IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

What he posted here originally was the closest thing to an apology. What he then posted to facebook was further from it and invalidated it.

Whatever that video was, it was not an apology and only sought to make matters worse.

So case fucking remaining open already if you don't mind.

Whatever floats your boat. ;) :thumbsup:

These last few (dozen?) pages are exactly why I don't watch 99.9% of YouTube "channels" out there regarding video games. How many more videos are people going to make that basically just say what we've already uncovered in this thread? What's the point, other than to get "likes" or subscribers or whatever social media needs feed their egos. Whether it's rehashing readily known information, or just flat out mis-information, most YouTube retro videos are largely worthless. And that's not even getting into the people who sign up on forums to do nothing but post links to their videos and not contribute in any other way. Anyway, unless someone comes out with new information, I think this horse has been beaten lifeless a few dozen pages ago and we don't need additional drama of YouTubers calling out other YouTubers and other such immature nonsense.

• Like 26

Nice little Piko Interactive Special on the latest Retrogaming Roundup:

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2016/roundup099_2016.03.php

Inasmuch as I would like to hear what everyone says, two hours is awfully much for me. It's nothing personal. I do appreciate the work and candor.

I did skip around some: Like to the part where Eli says (~01:09:00) they were pulling out of the Chameleon and Mike starts using strong arm tactics--"You're just a guy that works from home" and "You're losing a chance for the most money you'll ever make in your life" types of things.

Interesting.

So before Kickstarter:

-No CollectorVision titles

-No Piko Interactive titles

-No Kickstarter video from BBT

-No prototype

• Like 9

I'm torn here. I have friends who are in support of gamester81 and those who are not in support of him. I think I am going to go sit in a secluded corner somewhere and hide.

Looks like there is going to be quite a lot of collateral damage in the community. Can't say I like that. :(

It's going to be some showdown...

giphy-1.gif

• Like 10

These last few (dozen?) pages are exactly why I don't watch 99.9% of YouTube "channels" out there regarding video games. [...] Anyway, unless someone comes out with new information, I think this horse has been beaten lifeless a few dozen pages ago and we don't need additional drama of YouTubers calling out other YouTubers and other such immature nonsense.

Exactly. And I seem to have lost the thread here, has MK started his gofundme yet?

• Like 4

Works for me son, try again.

Nope

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /shownotes/2016/roundup099_2016.03.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

EDIT: Huh? Seems to be Geoblocking! When using an US IP it works.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I agree with madman, this thread has started going nowhere fast. I vote for it being locked to everyone except Mike Kennedy.

Several people have mentioned they can't wait to see Coleco's hardware report. I think the chances of us seeing that are slim to none. That will likely be kept private, and now there's really nothing else to discuss until we hear from Mike himself.

Edited by glazball

These last few (dozen?) pages are exactly why I don't watch 99.9% of YouTube "channels" out there regarding video games. How many more videos are people going to make that basically just say what we've already uncovered in this thread? What's the point, other than to get "likes" or subscribers or whatever social media needs feed their egos. Whether it's rehashing readily known information, or just flat out mis-information, most YouTube retro videos are largely worthless. And that's not even getting into the people who sign up on forums to do nothing but post links to their videos and not contribute in any other way. Anyway, unless someone comes out with new information, I think this horse has been beaten lifeless a few dozen pages ago and we don't need additional drama of YouTubers calling out other YouTubers and other such immature nonsense.

Fortunately, or unfortunately. Youtube,podcasts, social media is where gaming discussion has shifted to. BBS such as Atari Age and others are like it are really a relic (no offense to AA meant) of the late 90's early 2000's. Your average gamer isn't going to sign up for and sift through hundreds of pages on a forum. They're going to head to youtube, so that's where the widespread dissemination of info will be flowing from. Can you honestly tell me the drama unfolding over youtube right now is any different than the nonsense that was going on over message boards 15 years ago? There's posturing, some have financial interests at stake. I've seen that played out over and over in this hobby before social media.

• Like 2

So what? He doesn't want to start a war. Nothing hard to understand about that. It's all the trolls that keep egging on, that keep people fired up and start the side taking.

What is the correct way to handle a situation like that? There really isn't one because it's still a no-win situation. Can't please everybody.

If I had a bunch of goofballs trolling on me, I would have been a little irritated too.

I don't know what ISIS and kids have to do with it either..lol. It's just silly really... but anyways, if people want to keep beating a dead horse, have at it. I could care less about any of it anymore...

I couldn't agree more, for him it is a no-win situation. The sooner he realizes it the sooner he can begin the heal.

EDIT: noticed that SiLic0ne t0aD85 liked this post.

Hopefully it was clear that I have no sympathy for the blunders of that individual, the first apology here on AA was alright, the backpedaling after that only meant he wasn't sincere to begin with, he truly believes he either did no wrong or because his wrong his no more wrong that someone else's wrong then he's fine. Sure!!!

