED

New 3DS & 3DS XL coming

Mendon

Repeating my comments from KLOV (sorry for the repetition)....

I love my 3DS XL but I really don't find anything compelling in this new machine.

Second analog stick - barring any amazing new games that will make use of this I don't see this as a big advantage. None of the games that need a second stick thus far are very appealing to me. And it looks fairly bad in implementation.

Besides, I got Wii Motion Plus and did anyone support that? Nope.

Wider viewing angles - my guess is this doesn't mean a sweeping new range of viewing, more likely if you sit at specific places you can see the 3D.

Personally I won't be playing at odd angles, I will still hold it straight ahead.

Extra shoulder buttons - see my Wii Motion Plus comment above, also these look to be in a bad position.

Built in NFC - I don't see a lot of portable use for Amiibo, I could be wrong

Faster processors - okay this could be significant, maybe. Assuming the new device sells really well and depending on what games come out that "require" the faster processor I will hold off in dismissing this as a must-upgrade feature.

So far, my present 3DS XL has nothing to worry about.

A few thoughts.

1. The improved 3D is a VERY important upgrade. I don't really know what games you play, but any action type title is near worthless with 3D on as you have to keep the damned system nearly frozen dead center. Street Fighter, Starfox, etc.... forget it, I always start "seeing double" as I play every once in a while as the 3D effect just goes barely out of perfect center. Another thought is showing your friends the screen for a few seconds. Ever notice when you turn the system around to show the system, the first thing they do is jump back startled because the image is screwed up as you're not turning the device towards them perfectly centered to their face? Happens to my wife and my father all the time. It would be nice to be able to show off what's on screen in perfect 3D, even if I'm not aligned up with them perfectly when I turn the system away from my face and towards theirs.

2. The C stick is very important. Not for the 3DS... for it's successor. But it's nice to see that they included it here as it's now all but confirmed it'll be on the successor. That and 4 triggers are here now. 4 triggers is something not even the Vita has. I'll agree with you that they don't look to be in the best of positions, but if they're more for seldom use than action use (think bumpers on a controller instead of triggers, which are used all the time) I don't see a problem with the slight reach. Heck they did it on the Classic Controller on the Wii. So I like they've got the leg up on that, and finally have a portable with perfect 1:1 controls as their home consoles. The stick looks like it'll function just fine. It's not for precision work like moving your character, but simply for quick adjustments for a camera. You might not play games that use dual sticks, but it doesn't mean dual sticks aren't important to game play of many genres, FPS, TPS, and 3rd person adventure games especially. Also, the Wii Motion Plus has come in handy quite a bit. Heck, you can't play TLOZ SS without it...

4. The DSi had a faster processor, too. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll see a huge upgrade, and this late in the game, just like with the DSi, I doubt you'll see many games taking advantage of it. Much of that power will go towards it's eye tracking system that improves it's 3D functionality, I'm sure.

5. I agree. Your XL is more than safe, as the 3DS in general is not dead. Unless you NEED "new 3DS" games, like the GB Color or DSi software before it, you'll be more than content with your older model. This is no more important than those other two minor updates.

We know nothing about Nintendo's handheld successor to the 3DS line, let alone that it has a 2nd analog stick. Even if it does, why is it important that this 3DS revision and a handful of software support a 2nd analog stick?

They're just standardizing the Circle Pad add-on. I don't think it's particular significant or will lead to many more games supporting the feature.

Edited by Atariboy

We know nothing about Nintendo's handheld successor to the 3DS line, let alone that it has a 2nd analog stick. Even if it does, why is it important that this 3DS revision and a handful of software support a 2nd analog stick?

They're just standardizing the Circle Pad add-on. I don't think it's particular significant or will lead to many more games supporting the feature.

Why would they go backwards? Sorry, just curious on your opinion here, not trying to be mean or anything. Genuinely curious. They obviously see a need for a second joystick (like everyone has seen now in the gaming industry). Why would you go back to just one after introducing a second stick? Heck, the Wii U has a second stick (as opposed to the Wii). Why go backwards?

lol

Yeah its a yearly thing it seems.

The problem I have is when the wife starts catching on and looks at you like WTF?

angry-wife1.jpg

New 3ds, whatever...Nintendo does this all the time. I'm going to sit this out since I barely played my DSi, which didn't add much to the DSlite. I was hoping for an awesome App Store and we didn't get that until the 3DS.

