IGNORED

TransKey-II in development

mytek

Thanks Steve for checking in :)

One last bit of info about PICs and the ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming): LINK

If I do decide to attempt building an Atari 8-Bit PIC Programmer I'll start a new thread. It would be cool in some ways to do that, and from a software/hardware point of view, extremely cheap. Also it would be a way for me to refresh my Atari programming skills which are sadly lacking after all these years.

- Michael

'Way Cool...

You could use a battery for Vpp, couldn't you? Two 2016 coin cells will fit in series in a 2032 battery clip. This gives you 6v+ of floating source.

Bob

Yeah I was thinking about that too, but instead of coin cells maybe just a good old 9V battery.

200px-Duracell_9_Volt_0849.jpg

It's bigger, but I don't think in this case size matters all that much.

I also like the charge pump IC suggestion, although that will likely add more cost than a battery, but at least it'll never need replacing.

- Michael

Thanks Steve for checking in :)

One last bit of info about PICs and the ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming): LINK

If I do decide to attempt building an Atari 8-Bit PIC Programmer I'll start a new thread. It would be cool in some ways to do that, and from a software/hardware point of view, extremely cheap. Also it would be a way for me to refresh my Atari programming skills which are sadly lacking after all these years.

- Michael

Hello Michael!

I have always wanted to use an ISP Logic chip that I could reprogram on the fly. It would 000be so cool to have a reprogrammable cart. Having the ability to reprogram the Flash

Hello Michael!

I have always wanted to use an ISP Logic chip that I could reprogram on the fly. It would 000be so cool to have a reprogrammable cart. Having the ability to reprogram the Flash

Hi Steve,

Well my project (if ever started) would be very device specific so as to keep it simple to implement. Essentially it would be initially targeted at just one kind of PIC micro controller chip. So probably not compatible with what you have in mind, unless you were thinking of using the same PIC. Of course once a working single chip version was working, the concepts could be expanded upon to flash other chips, and maybe even have menu selectable chip types. But of course I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think to keep from cluttering up this thread with talk of programmers, I'll start a new thread today for this specific topic so that this thread can get back to talk about the TK-II project.

- Michael

EDIT: New Topic Thread Started... LINK

Edited by mytekcontrols

Hello Michael!

I do not know why this message saved.

I would love to have a project that I could program the Flash, EEProm, or Battery backed DS1210 and SRAM. and then be able to change the logic with an ISP Logic chip would be way Cool!!!! Would love to see this Michael and how can I help?

Take Care!

Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

Hi Steve,

Well my project (if ever started) would be very device specific so as to keep it simple to implement. Essentially it would be initially targeted at just one kind of PIC micro controller chip. So probably not compatible with what you have in mind, unless you were thinking of using the same PIC. Of course once a working single chip version was working, the concepts could be expanded upon to flash other chips, and maybe even have menu selectable chip types. But of course I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think to keep from cluttering up this thread with talk of programmers, I'll start a new thread today for this specific topic so that this thread can get back to talk about the TK-II project.

- Michael

EDIT: New Topic Thread Started... LINK

Hi Mike!

I would like to see to start with one micro-Controller chip foot print and maybe one ISP Logic chips. I have written a lot of code over the years so I do understand you have to start with one chip and go from there. hay it mite be to big of a pain to do or maybe a new chapter for the Atari is being opened. For me I am sure it is a new chapter. the code I am looking for is how to program a flash chip and how to program an ISP Logic chip within the Atari. Bob Woolley and I built the Smart-OS so we could change our OS Rom Chip when ever we wanted to from a binary file. I still use the Smart-OS within my first Atari Tower Project. That Atari has within its upgrades an Original Transkey, Black Box with Floppy Board, Smart-OS and a 576k battery backed Ramdisk. The Mods I had to make to the Bob Woolley Upgrade is I have to change some things so that my PBI devices would work.

Take Care!

Stephen J. Carden

• Like 1

lso Steve Carden has tested it with a Kensington 64364 PS/2 "Wireless" keyboard/mouse combo that appears to work quite well, including the mouse (LINK). And here's a picture from that Ebay listing of what you get. Looks real nice, maybe I'll pick one up as well.

s-l1600.jpg

Out of all of my non-wireless keyboards, I like one of the DELL's, also an E-Machines one, and for a truly industrial design my IBM Model M. I'll see if I can snap a few pics of the ones I'm talking about.