• Like 1

Fortunately, or unfortunately. Youtube,podcasts, social media is where gaming discussion has shifted to. BBS such as Atari Age and others are like it are really a relic (no offense to AA meant) of the late 90's early 2000's. Your average gamer isn't going to sign up for and sift through hundreds of pages on a forum. They're going to head to youtube, so that's where the widespread dissemination of info will be flowing from. Can you honestly tell me the drama unfolding over youtube right now is any different than the nonsense that was going on over message boards 15 years ago? There's posturing, some have financial interests at stake. I've seen that played out over and over in this hobby before social media.

Without this thread, those YouTubers have almost no information for their videos. I don't want to name any names, but many of the videos did nothing more than summarize the contents of this thread. Without this "relic" of a source, the YouTubers have no content. This forum is also collaborative, videos are not. If I want to respond to a post here with additional info, it takes me a few seconds. I'm not going to setup a camera to add 1 or 2 sentences of information or correct something wrong in a video.

• Like 14

Several people have mentioned they can't wait to see Coleco's hardware report. I think the chances of us seeing that are slim to none. That will likely be kept private, and now there's really nothing else to discuss until we hear from Mike himself.

one of two thing will happen, Mike will lose the rights to use the Coleco name or Coleco will be shady and join the bandwagon, doubt they will do it tho

Without this thread, those YouTubers have almost no information for their videos. I don't want to name any names, but many of the videos did nothing more than summarize the contents of this thread. Without this "relic" of a source, the YouTubers have no content. This forum is also collaborative, videos are not. If I want to respond to a post here with additional info, it takes me a few seconds. I'm not going to setup a camera to add 1 or 2 sentences of information or correct something wrong in a video.

True, but where were BBS getting their info from back in the early days? Primarily newsgroups from what I remember. Folks would comb through usenet and repost relevant info on message boards. That's no different than what's going on now other than there's a much larger and easier to find audience.

ShopDrop&Retro is considering such a video project. While we sometimes don't see eye-to-eye, he certainly has a unique viewpoint and makes informative, entertaining videos. I don't have the link handy, but you might consider watching his Retroland video (about RVGS, but I'm sure still applies). He said no to a Kickstarter, though.

Thanks! There's a compliment in there somewhere! (hey! Is "ShopDrop&Retro" intentional!?!)

Kidding. But thank you for seeing that there's a unique viewpoint to my videos, that's what I try to aim for. While I enjoy some "talking head" videos I think there are interesting things happening in the periphery that are harder to notice but very interesting. This is how I would want to make the documentary as well.

And yeah, if I can make this documentary, there will be no Kickstarter. Like I've said before- I'm a complete, bare-foot, digital hippie. I think information should be free, so my ultimate goal would be to publish it at no cost to the viewer. I'll eat the expense because the story is worth telling.

I think you're talking about this video of his

I watched it yesterday and it was really good. He does seem to have some documentary-fu under his belt. The Kickstarter part of it was basically a joke, but would add to the meta of this cluster.

A documentary about this is harder than anyone realizes because you can't make it a chronological retelling of what happened, that would be too boring. While I and many on this forum find this topic endlessly fascinating, you have to remember that we're in the minority. People like CPUWIZ make up 95% of the gaming population who think this topic is boring as hell and a waste of time. But I listen to him and I do think his input is one of the best contributions to this thread. CPUWIZ is my muse because I would have to figure out how to make this story interesting to people like him.

So it can't be just about AtariAge and how it affected us here, it has to have a wider social perspective. I have a lot of ideas for how to do this, I won't spill everything but here's a sneak preview. I'd like to answer one of my biggest questions: what would actually happen if you went to a real-deal, established, top-tier, downtown L.A. advertising agency and get an analysis of what it would take to turn the Retro VGS into a success of OUYA-like proportions? In their opinion, was success ever even possible?? Would they immediately toss me out the door like I was DJ Jazzy Jeff? I would hope that I could find an agency to donate their time as experts in this field but for now it's just one of many other ideas.

• Like 11

I just finished watching Lester's video. There is so much wrong with it, I would share my observations :

Pulling his Retro VGS video, he gives it pouty "its my video and I'll do what I want with it" response. While it is his video, by taking it down he suggests that the real reason he took it down is because it made him look like an infomercial host to MK. It looks like he put that video up as clickbait considering how quickly it followed the end of the disastrous Indiegoogo campaign. Considering the pie-in-the-sky nature of the Retro VGS at that point, I would see why some people would start to question his integrity.

The constant vacillating between apology, defending MK in the "we haven't heard his side of the story" and attacking Pat Contri does make the apology seem insincere. Its practically a non-apology, as in "I apologize for trying to make money with Mike Kennedy and being the target of haters because of it."

"Don't judge on photos". I believe most people who have followed the Coleco Chameleon development are satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that MK put a SNES mini in the Jaguar shell at the Toy Fair and put the DVR card in the clear shell. Is anyone going to make an important decision in their life, like spending $150 on the Coleco Chameleon where they have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that the seller has shown a fraudulent prototypes on two occasions? If you believe the Coleco Chameleon has any chance of being funded at this point, I have a beautiful bridge to sell you.