What I want to know: do you refer to your mate as "the wife" to her face? I guess it's just as well you're afraid of her, you probably deserve it. :-P

Why would they go backwards?

I wasn't suggesting that they would go backwards. But we literally know nothing about Nintendo's next generation plans, so as I see it, a 3DS hardware revision could hardly be significant where Nintendo's next generation hardware is concerned.

The C stick is very important. Not for the 3DS... for it's successor. But it's nice to see that they included it here as it's now all but confirmed it'll be on the successor.

But in view of your most recent post, I think I understand what you were saying here. You're interpreting this as a sign that Nintendo's next generation hardware will more than likely carry over the 2nd analog stick that has now been added to the 3DS.

Seems a reasonable assumption.

Edited by Atariboy

It looks good to me. This is SOP for Nintendo and I like the looks of it. I ~hope~ it doesn't blow up in their face but as long as they're releasing Pokemon games I'm sure they'll do fine. Plus I'm sure they want to get the 3DS compatible with Amiibos. Preorders have been good for those things though with Skylanders and Disney Infinity, I can't help but wonder if Amiibo is going to be on the downspin for this toy/video game hybrid thing.

@Atariboy. Yep that's what I meant :). Makes me more excited for their next gen hardware than anything else. Could care less about this system itself though :).

So does this mean the ammibos will need some clunky scanner for non new 3dses? For a portable wouldn't that be kind of annoying.

Repeating my comments from KLOV (sorry for the repetition)....

Wider viewing angles - my guess is this doesn't mean a sweeping new range of viewing, more likely if you sit at specific places you can see the 3D.

new3ds3d.png

Personally I won't be playing at odd angles, I will still hold it straight ahead.

One thing I'm wondering about the 3DS: I frequently play games in total darkness with the screen dimmed all the way. In fact in a typical home lighting, I never turn the brightness up unless I'm outside or in a brightly lit office environment. But will this tracking system work for playing games in the dark? I often have to turn off 3D when I play Mario Kart, because I squirm too much. Other game types like 3D Land or Zelda it is fine, but not racing. If I'm laying in my bed face up at night playing on my 3DS in total darkness, will it still be able to track my eyes?

Edited by stardust4ever

I think they're fragmenting the market too much here, ala Sega. I guess they're desperate to try to differentiate themselves from cellphone games, so they're trying anything.

I don't know if I can drop another $200 on **another** DS console. The game market is going to be very small for a while. The extra "analog stick" looks like a ridiculous nub; if it had an extra real analog stick (like the 3DS perhaps should have had to begin with), then it would be more compelling.

We'll see, but Nintendo's problem (lately) has been the development/procurement of great games, and not a problem with the exisitng hardware. After all, the Wii U's hardware is pretty capable enough, and look how long it took for games that took advantage of it. I suspect a similar problem, here.

lol

Yeah its a yearly thing it seems.

The problem I have is when the wife starts catching on and looks at you like WTF?

angry-wife1.jpg

LOL, my fiance hates games, but I've never known her to beat me upside the head over them. Still, you don't want to cross her. Frying pan lady might have some issues, unless she's a victim of domestic abuse, in which case extreme measures are warranted. It can work both ways, ie it's not always the guy doing the abusing. Still, she looks kinda hot: simply give her some Prozac to warm her up a bit... :love:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I think they're fragmenting the market too much here, ala Sega. I guess they're desperate to try to differentiate themselves from cellphone games, so they're trying anything.

I don't know if I can drop another $200 on **another** DS console. The game market is going to be very small for a while. The extra "analog stick" looks like a ridiculous nub; if it had an extra real analog stick (like the 3DS perhaps should have had to begin with), then it would be more compelling.

We'll see, but Nintendo's problem (lately) has been the development/procurement of great games, and not a problem with the exisitng hardware. After all, the Wii U's hardware is pretty capable enough, and look how long it took for games that took advantage of it. I suspect a similar problem, here.

You don't need to spend 200 dollars on a new 3DS. But they know that in this smart phone world, where tech is released every year, they have customers who want the latest and greatest... even if it doesn't actually give them much new.

I think it's one of those, "If people will buy it, why not" senarios. As long as you don't get suckered in, and you're happy with your current model, you're good to go. :)

And kinda on topic - not - really, I kinda wish Nintendo would hire a lot more designers to make Wii U 1st party games. I mean, heck, if 3rd party support is in the toilet, they need more than 2-3 releases every 6 months.

