IGNORED

New 3DS & 3DS XL coming

Mendon

@Atariboy: some of the "enhanced" titles were under the hood stuff. For instance, many wifi enabled games could access DSi internet settings to connect to wifi routers using AES encryption rather than the inferior WEP supported by DS software. Others let you take a selfie with the embedded webcam and use it as an avatar in game, while other tacked on other bonuses which were gimmicks at best. I never owned any retail titles that explicitly required DSi but I was aware that some existed. DSi wasn't rapidly adopted by consumers, plus I felt burned by the DSi xL when it came out because if I got one, there would be no way to transfer the software. And when 3DS came out for a time Nintendo was selling DS Lites, DSis, DSiXLs, and 3DSs side by side on store shelves. I pitied the people still buying DS Lites knowing they were buying an inferior tech soon to be outdated, yet at the same time I was kinda peeved there was nothing much to do with 3DS besides play DS games, tinker with the camera, AR games, and Street-pass (which was useless for a while when nobody else owned a 3DS), at least prior to the massive online/eShop update followed by Ledgend of Zelda OOT and summer/fall games slowly trickled in. I always said, release Mario title, and fans will come. 3D Land and MK7 resurrected 3DS from the same old "doomsday" predictions as are MK8 and Smash Bros on Wii-U. If I have to make a prediction, the 3DS reboot will go under utilized in the software support category just like the DSi did. End wall-of-text. :P

According to this it's region locked:

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2014/09/03/nintendo-is-missing-out-by-region-locking-the-new-3ds

I dont import that much and its usually titles I can live without.

I've imported for the Saturn, PS1-->PS3 and the PSP. I also pulled in some homebrew imports on the Wii.

Can't think of any other platform I did it on. So for me no big deal but I do agree with most of the pleas that they should ditch this practice.

Depends on the definition of "utilize", because unoptimized games could absolutely benefit from a faster CPU.

Unless the game was specifically programmed for it, they run just as they would on a regular DS. Clock speed on the ARM9 drops to the default and they only utilize 1/4th of the RAM.

DSi wasn't rapidly adopted by consumers

The vast majority didn't even have any gimmicks. I imagine some took advantage of the enhanced internet end of it as you said, but most DSi Enhanced titles were shovelware aimed at children. Wasn't a lot of connectivity in such stuff.

Almost all of this stuff just selected this classification because their publishers don't like their releases being region free and pick the option as a rule whenever it's available.

Unfortunately for those hoping this New 3DS line will take off with lots of quality software (Something I just don't see happening), this is entering the lifespan of the 3DS right about the same time as it did for the DS with the DSi (Which only accounted for ~25% of its install base with most coming after new development had largely ceased on the system). Sales are stagnant or worse on the 3DS today and starting a general decline with its best years likely behind it.

I'd be surprised if when all is said and done, this revision accounts for more than 20% of the system's install base and just a handful of games that truly take advantage of its extra processing power.

If full DSi games didn't gain traction with a quarter of the over 150 million DS systems sold having been DSi models, I don't see this New 3DS line ever getting the critical mass on this platform to justify much in the way of development tailored for it specifically.

Edited by Atariboy

Well, when I saw this article I groaned heavily and cast my sad eyes upon my current 3DS. However, I've decided to pass on this for now and continue to grow my 3DS library with games, especially ones coming up toward the end of the year. Perhaps in a couple of years, maybe (distant maybe), but in the meantime my current 3DS has my attention and a solid place for my gaming needs.

According to this it's region locked:

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2014/09/03/nintendo-is-missing-out-by-region-locking-the-new-3ds

I dont import that much and its usually titles I can live without.

I've imported for the Saturn, PS1-->PS3 and the PSP. I also pulled in some homebrew imports on the Wii.

Can't think of any other platform I did it on. So for me no big deal but I do agree with most of the pleas that they should ditch this practice.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Most disappointing as there are several Japanese titles I'd like to import.

