IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

No, 8 months he says.

from his comments on the video:

That's after he spent almost 8 years with a DE1 board to figure out it needed a DE2-115. But that is unimportant to the point.

I am just pointing out that 8 months it's just for him to port his own stuff over to a new board and keep working on it, NOT the time it would take to anyone from scratch.

(kevtris forecasted 4 to 6 months, true but given he's not on the current fellowship I'd take his number as the lowest possible).

Maybe Mike contracted the guy ... who knows :roll: ... actually even him mentions the Chameleon:

https://twitter.com/pgate1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/pgate1/with_replies

Can someone do a better translation job than google translate?

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

That's after he spent almost 8 years with a DE1 board to figure out it needed a DE2-115. But that is unimportant to the point.

The video comment was made in 2013, when he was still using the DE1 - he seemed to switch to the DE2 in 2014. It took him "8 months" (calendar time or development time?) to get to the point where he could support a few games in 2013. The whole effort has been a multi-year one, it's a huge undertaking.

Edited by galax

Piko was hinting that no ARM emulator supports his custom mapper for the menu .... so that's why I asked, but you seem to suggest that hurdle has been long overcome in the SW emu land.

Where's keatah, he will know for sure.

NO$SNES supports it though. but BBS doesn't use it. The mapper is for SNES multicarts.

Edited by PikoInteractive

Maybe Mike contracted the guy ... who knows :roll: ... actually even him mentions the Chameleon:

https://twitter.com/pgate1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/pgate1/with_replies

Can someone do a better translation job than google translate?

His last 2 tweets do look interesting, would love to get a better-than-Google translation:

どっかの掲示板で「ヤツのSNES FPGAはフェイクか本物か賭けようぜ」ってなってる
Has become me, "Let 's bet either fake or genuine guy of SNES FPGA" somewhere in the bulletin board
その掲示板でColeco ChameleonにFPGAが使われててSNESもサポするみたいな感じで書かれてるみたいだけどどうなの(流し読み
In its bulletin board Coleco Chameleon in the FPGA-used it has SNES also what about the But like it is written in felt like a to support (flow reading

Edited by galax
  • Like 1

I guess Mike thinks all of these things happen in a vacuum, huh? No one will figure out what we used to run the Chameleon during Toyfair. No one can prove we didn't write the first viable SNES core for FPGA.

Today's world is too wired up, too connected and moves too fast for this chicanery to go unnoticed.

I think a lot of the vitriol over the system (and the man, himself) stems from the fact that he seems to think a number of the people he wants to sell to are stupid... he thinks it's easy to pull the wool over our eyes.

• Like 9

The truth is though, he does seem to have a lot of supporters that are going to throw money at him no matter what cause they belive in the retro land idea. Most of them do not seem like they are too bright. Whether or not there are enough of them to fund the console remains to be seen.

Edited by mickcris

I'm not an FPGA person myself, but, I know some work was done with that SNES core tying it to an external clock. Not sure if he's having trouble by not tying it to one, but, I've heard that it's running quite well now. I should ask him if that info is from him or from someone he's let it out to.
Still, SNES Is just complicated.

This guy spent 8 months implementing an FPGA SNES on a $600 Altera DE2 Cyclone IV - impressed even experienced hardware engineers, but got as far as "There is a timing issue, it will only run a few games yet."

Another good data point to compare with the Coleco Chameleon that is such a close implementation of a SNES that it effortlessly runs new cartridges first time.

A news site has some pics from the booth. Pretty funny that they have like 5 pics in a row of the console behind the case. Gotta love the build quality on the controller's left analog stick, I wonder if it's transmittable.

rvgs_021616_controller_crop.jpg

And we have a new team member to welcome!

rvgs_021616_booth2_crop.jpg

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned, Chris Cardillo was there. I still don't know who the guy on the right is.

rvgs_021616_booth3_crop.png

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 1

No. But, there are certainly more subversive and interesting ways to proceed.
The problem is, Mike can spend this money on... say, Mental Health Clinics for himself, or, i don't know the guy, but, another guy recently posted to his failed kickstarter that he spent all of the money on a vacation, booze, drugs and Prostitutes, so, yeah, if you give money to this thing, looking at it's current state, just realize, you have no right to your money back, lol. You can donate $200 and then spend how much in lawyers fees trying to get $200 back? LOL> If it shows up on a retail shelf, i'll grab one, no problem.

It is an interesting read. That's why I read it. But when someone suggests intentionally interfereing to kill a project because they THINK it is going to fail, its going overboard

I do agree to the Mentally Challenged part. Totally. Here's pictures, here's info. OH I STILL WANT ONE!!! .. good luck to ya!

Yeah. I just have some vague negative Feelings towards the Project, so I decided I'll make Mike Kennedy's life hell, because in My Religion killing Mike Kennedy will save all the children in Africa.

But I expressed myself wrong. I have to admit. I don't want to, nor can I Kill this Project. I just think that if People know what's going on this will automatically kill the Project, because it's that ridiculous. So I, like many other People here and on other media put the Information out there, so People can make an informed purchase. This wouldn't be necessary if the responsible for the Project were transparent at all.

edit: And I do believe someone who knows the full Story has to be mentally challenged to donate to this Kickstarter...

Absolutely. That's like me showing off video of Mario Brothers and telling people that it's my concept for my new game Adventure In The Underworld of Pipes that I'll be showing you when my Kickstarter campaign begins!

