IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

A dev board running Windows 95? His 'prototype' wasn't on the up-and-up either.

Each prototype is worse than the one before it. John Carlsen at least had a development setup, even if he hadn't done the hard work of programming it yet. Then we went to plagiarised hardware, and now we are at random hardware that just sort of looks a bit technical

• Like 3

Have they just taken another Facebook pic down? And then there were three...

They sure did. Here's the picture they took down:

%5C%5Cgoldensdomain.com%5Cccproto.gif

EDIT:

Not sure why the image isn't displaying.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 2

Not sure if FB mods would listen, but everyone with a Facebook should report the page. Better it just be taken down at this point.

But why would anybody but the coleco team want that page down? Especially now?

I just got some of that new cheddar popcorn seasoning...

• Like 3

Yeah it's gone. Interesting timing eh? :)

64724661.jpg

"Yes, we took the pictures down, but so what? We had no idea that you haters and witch-hunters were out there on the Internet spinning wild conspiracy theories. It was just a coincidence. Besides, unlike you haters, we're not obsessed with living in the past. We're pressing on boldly to the future, and to making our next prototype even better! Stay tuned ... in time, all will be revealed!"

• Like 2

The story so far:

1 ) RVGS, cartridges yeahhhhh

2 ) KS, thanks no proto

3 ) no KS, IGG no proto

4 ) of course we have proto

5 ) random dev boards = proto (nahhh, he didn't!?!?)

6 ) stop IGG, we'll regroup

7 ) sorry, can we all be friends?

8 ) Coleco, cartridges yeahhhhh

9 ) Toy Fair, proto

10) Snes-in-a-Jag = proto (mmmmmkey???)

11) KS will explain everything

12) no KS, it's not a SNES

13) new improved proto

14) screen capture card = proto (uh!!!, what?!?!)

15) ....

we miss a couple of marriages, incest sex, some bestiality and we've got ourselves a complete Retro Soap Opera.

Dear Mike "I am your father".

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 8

Kennedy must be at "losing his house" level crisis to be making this little sense... that, or he really thinks that he is THAT much smarter than the rest of the gaming community. This is so disgustingly... insulting. I hope everyone who has a GameGavel account deletes it.

• Like 1

But what if we are being trolled? I just checked in with my Facebook account and this story is all over the place. It's blowing up like crazy. What if they show up in a week with a totally working prototype and are like "ha, ha, fooled you!" This whole story does seem like obvious bait.

If it hasn't been a long setup for an April Fools' prank, he has 30 days to make it look like it was. Maybe he'll send you one of his fake prototypes for giving him the idea.

• Like 5

Good job guys, cannot wait for Mike's response to this.

I think I can give you that right now ...

64724661.jpg

"Why yes, we put a capture card in the Jaguar shell. I admit it ... I took the pictures! It's right there! I just never expected it to blow up into this big thing. Our FPGA core simply doesn't have HDMI output working yet. With the whirlwind of interest we've been getting, we wanted to get VGA output working as quickly as possible, and this was simply the easiest way for us to do that. The capture card is actually plugged into our prototype board! Hardware Guy tells me that this is a standard technique, and we were going to tell you all about it anyway, so there's nothing to fear. Keep the faith, and stay tuned!"

• Like 2

I used to pull crap like this in school. I did a homemade solar cell science project. I used blue paper and stripped wire. It looked like a real silicon solar cell and was very convincing. And it was to spin a motor.

I asked the teacher to schedule it on like Thursday when I knew damned well it was gonna be cloudy and raining. Then she said we'd do it the following week when it'd be sunny out and why don't I leave my project in school instead of lugging it back and forth home and school.

Instantly I told her naw, "I'm taking it home to improve it! And make it even better." This gave me time to further the hoax and wiggle out of it. I took it home and rigged a battery and capacitor. I even put some other parts in there to make a fake control circuit. It was hooked alright, but isolated by diodes and 10M Ohm resistors. So it did nothing, but looked impressive. I was exuding confidence! I had it in the bag.

So comes the big day and I power it up and it works, both indoors and outdoors. In light and dark. And I fed them more bullshit about how the battery and capacitor stored energy from the sun and was available 24/7. I got an A.

Some number of days later my parents got a call from a professor that works with gifted kids and all and wanted to interview me.

