IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

It works out to a $70 tax per Supergrafx game. (Not counting the Darius upgrades.) But the upgraded audio and native HDMI out are solid features that more than justify the cost jump from the SSDS3. If I can sell mine for a decent price and upgrade, I will gladly. I’m not going to be an early adopter on this one, though.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:39 PM, roots.genoa said:

Once again, I think I'll wait for the Analogue Duo (provided I can get one of course ?). It will probably be cheaper and will read original games as well.

Duo alone is cheaper than the SHDS3 (which also requires having a PC Engine/SuperGrafx/TurboGrafx to attach it to, so you also need one of those if you don't have it already = more money required if you don't), won't take 6 trillion years to get through Andorra's customs and reach your decedents long after after you die of old age, will have better resolution options for HDMI, has a built-in receiver for wireless controllers if you want that, and it looks cooler, which is of course the single most important part.

Only real advantage of the SHDS3 is that I think it can simultaneously output HDMI and an analog signal without needing extra equipment like a DAC. Maybe PC Engine + SHDS3 is smaller than the Duo is, but I don't know and if it is, counting it as an advantage is really pushing it unless you live in a capsule hotel room or in a cardboard box or something.

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Only real advantage of the SHDS3 is that I think it can simultaneously output HDMI and an analog signal without needing extra equipment like a DAC.

Does the Analgue Duo really play roms and disc images off a memory card?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 4:39 PM, jgkspsx said:

It works out to a $70 tax per Supergrafx game. (Not counting the Darius upgrades.) But the upgraded audio and native HDMI out are solid features that more than justify the cost jump from the SSDS3. If I can sell mine for a decent price and upgrade, I will gladly. I’m not going to be an early adopter on this one, though.

The Pro version is only $61 USD more than the old one. That's roughly $12 per dedicated SuperGrafx game from bitd.

If you're calculating the per-game value of the device on its own, it supports over 700 PC Engine family titles plus lots of taikenban, homebrew, fan localizations, etc.

• Like 1

I love this system. Everyone had the Sega and Nintendo consoles in college and I had the TG-16.

So many amazing games....Bonk series, Impossimole, Devil's Crush, Dungeon Explorer, Legendary Axe., Parasol stars...I could go on and on. My favorite is probably the Jackie Chan game.

It's one of my most beloved collections on my raspberry pi because I have all the JP only and CD games.  

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mik's Arcade said:

So many amazing games....Bonk series, Impossimole, Devil's Crush, Dungeon Explorer, Legendary Axe., Parasol stars...I could go on and on. My favorite is probably the Jackie Chan game.  

Welcome fellow liker of reviled and hated games! :D

I have a lot of physical HuCARD and CD games for both TG16 and PC Engine. I don’t have Jackie Chan, since the US version is stupid expensive, but I haven’t really given it a shot. What do you like about it? I find that one of the system’s most glaring lacks is beat-em-ups. China Warrior and Vigilante just ain’t it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Welcome fellow liker of reviled and hated games! :D

I have a lot of physical HuCARD and CD games for both TG16 and PC Engine. I don’t have Jackie Chan, since the US version is stupid expensive, but I haven’t really given it a shot. What do you like about it? I find that one of the system’s most glaring lacks is beat-em-ups. China Warrior and Vigilante just ain’t it.

well, I've been a fan of Jackie Chan since the early 1980's, way before he made it big in the US. So, it's mainly because I am such a fan. Otherwise, It's just a solid platformer beat'em up with great controls and graphics, decent length and some secrets, and jackie looks and play great.  The Jackie Chan Stuntmaster game on the PS is also great.

I remember Impossimole living up to it's reputation, but I had so much fun with it and the gameplay eventually clicks.  Also, for some odd reason I remember really liking Ghost Manor, another terrible game, that I still never beat because it is so bad.  I don't know why I like it, but that's what is great about the TG-16, so many unique games.  I was even playing Ghost Manor on my retropie machine and it's still so bad I actually enjoy it.....in short bursts.

