IGNORED

The Most Over-Hyped Jaguar Games

Rick Dangerous

So the two of you think the Jaguar is basically overhyped. Cool nuff, that is your view.

To be fair I like to get the pros and cons. I also realize that miles from opinions may vary.

In the end I like to try the game myself so I can form opinions that I can write on forums and also have ignored.

I never said that, I don't think AtariORdead said that either. Are there people who overhype almost all aspects of the Jaguar? Yes. From nonsense like defending universally panned games to those who get upset that anyone would say anything remotely negative about the Jag. Take for example people who say every single one of my posts is negative, bashing the Jag and I'm a troll, yet they ignore anything I've posted that is positive or aimed at helping people out. This week I wrote about receiving my Elansar cart, pointed out where to get the official Jag SCART cable, directed a guy to where he can get his Jag repaired and complimented the improvements to Flappy McFur. But then I come on here and agree with someone else that Blue Lightning and Hyper Force are overhyped (on a thread DEDICATED to over hyped games, mind you) and I get called a troll and that all of my posts are Jag bashing. I often see the same thing on this forum where someone says something harmless like "Jag Doom needs music" and then that's taken as "Jaguar sucks and you're all morons for liking the system". People tend to have extremist reactions is my point.

• Like 3

I never said that, I don't think AtariORdead said that either. Are there people who overhype almost all aspects of the Jaguar? Yes.

I think the problem with the quote AtariORDead made (and which you agreed with) is the fact that you're way over-generalizing. "Every Jaguar game is overhyped." Admittedly later in the post he (sort of) clarified that these games are overhyped by "idiots who caught the Jaguar disease" and not necessarily by everyone :P

Then followed by stuff like Cybermorph and Club Drive is overhyped.

I don't see that many people really raving about Cybermorph and calling it the star-fox killer nor herds of people who like Club Drive. If there are those that feel that way, well that could well be there opinion ;) Going on about how there are a few people who have different opinions than you guys are some sort of disease in the community... are not really a normal way to coexist with other people. TBH this ranting makes it sound like it's a vast majority of the community when (maybe I don't pay close attention) it doesn't come close.

Solution: Better stick to the "I like AvP, Tempest, IS and Doom"; it works for the most, as a working middle ground. And never leave this four cornered box!

Well now you're just stereotyping the people who only like a few games commonly regarded as the best, as people who are too afraid to express their opinion when that may well be the only games they consider worth owning for the jaguar :P

Well now you're just stereotyping the people who only like a few games commonly regarded as the best, as people who are too afraid to express their opinion when that may well be the only games they consider worth owning for the jaguar :P

True. You got me. I also like dwarves and elves in fantasy movies, and big breasted women in general. Also, music in stereo is great.

I seem to remember AVP, Cybermorph and Black Ice White Noise getting a lot of hype in EGM magazine. Cybermorph even won game of the month I believe. To this day my Nintendo Fan boy friend still rags on me about how bad Cybermorph was compared to Starfox. Oh how I endlessly tried to defend the 64-bitness of the Jag to his beloved 16-bit Snes. Despite that I still love the system though. As for Blue Lightning I enjoy playing it but was not as good as it could have or should have been.

EGM was pretty much anti-Atari, going back to the Lynx. EGM never hyped the Jaguar and panned it every chance they got. EGM gave Cybermorph a 5/10.

The console press of the day would bring up Starfox as they were trying to explain what kind of game Cybermorph was, but I don't think anyone hyped up Cybermorph as a Starfox killer. The games play very different from each other. Starfox is a cinematic on rails 3D shooter, while Cybermorph is more of a free roaming planet exploration shooter, which was more common to 3d polygon shooters on computers.

It was Gamefan that gave it game of the month according to wiki.

Yeah, I remember that. I read GameFan avidly in those days. They were really pulling for Atari to get this one right. They gave Cybermorph great coverage all around with at least a two page spread on top of the usual reviews.

Their support really fell apart when Checkered Flag was released. I clearly remembered one reviewer simply asking "What happened?" Essentially, how could the team behind Alien Vs. Predator mess up such a simple formula with such promising early demos.

It didn't help that it was reviewed in the same issue as Club Drive.

