IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

If you could capture some screen shots of where you saw them and post it, that would be great.

https://youtu.be/Kz7SgnQexJI?t=245

Already at Minute 4:05, there's a shadow/blurb in the ctrl where the Nintendo logo ought to be but I can't make anything out of it.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Mike might not make the best decisions, he's not that stupid. He knew they couldn't pass off Nintendo branded controllers. I'm fairly certain these are the controllers he was using at the booth:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-Generic-Classic-Controller/dp/B0009KKVVE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1455596856&sr=1-2&keywords=snes+controller

You are probably right. I also double checked and he did say they are third party controllers. I didn't hear it the first time because I kind of block out anything he says.

No doubt. I really do hope that Mike pulls a [bunny] out of his hat. I really do. I will call him personally and apologize for ever doubting him and post it on YouTube with a link here so all can see.

Because the world needs more bunnies... :grin:

EDIT: AtariAge deleted the cute bunny emoji :sad:

http://apps.timwhitlock.info/unicode/inspect?s=%F0%9F%90%B0

%F0%9F%90%B0

The controller on the left is a Super NES Mini controller. The one on the right is a regular Super NES controller. In that video it appears to have Super NES Mini controllers plugged in because you can slightly see the engraved Nintendo logo in some of the frames. So, I guess he brought his whole Super NES Mini set minus the case.

maxresdefault.jpg

I once bought a SNES 2 controller new in the box in the mid 2000s when I first got my SNES. Years later I learned it was a fake from a thread posted on Nintendoage. They copied the box, Nintendo logo engraved on the controller, and everything. I still have the box, and the controller works well (still much better than the Yobo crap they sell at GameXChange), but feels slightly less solid than the SNES 1 controllers I have, and the color of the circle plastic trim around the buttons is slightly off.

They're not originals. The D-Pad is thick and bows out, which is very common on cheaply made SNES replacement controllers.

rvgs_021416_controllers.png

What he got was one of these deals on ebay. Notice how his AC adapter also has more than one output and how the RCA plug is black, not dark grey like the original stuff.

• Like 6

What he got was one of these deals on ebay. Notice how his AC adapter also has more than one output and how the RCA plug is black, not dark grey like the original stuff.

Imagine having the fragile and only prototype of an FPGA running their SNES core, and powering it off a $5 no-name wall wart. At least John Carlsen would have got that right ;)

Edited by galax
  • Like 11

Imagine having the fragile and only prototype of an FPGA running their SNES core, and powering it off a $5 no-name wall wart. At least John Carlsen would have got that right ;)

The real system won't even need a power supply. They're going to have a 'power core' created for the magical FPGA (they talk about it as if it could cure cancer with the right core), completely replacing the need for any additional cables.

• Like 2

They're not originals. The D-Pad is thick and bows out, which is very common on cheaply made SNES replacement controllers.

rvgs_021416_controllers.png

I love how I made a mistake but it still helped bring something new to the table. That set matches perfectly with everything that is sticking out of the case.

The real system won't even need a power supply. They're going to have a 'power core' created for the magical FPGA (they talk about it as if it could cure cancer with the right core), completely replacing the need for any additional cables.

The Chameleon is powered by the tears of the haters and the SNES FPGA was created from the joy of their fanboys. I thought everyone knew that?

• Like 3

Right. The thing will use a plutonium radioisotope generator for electrical power and will be always on with no power switch, and never need a power adapter. It will weigh 75 pounds due to the heavy lead shielding and cost $150 grand because the cost of plutonium isotope is not cheap. The prototype will probably be the only made because it will bankrupt Mike and Co, and the US dept of energy will probably confiscate it. There will be enough isotope for the SNES clone to run continuously for about 87 years, provided the user does not succumb to radiation sickness. The carts will also cost $500 a piece because radiation-hardened flash memory is expensive.

All this because Mike did not want to invest in a $5 power brick. :P

Yes, one sad aspect of this new, 'non-ferrari' RVGS is that its power supply will no longer require a two man lift to unpack.

Rest in peace, Ferrari power supply.

Heaven has another angel.

