IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Honestly it makes sense for them to be at a toy show and not a video game convention. You saw how fast we smelled a SNES Mini and SD2SNES here in this thread without even setting foot in their booth. Imagine the backlash they would have gotten at PAX or E3 (lol, just imagine mike at E3). I mean they're not lying about it having a FPGA, the SD2SNES has a fpga in it after all.

However, Piko's post was a little bit dispelling for me. Why? Because I trust Eli and his company - they're great people. Collectorvision seems to be pretty adamant about it being so awesome too. Would I give them the benefit of the doubt? Yes. Do I give the Chameleon team it? No.

Someone isn't telling the truth here. For all I know, both Piko and Collectorvision have been paid off by the CC team to say the things they've posted. At the end of the day they're both businesses and businesses need money to survive. However, this is the kind of situation that can destroy businesses. Customer trust is everything and if you're misleading the customer because you've been paid off to or because you've been lied its your fault regardless of which. Everything you've worked so hard to build up can be destroyed from something like this. Obviously it's a risk you're both willing to take, because if this console is legitimate then you've been part of the gold mine from day one.

Pretty sure I read something about false prophets some where before. I hope for all parties involved in the Chameleon are ready for whatever unfolds come the end of the month.

Oh, no, no , no not paid, ( I actually invested into going to NY and seeing the console, and not been able to see the insides was disappointing) and I'm actually not under NDA nor Contract unlike Collectorvision. I'm just trying to be as professional as possible; there are more details I left out on the blog post just to not be a person that craps on another company's KS . But as I mentioned there are things to be addressed.

• Like 5

Tier 3:

Kickstarter Reward #3 $185: RPG LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + pack-in game + Piko Interactive's Battle Brave Saga game. All games purchased as a part of this Kickstarter campaign will come in an exclusive campaign only cartridge color never to be produced again.

Look for the next Kickstarter Reward tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM PT, 10:00 AM ET.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean. I think it's anyone's duty as a citizen to Report scams and such. Also not to make fun of disabled People.

You've not only decided he's disabled you've also appointed yourself his protector. Over a game console that doesn't yet exist and likely never will.

Perspective time here. Mike's schemes seem to be mostly self-limiting. The last crowdfunding campaign went so spectacularly bad and garnerd a lot of attention in gaming circles I'm almost positive there are jokers deliberately fanning the flames and being obtuse just because of it's entertainment value. If these blind 'rah-rah' supporters of Mike are on the level then they've got far bigger problems than wasting their money on game console scams -- problems well out of your reach and influence.

When I hear people in this community talking about how Mike's scamming makes classic game collectors look bad to the outside world I'm tempted to hold up the funhouse mirror to their faces and point out they look just as foolish arguing about things of 'earth shattering importance' in their isolated corner of the playground.

• Like 7

I'm assuming the pack-in game has to be a compilation of Colecovision stuff when other games are being announced as rewards.

The irony is if you go for the RPG bundle, it will cost you $50 more than the early bird tier. A total rip off to any backer. Unless Mike is charging $50 a game here.

• Like 1

When I hear people in this community talking about how Mike's scamming makes classic game collectors look bad to the outside world I'm tempted to hold up the funhouse mirror to their faces and point out they look just as foolish arguing about things of 'earth shattering importance' in their isolated corner of the playground.

While I agree about the "self-limiting" nature of Mike's enterprises, I'm not so sure about minimizing damage to the community. Just as people think "all mobile games are free to play crap," and "everything EA makes is overpriced DLC," it doesn't seem like too far a stretch to have some people perceive retro land as nothing but scammy ripoff artists.

I'm conflicted about whether or not it would be a good thing for a widely read blog like Kotaku to cover this mess. My heart wants to see "justice served," but my brain thinks it would be fine for this to run its natural course, quietly, in our little forgotten niche.

• Like 4

How his he getting around the idea that Kickstarter frowns upon using other people's products as part of his rewards?

From Kickstarter: All rewards must have been produced or designed by the project or one of its creators — no reselling things from elsewhere.

Is it the idea that "COLECO" is producing the carts, so it's okay?

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 1

How his he getting around the idea that Kickstarter frowns upon using other people's products as part of his rewards?

From Kickstarter: All rewards must have been produced or designed by the project or one of its creators — no reselling things from elsewhere.[/size]

http://media.fyre.co/sI2Zg7PQTbGjCwejiKoQ_post-25179-you-can-do-it-gif-Waterboy-Img-JC2V.gif

I'm assuming the pack-in game has to be a compilation of Colecovision stuff when other games are being announced as rewards.

The irony is if you go for the RPG bundle, it will cost you $50 more than the early bird tier. A total rip off to any backer. Unless Mike is charging $50 a game here.

Mike mentioned separate ColecoVision and Intellivision bundles, so it's still possible that Sydney Hunter is the pack-in.

From Kickstarter: All rewards must have been produced or designed by the project or one of its creators — no reselling things from elsewhere.

Since the Coleco Chameleon team is likely responsible for building the carts, the games would be something they designed and produced.

