IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

Just posted on Facebook:

"Hey Everyone! It’s clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste. Or you can go in and request a refund from Indiegogo right now.

The good news is we aren’t giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.

We will be back in the near future with a prototype RETRO VGS system, front-and-center playing our games on our cartridges and with our USB controller. Sit tight, be patient and RETRO VGS will return.

Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding while we regroup and prepare for the relaunch of a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter."

I think this is the second chance that they need, and I look forward to them coming through on these promises of a working prototype, clear goals, etc.

I think they used their shot this time. I don't think there will ever be a Retro VGS.

The only thing now is the fake proto they had going. That was a lie that left both me and the ol'lady sour - calling that table of wires a proto..??

They need to apologize for that.

I really doubt John Carlsen threw a fake proto together.

I don't mind if Kevtris works with them, as long as he still releases his console.

They said they were never against that, they were even willing to help fund his core development and not request exclusivity. Not sure if he wants to work with Mike, after Kennedy threw repeated hissy fits about him.

this just in from the IGG RETRO VGS notification

The ‘RETRO VGS’ team just posted:

1 new Announcement:

Hey Everyone! It’s clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste. Or you can go in and request a refund from Indiegogo right now.

The good news is we aren’t giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of... other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.

We will be back in the near future with a prototype RETRO VGS system, front-and-center playing our games on our cartridges and with our USB controller. Sit tight, be patient and RETRO VGS will return.

Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding while we regroup and prepare for the relaunch of a new crowdfunding campaign.

Reply directly to this email to respond to the campaign owner,Mike Kennedy. Visit the campaign page to view all comments and updates for this project.

Help spread the word about the campaign!

It wasn't a fake circuit. I'm sure it worked. It was not representative of RVGS. It's one thing to show a real game running, and another to show some debugger or windowed desktop.

Like I said before in some long lost post. I like to give others chances as long as they apologize for fucking up and show genuine effort the second time around. Can the RVGS team do that?

That still won't change us not making a large purchase though, as I can't imagine it being ready for a 2016 summer release.

I just don't like Kevtris, its nothing personal I just don't like him. Kinda hard to explain.

No need to explain. I understand.

• Like 1

They need to apologize for that.

I don't want to pile on while they're already down, but frankly, they need to apologize for a lot. Even then, it remains to be seen whether they (meaning Mike) can salvage enough goodwill to garner enough support for future projects, or even ongoing support for current projects.

In the meantime, I'm sure there will be lots of retrospective study of this fundraising campaign. It was like a spectacular Evel Knievel wipeout, such a perfect and complete failure in every possible way that it's become even more fascinating than the RVGS itself.

• Like 10

Just posted on Facebook:

"Hey Everyone! It’s clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste. Or you can go in and request a refund from Indiegogo right now.

The good news is we aren’t giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.
Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding while we regroup and prepare for the relaunch of a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter."
I think this is the second chance that they need, and I look forward to them coming through on these promises of a working prototype, clear goals, etc.

LOL

Good riddance.

GIF-Bye.gif?gs=a

I don't mind if Kevtris works with them, as long as he still releases his console.

The thing Kevtris was releasing with an SD card is a different beast altogether from the Retro VGS. I was almost thinking if I wanted to buy two and make my own case for the second one as a hobby project. The thing that excited me the most about Kevtris project was the Gameboy FGPA and the fact that it was a well-made resolved hobbyist item

I just don't like Kevtris, its nothing personal I just don't like him. Kinda hard to explain.

You obviously have close ties to this campaign, given your posts on the subject, and the fact that you have now TWICE removed the AtariAge links from the Retro VGS Wikipedia page. I would take anything you say on the matter with a huge grain of salt.

..Al

• Like 26

In the meantime, I'm sure there will be lots of retrospective study of this fundraising campaign. It was like a spectacular Evel Knievel wipeout, such a perfect and complete failure that it's become even more fascinating in its own way than the RVGS itself.

You could write a business course on what went wrong with the project. I don't wish them harm, but they really need to address the nasty swipes taken at anyone who had any genuine concerns (Pat the Nes Punk, NeoGaf, Atari Age) - they make up a decent chunk of your target audience

• Like 2

You obviously have close ties to this campaign, given your posts on the subject, and the fact that you have now TWICE removed the AtariAge links from the Retro VGS Wikipedia page. I would take anything you say on the matter with a huge grain of salt.

..Al

In Texas, we call that getting busted with your pants down. Right Al?

Edited by BadHornet
  • Like 10

The thing Kevtris was releasing with an SD card is a different beast altogether from the Retro VGS. I was almost thinking if I wanted to buy two and make my own case for the second one as a hobby project. The thing that excited me the most about Kevtris project was the Gameboy FGPA and the fact that it was a well-made resolved hobbyist item

I'm reserving excitement for that until I see a price, but it sounds very cool.

You could write a business course on what went wrong with the project. I don't wish them harm, but they really need to address the nasty swipes taken at anyone who had any genuine concerns (Pat the Nes Punk, NeoGaf, Atari Age) - they make up a decent chunk of your target audience

Kennedy's reaction to any criticism was fairly ridiculous. He laughed off the Jaguar criticism, even though it wasn't criticism, it was literally jest among many of us. I personally don't think I could buy a console with a shell from ANOTHER console. To me that immediately felt sloppy. This was error #1 on his part. Sure it cost him less money, but you're making a product that looks ridiculous to many prospective buyers. How can that be wise?

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

I would rather my engineers have experience working on some failed projects. Not because I like giving 2nd chances. No. But instead because they know what failure is like and they are better attuned to see it coming in future projects. They know what mistakes not to make again. Essentially it's the school of hard knocks.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

A prototype RVGS? I thought that was impossible without contributions by generous supporters?

I also wonder if, in order to lower the entry price, they should ditch the pack-in game and controller and offer them as add-ons, instead?

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, if anything at all. Also interesting to see if they can rebuild bridges.

• Like 2

In the meantime, I'm sure there will be lots of retrospective study of this fundraising campaign. It was like a spectacular Evel Knievel wipeout, such a perfect and complete failure in every possible way that it's become even more fascinating than the RVGS itself.

I think as we get old the history of our childhood videogames becomes important. The "political" forces which help shaped any one specific console become more interesting than the games it plays.

How many of you are more fascinated by this very thread than you are with playing Air-Sea Battle or Missile Command?

hi all :)

I have been following the epic journey of the RVGS for weeks now and like most I too was interested in the beginning based on what was the original scope of the project was to be. Then when the conservation went from cores, cores, cores to colours, colours, colours there was a general vagueness that prompted me to have to dig on FB, youtube and listen to far too many podcasts, (my god! not the injection mould story again!! ill be good! i swear!) which in turn led me here.

Now IF its back to Kevtris's board in Mikes box dose that rekindle anyone's interest?

I know it's different. I just don't want him to not be able to release his system due to the time he might need to spend on the RetroVGS project.

I would rather my engineers have experience working on some failed projects. Not because I like giving 2nd chances. No. But instead because they know what failure is like and they are better attuned to see it coming in future projects. They know what mistakes not to make again. Essentially it's the school of hard knocks.

Classic business-backer strategy. People learn one heck of a lot more from a failure than from having everyone around them tell them how great they are.

That was my first observation of the whole RETRO VGS plan ... these 3 guys just don't have the right experience to pull this off as a successful business.

Having said which, I'd have quite happily bought one if it was the FPGA powerhouse that they were initially talking about (just the machine, no games) ... but a cartridge-based under-powered Unity machine, no way.

• Like 2