IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Seriously. If the line was crossed, that was when someone stuck an SNES in a Jaguar Shell and called that an FPGA emulator. If it's wrong to to say that's fucked up, maybe I don't belong here. Maybe this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt, while other users here have to be scrutinized for their oppinions. What a damned joke.

I think it's fine to call it as you see it.

Things could possibly change over the next couple of weeks, but at this point, they have virtually nothing to show, besides a shiny shell, that is worthy of spending any money on. People should be wary of spending any money up-front on this for several reasons, including that the project seems to be (if the toy show reports are true) only about 5% complete (+/- 5%).

• Like 5

Has anyone seen this: http://ece545.com/S16/reports/F10_SNES.pdf

I don't know how old it is, but it's a report on a school project where some MIT students were trying to do what Mike claims to do now, make a SNES FPGA Core.

They couldn't get it to work but not for lack of trying:

I spent a solid 60 hours in lab over Thanksgiving break working on the Cartridge-CPU interface and getting a response from the controllers. I spent the last week of classes in lab debugging the CPU-PPU interface, which did not end up being enough time to complete the integration.

Third, a good lesson we learned is that if something looks easy, it probably isn't, especially if there is no documentation.

Interesting stuff. This stuff takes effort, and Mike seems to have less of that than even money to be honest.

• Like 6

Seriously. If the line was crossed, that was when someone stuck an SNES in a Jaguar Shell and called that an FPGA emulator. If it's wrong to to say that's fucked up, maybe I don't belong here. Maybe this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt, while other users here have to be scrutinized for their oppinions. What a damned joke.

It's not wrong to comment that it's fucked up. What's wrong is going above and beyond that on a crusade to make sure the project fails, and stating your intentions to do so on a public forum. They've already leveraged getting this discussion shut down twice before with legal threats. I'm sure it'll get shut down again when it comes time to find their scapegoats without your helping the process along.

You've gone and already identified who is going to be a victim of Mike's possible future misdeeds -- and are using these straw men in the here and now to rally people to get their torches and pitchforks. All over some trade show hocus-pocus.

edited to add:

I've said this before but there's no way in hell this is ever going to finish its Kickstarter unless they set the threshold levels so ridiculously low that it gets funded after the first ten people pledge. Mike and his own antics (and also general ignorance of how crowdfunding and Kickstarter in particular work) will kill the project faster and more cleanly than your call to arms ever could hope to achieve. Self-limiting behaviour, but don't be surprised if we go to round three with a new tie-in partner.

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 2

As expected twitter comment:

Great three days at Toy Fair talking with gamers, retailers and some developers. pic.twitter.com/U7q9inb5Su

EDIT:
Has anybody noticed that since Piko showed up the only board the RVGS team let plugged-in seems to be that one (my speculation due to the naked PCB nature of it).
No more (alleged) SD2SNES+Jag shell+tape in any follow up video/pictures or else [not that there were many, mind you] ..... I wonder why is that?
[I am not saying Piko is involved in any way, I am postulating that any longer exposure of their "tape proto cart" would have caused more involuntary blunders.]

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I don't know how old it is, but it's a report on a school project where some MIT students were trying to do what Mike claims to do now, make a SNES FPGA Core.

Interesting stuff. This stuff takes effort, and Mike seems to have less of that than even money to be honest.

My takeaway was that those kids needed more time with their professor. :D

• Like 2

Has anybody noticed that since Piko showed up the only board the RVGS team let plugged-in seems to be that one (my speculation due to the naked PCB nature of it).

No more (alleged) SD2SNES+Jag shell+tape in any follow up video/pictures or else [not that there were many, mind you] ..... I wonder why is that?

It looks more like a prototype than a finished Jag cart (from the front), and removes the risk of someone seeing the SD2SNES by looking around the back. It also has the advantage that there's no danger of anyone bringing up the SD2SNES menu, e.g. by accidentally kicking the SNES Mini's power brick and rebooting it. Another benefit is making the Coleco Chameleon look more legit by showing off that they have partners in this endeavour.

Edited by galax

Getting back on track, I think what is really "interesting" about this now is that, although it's VERY likely that we were correct in the SNES Mini assessment (see? we are SPECULATING on the hardware), that Mike doubled down with the idea that they somehow wrote an FPGA core for the SNES that the machine at Toyfair was using. If we are correct (and I see no reason that we aren't), this departs "getting something ready for Toyfair" territory and goes right into flat out falsehood.

As Kevtris said half a year ago, you can't just go to the core store and pick up a core.

Why would anyone one, on either side (consumer or business partner) want to get on board with this? Piko, I'm still a bit stunned that you're on board. Some how this whole thing gets shadier and shadier.

Rob, I do take your points that we aren't here to protect people, nor are we here to round up a posse or anything like that... but I disagree somewhat. If you were going to buy a some far fetched pig in a poke and I knew about it, I would like to think that I would try to tell you. Or anybody.

That's largely how I feel about this project; when I see Mike out there perpetuating falsehoods and untruths, it makes me want to go out and debunk (debuff?) them. I don't see this as some kind of internet vigilante justice or an attempt to scuttle Mike or anything like that... it's simply letting people know what's going on, so they can be fully informed. You are right, of course, that there is little point in preaching to the converted, and you are also probably right that this thing will never be funded, anyway.

• Like 11

Actually that board was brought to the show out of pure luck lol. I saw at the last minute that lootcrate was going to be there so I took a snes and a nes game to pitch them. When I saw the console acting up and based of what their hardqare guy told me over the phone, I told them to plug it in and it should work. I was actually surprised the console mapped the menu correctly as it uses a custom mapper, so if it is indeed the snes part fpga is working, At the beginning of the chameleon I thought snes was going to be Arm based (wouldnt have mapped that board).

