IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Hi guys,

Atariage member CGQuarterly made an outstanding video regarding the TurboGrafx-16 that I think you'll enjoy. Get the snacks ready fellas. This is worth viewing for sure. :)

From the description,

"Episode 54 - When the TurboGrafx-16 and Sega Genesis were both launched in the late summer and fall of 1989, neither was able to supplant the Nintendo Entertainment System at the top of the North American Home gaming market, and as a result their only real competition was each other. Both systems had some great games in their respective launch line-ups, with the TurboGrafx-16 probably having the edge. But by the end of 1989 both systems would have a quite a few quality titles available, making either system a reasonable choice for gamers looking to dabble in next-gen hardware. Highlights of the TuboGrafx library by the end of the year include Blazing Lazers, The Legendary Axe, Dungeon Explorer, R-Type, Galaga 90, Fantasy Zone, and Monster Lair. The TurboGrafx-16 also became the first home console to support games on CD-ROM when the TurboGrafx CD was released in November.

Show Notes:

- No matter how I chose to pronounce "Galaga" in this episode, I was going to have people leaving comments to "correct" me. Such is the case with YouTube, sometimes.

- Big thanks to Joe Redifer for helping me out with some Final Cut Pro issues while producing this episode. This was also the first episode in which I used the Game Sack Scanlines effect in FCPX. At least once, I did a good job. The other times, maybe not so much.

- Some gameplay footage was captured using a Framemeister and recorded using an Elgato Game Capture HD, while other footage was recored using an OSSC and Startech 3.0 capture card. All of it is in RGB, but that might explain any variation in video quality.

Music courtesy of Kevin MacLeod (www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/incompetech)

Send me a postcard and I'll send you one back:

Classic Gaming Quarterly
PO Box 73126
Davis, CA 95617"

Anthony...

• 3 months later...

I finally got one of these bad boys to play SF2 with the proper amount of buttons. What a difference that this makes! Its no longer a chore to switch between kicks and punches. Im sure it helps that it was quite clearly modelled after the SNES controller.

20181107_201252.jpg

Also, I got one of these. An extension cord is mandatory with these short NEC controller cords. Best price by far.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F371250351109

• Like 1

What's the best option for a PC-Engine arcade joystick?

Getting something custom made might not be out of the question.

Hori does have a multi-system stick that supports the PC Engine. Their sticks are usually decent and use micro switches, but good luck finding a decent deal in today's retro gaming climate. Example: https://ebay.us/BeKIsR

There are other sticks that don't use micro switches, if you don't mind something that feels more like a NES Advantage stick. Example: https://ebay.us/p1vg26

Edited by Austin

Getting something custom made might not be out of the question.

Hori does have a multi-system stick that supports the PC Engine. Their sticks are usually decent and use micro switches, but good luck finding a decent deal in today's retro gaming climate. Example: https://ebay.us/BeKIsR

There are other sticks that don't use micro switches, if you don't mind something that feels more like a NES Advantage stick. Example: https://ebay.us/p1vg26

I know about the Turbo Stick... it might be what I go with. I play shmups mostly so I really don't need the 6 button joystick. If someone just made a NES or SNES controller to PC-Engine adapter thing so I could just use my NES Advantage or Ascii Fightstick SN it would be way cheaper.

Edited by TravisHuckins

I finally got one of these bad boys to play SF2 with the proper amount of buttons. What a difference that this makes! Its no longer a chore to switch between kicks and punches. Im sure it helps that it was quite clearly modelled after the SNES controller.

attachicon.gif20181107_201252.jpg

I have one of those Hori pads but for the Super Famicom. They're great pads.

• Like 1

I know about the Turbo Stick... it might be what I go with. I play shmups mostly so I really don't need the 6 button joystick. If someone just made a NES or SNES controller to PC-Engine adapter thing so I could just use my NES Advantage or Ascii Fightstick SN it would be way cheaper.

Maybe this helps, Playstation to pc-e converter:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51

If you don't need a six button, and want to spend cash....the PCE XE-1s by Micomsoft are sweet.

• 4 weeks later...

So- I am very pleased to say that I am now offically in the market for a Turbo Duo!

I also don't exactly know where I should be starting here :woozy:

I'd like a unit that's been region-modded & recapped. I don't need better than composite video in my setup, but I'm not sure what the default is on the system (I think some models only do RF?) I'd prefer a US unit, but I'm certainly not turning down a PC Engine Duo that meets my needs.