(closes wallet.... moving along, nothing to see here)

considering the purpose of the 3DS was the, well, 3D part, I'd say yeah, the 2DS was a pointless POS.

Sure, it's cheaper, but you loose the ONE appeal in getting the thing IMO. Yeah, there are games just for it, (the 3DS I mean) but as that's an argument for any system in existence, that's not really an argument is it?

I'll have to see about picking one of these new 3DS's up though, yeah, I know it's a stop gap, or there will be a new model next year, but it added the circle pad accessory as part of the hardware (something I wanted) and well, mine is dying.

Edited by Video

considering the purpose of the 3DS was the, well, 3D part, I'd say yeah, the 2DS was a pointless POS.

No, 3D was just a feature. The purpose was to play a new generation of Nintendo software. Software which supported both 2D and 3D.

And it's not pointless when it was aimed at younger children, a demographic that they caution against using the 3D effect. Cheaper price, no hinges, and no 3D made for a very sensible option for parents and a segment that has always been important for Nintendo.

Even more than a few adults appreciated this option and bought it for themselves. I bet the time spent in 3D mode on 3D enabled 3DS systems playing 3D compatible software (So not including time with the Virtual Console, DS games, etc.) is probably under the 50% mark. Not a shock that some appreciated the option to buy a cheaper, more robust 3DS minus the 3D.

Heck, the main reason I'm not overjoyed by this news (Beyond being a realist in regard to how much in the way of New 3DS software we're likely to get in the end) is that I was hoping for a 2DS XL to add the one thing I felt was missing from the regular 2DS. Clearly I didn't get that.

I guess they figure the larger screen and the added size and weight that it entails didn't play well with the group they're primarily going after with the 2DS.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I just finished the Console Wars book detailing Sega's rise and fall. It was a bit funny to read about the 32x/Sega CD/Saturn debacle then see these new 3DS systems announced. I'd like to own one but I find it pretty off putting, to be honest. I have an XL and it seems like obsolescence was a bit too quick on this one.

The 2DS doesn't bother me as it has a pretty clear slot for children with it being more approachable to hold and no risk of 3D hurting their little eyes. I also can't picture a 2DS only game. I'm not sure if there is a kid's setting on the 3DS XL as I keep it up mostly but any time he's nabbed my XL he managed to turn on 3D.

I just finished the Console Wars book detailing Sega's rise and fall. It was a bit funny to read about the 32x/Sega CD/Saturn debacle then see these new 3DS systems announced. I'd like to own one but I find it pretty off putting, to be honest. I have an XL and it seems like obsolescence was a bit too quick on this one.

Damn I still need to read mine. Then again I'm going in for colon surgery in a few months, so it may make good reading material while I'm laid up in the hospital.

The 2DS doesn't bother me as it has a pretty clear slot for children with it being more approachable to hold and no risk of 3D hurting their little eyes. I also can't picture a 2DS only game. I'm not sure if there is a kid's setting on the 3DS XL as I keep it up mostly but any time he's nabbed my XL he managed to turn on 3D.

Nintendo only added that "no 3D under 6" clause to prevent frivolous lawsuits. There is no evidence that usage of 3D effects of children under 6 will cause eye problems. On the contrary, it may actually help to strengthen children with eye problems such as lazy eye or problems with depth perception, etc...

My primary interest in the "new" 3DS is the tracking feature for 3D viewing, but I wonder if it will work in the dark. I spend lots of time playing in the dark, and as I said earlier, for frantic games such as Mario Kart, I squirm too much which breaks the 3D effect.

Damn I still need to read mine. Then again I'm going in for colon surgery in a few months, so it may make good reading material while I'm laid up in the hospital.

Have a speedy recovery --> Books and especially a 3DS\DS is your best friend when your stuck in a hospital even for a few days. Been there before and boredom creeps up on you quick. :|

Maybe its just me, but I think that the game releases over the last year or so have much less intense 3D than the near launch titles did. As an example, I have played both Pokemon X & Y and even with 3D turned up almost full, the 3D effect just isn't that noticeable. But Star Fox and Ocarina of Time both made very, very good use of 3D. Any thoughts?