From Kickstarter: All rewards must have been produced or designed by the project or one of its creators no reselling things from elsewhere. [/size]

I don't think Kickstarter is going to disqualify projects based on technicalities like that. There are plenty of successful projects that include a Raspberry Pi in addition to "bring your own Raspberry Pi" tiers. The RVGS offering is ok in that regard, no one will be able to buy CC games in the open market. I consider that a product weakness, but it's good for the sellers.
  • Like 1

You've not only decided he's disabled you've also appointed yourself his protector. Over a game console that doesn't yet exist and likely never will.

I don't see a Problem with that. I don't go around the world trying to save the weak and innocent. But if I happen to see something ridiculous going on I will certainly try to alert People about it to avoid anyone having Problems with that.

As for the whole talk about Video games being unimportant and all that crap. Sorry. That just doesn't stick with me. 90% of what moves the world is pretty much as useless as Videogames are. A lot of it is more damaging. I know very few People who wouldn't be complete hypocrites if they ever say Videogames are a waste of time as compared to Major activities in their lives.

BTW, I just want to say something. If you ever look at someone and Think that Person must be crazy or retarded, you know what? There's a big Chance they are either mentally challenged or suffering from some Kind of psychologic/neurologic disorder. These People are totally out there, and they are very likely to be atracted to certain things, get fixated on them. And yes, they obviously have a huge tendency of being easily ripped off. For obvious reasons.

Edited by leods
  • Like 2

Well after reading 52 pages of this topic, I just wonder....why if they had clear cases on hand....did they not use that for the prototype that was on display? It would have alleviated many of the concerns about what is actually inside the unit. I can't imagine it is good for his KS campaign to have negative threads like this out there to find, so why not just take the 5 minutes, crack the case and make a quick video showing everything working and that it is not a dev cart and SNES Jr?

1422507_792544784148127_5684972356986216

Well after reading 52 pages of this topic, I just wonder....why if they had clear cases on hand....did they not use that for the prototype that was on display? It would have alleviated many of the concerns about what is actually inside the unit. I can't imagine it is good for his KS campaign to have negative threads like this out there to find, so why not just take the 5 minutes, crack the case and make a quick video showing everything working and that it is not a dev cart and SNES Jr?

Stop making sense, that's not how the RVGS team works, never have, never hasn’t, never had have hasn’t.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I do not believe that one of the ColecoVision compilation carts will be a pack-in with the console as Mike recently said he wants to make USB CV controllers for them to bundle or something. It is beyond silly even for RVGS to sell games you cannot play because there is no controller for them.

Or so i assume... you never know.

Are you attacking me for some reason? I have no Idea why you'd do that. Why am I fixated in this?

I havn't counted your posts in the thread but I bet it's > 100, thus fixated. I'm not intending to attack you. Your post about "killing" the project to protect these people you believe can't take care of them selves just rubbed me the wrong way. You have basically said that anyone who supports this project can't make a rational decision. It's quite presumptuous of you.

• Like 3

Some ideas:

1) Overly-concerned over IP theft, just like with the RVGS campaign.

2) The board is cobbled together and just wouldn't look nice in a transparent case.

3) It's a SNES mini. Shh!

4) You're a drunken mudslinger who probably hates bunnies.

• Like 4

Well after reading 52 pages of this topic, I just wonder....why if they had clear cases on hand....did they not use that for the prototype that was on display?

He wouldn't do that again as last time we worked out exactly what was under there (although we worked it out anyway even with the black Jaguar shell so maybe he should have just given up and gone with 'clear').

Some ideas:

1) Overly-concerned over IP theft, just like with the RVGS campaign.

2) The board is cobbled together and just wouldn't look nice in a transparent case.

As I'm sure you know they had no 'IP', just an off the shelf dev board running sample 'hello world' code provided by the manufacturer, and a few random bits and pieces scattered around the table to make things look high tech. I could believe the cobbled together story more if we couldn't see the SNES Mini video and power connectors - it would be more believable if the wires just disappeared into the case.

Edited by galax
  • Like 4

Sounds like you and this project. Totally fixated.

I will happily admit that i am quite a bit fixated by this, i keep checking this thread at least once a day to follow up on the latest drama and scandals.

Not too remote from a reality show really, with Mike and his console as the shows feature stars.

• Like 1

Happy for PikoInteractive but:

Kickstarter Reward #3 $185: RPG LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + pack-in game + Piko Interactive's Battle Brave Saga game. All games purchased as a part of this Kickstarter campaign will come in an exclusive campaign only cartridge color never to be produced again.

Look for the next Kickstarter Reward tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM PT, 10:00 AM ET.

I'd call it the Coleco Chameleon "it's that it?" Edition
I know Mike is applying Marketing 101 with the crescendo of useless attaboy rewards, special colors, and assorted nonsense (they made TShirts so I see that coming in at some Tier
Coleco Chameleon "you were living bare-chested, we can fix that" Edition) but it seems more ridiculous than last time .... seriously one Tier announcement a day towards the more and more expensive Editions (Coleco Chameleon "Kitchen Sink" Edition anyone?)

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1