IGNORED

The Official MISSILE DOMINATION thread - IntellivisionRevolution

Rev

I'd like to see if you can find it. It should be kind of obvious.

you really like drama dont you? Instead of just saying or showing where the problem is you just have to keep dragging it out just like everything else... Edited by pimpmaul69

you really like drama dont you? Instead of just saying or showing where the problem is you just have to keep dragging it out just like everything else...

I don't see anything wrong with seeing if others can spot it, especially the shipper of the games himself.

And I did say where the problem is... on the back of the box.

I found this in some random forum. Make of it what you wish:

I just wish to mention for your interest the term United Nations should be United Nationss (with the possessive s after the apostrophe ) or United Nations (without the possessive s after the apostrophe ). The word Nations is the plural of Nation. United Nations is the name given to this body comprises of many nations of the world and is used as a singular even though the noun Nations is plural in number.

The United Nations' Millennium Development Goal... means The goal of the United Nations Millennium Development...

What does this have to do with your box? Your box doesn't mention the United Nations at all.

Edited by Eric7100

What does this have to do with your box? Your box doesn't mention the United Nations at all.

You are right. Its about the word and usage of 'nations'.

I also suspect the "typo" is nothing.

And anyway, why focus on something negative? How about actually playing the game.

• Like 2

@ Rev

Its the old story, I really wonder how many copies never get the warm, soft touch of the cartridge slot in their life :( When I get my copy of MD I will write a few lines about the game, I am excited :D

I feel for those that don't get the warm, soft touch of the cartridge slot in their life ,lol I make sure that all mine get to experience over and over...

I also have a GREAT Idea to make Eric happy in the Future. May Rev sells him future releases as cart only game with a discount, so he has nothing to worry about and saves money. Everyone would be happy :D

@ m-crew

May some Highscore-Battle? :)

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

I also suspect the "typo" is nothing.

And anyway, why focus on something negative? How about actually playing the game.

Gee, sorry to "converse" on a conversation forum.

Anyway, the typo is the double use of the word "and" (and and).

I'm done. Sorry to point this (or ANYthing) out.

Edited by Eric7100

I received my copies of M.D. and L.B. today. Everything looks great. Thanks, Rev!

L.B. definitely needs more love in the forums, because it seems that most people are only discussing M.D.

Am I the only one to notice a typo on the box for M.D.?

Huh...I carefully examined the box I have and can't find 'and and' -- nor a misuse of "nations".

Uh oh -- does this mean there are ... shudder ... variants?

@ Rev

Its the old story, I really wonder how many copies never get the warm, soft touch of the cartridge slot in their life :( When I get my copy of MD I will write a few lines about the game, I am excited :D

I played it during during development and was very impressed by the game-play and the implementation of the missile contrails, including the multi-warhead branching. It is fast-paced, frenetic arcade action, just like we all remember Missile Command to be, and the disc is a natural and intuitive facsimile of the original trackball -- much more so than a mere joystick, like other consoles had to endure.

The biggest criticism that I had, and I've mentioned this to Rev before, is the same I had for Chopter Chommand; mainly that the sprite, backgrounds, and colour choices seem to resemble too much old Atari VCS games rather than more sophisticated Intellivision games.

It reminds me of the old Activision games, where they just ported the Atari version over to the Intellivision without even changing the graphics. Some stylistic decisions were originally made to compensate for limitation of the hardware that did not really exist on the Intellivision, and so they looked dated or out of place.

Another criticism I have is that the game is much too simple. The ray projections are indeed a very impressive technical feat to accomplish on the Intellivision, so no argument there; however, other than that, it's just a very repetitive game, and other than the occasional new enemy ship, there is little variety across levels.

Of course, it's just Missile Command, one of the very first successful arcade games from the late 1970s, so simple is built-in; but in my view you either replicate the original exactly, or you re-interpret it and transform it. It seems that it lands somewhere in the middle: many nuances of the original are missing, and the differences do not really seem to improve upon the original. For instance, the sound effects appear to be more generic bleeps and boops in Missile Domination, and the explosions of the warheads flash too fast to sometimes register visually.

This is not to knock on the game, the programmer did a great job with Missile Domination (and it does resemble games produced back in the day, even if they are from Activision), but I wish that in the future he would try to integrate better with the Intellivision visual and game-play styles, and to perhaps provide more original content.

Notwithstanding, the game is a great arcade/action title, fluid and enjoyable, and I will definitely participate in the HSC.

My personal rating would be:

Originality: 2 out of 10

Graphics: 6 out of 10

Sound: 5 out of 10

Control: 9 out of 10 (-1 because I hate side-buttons!)

Game-Play: 9 out of 10

Replayability: 6 out of 10

Overall: 6 out of 10

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I played it during during development and was very impressed by the game-play and the implementation of the missile contrails, including the multi-warhead branching. It is fast-paced, frenetic arcade action, just like we all remember Missile Command to be, and the disc is a natural and intuitive facsimile of the original trackball -- much more so than a mere joystick, like other consoles had to endure.

