IGNORED

JAGUAR, 3DO, AND THE CDI

AtariORdead

Right, it's all of us that are wrong. Kind of like kevincal/JAGUAR, he thinks we're all out to get him and we're the problem. You guys go great together and your forum names couldn't be more perfect JAGUAR/JagCD.

And here I was thinking that nobody could possibly, ever, give the words Jaguar and Jaguar CD a worse reputation then they already had...

• Like 5

Apparently, you don't know how to use a dictionary. The semi colon in a dictionary separates the different usages of the word.

A majority does not need to be 50%, it simply needs to be the largest in the group.

Apparently YOU don't know how to use a dictionary. Definitions are commonly ordered in either frequency of usage or hierarchy of meaning. Sure, most of use could just give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't referring to a >50% majority, but when you state that there's almost nothing left of the library when you remove fighting games, it's pretty clear to most higher functioning people that you meant the primary definition of the word. I'm sorry, but arguing semantics doesn't make you any less wrong.

• Like 5

/thread

Time to lock this one up I say!

Nah, no need. It'll only prompt someone else to open yet another thread about the exact same subject. Better to keep all of that nonsense localised. It makes life easier for us mods.

• Like 4

Again, that is not correct. You are confusing plurality with majority. There is indeed a plurality of the other genres.

But 2D fighters is the largest single genre which makes it a majority.

There could be 31 fighting games, 30 racing games, 29 puzzle games and 10 shooters. In this example, the majority of them

would be fighting. You simply need to be the largest number out of the group to qualify as a majority. Combining

racing and puzzle games would give you a plurality. A majority doesn't require 50% in this context -- you are inadvertently applying election

rules to language usage.

The word "majority" in an example or context:

In my country's parliament system (Sweden) there can be a majority government and a minority government ruling.

- Majority government: several political parties sum together their votes and if they get 50,1% or more they are a majority government; parliament can vote so all changes in law can be made by the government set by same parties.

- Minority government: several political parties sum together their votes and if they have less than 50,1% they are a majority government, and can rule if no other constellation of parties can match it; government can't change laws without help form one or more of the opposition parties in the parliament needed to get 50,1% or more.

Plurality has nothing to do with it. In the example above a plurality of political parties can gain majority together.

Majority doesn't need plurality - and plurality doesn't need majority, nor are they synonyms. It is two different matters.

Saying that a genre of games has majority if it is not more than 50%, that is just weird. You could say that one genre has a majority, within itself of, lets say, good games together with descent games over the amount of bad games in the genre. It all comes down to 50,1% or not.

If you say that fighters are the biggest genre, most would call it a fact, but since you use the word majority you are out.

LOL! This is on topic, in this thread =) You guys are fun!

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 1

Let's piss off someone here:

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

Of the 7 Billions people alive 31.5% is Christian so obviously a majority of the human race is Christian right? ;-)

No question that Christianity is a major group but it ain't no majority.

Or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

the major group is Mandarin at 14.4%, the closest next is not even half of that so obviously the majority of human race speaks Mandarin right?

No question that Mandarin is a major language group but it ain't no majority.

Even better getting both statements above together the majority of the human race is Mandarin speaking and Christian ... oh the irony.

All we want JagCD to admit is that his statements have been very poorly phrased.

Had he said that the NeoGeo library is swayed towards fighters at 1 to 3 ratio nobody would have complained. Even a statement that the NeoGeo library counts more fighters than other libraries in proportion to other genres it's easily defensible, anything else is abuse of language at best and asinine at worst.

We also all agree that SNK was heavily involved in the fighters genre and it pushed it to the best it could at the same time given it allowed 65% of the games on the platform to be non fighters (and that is a majority) speaks volumes to the fact that people wanted and appreciated other genres on the platform.

Also we all agree that Neogeo other genres (the majority of games mind you) are very arcade in nature, that is to say quite hard, not necessarily very deep, with a lot of eye candy for better or for worse.

Finally one can like or dislike this or that game but once the stance is: "I don't like non fighting game on the NeoGeo, I don't like fighters game on NeoGeo" then pretty much means YOU don't like anything the platform has to offer as such your comments can NOT be constructive as you despise the whole nine yards.

As a member of the minority of the not so speaking Mandarin and not so Christian, I rest my case.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 6

This, I mean I collect the for the Jag. I know its not great, I know most of the games are crap but I have a fondness for it. Nothing wrong with admitting something you like is not the best.

+1

I bought the jag when it first came out because it was Atari. Back then I thought most games were so so with a few good games.

Years later started to collect games. Enjoyed doing, but don't really enjoy playng the games. Yet still collected.

The ST conversions are so enjoyable to play. Good game design that's fun to play. Would have not hesitated to havebought Outrun, Gauntlet 2, Joust and R-Type back in the day.

Edited by rayik

If (as i very much suspect it will...), this thread is to continue along lines of past few pages, should it not simply be renamed:Neo-Geo, Jaguar, Jag CD, 3DO and the CD-i?.

As it's gone way beyond what the OP was asking and has taken on a life of it's own.

Anywho, i too would have loved to of seen 'straight' ST ports on Jaguar as a day 1 owner of said hardware, if they were priced and advertised as such (ie a budget range) then i'd of lapped up the likes of:Bubble Bobble, IK+, Starglider 2, Gauntlet 2 etc etc, no shame in having them on 'cutting edge' hardware, bit bloody jealous now having seen Starglider 2 ported by CJ, as the others mentioned i have on various Retro comps etc and IK+ on PS1, but Starglider 2, sob, me not have and def.would love to return to....