I'm not really in a hurry, so any advice on the best places to be looking- or avoiding!- would be appreciated.

• Like 1

So- I am very pleased to say that I am now offically in the market for a Turbo Duo!

I'd like a unit that's been region-modded & recapped. I don't need better than composite video in my setup, but I'm not sure what the default is on the system (I think some models only do RF?) I'd prefer a US unit, but I'm certainly not turning down a PC Engine Duo that meets my needs.

I'm not really in a hurry, so any advice on the best places to be looking- or avoiding!- would be appreciated.

pcenginefx forums has a sell/trade section which is a good place to watch for one. I bought mine off a forum member there and here, mickcris and it was awesome.

• Like 1

Default is composite, and NEC systems put out very high quality composite.

If you want to play everything and not collect, get a PC Engine or TG-16 and a Super SD System 3, you can play the entire library (cards and CDs) from SD card.

Edited by Gentlegamer
  • Like 1

As NE146 said, go to Pcenginefx forums.

Find user "Keith Courage" (he has a long running sale thread in the sales forum). He has done tons of mods to various duos etc. My region modded, S-video modded, caps replaced, laser adjusted PC-Engine Duo was something like $330 if I recall. Even came with a controller.

(BTW I best signal you can off the board get is either component or SCART/RGB, I think.)

• Like 1

On the TurboDuo. can you pull RGB (SCART) out of the A/V port on the side ? OR does it need to be modded ?

Another question, The A/V cable comes out on the side and sticks out 2-3"...does anyone make a right angle slim cable so it points out towards the back ? I need to make it not so wide...

None of the PCE/Turbo consoles output RGB without mods. Be careful who you buy modded hardware from, particularly avoid doujindance.

I've never seen a right angle AV cable compatible with the Duo jack. If you buy a replacement, beware of unofficial cables as they tend to produce poor image quality.

I've been using midi cables for my unmodified hardware, as they produce better image quality than even official cables.

Most video mod jacks are placed on the back side of Duos.

None of the PCE/Turbo consoles output RGB without mods. Be careful who you buy modded hardware from, particularly avoid doujindance.

I've never seen a right angle AV cable compatible with the Duo jack. If you buy a replacement, beware of unofficial cables as they tend to produce poor image quality.

I've been using midi cables for my unmodified hardware, as they produce better image quality than even official cables.

Thanks. I guess the quest is on for a fairly easy mod for it to give me RGB. I'm going to buy a 16 port SCART switch so I want to convert consoles out output RGB...

Thanks for the info.

Another set of suggestions.

1) Facebook PC Engine TG16 Obey group or some variable of that namesake. Great, very great group of people, good deals, very helpful. I got some solid help on a replacement system this week I badly needed and a more than fair notably under ebay rate too, and domestic.

2) You need to decide what you want, and how fat your wallet is.

- Do you intend to go deep and use real media, then get a player with optical.

- Do you intend to maybe use a mix, not against using burned discs, again go with optical.

- Are you ok with the lousy US hucard library?

- If you are not with it, then read the 2 points before and level that with the PC Engine (meaning Duo RX)

- If you don't want to worry about those flaky optical drives, have you considered kits?

- Are you entirely into buying some kind of a kit? (Everdrive, Upergrafx2, SSS3)

You need to go there before knocking the moths off the open wallet. I did MONTHs of research, thought, and consideration a year ago and settled on not going optical, not directly at least for now. You have too much to worry about with drive motors, lasers, belts, cheap gears and other junk that go south on top of basically short of the PCE/Core Grafx line all having even worse cap that have to be replaced.

I got a Core Grafx II, the HuCard JP library is infinitely better. I knew that with the data port in back I could go with a kit device to handle optical if I wanted as ISO/BIN+CUEs. For now as of weeks ago I went with a PC Everdrive, there's just that much good stuff AND that way I can still use the US games natively on the card, plus there are quite a few good translated Japanese titles too using real media will not work with.

That facebook mention, my CG2 failed, a screw dropped and shorted it. Shady Japanese seller gave me a turd, loose metal plates inside, barely there screw dangling, some scrapes around one of the processors legs, so the bastard macguyvered it to last long enough not to get a claim. I asked on that facebook group and an American stepped up with a new one for $50+shipping, I should have it in a couple days since it's a state away.

