IGNORED

GoSub for INTV

atari2600land

The reason I put the sub at the top is because there is nothing up there. But I put the sub at the bottom anyway and delayed its entrance on the screen. I also added another wreck sprite so now there are two.

Fair enough. So here's an idea (which I actually thought about while watching the sub at the top): it goes into the screen at the top from the left side, leaves through the right side; and then comes back in at the bottom from the right side.

Lather, rinse, repeat. What do you think?

Like this:

Awesome! I like it a lot. :)

I think it gives it a bit more context into what the game is about. The screen is not only interesting, but it tells you right there that the "Sub" in "GoSub" is for a submarine, not just about submarine mollusks.

What do you think? It's your game after all.

-dZ.

By adding a line something like this:

SPRITE 2,(171-X1)+$300,(Y1 XOR (80 XOR 10)) +$100,(256+52)*8+2

To the title screen loop, you could add an octopus that is doing the opposite of what the sub is doing.

Is it fun? Or too cute?

attachicon.gifmvi_0024.gif

Actually, based on the concept that the title screen should say something about the game, his original title screen chase animation from before I gave him the fancy graphic should be used. Have the Octopus chasing the sub, but I'd have the Y location change randomly within the empty areas after they exit and return.

• Like 1

To the title screen loop, you could add an octopus that is doing the opposite of what the sub is doing.

Is it fun? Or too cute?

Cool! made me to smile :) remind me kind of Pacman.

• Like 1

Actually, based on the concept that the title screen should say something about the game, his original title screen chase animation from before I gave him the fancy graphic should be used. Have the Octopus chasing the sub, but I'd have the Y location change randomly within the empty areas after they exit and return.

Maybe set the speed at a random rate, and sometimes the sub gets caught... .

/haven't played it yet.

Is it fun? Or too cute?

Is it fun? Or too cute?

i actually like it better without the octopus. There is already a huge animated octopus which gives us the idea already that there is an octopus in the game. I do like the sub going on the top and bottom of the screen though Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

A problem i found. In the latest version i never heard a ping until i reached level 4. I suck and lost all my lives on level 4. I only heard one ping and it was right before i died on my last life.

Edit: made it to level 6 and only got one ping. It was on level 6 on my first life

Edited by pimpmaul69

i actually like it better without the octopus. There is already a huge animated octopus which gives us the idea already that there is an octopus in the game. I do like the sub going on the top and bottom of the screen though

Actually, now that you say that, I think my original intention as stated in a post near the beginning (or a PM to the author) was for the Octopus's eyes to follow the sub around...

Edited by Tarzilla

Actually, now that you say that, I think my original intention as stated in a post near the beginning (or a PM to the author) was for the Octopus's eyes to follow the sub around...

i was going to suggest that until i realized the eyes followed the music which i like. He could do both. Switch between center and the direction of the sub so the eyes keep the beat of the music Edited by pimpmaul69

i actually like it better without the octopus. There is already a huge animated octopus which gives us the idea already that there is an octopus in the game. I do like the sub going on the top and bottom of the screen though

I agree, the rather large octopus in the center already covers that.

That'll be cool, although I kinda like that the Octopus shifts its eyes to the music.

i was going to suggest that until i realized the eyes followed the music which i like. He could do both. Switch between center and the direction of the sub so the eyes keep the beat of the music

That's an idea. Although it may be more trouble than it's worth.

A little bit of code rewrite. Since the keyhave and keynoisetimer variables are the same in just about every level, I deleted them from the data charts. It didn't seem to save any room, the size of the game is still 11.5k. I also added a level 27.

Edited by atari2600land

Torpedo first impressions:

Well, I crashed a couple dozen times trying to use the torpedo at first.

But, now that I am getting the hang of it, I think it might make the game too easy.

It is fun to shoot the octopus, though...

When the octopus is coming in from the left and I try to shoot it, the torpedo hits the wraparound point and disappears. Could it go further?

Catsfolly

But, now that I am getting the hang of it, I think it might make the game too easy.

When the octopus is coming in from the left and I try to shoot it, the torpedo hits the wraparound point and disappears. Could it go further?

