IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

That's still a prototype board; the fact that the Ouya project didn't manufacture it themselves is irrelevant. Boards like that one are designed specifically for rapid prototyping; they used it exactly as it was intended to be used.

Why are you bringing the Ouya prototype into this, anyway? Are you suggesting that there was some kind of "double standard" because Mike wasn't allowed on Kickstarter for not having a prototype? The Ouya's off-the-shelf development board, based on the same hardware they intended to use in the final product and running their own software, was a valid proof of concept. The RVGS/Chameleon "prototypes", on the other hand, amounted to nothing but a badly-disguised SNEZZZZZZZZZZ and hot air from Mike's lungs.

Clearly Ouya/kickstart don't know the difference.

A reference board is not a prototype board.

A reference board i'm guess is used to get an idea of what to R&D and get the software running.

Using a reference board in the launch video, making it look like a prototype is deceiving!

Implying the hardware had been R&D and designed.. which clearly at that early stage it didn't.. or they would have a real prototype.

Ouya was clearly a hardware project, so it had no prototype.. and yes that is double standards.

Love this... All the reasonable teirs get you generic crap like t-shirts and coffee mugs. You can't get the actual, advertised hardware for less than $2,000.

Granted, it doesn't even exist, but it's still a dense move.

I wonder how long it is going to take, until they crack down on joke postings.

Well there's intentional jokes and there's the other kind, which this seems to be. Check out the bio https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817113018/gamerarchive/creator_bio

Also, check out the video to see the controller prototype. It is something...

When I click on MyGamerArchive link, I got this:

attachicon.gifmygamerarchive.png

I would buy his domain.

Pay attention please, you forgot the part where you send them 26.5M$ first .... you just don't get it do you? :rolling:

About this project
What if I told you, you could access any video game, ever made, anytime? And then what if I told you, that you could store those games in multiple ways; including on a device that is the size of a credit card?

417e580235b05e89b8cafc530b42f9c307f92996

To be fair with the KS title of:

GamerArchive is a living breathing library for all past, present, and future video games. A gaming console for every game, ever made.

With that opening I really think they should offer in the tiers some game from the future, just to show it's all in good faith ..... after all they say it themselves:

As resources are made available, every avenue outlined in this projects description will be handily accomplished.

A reference board is not a prototype board.

A reference board i'm guess is used to get an idea of what to R&D and get the software running.

Yeah, and after you do all that, what do you have? A prototype!

Using a reference board in the launch video, making it look like a prototype is deceiving!

Implying the hardware had been R&D and designed.. which clearly at that early stage it didn't.. or they would have a real prototype.

SD&R points out below that Kickstarter's prototype rules were not yet in effect at the time of the Ouya campaign, but let's consider your assertion of a "double standard" as if they were.

You seem to be under the impression that a "real prototype" for a hardware product must be custom-designed hardware. Not necessarily so. The Ouya was built entirely out of existing technologies: the hardware was based on an NVIDIA Tegra 3 SoC, and the software was based on the Android platform. As I've said before, these are all well-understood, widely-used components that have already been proven to function well together in many other products. Anyone with any experience could get a clear picture in their mind of how the final Ouya system would work just by looking over the specs. All that the Ouya project had to prove was that they could provide a hardware and software stack that was functional and could deliver the performance and features that the final product needed. There was no reason to design custom hardware for that; the reference board already gave them everything they needed.

Contrast that with the Retro VGS, which was a total departure from the way that anyone with any console design experience has ever approached the creation of a new product. Mike and Co. didn't have any track record whatsoever in that space, they had nobody on their "team" with the necessary expertise, and when pressed for specifics, they consistently provided hyperbole instead. The burden of proof was much higher for them, and that's why prototype hardware was more essential to a valid proof of concept than it was for the Ouya.

Or, to put it more simply, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." There was nothing particularly extraordinary about the Ouya from an engineering standpoint, but there was plenty that was extraordinary—even outlandish—about the Retro VGS. They failed to provide any evidence that the idea would work or that they could successfully execute it. Being allowed to raise money on Kickstarter instead of IndieGoGo wouldn't have changed any of that.

Ouya was clearly a hardware project, so it had no prototype.. and yes that is double standards.

I know you're one of the few cheerleaders and apologists that Mike has left, but give it up already. You're implying that Mike is a failure only because mean old Kickstarter played favorites and wouldn't give him a chance. After the RVGS fiasco, the "Coleco Chameleon" was his big chance to prove himself, and he completely and totally blew it. It was nothing but empty apologies and vague promises to "do it right this time," followed by an attempt at willful deception that was so inept and embarrassing that he is now an irredeemable laughingstock in front of the entire world. Mike has nobody to blame for any of this except himself—no, not even "The Mysterious Mr. Lee"—and he's long since run out of chances.

• Like 5

There is no double standard. OUYA launched in July 2012 and those prototype rules you claim a double standard on enforcing didn't exist until September 2012. So OUYA didn't even need to have any sort of prototype at all but they still chose to show off what they were currently running on. They gave an abundance of information in the absence of prototype rules.

Mike already tried the whole 'OUYA had no prototype' argument and it was one of the most enjoyable moments in the whole shit show. I like how OUYA showed something but since it doesn't fit Mike's definition of a prototype he took that as permission to show nothing. Retro Land logic is the best logic. Especially his meme-worthy response "We're lightyears ahead of them!"

I reported it. Experienced or not, this is a cash grab fueled by a wing and a prayer.

Hopefully I can finish my video before it's pulled. I've been following this project. I too wonder if the guy is just trolling, but his responses don't seem to be aimed at inside joking or triggering the people he's interacting with. I think he is genuine, if he's joking it's a lame joke anyways.

• Like 5

Hopefully I can finish my video before it's pulled. I've been following this project. I too wonder if the guy is just trolling, but his responses don't seem to be aimed at inside joking or triggering the people he's interacting with.

No they do not. They seem quite like a much grander and (more inept?) MK

Those other 'ventures' listed seem to prove that out. Anyhow I posted it after being pointed to it earlier and finding it rather fitting to the already unbelievable history of the Retro Land dream/scam/theme :P

• Like 2

$26,500,000 goal .... Are you serious?!

This can't be serious, or Kickstarter really needs to crack down on ridiculous projects. Ludicrous claims aside, to meet that goal they would need to sell 13000 of those miracle machines.

Future claims aside (and ignoring Xbox and PS3) it's just an overpriced PC with emulators.

Edited by Newsdee