I flipped out mad over that. I had it get wonky a couple weeks back but revived it for the everdrive. Then the day 2 games I bought (hadn't picked up PCE stuff in half a year pretty much) which are Devils Crash and Time Cruise II, and I still haven't been able to touch them. >:\

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

The systems with the rear expansion port have RGB out in it. Why would they need to be modified?

• Like 1

I've read a bit on the machines, so I have a fair idea of what I'd like- I'm very much a collector, so playing original media on an original machine is important to me. While I typically stick with US releases, my understanding is the whole turbo library opens up a lot if you can play imports. Coupling that with the system issues puts me at wanting a machine from a reliable modder who's done some refurb & added a region mod.

I quit researching around then due to the notable expense of finding such a unit. Then this summer, we got a tip from our union rep that new contract negotiations were going poorly, so I started saving for a strike. A couple weeks ago, we had an 11th hour turnaround that not only stopped the strike, but landed me a $5 an hour raise (?!). So basically, all the strike savings can now be flushed into a stupidly expensive game console. :)

I don't do facebook, but I did make an account at the pcenginefx forums, so I'll be poking around there for sure. Since I wasn't entirely expecting to be able to afford one, I'm willing to take my time & make sure I get a good machine- especially since I'm not likely to be able to afford fixing a dud (at least for awhile.)

Thanks for all the info so far!

• Like 2

The systems with the rear expansion port have RGB out in it. Why would they need to be modified?

You technically don't, just as Duo and GT hardware also produce RGB video. But the only way to get that video to a TV generally requires building or modifying existing hardware like the Tennokoe II.

mickcris has sold RGB modified Tennokoe IIs on here over the years, for less than dodgey modern solutions. A TII also provides battery backup for game saves.

I've read a bit on the machines, so I have a fair idea of what I'd like- I'm very much a collector, so playing original media on an original machine is important to me. While I typically stick with US releases, my understanding is the whole turbo library opens up a lot if you can play imports. Coupling that with the system issues puts me at wanting a machine from a reliable modder who's done some refurb & added a region mod.

My suggestion if you want US based, don't mind ebay, and want someone that really redoes it with a total cap replacement, total cleaning, a new super cap for longer save data life, ports resoldered, recalibrated, etc. Use this guy as he's fast and friendly, knows his stuff. I almost ordered from him before I just did the CG2 alone route. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Super-CD-ROM-with-Core-Grafx-II-Set-New-Caps-USA-Seller-Turbografx/192740137659?hash=item2ce0351abb:g:6ugAAOSwliFb~ejg:rk:6:pf:0

Yet one thing I can say never enough, don't buy a US unit, there's no value in it at all. The HuCard library in the US is 1/3 the size and largely crap compared to Japan. While optical isn't locked, cards are, so be smart about that.

My suggestion if you want US based, don't mind ebay, and want someone that really redoes it with a total cap replacement, total cleaning, a new super cap for longer save data life, ports resoldered, recalibrated, etc. Use this guy as he's fast and friendly, knows his stuff. I almost ordered from him before I just did the CG2 alone route. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Super-CD-ROM-with-Core-Grafx-II-Set-New-Caps-USA-Seller-Turbografx/192740137659?hash=item2ce0351abb:g:6ugAAOSwliFb~ejg:rk:6:pf:0

Yet one thing I can say never enough, don't buy a US unit, there's no value in it at all. The HuCard library in the US is 1/3 the size and largely crap compared to Japan. While optical isn't locked, cards are, so be smart about that.

Also the fact that PC-Engine base system is much cheaper than the TG-16. I paid $50 for mine.

• Like 1

Definitely aware of the region lock on the HuCards, it's a big part of why I want a region modded unit (my Japanese isn't that good, so I'll want the US releases where they exist.)

Thanks for the tip on the Ebay seller- I like the idea of going through Ebay rather than a) trying to convince someone on a forum I'm new to that I'm totally not trying to screw them out of a very expensive console, and b) having a large company to complain to if I end up the one screwed. Nice to know a seller who's reliable on there!

'Course a flashcart of whatever type would make a region mod pretty unnecessary.. unless you're truly hell bent on using original hucards. My Turbo Duo is region modded. I originally thought I would want to continue using my original US hucards. Turns out I never touch them anymore and just leave an Everdrive in there.

• Like 1