Hope you can transfer your paided VC Games from the 3DS to the new one

Probably a system to system transfer, if you can at all. I don't think currently you can with 3DS, only Wii U.

Basically, wait and see and don't sell your 3DS until you get the new one and word that it's possible.

Nintendo might be hoping that there's a distant chance that might encourage the author that's hacked open the 3DS with a Wii style homebrew channel, with lifting region locking supposedly a major goal, to change his plans.

On the off chance Nintendo does this, I would expect it to honor currently region locked releases. Probably would only apply to new releases, perhaps only those that are New 3DS only titles.

Is there even much in the way of interesting imports for the 3DS?

Edited by Atariboy

@Mendon: On the topic of region unlocking, I seriously doubt Nintendo will do that.

So far there is only one retail 3DS card in existence that is not region locked: The Louvre museum app. This I can understand because it's an "edutainment" title available for purchase at the museum gift shop, which is visited daily by people from all over the world, so excluding non-Europeans or offering three retail packages instead of one would be dumb. Currently the only workaround for region lock is to import the console + games. Yes it sucks and there were a handful of titles I imported from Japan on GBA (Famicom Mini SMB2j aka Lost Levels was one, as well as a handful of Artstyle games), Super Princess Peach (JP), Picross 3D (JP), and Giana Sisters (EU, German box). Needless to say all three of those DS games eventually made it to North America, but the option to play them years before they arrived stateside was nice to have regardless. I also own a heathy collection of Famicom and Super Famicom carts.

Fun fact, several DSi-Enhanced titles were region-locked, meaning they will play on out-of-region DS but not DSi. Good reason to hang on to those original "phat" models! :D

As for hacking or soft-modding modern consoles, I would be weary of performing alterations on any modern consoles, as system updates could break the hack or worse brick the console. Additionally, malicious, hacked, or poorly written software could potentially corrupt the firmware and brick the console. Classic example, the Flash-Me alternate firmware for DS phat caused numerous bricked systems when Mario Kart wrote to an address previously reserved for Wifi connection data. Flash-Me firmware placed part of it's code in this area, causing later wifi-enabled games to brick the console once wifi profile data was saved. A patch was quickly released but not before lots of gamers bricked their systems attempting to go online with Mario Kart.

To perform similar hacks on modern hardware that employ automatic updates, is essentially playing Russian Ruelette. You simply don't know if anyfuture updates will break the modification, potentially bricking the console, or not. Modding of any kind voids the warranty, so no way to get a replacement.

Fun fact, several DSi-Enhanced titles were region-locked, meaning they will play on out-of-region DS but not DSi.

Nope, the region locking still applied to DS and DS Lite hardware for such titles.

And as far as I'm aware, every last DSi Enhanced title was region locked. In fact, that's why they were DSi "enhanced" 99% of the time. Just a handful actually took advantage of the DSi hardware.

Only about five retail titles in the line actually required DSi hardware due to taking advantage of the extra resources available. And the vast majority of DS compatible releases in the line optionally utilized none of the DSi's features like the camera, the faster processor, and the additional RAM when played on a DSi/DSiXL. They performed exactly as they did on DS/DS Lite hardware, they were only classified as such in order to be region locked.

The only exception I'm even aware of off hand that was DSi Enhanced and compatible with original hardware that could optionally take advantage of the DSi's faster ARM9 clock speed and the quadrupled RAM is the Sonic collection. Likely not the only one, but they were very much the exception to the rule.

99% of these DSi Enhanced releases were just shovelware anyways.

To perform similar hacks on modern hardware that employ automatic updates, is essentially playing Russian Ruelette.

The 3DS doesn't update itself automatically. When it's turned off, it's turned off. And I'm 99% sure that when you're prompted to update when you're using the system, that you can decline if you wish.

So as on the Wii, only update when you know it has been confirmed to be safe to do so. Even then, I don't recall any Wii update ever bricking homebrewed Wii's. The most it ever seemed to do was break the exploit forcing you to reinstall the Homebrew Channel and such.

Edited by Atariboy

Only about five retail titles in the line actually required DSi hardware due to taking advantage of the extra resources available. And the vast majority of DS compatible releases in the line optionally utilized none of the DSi's features like the camera, the faster processor, and the additional RAM when played on a DSi/DSiXL. They performed exactly as they did on DS/DS Lite hardware, they were only classified as such in order to be region locked.

Depends on the definition of "utilize", because unoptimized games could absolutely benefit from a faster CPU.