• Like 2

Battlesphere. all this complete and utter nonsense about the AI and the people who regurgitate that nonsense.

Cybermorph. overhyped at the time, as it is now and was back then a pretty bland boring game.

Hyperforce. Anyone who tells me its like Contra, or if you like contra you will like is a moron, plain and simple.

TBH, you could name just about any jag game, idiots who have caught the Jag disease seem to overhype any old shit. it has a few nice games but the apologists are utter retards who do more damage to the system than help it.

Honestly things like " its still worth picking up White men can't jump and Club drive because they are great fun in multiplayer "

Sorry, but no, saying things like this to new people interested in the jag is likely to scar them for life and chase them away. these are people who have played on MD, Snes, DC, PS1, saturn etc. they are branching out and you want to recommend shit like that to them. no wonder people go away thinking the jag is crap.

Yep, that is all Jag fans do, is tell unsuspecting video game collectors that Hyperforce is a Contra and Metal Slug killer. Then we tell them about the greatness of WMCJ and Club Drive. You have the Jaguar community pegged. The secret is out guys! Now how are we going to lure people into the Jaguar's lair of suckyness???

• Like 1

Yep, that is all Jag fans do, is tell unsuspecting video game collectors that Hyperforce is a Contra and Metal Slug killer. Then we tell them about the greatness of WMCJ and Club Drive. You have the Jaguar community pegged. The secret is out guys! Now how are we going to lure people into the Jaguar's lair of suckyness???

Wow, talk about turning up to the party late. We have already discussed this and established I am talking about a selct few diehards.

And yes, these things have happened, and on this very site.

Wow, talk about turning up to the party late. We have already discussed this and established I am talking about a selct few diehards.

And yes, these things have happened, and on this very site.

Sorry, I must be retarded or something. Good thing we have people with superior intellects like yourself to tell us like it is and put Jaguar fans I their place.

Sorry, I must be retarded or something. Good thing we have people with superior intellects like yourself to tell us like it is and put Jaguar fans I their place.

I don't get what the problem is here.

The thread asked what games on the Jaguar have you seen that have been overhyped. I mentioned a couple and cited reasons why. It was what the thread requested. Its the topic of the thread. I even clarified that I knew it was only a few people and not all Jag owners.

Why exactly are you upset about this.

You called yourself Retarded, I never once implied I thought you were and TBH I highly doubt you are retarded in any way whatsoever, then You imply That I think I am superior to you and other fans, despite me never claiming that and again made it clear that my examples in no way reflect the Community as a whole.

The issue of support falling apart (partly due to dissapointing games like Kasumi Ninja, Ch.Flag and reviewers being dazzled as it were by Saturn and Playstation) is an interesting one...

Gamesmaster and C+VG here in UK, in the main gave Jaguar a pretty fair time of it, Gamesmaster only really turning on it as it were by time of Missile Command 3D.C+VG were a tad picky/harsh on Iron Solider as it had text briefing screens, lacked the textures of 32X Metal Head etc...
Edge however, up n down like a fiddlers elbow.For every Cybermorph, Tempest 2000, Iron Solider review, there was a scathing review:AVP, Defender 20000, Superburnout, Ultra Vort. Raiden, Trevor Mc Fur etc. in some instances i could see where they were coming from, but sometimes it just seemed 'coo' to bash the Jaguar (AVP and Defender 2000-much as i was dissapointed by it, it was not a 3/10 title anymore than AVP was a 4/10 game).
Ultimate Future games was another UK mag hard to fathom and responsible for some of the out there Jag claims...

I was just using your own words against you. In your original post, you used words like moron, idiots and retards to describe people in the Jaguar community. All pure negative hyperbole.

Because IMO those select few are, those type of people are the reason the Jag community have a bad rep and it spoils it for all the good people who just want to enjoy the machine and are not interested in some sort of personal crusade to elevate the jag to some mythical status.

Like I said it was in response to the subject matter, If we are going to respond to such a thread title, its bound to be negative by the very subject matter. Plus If I give examples of games I think certain people are overblowing and overhyping its not likely I am going to think they are cool people am i, its pretty obvious what my opinion of them is.