Also, think about the Xbox360 and PS3 selling 4gb and 12gb systems..... for myself, I can't see buying a console with that limited amount of storage, especially since I have a Gold membership with free game DL's. But there might be people who aren't interested in that feature and want to save a few bucks, so these lower cost consoles make sense So perhaps there are also people who aren't interested in the 3D, so for them the 2DS makes sense at a lower price point.

Maybe its just me, but I think that the game releases over the last year or so have much less intense 3D than the near launch titles did. As an example, I have played both Pokemon X & Y and even with 3D turned up almost full, the 3D effect just isn't that noticeable. But Star Fox and Ocarina of Time both made very, very good use of 3D. Any thoughts?

Yeah, it's intentional. People whined that the 3D gave them headaches, so devs turned the effect down a bit in later games. I wish they hadn't; there's a damn slider to control that.

Yeah, it's intentional. People whined that the 3D gave them headaches, so devs turned the effect down a bit in later games. I wish they hadn't; there's a damn slider to control that.

I did get the headaches early on. Then I started using the slider turned to halfway and the headaches went away.

I see this as no different from what Apple does with the iPhone. Add little hardware features with each tick hardware cycle. Tomorrow every tech journalist is going to be praising Apple for inventing a phone with a 5.5" screen! Never mind the fact that 5.5" screens are so 2010 and are available everywhere!

You going to confuse people again, Like you did with the Wii U's name

Underline that sentence! "New 3DSXL" is going to - predictably - confuse the hell out of parents. Right next to it on the shelf will be a brand new "Old 3DSXL."

How about "3DSXL Plus" or something? Brought to you by the same clueless marketing folks that didn't think "Wii 2" or "Super Wii" was a good name.

I see this as no different from what Apple does with the iPhone. Add little hardware features with each tick hardware cycle. Tomorrow every tech journalist is going to be praising Apple for inventing a phone with a 5.5" screen! Never mind the fact that 5.5" screens are so 2010 and are available everywhere!

But Apple's 5.5 inch screen will no doubt be of the fancy "retina display" variety where it has pixels so small you need a microscope to see them. Waste of technology if you as me. It's like saying "it is technologically possible, therefore it is necessary to do." Newsflash: Jumping off bridges is also technologically possible despite advancements in guardrail safety! :o

The pixels on my Wii-U gamepad are visible but they are hardly bothersome at all. Then again, this is coming from someone who games on an Atari, NES and loves all things pixel related... :P

Neat, but I'd rather have seen a basic attempt to make the exterior look like the NES exterior instead, with the inside being styled after the NES controller with the red buttons, red button lettering, etc.

In other words, just what they did with the SP a decade or more ago.

gbasp_nes_classic.jpg

• Like 1

Really strange announcement and I will never, ever figure Nintendo out. Just a week ago they announce a new system with new and better features but yet before that system comes out in NA they now announce a plan to release more bundles (NES, Persona, Pokemon, Smash Bros.) of the older system. :?

Yeah, I know its a cash grab on those that collect Nintendo, but at $200 a pop, how does anyone afford to collect 3DS systems?

Edited by Mendon

I feel a little bit bummed by this announcement. I have the Classic NES Edition Game Boy Advance I bought in 2004, shortly after my first GBA, a black/Onyx SP. Considering I am now waiting for the "New" 3DS to drop, which I plan on upgrading to in the near future, it is hard to justify the purchase. With downloadable content tied to one 3DS (although I am free to move it to a new model), the spare 3DS "NES" Edition would have limited use to me once I transfer everything to the "NEW" 3DS. With the GBA, at least I can play games on either the original sideways purple model, or one of the two GBA SPs. Once I transfer my account off the "NES" 3DS to the "NEW" 3DS, what would I use it for other than to look pretty? Suddenly due to account lockdowns, owning limited editions or multiple consoles becomes less appealing... :P

• Like 1