• Thanks 1

since I'm looking at my collection of TG-16 games, here is a list of some hidden gems/classics, most of these were released in japan only:

Ane-San (Super CD)

Barunba 

Battle Lode Runner

Bravoman

Burning Angel

China Warrior (huge character models!)

Dracula X - Rondo of Blood (some consisder this to be the best Castlevania game)

Dungeon Explorer and DE II (Super CD)

Gate of Thunder (Super CD)  - some consider this to be the best Shoot'em up on the TG-16

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphite - some consider this to be the best Shoot'em up on the TG-16

God Panic

Hit the Ice

Kiki Kai Kai (port of great japan only arcade game)

Legend of Hero Tonma

Lords of Thunder (Super CD) - sequel to Gates of Thunder

Military Madness (im usually not a fan of these games but really loved this one)

Mr. Heli (enhance port of an arcade game)

New Adventure Island

Ninja Gaiden (enhanced port of the NES classic, release in JP only)

Order of the Griffon

Parasol Stars

parodius

Ryuukyuu (it's a puzzle game with nudity, but actually a decent game)

Shiryou Sensen (enhanced port of an MSX computer game)

Space Harrier

Super Air Zonk (but really all Bonk games are great)

Toilet Kids (its a shoot'em up about literally shooting shit)

Turrican

TV Sports basketball/football/hockey....and I'm not a huge sports fan but this series is really good.

Valis 2-4

Valkyrie No Densetsu (Legend of Valkyrie) - it a Legend of Zelda like game

Wonder Momo

Ys book I & II  (CD)

• Like 2

Here are some of my favorite unsung games of the system:

Don Doko Don

Liquid Kids: Mizubaku Daibouken

Bikkuriman World (aka Wonder Boy in Monster Land)

Dragon’s Curse (aka Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap)

The Dynastic Hero (aka Wonder Boy in Monster World)

Son Son II

Battle Royale (may not be better than Fire Pro but it’s colorful and came out here)

Time Cruise

Psycho Chaser

Final Soldier (its brothers get all the love, but it’s fun and accessible)

Time Cruise

Blue Blink (weird and interesting platformer)

Dragon’s Egg (see above)

The NewZealand Story

Hatris

Titan

Cyber Cross (one of the better tokusatsu games)

Atomic RoboKid

Gomola Speed

Darius Plus (plus Super Darius, Super Darius II - not liked in Japan but my favorite ports)

Hani on the Road

Hani in the Sky

Volfiev (aka Qix plus)

Cyber Core

Aero Blasters

Night Creatures

Somer Assault / Mesopotamia

World Court Tennis (best RPG on the system?)

Final Lap Twin (or is THIS the best RPG on the system?)

Psychosis

Ordyne

Dead Moon

Klax

Raiden (my favorite port, lost in the glare of the more glitzy shmups)

Galaga ‘90

Drop Off (a game NOBODY else likes)

Chew Man Fu / Be Ball

Time Cruise (my favorite of the three great video pinball games)

Tricky Kick

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

They WERE released on the same disk along with three games from another series. The Aleste series has some oddball entries too. I dunno, I consider them a series even if story wise they have nothing in common. I mean, Final Fantasy is a series.

If you're thinking of the Duo pack-in it only has Gate, Bonk's Adv, Bonk's Revenge and Bomberman.

Lords wasn't released for another year or two.

• Like 1

Anyone ever seen any sales data for the SuperGrafx other than "terrible"? Wikipedia has an uncited 75,000 systems sold. I'll do some more research to see if I can find it myself, as I've only spent about 40 seconds looking so far, but I might as well be lazy and ask since maybe someone happens to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up a TurboBooster-Plus.  The backup ram works and everything.  I was wondering if there is any precautionary maintenance that needs to be done to it like removing that capacitor (or whatever it was) in the original Xbox because it always leaks eventually.

I tested it out with Order of the Griffon and I really wish I could have played it with the memory save instead of the passwords.  I am currently playing through Dungeon Explorer, but I believe it was such an early release that it does not take advantage of the save function.  Hopefully I will grab Neutopia soon, as I believe I heard those passwords can be cumbersome.

• Like 2