IGNORED

Jumpman hacking

Savetz

Rob of the Player/Missile podcast and I have been using his awesome Omnivore binary editor to reverse engineer Jumpman. We're slowly figuring things out, and writing a detailed document (26 pages and counting) that we will eventually release.

In the mean time, I thought I'd share some things.

Here are the three Mystery Maze levels with the mystery removed (screenshots and playable ATR files)

less mysterious.atrless mysterious 3.atrless mysterious 2.atr

post-803-0-94524800-1462421270_thumb.png

post-803-0-01799400-1462421272_thumb.png

post-803-0-13845100-1462421273_thumb.png

• Like 8

We went with the ATR image because of problems with Atari800MacX. I used the kboot header to turn an XEX into an ATR, so if you strip off the first 3 sectors, you'll get an XEX.

I'm also working on writing my own boot loader to replace the kboot header because I can't figure out, and it's given me problems, too.

Edited by playermissile

Well done Kevin, Jumpman is one of the games that sometimes gets overlooked because of the simple graphics yet there's a devil of a game underneath, in fact I have 3 games I still play on a weekly basis, Jumpman, Spelunker and Fractulas.

Can this be used with Jumpman Jr. as well? I've always wondered how many variations there are for Blackout (I think two, but who knows?)

Jumpman Jr. uses a level descriptor which is kind of similar but seems optimized to save space. And all the memory locations are different.

So the answer for now is that Rob and I intend to go down that rabbit hole, but that's a project for the future. We'll also mulling the possibility of porting the levels that were unique to the C64. By "we" I mean Rob, because I can't code :)

-Kevin

Wow, nice work! This is one of my favorite games of all time.

I have to ask, does anyone have a trick for using the far left "up" rope in the first Mystery Maze screenshot? I die every time I try to use it [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi.

Here's the first new Jumpman level in 33 years.

-Kevin

After losing a man I had the ring appear in the gap right of the first platform and couldn't reach it. After you are out you can't restart?

I'm enjoying playing these, you know everyone is hoping we on for a new game one day :)

After losing a man I had the ring appear in the gap right of the first platform and couldn't reach it. After you are out you can't restart?

I'm enjoying playing these, you know everyone is hoping we on for a new game one day :)

The second bomb can be reached.

But you're correct, it's currently not possible to restart the level once you're out of lives. Rob is working on fixing that in the level tester.

Kevin

Edited by Savetz
  • Like 1

Good to hear you guys are reverse-engineering the original. I've been thinking about porting an Atari 8-bit game to the TRS-80 Coco3, and Jumpman was a definite candidate. A commented disassembly might just seal the deal! ;)

I think it's great that you guys are making some new levels for Jumpman! I LOVED this game back in the day. I think because it was kind of "plain" looking, and didn't have any cool background music playing throughout, that it didn't get the love it deserved. But as far as the old style platforming type games, it was one of the best to play, in my opinion. Mostly because it was somewhat forgiving, and fair....you didn't always have to hit the platform pixel-perfect. If you landed near the edge, Jumpman would just smoothly walk up onto the girder. Great game.

Haven't played it lately, but I'd like to throw out one request/suggestion. Any chance you could hack a version where you could select the starting level? From what I recall, you could choose beginner, which starts on level 1, intermediate which starts on level (9?), or expert which starts on level (20-ish?). I always wanted to just be able to select whichever level I wanted to play (and I hang my head in shame if there was always a way to do this, but I never figured it out!).

• Like 2

Haven't played it lately, but I'd like to throw out one request/suggestion. Any chance you could hack a version where you could select the starting level? From what I recall, you could choose beginner, which starts on level 1, intermediate which starts on level (9?), or expert which starts on level (20-ish?). I always wanted to just be able to select whichever level I wanted to play (and I hang my head in shame if there was always a way to do this, but I never figured it out!).

Funny you should ask... This week, Kevin and I will release a version of the game that will allow you to practice any level. I've just got to finish up the code for the new menu, and it will be ready to go.

• Like 3

I have no problem using that rope.

I figured out the problem... I was performing the jump onto the rope and then not moving the joystick. It looks like you have to move right onto the rope once you land on it or you fall.