IGNORED

Atari ST Games Ported to the Jaguar

CyranoJ

Here we go, fixed up:

• Doesn't corrupt colours when starting from the Hi Score screen
  • Haven't heard the high squeeled pitch during testing for 30 minutes (I made a change, but it might still be there)
  • Most importantly: Doesn't lock up when you get a high score because there isn't a keyboard on the Jaguar :P

Hopefully thats it.

Outrun-02-12-23-Skunk-GD.rom

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Here we go, fixed up:

• Doesn't corrupt colours when starting from the Hi Score screen
  • Haven't heard the high squeeled pitch during testing for 30 minutes (I made a change, but it might still be there)
  • Most importantly: Doesn't lock up when you get a high score because there isn't a keyboard on the Jaguar :P

Hopefully thats it.

Outrun-02-12-23-Skunk-GD.rom 4 MB · 10 downloads

Just want to thank you for all of your contributions you have done to the gaming community.   Most appreciated.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for asking this, yet I'm genuinely curious...why are some people porting so many Atari ST games to the Jaguar, both good and bad? I'm mostly referring to the arcade conversions. Outrun, for example, has an extremely choppy framerate and there's an STe version that greatly improves on it, but somehow it was ignored during the porting process. I know it would take more time and effort, but I think having an Amiga-to-Jaguar, or even a straight Arcade-to-Jaguar port would be much better for graphics, audio, gameplay, etc.

Edited by Cris1997XX
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for asking this, yet I'm genuinely curious...why are some people porting so many Atari ST games to the Jaguar

I don't know why all the other people are doing it, but I do it because I grew up with ST and love these games, and because I can, and so I do.  If people don't like them, move on, walk on by, keep strolling.

I get enjoyment from them, other people tell me they do as well.   No amount of piss and vinegar is going to take that away from me.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

I don't know why all the other people are doing it, but I do it because I gew up with ST and love these games

As someone who grew up with the 8-bit Atari, saw the ST in magazines and knew I'd never afford one, I find it a cool way to see games I never got to experience before.  Also, people wanted an Atari 2600 emulator for the Jag.  WTF - these let you skip forward 2 generations!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

I don't know why all the other people are doing it, but I do it because I gew up with ST and love these games, and because I can, and so I do.  If people don't like them, move on, walk on by, keep strolling.

I get enjoyment from them, other people tell me they do as well.   No amount of piss and vinegar is going to take that away from me.

I have gotten more enjoyment from your games(original and ports) than any other games on the Jaguar. It is not even close. Thank you for all your hard work CJ!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for asking this, yet I'm genuinely curious...why are some people porting so many Atari ST games to the Jaguar, both good and bad?

You are not the first to ask.   Well don't worry, there are about 100 games out there that were commercial release for the Jaguar, and plenty of games being made directly for the Jaguar as a developer community.   And some of THOSE games were ports from the Amiga, Genesis, etc.

As for me, if I could sit down and play my Jaguar and Game Drive with every game ported from every system from the Jaguar hardware contemporaries on down, I would.  Bubsy Claws Encounters from the Genesis for the Jaguar?  Hell yeh!   Tron Deadly Discs from Intellivision for the Jaguar, make it so!

It is not so much a matter of every game being "64 bit Powar" but more options for play, and enjoyable gameplay.

(And also, the laziness of not wanting to connect up another game system for that game.  :P  )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

(And also, the laziness of not wanting to connect up another game system for that game.  :P  )

I feel your pain, brother :) 

The single, most honest, but unbeatable answer to the questions above.

@Cris1997XX

The "ports" are far more than just ports. They often include alternative sound/music sets. Also, in some cases, code was optimised or shifted to the DSP to run faster, to make the experience better. Apart from that, the games are little works of art. They attest to the fact how skilled in the craft is the author. It must be serious fun being that good. And it provides a lot of entertainment for the rest of us. I don't see why so many people get all worked up about this. On the other hand, CyranoJ and his minions have more than a terrific track record in developing their own games, original and marvelous every one of them.