Anywho, i too would have loved to of seen 'straight' ST ports on Jaguar as a day 1 owner of said hardware, if they were priced and advertised as such (ie a budget range) then i'd of lapped up the likes of:Bubble Bobble, IK+, Starglider 2, Gauntlet 2 etc etc, no shame in having them on 'cutting edge' hardware, bit bloody jealous now having seen Starglider 2 ported by CJ, as the others mentioned i have on various Retro comps etc and IK+ on PS1, but Starglider 2, sob, me not have and def.would love to return to....

The only way such titles could have been justified on the Jaguar (i.e., you can't really have cost effective "budget" cartridges) would be as compilations with a bundle of say a minimum of three titles to make one full priced game. I have no idea whether that would fit on a cartridge or would require the CD add-on, but if it were the former, it would certainly be an interesting strategy. Having "dated" computer games on a console certainly didn't do the CD32 any favors, but considering the Jaguar had a wider release and a bigger marketing budget, maybe it would have helped move a few tens of thousands of more units or so.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

Yeah, that would've been great marketing to show how powerful the 64-bit Jag was by releasing several year old games from an older platform.

• Like 1

I'm planning of buying 15000 "shares" into the Atari company:

http://www.tradera.com/item/220407/228809049/atari-corporation-15-000-shares-1988

Do you guys think this is a good opportunity???$$$

There is also 300 shares from the Jaguar year 1993 out as well for sale, but somehow Atari seem to dip at that moment, so it might be too risky, I don't know...

http://www.tradera.com/item/340859/228809044/atari-corporation-aktiebrev-tillfalle-

;D

Posted in a hurry last night, but yes the budget range of ST ports would only really have worked as 2 or more titles per volume and you'd have to use CD to make them cost effective, but i personally think there was a place for them.Raiden etc as launch games were hardly screaming 64 Bit were they?.

As a PS1 owner from day 1, i very much enjoyed likes of Xcom (an enhanced Amiga game), IK+ (something i enjoyed on my C64 and later loved on the ST), Mickey Mania, Super Dropzone, both SNES ports, also poured hours into Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands pack, Capcom Generations, Strider comp. etc etc.None of these i went out and bought a PS1 based on being blown away by..that would of been likes of Ridge and Toh Shin Den, both of which i tired of quickly, but i've never felt there's any need to pour scorn on classic games on then cutting edge hardware.If it's marketed and priced properly, there's a place for them.

Looking at the Retro Comps i've bought over the years on PS2, PS1, Xbox, GC, PS3 and PSP, they never did them any harm.Sure, scoffed at by reviewers in so many cases as why would you want to play this old tat when you've games like.....

But they've a lot of fans and each of these platforms were at 1 time, cutting edge hardware.They just had the range of software Atari with the Jaguar could only of dreamed of.

It should just be taken in context..had the Jaguar got established, software blossomed as we'd all hoped, there could of been a very real possibility of a place for budget price Retro Compilations on Jaguar CD.

I don't know of anyone who scoffs (or scoffed) at retro compilations on modern platforms. With that said, those are always in addition to already robust and varied game line-ups, not a cornerstone. The Jaguar would probably have had to have sold about 4x more systems and crossed the 100 game threshold before such things were seen an line-up enhancers rather than "filler" or cheap cash-ins. Also, the 1:1 conversions are pretty cool now, but at the time one would have still liked to have seen improved graphics and sound, even if it was simple skinning, sort of like the switchable HD (smoothing/filtering/etc.)/retro (mostly unfiltered) modes we see in such games these days.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 2

@Bill, a good few UK magazine reviewers, espically in the Playstation Press at the time, openly scoffed at Retro compilations on PS1, then Xbox/PS2 press followed suit.Worse case i had was picking up a Retro comp, years back from a store just outside London for my PSP, guy running shop and his mate, LOUDLY started slagging off such compilations and who in their right mind would buy such bleedin crap on new hardware like the PSP, whilst they went and got the UMD to put in the case...

Anywho, indeed the concept i was suggesting for ST Ports on Jaguar would of course meant things would of had to of been very different for Atari, it's just wishful thinking on my part, that had things been different the Jaguar CD could of seen it's share of Retro ports.

:-) Probably taking my life in my hands with this one, but i'm not ashamed to say i'd moved on from the Jaguar by time they were avaiable and have never played either on any format, so....

What's the 'deal' with:
Zero 5 on STE/Falcon (?) compared to the Jaguar version?.Both versions i believe to be different games, but is the Jaguar game totally different or more a case of expands on the STE/Falcon game?.
Also Towers 2:What are the differences between the ST/Falcon and Jaguar versions?.
Basically just wondering what other ST era origins can be traced back as it were to various Jaguar games.

One for Peter here, quick example of UK Press attitude towards anything Retro related on the then 'Super Consoles' (PS1, Saturn etc) Shin Shinobi Den, Edge review, 4/10 'SSD is a 16 Bit game in the age of 32bit consoles.It simply won't cut it'.

Ass for ST games hardly being marketed to showcase power of the Jaguar, Sony might have been very reluctant to have Worms on PS1 initally, but it was fantastic addition to the libary, 1st platform i played it on.I also bought the Lemmings comp., had 1st played Lemmings on my 520STFM, so there def.was a place for Retro on the Super Consoles, it justy meant UK press and gamers swallowing their pride somewhat and admitting a good game was just that, no matter how swanky the hardware was, that was running it.