Seriously. If the line was crossed, that was when someone stuck an SNES in a Jaguar Shell and called that an FPGA emulator. If it's wrong to to say that's fucked up, maybe I don't belong here. Maybe this guy deserves the benefit of the doubt, while other users here have to be scrutinized for their oppinions. What a damned joke.

• Like 1

Yeah, let the KS start first, then, well, do as you will.

Still, you have to be a bit confused that a system is using a SNES connector?

Like, owned and patent by Nintendo Probably?

Just seems terribly odd.

Oh, no, no , no not paid, ( I actually invested into going to NY and seeing the console, and not been able to see the insides was disappointing) and I'm actually not under NDA nor Contract unlike Collectorvision. I'm just trying to be as professional as possible; there are more details I left out on the blog post just to not be a person that craps on another company's KS . But as I mentioned there are things to be addressed.

Still, you have to be a bit confused that a system is using a SNES connector?

Like, owned and patent by Nintendo Probably?

Just seems terribly odd.

Doubly weird when you consider an actual SNES cartridge won't fit in that Jaguar cartridge slot unless you remove the cart PCB from its plastic shell. Kind of defeats the point of using the SNES edge connector if you can't use real SNES cartridges without first destroying the cartridge- the very thing Mike thinks is so important to be preserved.

Doubly weird when you consider an actual SNES cartridge won't fit in that Jaguar cartridge slot unless you remove the cart PCB from its plastic shell. Kind of defeats the point of using the SNES edge connector if you can't use real SNES cartridges without first destroying the cartridge- the very thing Mike thinks is so important to be preserved.

It's okay to destroy SNES carts for the cause of the Chameleon.

A news site has some pics from the booth. Pretty funny that they have like 5 pics in a row of the console behind the case. Gotta love the build quality on the controller's left analog stick, I wonder if it's transmittable.

rvgs_021616_controller_crop.jpg

I'd think it'd be kind of hard to play with all of those wires in the way.

Also, I think they should use the Jag molds to make Chameleon shells out of chocolate. If it was good chocolate, I'd buy one.

Oh! And the power light could be a jelly bean!

Now I actually want one.

Or maybe I just want chocolate.

• Like 8

And we have a new team member to welcome!

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned, Chris Cardillo was there. I still don't know who the guy on the right is.

rvgs_021616_booth3_crop.png

So is the Toy Show set up similarly to how E3 used to be where they had that really low end hall under the main halls where the odd thirty party vendors used to set up? You know, the ones with mind control accessories or really obscure Eastern European games that likely will never see a US release? This booth appears to be in a corner in a very sketchy looking group of no-name vendors.

NO$SNES supports it though. but BBS doesn't use it. The mapper is for SNES multicarts.

I see, so your cart was a multi cart, the menu in question is the game selection menu that uses the "special" mapper and not any BBS in game menu and as you stated BBS does not use the special mapper at all, thanks.

So it is still plausible that it could be ARM emu + small FPGA to map the SENS cart pins .

EDIT: wait isn't BBS a Genny title? Here we were talking about the SNES game you played at the Fair. Does that have a special mapper?

Edited by phoenixdownita

The truth is though, he does seem to have a lot of supporters that are going to throw money at him no matter what cause they belive in the retro land idea. Most of them do not seem like they are too bright. Whether or not there are enough of them to fund the console remains to be seen.

I've been thinking about this. Honestly, I believe even with all the tomfoolery that has been going on that the Chameleon could still get funded.

Now as crazy as that sounds, if the KS campaign is only for say 150k - 250k it would only take about 2k or so backers at the various levels to make this thing happen. Will it really be that low of a goal? If this is just going to be for building the system and not funding a business start up, renting office space, paying waves to a full management staff and other nonsense then maybe we could see a funding goal that low.

With the system looking to be roughly half the price of the previous attempt, I would wonder then if the KS goal is going to be roughly half of last time. If the goal is say only even 1M then I don't think it will be successful. With the lower price, there may be enough people who don't know much about the system that are willing to make an impulse purchase, to make this thing happen if the funding goal is in the right range.

I'm curious what others think the funding goal for the KS will be?

So far the release information about the backer rewards don't seem to appealing to me outside the first one. The rest don't feel like they are adding value, but rather an attempt at creating collectibles. We won't know until we see the actual campaign what the add on items will be and how much games will cost but I could at least see a thousand people easily buying into this and buying every released game add on from the KS.

Also, I feel like the video gaming community for the most part is very well informed on things like this, so i really think it is going to be more of casual gamer, impulse buy, hipster, kind of consumer who is going to be the ones buying this thing up.

I could be wrong on all of this. It's all speculation but I'm curious what others think.

A news site has some pics from the booth.

According to that site:

"The system includes the controller seen in the gallery above. It also sports four USB ports up front, the ability to plug in a USB keyboard, and video outputs that support everything from HDMI, RCA, to 9-pin Mini-DIN."

You don't say, now there's a USB keyboard as well .....

Edited by phoenixdownita

According to that site:

"The system includes the controller seen in the gallery above. It also sports four USB ports up front, the ability to plug in a USB keyboard, and video outputs that support everything from HDMI, RCA, to 9-pin Mini-DIN."

You don't say, now there's a USB keyboard as well .....

And we are almost full circle to where this fiasco started as the retroVGS... Apparently the idiot that did the article didn't look at the console closely. Even if this is for the production unit it will do nothing but drive up costs. No one has mentioned the fact that there is no Genesis core for FPGA either so BBS is also out of the question unless this is an ARM device running an emulator. If that's the case I'll keep using my Shield portable.