Catsfolly

An Idea I passed on earlier was more of a limited use smart bomb/hull zapper like they used a few times in the old Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea show. If the octopus got too close you could hit the zapper and if the octopus was close enough you could zap it and send it scurrying to a random location or corner. To earn more there could be a bonus level every 5 levels where you could earn extra zappers. Plenty of possibilities for bonus mini games.

Catsfolly

i like it hitting the wrap around point. Makes u have to time between when you kill an octopus and when the next one spawns to send yourself through the wraparound. I also think the game is well balanced with the torpedo. Some levels you will die trying to use it and the complex levels still present a challenge in my opinion. This game happens to be my new "play every day" game. Space patrol was the only one i had until i discovered this one. I really like this game. I dont skip levels except to check em out. I like the challenge of going through it. I think if you do release it on cart there should be no mention of level selecting. Make it an easter egg for people who dont follow this thread. Edited by pimpmaul69

I like the idea of a torpedo, and like Catsfolly said, it's fun to shoot at the Octopus--especially after playing the game so much. That said, I think it makes the game even easier than before. Maybe the supply of torpedoes should be limited?

Also, I recommend making the torpedo a little thin line rather than a big block, like it is now.

• Three torpedoes seems fitting, good.
  • I like the missile/lives counter.
  • I suggest that instead of words, you use icons for the counters. The Lives counter can be a smaller version of the sub, and the Missiles counter could be a bomb-looking thingy.
  • I like that the sub explosion goes through more than one animation frame. It reminds me of old-school games. However, it should completely disappear on game over.
  • I am not sold on the lives counter changing when you start moving. I recommend following the old-school rule of thumb:
    • If you introduce the play-field without the player's avatar first, then you discount the lives when you introduce the sprites. This impresses on the player that his next life is taken from the available set at the start of the level. This is the way that Pac-Man (and Christmas Carol) do it.
    • If the sprites are always visible, then you discount the lives when the player dies. This impresses on the player that he lost a life when he died.
  • The missile is always a rather thick "vertical bar." I recommend it changes between a vertical and horizontal bar, depending on the orientation of firing. If you have the GRAM available (which I think you do), then use a custom bomb-looking card.

Great job!

• Three torpedoes seems fitting, good.
  • I like the missile/lives counter.
  • I suggest that instead of words, you use icons for the counters. The Lives counter can be a smaller version of the sub, and the Missiles counter could be a bomb-looking thingy.
  • I like that the sub explosion goes through more than one animation frame. It reminds me of old-school games. However, it should completely disappear on game over.
  • I am not sold on the lives counter changing when you start moving. I recommend following the old-school rule of thumb:
    • If you introduce the play-field without the player's avatar first, then you discount the lives when you introduce the sprites. This impresses on the player that his next life is taken from the available set at the start of the level. This is the way that Pac-Man (and Christmas Carol) do it.
    • If the sprites are alway visible, then you discount the lives when the player dies. This impresses on the player that he lost a life when he died.
  • The missile is always a rather thick "vertical bar." I recommend it changes between a vertical and horizontal bar, depending on the orientation of firing. If you have the GRAM available (which I think you do), then use a custom bomb-looking card.

Great job!

Changes you've suggested have been made. I don't know if I can make a smaller version of the sub though, so the lives icon is just a sub right now.

I also fixed a bug having to do with the torpedo shooting. It does not count down to 0. In order to shoot the torpedo again, you have to let go of the button.

Edited by atari2600land

Changes you've suggested have been made. I don't know if I can make a smaller version of the sub though, so the lives icon is just a sub right now.

I also fixed a bug having to do with the torpedo shooting. It does not count down to 0. In order to shoot the torpedo again, you have to let go of the button.

Hmm... I meant a "bomb-looking" as in a B-17 sort of bomb, which looks like a torpedo standing up, not a "Kaboom!" bomb. LOL!

Try these icons and see if you like them:

........ .......
.....##. ...#...
....#... ..###..
#.####.. ..###..
.##.#.#. ..###..
.######. ...#...
#.####.. ..#.#..
........ .......

Also, personally, I don't like that the lives start at "2." Since you are really not doing the introduction in the "Pac-Man way," there is nothing that tells me that it means "2 + the one you have." Why not just show 3 lives, and discount them when the player dies.

That way it is obvious that you have three lives, so when it says "1," you know it is your last one. What do you think?

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay