IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

• 2 weeks later...

Elsewhere there was some discussion about the Zool Redimensioned release, and only when I looked it up, realized that the first Zool was released for the Atari ST.  Curious if that one ever got ported to the Jaguar, since the 2nd one actually was officially released, would be nice to have both of them :)

1 hour ago, leech said:

Elsewhere there was some discussion about the Zool Redimensioned release, and only when I looked it up, realized that the first Zool was released for the Atari ST.  Curious if that one ever got ported to the Jaguar, since the 2nd one actually was officially released, would be nice to have both of them :)

That discussion might have been the Zool RedetermiNed project where you can now play Zool 2 with no more random jumps by hitting up on the D-Pad, and other music patched in for the intro and first level.  Zool RedimeNsioned is mentioned because they did a good job with it and gave Zool all the changes it needed like 1) no mandatory item collection 2) a background that won't be confused for action items 3) gameplay music 4) additional abilities like double jump 5) Ultimate Ninja mode where you can play the game like in the 90s.

I'm going to start by saying, I'm one that asked about this game in the past and there was not much interest in getting it ported by CJ.   Can't blame, Zool on the ST is not one of the better Zool ports:

As a person who likes Zool I would say this about the ST port in that it has basic background not so distracting it detracts from the foreground.   Some of the ports had wayy too much going on and hard to tell between background and action items.

Like with many ST games the graphics are good to ok, but the sound should be swapped out with better samples as CJ has demonstrated quite a few times.

Also gameplay music would add a lot to the fun.

I was thinking the ST version didn't have the mandatory item collection to leave the level, but sadly that is still there.  (Something we're currently looking to see could be removed from Zool 2).

I think one thing I like about the first Zool game verses Zool 2 is the first Zool levels were more linear, blocky, and simplier lay out.    You move along, you take out opponents, the terrain can either be climbed, jumped on, etc, but there is no place you can't technically explore back to.   It can be difficult but not impossible.

Zool 2 they got a little more creative with the level designs in a less fun way.  There ARE areas that cannot be jumped onto, climbed, or what not.  Like in the Swan Lake levels where there are simply areas that can't be climbed back up.   Not to mention enemies that shoot out shrapnel.   So much buck shot and shrapnel it is almost unavoidable.   Add to the fact that compared to the music of the first game the second game is just more surreal...dunno, I didn't think it was as good.   As I've mentioned in the other discussion I can see why there was not a Zool 3.

Overall I think with the ST's graphics and the Jaguar's ability for sound samples and music, the ported Zool game would be fun.  

Maybe one day a Zool fan will port it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

That discussion might have been the Zool RedetermiNed project where you can now play Zool 2 with no more random jumps by hitting up on the D-Pad, and other music patched in for the intro and first level.  Zool RedimeNsioned is mentioned because they did a good job with it and gave Zool all the changes it needed like 1) no mandatory item collection 2) a background that won't be confused for action items 3) gameplay music 4) additional abilities like double jump 5) Ultimate Ninja mode where you can play the game like in the 90s.

I'm going to start by saying, I'm one that asked about this game in the past and there was not much interest in getting it ported by CJ.   Can't blame, Zool on the ST is not one of the better Zool ports:

As a person who likes Zool I would say this about the ST port in that it has basic background not so distracting it detracts from the foreground.   Some of the ports had wayy too much going on and hard to tell between background and action items.

Like with many ST games the graphics are good to ok, but the sound should be swapped out with better samples as CJ has demonstrated quite a few times.

Also gameplay music would add a lot to the fun.

I was thinking the ST version didn't have the mandatory item collection to leave the level, but sadly that is still there.  (Something we're currently looking to see could be removed from Zool 2).

I think one thing I like about the first Zool game verses Zool 2 is the first Zool levels were more linear, blocky, and simplier lay out.    You move along, you take out opponents, the terrain can either be climbed, jumped on, etc, but there is no place you can't technically explore back to.   It can be difficult but not impossible.

Zool 2 they got a little more creative with the level designs in a less fun way.  There ARE areas that cannot be jumped onto, climbed, or what not.  Like in the Swan Lake levels where there are simply areas that can't be climbed back up.   Not to mention enemies that shoot out shrapnel.   So much buck shot and shrapnel it is almost unavoidable.   Add to the fact that compared to the music of the first game the second game is just more surreal...dunno, I didn't think it was as good.   As I've mentioned in the other discussion I can see why there was not a Zool 3.

Overall I think with the ST's graphics and the Jaguar's ability for sound samples and music, the ported Zool game would be fun.  

Maybe one day a Zool fan will port it.

I don't know if I've ever even played Zool 2 on the Jag, I know I played the first one on the Amiga, wasn't aware it was even ported to the ST until today.  I should just play them on the CD32.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Wasn't Zool STe enhanced though? I've got a list of STe enhanced games and Zool

is definitely on that list...

Would be curious to see what the regular ST graphics look like compared to STe graphics.

Also, if there was an extended graphics mode, can the Jaguar port turn on those graphics?

47 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Would be curious to see what the regular ST graphics look like compared to STe graphics.

Also, if there was an extended graphics mode, can the Jaguar port turn on those graphics?

I kind of thought the majority of STe enhanced games simply added the PCM/Stereo sound?  Guess someone could test it on Hatari, or Steem, etc.

1 minute ago, leech said:

I kind of thought the majority of STe enhanced games simply added the PCM/Stereo sound?  Guess someone could test it on Hatari, or Steem, etc.

A lot of them also extend the colour palette.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

A lot of them also extend the colour palette.

Yeah, I would imagine some added more colors, and hopefully blitter support for smoother scrolling or something.  Could be a cool video series to see ST / STe enhanced / Amiga version side by side.  Something like Zool would be amazing for this, as it was released for the ST + enhanced, Genesis, Amiga and even AGA Amigas.  Only other games I could think of would be the Ishar series (not Genesis, but did come out for PC and the Falcon and I believe are also STe enhanced.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure that's right. Better shading, colour depth and scrolling. James Pond was another that springs to mind that was similarly enhanced. Its easy to see the difference and I do wonder if people calling it lackluster on the Atari never saw it on an STE or even knew it was enhanced. Zool STE would be a great candidate for Jag conversion IMO.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2023 at 10:51 PM, Atari030 said:

Pretty sure that's right. Better shading, colour depth and scrolling. James Pond was another that springs to mind that was similarly enhanced. Its easy to see the difference and I do wonder if people calling it lackluster on the Atari never saw it on an STE or even knew it was enhanced. Zool STE would be a great candidate for Jag conversion IMO.

Looks much better than the other version of Zool I saw before.

Couple that with Amiga sounds and music might be a good combo.

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Or, you could contact them with a proposal. Something tells me they would at least listen. :cool:

New Atari did say they were supportive of the retro scene.

Spin would be Bentley Bear is the unspoken mascot of Atari.

ScreenShot2023-09-12at5_02_21PM.png.b4e283bf19a1def9777ed5e013046d14.png

[Atari Mania 2022]

Getting Crystal Castle on the Jaguar would help Atari establish Bentley that much more as a mascot, and help build excitement for future Bentley Bear projects and Bentley Bear merchandise sales.

We get a free game, and Atari gets free advertising.  ;)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So there was my case for Crystal Castles. Hopefully possible one day.

In the meantime something I was thinking lately, especially with Beast Busters and Ghouls'n'Ghosts being on the Jaguar high score club this month; thanks for all the fun these games have added to the Jag.  :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doctorclu said:

In the meantime something I was thinking lately, especially with Beast Busters and Ghouls'n'Ghosts being on the Jaguar high score club this month; thanks for all the fun these games have added to the Jag.  :D

You are welcome - keep playing and keep having fun. It's why we're all here.

• Like 5

One of my childhood favorite game was Wonder Boy In Monster Land. Arcade, C64 and Amiga ports are familiar to me, but never played Atari St version.

To me it looks really decent and good version that classic game. Any chance to have Jaguar port?