Amazing rambling going on in this video. In one breath he calls MK a liar but in the next he says that it does not make sense that all member of the CC team are in on the fix. Makes me wonder whether he has strong convictions about anything.

"There are two sides to the story." When you are accused of lying to the public, there are many things you can do. You can defend yourself, you can attack your attackers, you can go silent. MK done these things, but the one thing he has not proven that he has real prototypes. Lester seems to feel like his own brother was attacked.

Such emnity toward Pat the NES Punk, it takes up almost half the video. I wonder if there is more behind it than just being "indirectly" called out. Maybe there is some envy because he has more subscribers. Perhaps Pat is a better communicator, a more engaging personality and does not speak in either mumbles or a monotone. I doubt Pan and Ian are going to go to his next Expo, attendance overall might be a bit off from prior years. Finally, what is going on with the lumberjack beard?

• Like 18

I just caught up on the last couple of pages, and I can't get too riled up over all the YouTube rivalries, but I must say that I also can't muster up much sympathy for Gamester81. People were complaining about the sycophantic nature of his interview with Mike at the time it happened, too; he's still getting heat for it because it looks even worse in retrospect.

Hopefully we can move on to something more interesting.

• Like 6

I just finished watching Lester's video. There is so much wrong with it, I would share my observations :

Pulling his Retro VGS video, he gives it pouty "its my video and I'll do what I want with it" response. While it is his video, by taking it down he suggests that the real reason he took it down is because it made him look like an infomercial host to MK. It looks like he put that video up as clickbait considering how quickly it followed the end of the disastrous Indiegoogo campaign. Considering the pie-in-the-sky nature of the Retro VGS at that point, I would see why some people would start to question his integrity.

The constant vacillating between apology, defending MK in the "we haven't heard his side of the story" and attacking Pat Contri does make the apology seem insincere. Its practically a non-apology, as in "I apologize for trying to make money with Mike Kennedy and being the target of haters because of it."

"Don't judge on photos". I believe most people who have followed the Coleco Chameleon development are satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that MK put a SNES mini in the Jaguar shell at the Toy Fair and put the DVR card in the clear shell. Is anyone going to make an important decision in their life, like spending $150 on the Coleco Chameleon where they have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that the seller has shown a fraudulent prototypes on two occasions? If you believe the Coleco Chameleon has any chance of being funded at this point, I have a beautiful bridge to sell you.

Amazing rambling going on in this video. In one breath he calls MK a liar but in the next he says that it does not make sense that all member of the CC team are in on the fix. Makes me wonder whether he has strong convictions about anything.

"There are two sides to the story." When you are accused of lying to the public, there are many things you can do. You can defend yourself, you can attack your attackers, you can go silent. MK done these things, but the one thing he has not proven that he has real prototypes. Lester seems to feel like his own brother was attacked.

Such emnity toward Pat the NES Punk, it takes up almost half the video. I wonder if there is more behind it than just being "indirectly" called out. Maybe there is some envy because he has more subscribers. Perhaps Pat is a better communicator, a more engaging personality and does not speak in either mumbles or a monotone. I doubt Pan and Ian are going to go to his next Expo, attendance overall might be a bit off from prior years. Finally, what is going on with the lumberjack beard?

I don't know if that is one of the reasons, but I find Pat's videos much more interesting than Gamester's ones.

And i don't recall watching any infomercials in Pat's channel.

Edited by DFPT
  • Like 3

It be like saying I got a 5 GHz i7 on my desk, wait'll they see it! It's implied it will be used and not just for decoration.

Which kinda makes me ask, "what IS so special about the CC/RVGS"? What are these neo-retrogamers seeing in it? Help me to understand!

If I wanted to play a brand new game made in the style of super nintendo, where can I get this? Is there already an option available for this?

Do you have a link?

Inasmuch as I would like to hear what everyone says, two hours is awfully much for me. It's nothing personal. I do appreciate the work and candor.

I did skip around some: Like to the part where Eli says (~01:09:00) they were pulling out of the Chameleon and Mike starts using strong arm tactics--"You're just a guy that works from home" and "You're losing a chance for the most money you'll ever make in your life" types of things.

Interesting.

So before Kickstarter:

-No CollectorVision titles

-No Piko Interactive titles

-No Kickstarter video from BBT

-No prototype

Thanks for the summary. I'm glad I didn't wade into 70 minutes of nonsense to learn that.

• Like 1

If I wanted to play a brand new game made in the style of super nintendo, where can I get this? Is there already an option available for this?

Do you have a link?

I can download many retro style games to my ps4, for example.

And there is Steam also. And emulators...

What's the point of the CC? None. Just another hardly collectible item that nobody would use.

Edited by DFPT
  • Like 2