Again, Ill be posting more details on KS day.

• Like 2

Now instead of just AA'ers knowing there was a SNES mini in that shell, this upcoming emergency drunken podcast is gonna ensure 100 000+ views worth of bad publicity for Mike. I hope it's worth it to him. He could have simply proved his innocence instead.

Great. Now Mike and Chris Cardillo (Coleco branding guy) will be able to boast "Our demonstration at the New York Toy Fair generated hundreds of thousands of new impressions on social media!"

Actually that board was brought to the show out of pure luck lol. I saw at the last minute that lootcrate was going to be there so I took a snes and a nes game to pitch them. When I saw the console acting up and based of what their hardqare guy told me over the phone, I told them to plug it in and it should work. I was actually surprised the console mapped the menu correctly as it uses a custom mapper, so if it is indeed the snes part fpga is working, At the beginning of the chameleon I thought snes was going to be Arm based (wouldnt have mapped that board).

Again, Ill be posting more details on KS day.

... I know it is implied already by how you phrased it, I am just making it obvious: ".... or a real SNES for that matter" ;-)

But I understand the "suspension of disbelief" applied at this stage. If after-all it turns out Mike has the only working SNES FPGA core on the planet it would be big news.

EDIT: when I say "big news" I mean it in a retro-videogame-fan kind of way.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 4

I have nothing against Piko for trying to get their products on board to try and gain new customers at all. I think that's totally fine.

The people at Piko are probably good people and are probably being misled by Mike in one way or another. It's the exact thing that everyone in this thread is hoping everyone with even the slightest interest in backing this project know that while it's a cool dream, don't be the good guy who gets sucked into this mess and lose your hard earned money.

The RVGS/Chameleon debacle is so much of a perfect storm of everything, that's why I can't look away. Just when you think it can't get any crazier, it does. Just when you think it could be on an upswing, there's still no prototype. Someone mentioned before how this is like reality TV and it's exactly that. If it was a corporation just completely blowing it, it wouldn't be as engrossing of a story. Factor in the detective work of people smarter than you figuring out what these parts actually are and catching them in the act, it might as well be some nerdy A&E reality show. Then, when you factor in these guys are more than willing to take money from crowdfunding, it opens up a whole other can of moral worms. Plus, it all has to do with video games, something we're all passionate about. It amounts to a pretty compelling little tale.

After totally blowing the Toy Fair, we get the same old "just wait until the KS" spiel again? And then when the KS launches, you're going to have another chain reaction of either positive (heh... I doubt it) or negative feedback. It's almost like the Chameleon guys are some mad screenwriting geniuses carefully pulling the viewing audience along and building and building and building.

• Like 6

Also, I'm only going to say this once. I know some of you feel strongly with regards to how Mike and company are handling themselves. You are free to express your opinions and facts on the subject, but I ask that you do so respectfully. Stating, "I decided I'll make Mike Kennedy's life hell, because in My Religion killing Mike Kennedy will save all the children in Africa", even in jest, goes over the line. Besides being unnecessarily mean-spirited, it is easily taken out of context, and not everyone will understand the attempt at humor.

We're talking about video game consoles here, so let's try to keep this discussion in context.

Thank you,

..Al

• Like 19

Holy crap! I didn't expected for them to raise the price so much for BBS only. Is it only one game or they have other RPGs on it?

I venture you're not getting 35US$ out of it ;-)

EDIT:

From the KS #3 it seems the only difference is BBS, the rest is the same, but they/we don't know the pack -in game, it is apparently TBD (like last time).

They also clarified that games can be added separately at KS time, exactly like last time.

[see what I am doing here :-o ]

EDIT2: given your lootcrate reference earlier I already know the answer

Edited by phoenixdownita

This guy spent 8 months implementing an FPGA SNES on a $600 Altera DE2 Cyclone IV - impressed even experienced hardware engineers, but got as far as "There is a timing issue, it will only run a few games yet."

Another good data point to compare with the Coleco Chameleon that is such a close implementation of a SNES that it effortlessly runs new cartridges first time.

Edited by galax
  • Like 7

This guy spent 8 months implementing an FPGA SNES on a $600 Altera DE2 Cyclone IV - impressed even experienced hardware engineers, but got as far as "There is a timing issue, it will only run a few games yet."

Another good data point to compare with the Coleco Chameleon that is such a close implementation of a SNES that it effortlessly runs new cartridges first time.

I posted it twice but the original material is here:

http://pgate1.at-ninja.jp/SNES_on_FPGA/

or via Google translate:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://pgate1.at-ninja.jp/SNES_on_FPGA

8 months you say ..... he started in 2005/05 fiddling with SNES on a FPGA (so yeah 8 months and 10Y from end to end)

from his notes:

2005/05 ~ emulate creation start

Edited by phoenixdownita

I posted it twice but the original material is here:

That link is in the video description, but I was more interested in the comments on that page by other hardware people, and the problems he was having supporting all games, in the light of Piko's recent surprise that the Coleco Chameleon ran his cartridge first time. Looking through his development notes since 2013, he seems to be adding support for and fixing bugs with games one at a time. To build something like this and have the first version able to support untested cartridges out of the box would be miraculous.

8 months you say ..... he started in 2005/05 fiddling with SNES on a FPGA (so yeah 8 months and 10Y from end to end)

from his notes:

2005/05 ~ emulate creation start

No, 8 months he says.

from his comments on the video:

Took 2 months to software emulator, and took 8 months to CPU and PPU hardware emulator on an FPGA.

Edited by galax