As for the ports from other systems - that's a toughie. The ST line uses the same CPU as the Jag and that's it. So the code technically executes, but the input does not work and neither does the output. Graphics are fundamentally different between the systems, and so is the sound. So it is all about figuring out what was done on the ST and how to accomplish that on the Jag. That means knowing both systems to the core. And it should answer your question why there are no "ports" from other platforms - you really have to be able to read that (decompiled, undocumented) code quite fluently to even begin to contemplate "just porting" it.

For me this is where I take the hat off to the meister, and enjoy the games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Heh, I know right? It would be real bad if someone started locking them behind a paywall...

And who is doing that?

If you are referring to my patreon, well then:

1. You literally just complained about the ST ports, but now you've moved the goalposts because of River Raid, an 8bit port?

3. These ports are not behind your imagined "paywall" and never will be.

3. It clearly states in the River Raid post that the ROM will be released anyway.

4. My patreon clearly states that anything intended for release will be released for free anyway, at a later date. Nothing has really changed.

5. Kindly provide me with your GD serial so I can make sure nothing I release for free runs on your device ever again.

6. You seem like a really self entitled person. Try getting over yourself.

Merry Xmas.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

And who is doing that?

If you are referring to my patreon, well then:

1. You literally just complained about the ST ports, but now you've moved the goalposts because of River Raid, an 8bit port?

3. These ports are not behind your imagined "paywall" and never will be.

3. It clearly states in the River Raid post that the ROM will be released anyway.

4. My patreon clearly states that anything intended for release will be released for free anyway, at a later date. Nothing has really changed.

5. Kindly provide me with your GD serial so I can make sure nothing I release for free runs on your device ever again.

6. You seem like a really self entitled person. Try getting over yourself.

Merry Xmas.

Alright, let's make things clear...first, I've never mentioned River Raid. Second, I didn't even know you had a Patreon as I'm not interested in that kinda stuff. And third, I play on emulators anyway 😁
I admire your "good intentions", but you're just putting words in my mouth at this point. Nice try though

Edited by Cris1997XX

29 minutes ago, Cris1997XX said:

Alright, let's make things clear...first, I've never mentioned River Raid. Second, I didn't even know you had a Patreon as I'm not interested in that kinda stuff.

Funny you knew exactly what was being mentioned without anyone saying it.  Keep digging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don't get the moaning about developers not doing what so-and-so wants them to do. It would be much like me moaning that Kylie Minogue won't write music I like. I don't listen to Kylie and let her get on with whatever it is she's doing. I don't care. It's not harming my love for prog rock. As a guitarist I don't play songs I don't like or have any interest in, I play what I enjoy. A developer (or any artist) will write what inspires, not what a few whingers demand. That's why ST games get ported. Its what they love, its not a commercial interest. They are under no obligation to cater to anyone.  I'm stunned it needs explaining and the constant sooking is bloody annoying.

Thanks guys for all the Jag games. Keep it up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Atari030 said:

I don't get the moaning about developers not doing what so-and-so wants them to do.

There are plenty of development tools for the Jaguar.  If someone doesn't like the homebrews being released, maybe they should learn how to use the tools and do better themselves.

Those who can, do.  Those who can't... whine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2022 at 12:17 AM, CyranoJ said:

I was saving this for Xmas day, but may as well get some play time early if you can.

Happy holidays, everyone - I hope you all have a great time.

ROTJ.rom 4 MB · 543 downloads

ROTJ.mrq 31.05 kB · 164 downloads

Skunk / JaguardGD / BigPEmu locked (Eanable 'Force JGD' in the options)

Well it only took me two years of off and on play, but I finally beat the hard level!   Had a score of like 105,955 or something like that.

Lot of fun.   I think I'm wearing it out.  Loads sometimes, and sometimes not.  I think I like the speeder bikes part the best.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

The only bummer about "ST" ports is that Double Dragon 2 has not been done yet.   It's a great port, and if the arcade soundtrack was added it would be the best 16 bit port.  All that said, I have them all on the Game Drive and just about every one they put on cart.   Having "Star Wars Arcade" on Jaguar is amazing, especially with a mouse.  

• Like 3