- Michael

I have this one attached to the system that will become the Bates Motel BBS and it works VERY nicely. The wireless function makes it truly tether free. It has a straight PS/2 connection and the keyboard side works flawlessly. Right now it is hooked directly to a KRH. I have not tried the mouse side yet as I am just now in a place to connect up the Transkey-II AND the XEGS Transkey! I have the boards for the XEGS version and have ordered the parts.

• Like 1

If you like one of these devices, I have a few piggyback left, and I'm already out of XEGS!

$10 for a programmed pic chip

$20 for a XEGS

$40 for internal piggy

$8 for priority shipping in US.

and free firmware updates for those who want to send old PIC back.

Paypal ID: rory.a.mcmahon@gmail.com

Please PM me with notice of payment, machine type, and address.

Thank you

Fuji-Man

• Like 1

I thought voltage doubler/tripler circuits only worked when the voltage source was AC.

Wouldn't using a step-up voltage regulator be simpler, if more expensive?

Pololu make an adjustable boost regulator capable of outputting up to +25V, with a price of $11.95

https://www.pololu.com/product/799

If only +9V/+12V is required Pololu has fixed boost regulators for only $3.95

+9V: https://www.pololu.com/product/2116

+12V: https://www.pololu.com/product/2117

Those wishing to make their own switching boost regulator could using a LM2623 or similar(WARNING - these are tiny SMD devices)

LM2623 +14DC: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM2623AMM%2FNOPB/LM2623AMM%2FNOPBDKR-ND/1847053

• Like 1

I thought voltage doubler/tripler circuits only worked when the voltage source was AC.

Pololu make an adjustable boost regulator capable of outputting up to +25V, with a price of $11.95

Those wishing to make their own switching boost regulator could using a LM2623 or similar(WARNING - these are tiny SMD devices)

LM2623 +14DC: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM2623AMM%2FNOPB/LM2623AMM%2FNOPBDKR-ND/1847053

Huh?!

The discussion of the PIC programmer has been moved here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247065-create-icsp-programmer-for-embedded-micro-controller-chips/

• Like 1

There have been a few discussions about wireless keyboards for use with TK-II, and it appears that the Kensington Wireless Mouse/Keyboard combo is a good way to go, but for my needs having a wireless keyboard is not such a big deal, since it rarely ever needs to leave its normal parking spot. However a wireless mouse on the other hand gets rid of having to drag around a cord while doing your "mousing". So with that in mind I did a search and came up with another Kensington product that looks like a good fit, and is very cool looking as well.

412EFFMSFXL._SX425_.jpg

It is a Kensington 72219 Optical USB/PS2 Wireless Mouse. This has a new price through Amazon of $22.95 LINK

And you can usually find them on Ebay for between 8-$10 including shipping LINK

I have one on order, so when it arrives I'll give it a test, and if all is well, I'll give it a thumbs up.

- Michael

EDIT: It got mixed reviews on Amazon, so it'll be interesting to see how it works on the TK-II. Battery life looked to be a big issue, maybe lasting 8 weeks under heavy use.

Edited by mytekcontrols

And yet another wireless optical PS2 mouse that I'll be testing...

s-l500.jpg

Microsoft K80-000001 Ebay LINK

Price with Free shipping = $9.95

This one reportably has a 6 month life between battery changes.

Whichever ones I feel are compatible and work well with the TK-II, will eventually get listed on my website in the Device Compatibility page (still under construction).

- Michael

News Flash: We now have an inexpensive way to program the PIC16F1847 chip used in the TK-II.

Thanks to Daniel (dmsc), we now have an inexpensive programming circuit that uses your Atari to reprogram a couple of different PIC chips including the PIC16F1847. I have attached the special ATR file that will let you program this chip with the latest V1.4 TK-II-OS. TKprog.atr

In order to use this program, a simple programmer circuit needs to be constructed (can be done on a solder-less breadboard, which is what I did). For information on doing this and all the latest info on this new programmer visit: Create ICSP Programmer for Embedded Micro Controller Chips

Please direct all questions and comments on the topic I linked to above.

- Michael

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wireless PS/2 Mouse tests continue...

NO GOOD -- Kensington 72219

NO GOOD -- Microsoft K80-000001

GOOD -- A4Tech IRW-25 Roller Ball Mouse

IRW-25-410.gif

Although it's a roller ball mouse (not optical) it performs very well with the TK-II, has a great battery life (in excess of 7 months), and specifically comes with a standard PS/2 connection. The receiver unit is also very small, and unlike the other tested mice, does not require 'pairing' to the mouse. Apparently this mouse can also be purchased as an optical version (A4Tech IRSW-25), but I have not tested that to be sure it is TK-II compatible.

