IGNORED

1400XL on eBay

bob1200xl

That's a huge price, I'd have expected it to go for around $1,500 tops.

But I suppose it's a case of several people at once wanting it. Not to mention even mainstream gear in some cases is starting to become scarce.

Bob Woolley got over $5,000 for the one he sold at the beginning this thread. So based on that I knew this one wasn't going to go for much less. Now do I think that is crazy ridiculous? Yes I do :grin:

My reasoning comes from a practical what can this thing do for me standpoint, and basically it is a BIG fail on that basis for how much it costs. Bottom line other than its rarity (which is obviously important to some), there's hardly anything special or overly great about it versus a 1200XL. It can talk (very poorly), it has a PBI (so do 600,800XL's and 65,130XE's), and it comes with a whopping 300 baud modem (Wow! how impressive is that). Sorry but I'd much rather have that motor that Stephen posted, at least that thing will make something go fast :)

- Michael

Look @ the reconstruction project for the 1400XL, very similar, just add a floppy controller on a PBI, and you have a 1450XLD.

But with the 1450 you'd need to make a new case because you can't just recycle a 1200XL case due to the disk drives. Finding new disk drives would also be a challenge.

That is too funny :rolling:

I went back to the beginning of the thread and read the whole thing. Beetle you did a great job on that mod !!! That has got to be one of the all time best and most extensive case upgrades I have ever seen. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that would absolutely love to add that to my collection, or see aftermarket cases like that offered for sale.

BTW, remind me never to play poker with you ;)

- Michael

• Like 2

I think the thing that keeps me coming back to a 1450XLD is the plastics.. the all in one concept of a 1200XL with build in dual 1050s is very sexy.

From a prototype POV, I have a whole other area of desire to understand and examine the boards as the progressed and what the engineers were thinking and doing, let alone it being unique.

But I would certainly shell out cash for an XL style case where I can toss in a motherboard (XL or XE) and floppy drives to make an AIO.

• Like 1

Hello Michael

You obviously haven't seen Beetle's 1500XL yet. Yep, the smile is his too.

Sincerely

Mathy

I did see that :grin: And I want one of those as well. In my opinion a much better laptop version than what Ben heck came up with. Plain truth is, it really looks like something that could have come out of Atari R&D.

- Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

$4k+ is a bit much for one that probably has damaged video now.

At least Bob's for $5k+ was working.

He never should have plugged the wrong power supply into it. :(

Did anyone here pick it up?

Was it actually damaged?

The seller mentioned that he plugged an 800XL power supply in to this 1400XL. Would that cause any damage? IIRC the pinouts are different and the 1400XL requires several different voltages, including -12V.

Edited by Defender II

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone here pick it up?

Was it actually damaged?

Yes to the first question; second question I can't answer yet. The unit definitely has a 1400 motherboard (rather than a 1450XL combo board), and as such has a 7-pin DIN instead of the 8-pin DIN used on the 1450XLD (less current draw meant the extra ground line wasn't necessary). Plugging an 800XL supply into this would leave the -5V line open or shunted to ground (depending on whether the shield line was open or not), and the 12V line would get 5V instead. Seems unlikely that would cause any damage, but I don't have schematics for the 1400 board so I'm only guessing. If anything, I'd think it would possibly stress the modem, since I'm guessing that's the only thing that actually needs the 12V/-5V. It will be some time before I have a chance to construct a proper power supply and test and repair the 1400XL, if necessary. If anyone's curious I can post the results but it will be awhile. Many moons will pass before I have time to get back to this...
  • Like 3

It will be some time before I have a chance to construct a proper power supply and test and repair the 1400XL, if necessary. If anyone's curious I can post the results but it will be awhile. Many moons will pass before I have time to get back to this...

In my 1450XL build, I used an elpac power brick that had +12v -12v and +5v and replaced the -12v regulator with a -5v regulator. Works great :)

Who prices these computer..?well it not a table from the 18th century.. :),at that price it might as well be...lol,computers should be on The Antique Roadshow..lol,no sorry they are not antique.maybe one day.. ;)

Shame no name plate.

Didn't know there was a 1400XL,what's the difference between 1200XL and 1400XL.?

I'm happy with my lovely 800XL.. ;)

Edited by Spanner

Yes to the first question; second question I can't answer yet. The unit definitely has a 1400 motherboard (rather than a 1450XL combo board), and as such has a 7-pin DIN instead of the 8-pin DIN used on the 1450XLD (less current draw meant the extra ground line wasn't necessary). Plugging an 800XL supply into this would leave the -5V line open or shunted to ground (depending on whether the shield line was open or not), and the 12V line would get 5V instead. Seems unlikely that would cause any damage, but I don't have schematics for the 1400 board so I'm only guessing. If anything, I'd think it would possibly stress the modem, since I'm guessing that's the only thing that actually needs the 12V/-5V. It will be some time before I have a chance to construct a proper power supply and test and repair the 1400XL, if necessary. If anyone's curious I can post the results but it will be awhile. Many moons will pass before I have time to get back to this...

I might have real 1400 schematics laying around. I will have to look. My 1450 ones are horrible.