IGNORED

1400XL on eBay

bob1200xl

The 1400XL has a multi-layer motherboard (a ground plane), external power supplies (+5v, -5v, and +12v), a buffered PBI, A V: device (Votrax SC-01), a T: device (300 baud modem), built-in BASIC, 64K of RAM, two joystick ports, and a bunch of coolness built-in. Not to mention a much more user-friendly cartridge port!

I haven't tried yet, but I think the 1450XL board will also fit in this case.

Bob

Yes. I'm using a 1200XL k/b on this one. Just to test, however. The original k/b has mods on it so it's going with the unit.

You can also use a 1200XL top cover but you have to do a little minor surgery. You can tell a 1400XL top cover by the missing L1 L2 LEDs.

Bob

Yes. I'm using a 1200XL k/b on this one. Just to test, however. The original k/b has mods on it so it's going with the unit.

OK, I could see the connector was the same, so I assumed it would take a 1200XL keyboard. More specifically though, is the keyboard that comes with the 1400XL the same, as in having the same feel and so forth?

You can also use a 1200XL top cover but you have to do a little minor surgery. You can tell a 1400XL top cover by the missing L1 L2 LEDs.

I see that now. So one feature a 1200XL has over the 1400XL...

The 14xx keyboards are a mixed lot - some are better feeling than others. They are all Mitsumi and use the same implementation (look the same on the back). 1200XL keyboards come in a number of 'grades', also.

Alright, well I've owned several 1200XL's. I recently sold this beauty, which I would rather have kept: 1200XL Boxed

I didn't realise there was much variation on the keyboards, just that they're all great. It sounds like 1200XL keyboards are generally better than 1400XL's.

Yes, and you can also embed the item number between EBAY tags. A beautiful machine, but the best thing is the "I need more space for my 1200XLs" sentiment. :D

He needed to make room for some IBM Model M keyboards sitting next to his 1200XL's with TK-II's installed ;)

- Michael

Wow $1,400 and no free shipping or even a power supply. I know these guys are rare, but didn't realize the kind of price you could get for one. Dang if I had only known 20 years ago, I would have scooped up all of these I could find :mad:

-Michael

• Like 1

You'd have done well to scoop 1400XLs up, since they were never offered for sale AFAIK.

yeah, I think most of them came out of atari trash, didn't they? According to curts site, Atari removed the model number badges from computers they threw away, to prevent people from trying to return the trash to stores for a refund. Since bob's is missing this, I assume it came out of Atari corps dumpster at some point.

• Like 1

yeah, I think most of them came out of atari trash, didn't they? According to curts site, Atari removed the model number badges from computers they threw away, to prevent people from trying to return the trash to stores for a refund. Since bob's is missing this, I assume it came out of Atari corps dumpster at some point.

Reminds me of a place I used to work for that built ultra-cold refrigeration systems and they switched over to a new model when they still had considerably stock for the old model. Everything went into the trash, but not before someone took a spray can and put graffiti all over it and also took a hammer to it as well. It was sad to see, since we were talking about brand new usable parts. At least Atari didn't do this.

So what the 1400XL brings to the table over a 1200XL is the PBI, built-in Basic, 300 baud Modem, and a Voice Synthesizer. Otherwise it's essentially a 1200XL? So is the Voice Synth built-in to the motherboard or a separate plug-in module? Reason I ask is in the photo there looks to be a daughter board of some sort. I figure its either the Synth or the Modem. If it were the Synth, would this be adaptable to a 1200XL? Be pretty cool if it were, and even if not available it could be duplicated.

Any 1450XLD's make it out into the wild?

- Michael