9nSxHjB.jpg

• Like 8

The thing will use a plutonium radioisotope generator for electrical power and will be always on and never need a power adaptor. It will weigh 50 pounds due to the heavy lead shielding and cost $150 grand because the cost of plutonium isotope is not cheap. All this because Mike did not want to invest in a $5 power brick. The prototype will probably be the only made because it will bankrupt Mike and Co, and there is enough isotope for the SNES clone to run continuously for about 87 years, provided the user does not succumb to radiation sickness. The carts will also cost $250 a piece because radiation-hardened flash memory is not cheap.

They're not going to use zero-point energy? How primitive. The breakaway civilization would not approve.

• Like 1

http://www.johncarlsen.name/ (again, same John Carlsen)

Curiously, he lists that he worked on RVGS *and* Coleco Chameleon (like they are two separate entities). Even curiousier, the date of his Facebook announcement that he was no longer involved in this project predates the announcement of the Chameleon by a couple of months.

I imagine that, in the highly unlikely event that the Chameleon makes it out there and generates revenue, he'd then work to calw in some of that for himself. There must be at least some work of his that makes it into the Chameleon even if he had already left by that time.

Having read some of his blog-style posts in the past where he details the legal battles he's had, and given the way he was launched bus-ward by MK, if CC does ever get off the ground there could yet be all kinds more drama to witness.

• Like 2

I really did like what UK Mike said recently over on the RGR thread about this -- and I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him here:

No. Not at all.

I have seen dozens of Facebook comments deleted. I don't remember seeing one directed at any People.

My quoted post refers to posts on out forum, not Facebook.

Someone earlier said that the way we worked here it was like RVGS was taking on the Borg from Star Trek.

So i guess you just got assimilated. Welcome.

Resistance is futile and all your thoughts and dreams now belong to the collective. We are one.

Welcome, and please don't think the rest of this forum is at all like these rvgs threads. Have a browse around. Outside of here, AtariAge is a great source for all things retro, and a good bit of modern too. It's a great community that has built up around playing, collecting and making games on 30+ years worth of game systems.

I guess what I'm saying is that we do a lot more here than just rag on RVGS.

Thanks for the welcome!! I'll definitely have a look around. I have certainly been inspired to go back to some of my older games. SNES is my main jam, so maybe I am the target audience for the Coleco Chameleon? lol

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure he's taking the piss here. Pure parody. The numerous jump edits, the sweater vest, the tie, the inability to actually look at the camera, use of the word 'debuff' instead of 'debunk'.

He's making fun of the many self-styled armchair online gaming journalists who decide they can make a career out of this and never have to leave their parents basement (where their collection is). Droning on and on about gaming like a sports commentator because gaming is 'srs biznss'.

Edited by rob_ocelot

double debuff. you guys just did not understand what he was saying

I was nice to him on his comment section. I think he must be disabled to a certain extent, so I don't think there's much Point in actually arguing. This just makes me more sure we Need to kill this Project, because this is the Kind of People the RVGS is preying upon. This and People who never heard of this at all, they just see on Facebook there is this new cartridge based console, and they like it and post some random positive comment just because. Many of those might not ever go back to it, never care to even look at the Kickstarter etc..

So yeah. As Long as this doesn't take off, These People won't have to suffer.

I know some People can get incredibly irritating, but a lot of the hardcore defenders of this System seem to have quite serious issues.

• Like 1

I was nice to him on his comment section. I think he must be disabled to a certain extent, so I don't think there's much Point in actually arguing. This just makes me more sure we Need to kill this Project, because this is the Kind of People the RVGS is preying upon. This and People who never heard of this at all, they just see on Facebook there is this new cartridge based console, and they like it and post some random positive comment just because. Many of those might not ever go back to it, never care to even look at the Kickstarter etc..

I know some People can get incredibly irritating, but a lot of the hardcore defenders of this System seem to have quite serious issues.

I know there is no point in arguing. i was not trying to start an argument with him. I just found it amusing. dont really care what he is saying really. since he just pretty much repeated the same stuff he did in his 1st video, i thought id link him here. :) im sure he wont really be able to look at the evidence and see how blatantly obvious as the why the "rumor" is not a rumor.

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 1

You know you sound like a nut job, right?
  • Like 2