Now the only problem is the lack of these on the open market. I stumbled upon mine at Ebay, but apparently they are far and few between. However there are more PS/2 Wireless mice that were manufactured, and here is yet another one that might be worth checking out...

Sakar iConcepts 77850 PS/2 4D Wireless Mouse

s-l500.jpg

- Michael

• Like 1

More news on programming your TK-II PIC chip...

With the JOY-2-PIC hardware getting real close to show time, and utilizing the ICSP program developed by DMSC, I created a better ATR file that will update the PIC with the latest revision level. Basically I modified the STARTUP.BAT and the README file, so that it'll automatically turn off XL/XE Built-in Basic, display the revision level and date of the firmware, briefly describe the changes, and then load the firmware and prompt to initiate programming. I also stripped out all the additional utilities, since this is only meant to be a firmware update disk (if you need these utility files, download the full version from the ICSP topic).

So here is the official TKprog_V1_4.atr

I'll also be putting this on my website pretty soon. Of course the latest HEX file will always be made available for those that have an alternative programmer such as the PICkit 2 or 3.

- Michael

• Like 2

Hello all my Atari Friends!

Most of you have never seen a real TransKey rev 1 the one that was designed and built 1990. Michael could answer any questions about it but I want to post a picture of the Transkey that started it all. I have two of them and they were the hardware mod that allowed me to move my Atari out of the Atari case and mount it into a Tower case. I also mounted my Black Box with floppy board in the Atari case and the Transkey rev one let me do that because it had two control lines. One of the control lines allowed me to enter the Black Box Menu and the other allowed for a print screen. I have never been able to convey how much I have enjoyed the TransKey rev one that Michael designed. I do not know how many of the TransKey were made but I was lucky enough to get two that were assembled and one that was just the pcb's kit.

Here is a picture of one of my transkeys Rev 1

post-9681-0-53875400-1453458261_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the PCB and Daughter Board

post-9681-0-60511100-1453458431_thumb.jpg

Thank You Michael for your Really cool Hardware.

Take Care!

Stephen J. Carden

Edited by Stephen J. Carden
  • Like 4

Pretty cool to see my previous work, since I no longer have any of the real thing here to look at. Wow! I had forgotten how big that board was. Amazing how small things have gotten with the advancement of electronics since 1990. Yes it has been nearly 26 years since that product was developed. I can't say for sure, but I do believe I was the first one to produce an upgrade product that piggy-backed with the POKEY chip. In fact maybe I was the first that had an actual product that piggy-backed anything in the Atari at the time (I think the 65816 and Gumby boards came a bit later, likely from Dataque).

post-9681-0-53875400-1453458261.jpg

A little TransKey history...

Most of the discrete parts I would get through a local (at the time) electronics surplus store called HSC in Cotati, CA, and the chips were mail order through Jameco Electronics. The board layout was done by a young lady that ran a one person design company based up in Santa Rosa, CA (where I live now), and IIRC she was using AutoCad to create the 4x prints which were later photographed and reduced to create the negatives for manufacture. Luckily I found a very small board house (also local) that was able to do a run of 100 boards for a price that I could live with. I remember by the Summer of 1990 Jameco was clearing out their 6504 stock, and I was getting the chips for as little as $0.50 a piece, although the zero power ram was still way expensive (nice to have EEPROM storage in the PIC chip I now use).

I remember it was also quite a challenge to get the word out in the beginning, and resorted to running very small ads in Nuts and Volts magazine in their classified section, until I met Bob Woolley who was immensely helpful in spreading the word, and putting an article in the SLCC magazine. I think Bob remembers better than I the circumstances around how we first met. I believe it was at a West Coast Computer Fair, where the club had a booth set up (the RAM in my head needs to be refreshed).

By the end of 1990 I needed to get back to work for someone else, because quite frankly I was struggling to make a living selling TransKeys. So it all got sold to DataQue, and he started producing and selling them in 1991. the rest is history.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

I was directed here after inquiring about keyboard alternatives for an Atari 400.

I'm speechless at how impressed I am with this. Wow.

But my boggled mind can conceive a couple questions. Has anyone tried installing one of these in a 400? Are the POKEY chips the same between different Atari systems? Will it fit in a 400 case?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a 40 pin DIP breakaway socket carrier. The Electronics Surplus site seems dead and google searches give me either the ES site or the project Weebly site.

Any ideas for alternative sources for this part? Any other part that someone could recommend instead?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-40-Pin-DIP-SIP-IC-Sockets-Adaptor-Solder-Type-USA-SELLER-Free-Shipping-/222035707402?

These are great to have on hand and this seller is fast with shipping.

Yogi

Edited by Van