If the thread title in question was of a positive note, I would be leaving positive comments and feedback, but its not and I don't see why you should be surprised that the responses reflect the nature of the question asked.

I'm not going to say any of these games are "overrated" per-se, bit I either can't get into them or there are other aspects I don't care for (visuals, sound, gameplay style). They may just not be for me, or I may find them simply redundant in the current day and age.

1) Alien Versus Predator - Never could get into this one. I like the atmosphere and visuals, but the game slogs along at a slow framerate and I'm not much for non-linear adventure/puzzle elements in my first person shooters. I can see why it is appealing to some, but it's not for me. Give me a game like Wolfenstein or DOOM any day, that's my bread and butter.

2) DOOM - Don't get me wrong, I love DOOM on most platforms it's available on, but the lack of music is really a buzz kill. It also gets pretty sluggish when things get hectic. I played through the 32X version one night a few weeks back, and in the same night went and played through the Jag version immediately afterward. I enjoyed the 32X one so much more because the music (as crappy as it is in that version) made all the difference. It was a great release for the time, but it's one of the games on the system I consider redundant. Just play it on a more modern platform (PC, XBOX 360, etc) and be done with it.

3) Battlesphere - A technically sound and a well made game, but I'm not much for space-sims. Tried it, couldn't get into it.

4) Defender 2000 - Objects are too large for my liking (making slamming into oncoming enemies all too easy). A couple of dozen levels in and things become impossible to see (dark purplish enemies on a black background, not a very good combination for the eyes). Using the automap is pretty much mandatory, but even then I find it hard to play the game well. You are looking at the map more than you are the gameplay screen itself because you can barely see two feet in front of you.

5) Ultra Vortek - Some folks love this, I personally think it's mediocre. It has some cool visuals and sound (very gritty), but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. No combos, less moves overall than any of the early MK games. It just doesn't feel very good to play (this could partially be due to the framerate that probably sits at less than 25 fps.. odd for a game of this type).

6) NBA JAM T.E. - It's a great game, no doubt, but with prices rising I see it redundant. People seem to forget the PS1 and Saturn versions are excellent as well and you get the CD soundtrack with those.

6) NBA JAM T.E. - It's a great game, no doubt, but with prices rising I see it redundant. People seem to forget the PS1 and Saturn versions are excellent as well and you get the CD soundtrack with those.

I remember the PSX version of this game being not so great, though I've never played the Saturn edition. If the 32X version would've used the 6-button controller to make Turbo easier, I think that would be the clear winner on a home version of NBA Jam TE. Much like the 32X version being the best home port of MK2 IMO. As you pointed out, the higher price of the Jag version makes it redundant, though I don't know that it makes it necessarily overhyped.

I'm sure this will be considered another one of my "troll" or "unlogic" posts regarding how much of a Jag basher I am, but it's simply my opinion on this game vs the same game on other platforms.

I remember the PSX version of this game being not so great, though I've never played the Saturn edition. If the 32X version would've used the 6-button controller to make Turbo easier, I think that would be the clear winner on a home version of NBA Jam TE. Much like the 32X version being the best home port of MK2 IMO. As you pointed out, the higher price of the Jag version makes it redundant, though I don't know that it makes it necessarily overhyped.

I'll be honest, I actually haven't played the PS1 version, I just assumed it was a solid port. I owned the Saturn version for a while though and played it recently and it's definitely rock-solid, great version of the game.

I'm sure this will be considered another one of my "troll" or "unlogic" posts regarding how much of a Jag basher I am, but it's simply my opinion on this game vs the same game on other platforms.

no, you're not patronising anyone here, so this post is just fine!

good job!

• Haha 1

I'll be honest, I actually haven't played the PS1 version, I just assumed it was a solid port. I owned the Saturn version for a while though and played it recently and it's definitely rock-solid, great version of the game.

You would think it would be since most other PS1 ports were..but apparently they missed the mark.

http://videogamecritic.com/ps1nn.htm?e=21211#rev2373

The Saturn Version and the SNES version of all things are my go to's for NBA Jam action..

The Jag version is great but I don't seem to get big dunks all the time like I do on the 16 bit systems, so the fun factor isn' there for me quite as much. May have to re-visit it soon just to be sure..