Keatah, with all due respect, you did show competence in electronics to hook up a power supply properly wired to run a load. And you were in grade school.

Mike Kennedy and his posse showed they have enough competence to wire an LED. Bravo! He also likely has a college degree.

I would expect more from you as an adult and more from Mike as well. Everyone pulled BS in grade school. It's expected to some extent. Time for mike to put on his big boy pants.

• Like 2

I feel like I finally contributed to something, lol. Now I need to get my Lynx mods done.

But, yeah, I post this... people go hmm..

From a Gametech usa video, lol... I wonder what's sticking out inside there?

Pict is of an SNES JR

GametechusaKevtrisSNESJRBOARD

Jaybird here , he just about predicts the endgame/future, lol, great work. How did you happen to have a clearshell?

Well, we all appreciate the sacrifice ... especially me, because you inspired me to create my very own video game system!

I've kept quiet about this until now, but I've always felt that the Mattel Aquarius Home Computer System would make a great foundation for a video game console ... and today, thanks to the power of crowdfunding and those miraculous Jaguar shells, I've found a way to make it happen.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to present ... The Aquarius Alpaca!!!

attachicon.gif3.jpeg

attachicon.gif1.jpeg

I can neither confirm nor deny that the board inside this prototype is or is not an original Aquarius motherboard pulled out of an old computer, but eventually this system will contain an advanced FPGA core, and it will come with a lab-grade power supply and a complete collection of classic Aquarius software on cartridge!

Here is a look at the system with the controllers:

attachicon.gif2.jpeg

There is no power switch because I couldn't figure out how to wire it up (hey, I'm management, what do you want?), so to turn on the system, simply plug it in. (Just don't leave it on too long, or you'll melt the tape and glue holding it together.) These controllers are actually hardwired into the prototype, but unfortunately, they do not function with the games at this time. But hey ... I've got controllers, and I've got the console shell, and that's half the battle right there!

So, what are the specifications of this system, the release dates, and the launch titles? You'll have to wait until my exciting Kickstarter campaign to find out. I am already in talks with major industry players—I cornered them on the plane during the flight to Toy Fair and forced them to hand over their business cards—and with a prototype like this, plus a couple of sizzle reels showing 3D renders of the completed system in action, I figure I can raise at least $1.95M. Plus, if I can raise more, I can make it available in limited Collector's Edition colors! So just hang in there until the Kickstarter campaign, and all your questions will be answered!

And this man got so angry, he disassembled 2 working units to form... THE PROTOTYPE!!!

And takes a giant piss on their farce.

Not going to make a video, but i took some quick pictures. Looks like the cut some of the plastic off from inside the shell to make the snes slot be up a bit higher, but im not going to ruin mine to make a better fit. Here is a comparison someone made earlier:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3439661

and my pic:

ylscAyRl.jpg

here is a couple more I took:

http://imgur.com/a/SOhhK

as you can see, the back sticks out exactly as much as it does in their video, but i did not cover mine in black tape.

And now the last posts, just priceless, sad, amazing, but priceless.

At least alot of people probably aren't gonna get cleaned out by him now.

Wow. Great detective work on that board.

• Like 4

Jaybird here , he just about predicts the endgame/future, lol, great work. How did you happen to have a clearshell?

Glad you liked it! Like many of us here, I actually bought the clear shell from Mike not long after he acquired the molds, in the months leading up to the IndieGoGo campaign.

• Like 1

I have an interesting conspiracy theory. Please forgive me if it sounds a bit crazy. This might just be the Mountain Dew and popcorn talking.

What if we're all being deliberately trolled? I know the obvious replies to this question would include things like brand damage, trashing their reputation, alienating potential consumers, fraud, etc. Even as I type this post the idea that we're being deliberately trolled doesn't seem likely.

But what if we are being trolled? I just checked in with my Facebook account and this story is all over the place. It's blowing up like crazy. What if they show up in a week with a totally working prototype and are like "ha, ha, fooled you!" This whole story does seem like obvious bait.

Again, seems very unlikely but I just had to mention the idea.

They aren't that clever. If they did, they would do it right the first time. See also satirical posts by BunnyBoy on social media. That's how you do it. Get it right first, then crack all the jokes you want.