The biggest criticism that I had, and I've mentioned this to Rev before, is the same I had for Chopter Chommand; mainly that the sprite, backgrounds, and colour choices seem to resemble too much old Atari VCS games rather than more sophisticated Intellivision games.

It reminds me of the old Activision games, where they just ported the Atari version over to the Intellivision without even changing the graphics. Some stylistic decisions were originally made to compensate for limitation of the hardware that did not really exist on the Intellivision, and so they looked dated or out of place.

Another criticism I have is that the game is much too simple. The ray projections are indeed a very impressive technical feat to accomplish on the Intellivision, so no argument there; however, other than that, it's just a very repetitive game, and other than the occasional new enemy ship, there is little variety across levels.

Of course, it's just Missile Command, one of the very first successful arcade games from the late 1970s, so simple is built-in; but in my view you either replicate the original exactly, or you re-interpret it and transform it. It seems that it lands somewhere in the middle: many nuances of the original are missing, and the differences do not really seem to improve upon the original. For instance, the sound effects appear to be more generic bleeps and boops in Missile Domination, and the explosions of the warheads flash too fast to sometimes register visually.

This is not to knock on the game, the programmer did a great job with Missile Domination (and it does resemble games produced back in the day, even if they are from Activision), but I wish that in the future he would try to integrate better with the Intellivision visual and game-play styles, and to perhaps provide more original content.

Notwithstanding, the game is a great arcade/action title, fluid and enjoyable, and I will definitely participate in the HSC.

My personal rating would be:

Originality: 2 out of 10

Graphics: 6 out of 10

Sound: 5 out of 10

Control: 9 out of 10 (-1 because I hate side-buttons!)

Game-Play: 9 out of 10

Replayability: 6 out of 10

Overall: 6 out of 10

-dZ.

I don't have yet received my copy, but after seeing videos Missile Domination for Intellivision looks and sounds pretty similar to the arcade.

This doesn't look like the Atari VCS version, I've played the Atari VCS version and it's almost crap (only one base, your cursor is a long line, missiles fall in parallel)

Given is a port of arcade, the originality, sound and graphics scoring is non-sense unless you're also criticizing the original game.

IMHO the graphics are pretty good ones for the Intellivision capabilities.

I typically don't order homebrews unless these impress me, and Missile Domination impressed me :) I'm looking forward to play it to see how the programmer accounted for Intellivision graphic limitations.

I don't have yet received my copy, but after seeing videos Missile Domination for Intellivision looks and sounds pretty similar to the arcade.

This doesn't look like the Atari VCS version, I've played the Atari VCS version and it's almost crap (only one base, your cursor is a long line, missiles fall in parallel)

Given is a port of arcade, the originality, sound and graphics scoring is non-sense unless you're also criticizing the original game.

IMHO the graphics are pretty good ones for the Intellivision capabilities.

I typically don't order homebrews unless these impress me, and Missile Domination impressed me :) I'm looking forward to play it to see how the programmer accounted for Intellivision graphic limitations.

Well, rather than criticize my subjective opinion, why don't you just wait until you are able to make your own? :roll:

And to address your point, it is not quite as similar to the original, for I was playing the original in MAME to compare it during beta testing and providing feedback. There are some nuances that were not captured and some changes that seem to lessen the impact of original features. I pointed this out because I thought the point was to replicate the original. If the point was to make a different game "inspired by" the original, then the originality, sound, and graphics criteria are valid. Hence my comment that it is neither. ;)

In any case, my comment was in response to Ignorama's who seemed to suggest that, once again, people were praising the box and the release but not actually playing the game. I did play it, and I like it, but it is not a perfect game, nor is it a perfect replica of the original. It is a good game, and I enjoyed it.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Well, rather than criticize my subjective opinion, why don't you just wait until you are able to make your own? :roll:

And to address your point, it is not quite as similar to the original, for I was playing the original in MAME to compare it during beta testing and providing feedback. There are some nuances that were not captured and some changes that seem to lessen the impact of original features. I pointed this out because I thought the point was to replicate the original. If the point was to make a different game "inspired by" the original, then the originality, sound, and graphics criteria are valid. Hence my comment that it is neither. ;)

In any case, my comment was in response to Ignorama's who seemed to suggest that, once again, people were praising the box and the release but not actually playing the game. I did play it, and I like it, but it is not a perfect game, nor is it a perfect replica of the original. It is a good game, and I enjoyed it.

-dZ.

Good challenge! I'm starting to like scoring games :)

Just pointed out that it didn't looked anything like the Atari VCS version as I've played it almost weekly.

The biggest criticism... ...seem to resemble too much old Atari VCS games...

And BTW I would score it like 9 for originality :grin: I don't have seen this game for Intellivision ;)

Just pointed out that it didn't looked anything like the Atari VCS version as I've played it almost weekly.

And I'll just point out that I wasn't comparing it to the VCS version, but to the archetypical style of VCS game's look and feel.