IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

My first car was a '76 Buick Century... 2nd was a '78 T-bird like yours, but white! :lol:

I had a pal with a Buick Regal from around the same time. Part of the R in the name emblem had broken off, so we called it the Pegal.

Released in Japan too

What's with the telescoping antenna? Did it plug into the TV, or transmit the game wirelessly?

What's with the telescoping antenna? Did it plug into the TV, or transmit the game wirelessly?

Probably NTSC-J RF, which happens to fall right smack in the middle of the FM band on US radio. 88-94Mhz for NTSC-J channel 1 and 94-100Mhz for NTSC-J channel 2. US Cable ready TV please tune channels 96-96 with rabbit ears and pray to the Lord there aren't strong FM stations in the area broadcasting on 93.7Mhz and 99.7Mhz, or really anything between 88-94 or 94-100Mhz.

In my area, 93.7 (KXKS Kiss Country) is a country station and 99.7 (KMJJ Jams) is hip hop, so that little device wouldn't work too well in my house and the audio would be whatever was playing on the radio. I'm sure either of those two stations would drown out any and all audio feed emitted from that pea shooter, or even a classic Famicom with all but the most pristine RF cable.

Tanooki you got strong FM stations in your town? Lemme know how that RF whip antenna goes... :P

• Like 1

1.5 Million "Worldwide"...To me that kind of begs the question, "How many did they sell in the U.S.?"

I mean our Wal-Mart got 6! And I think I heard Target got 12. I don't know the numbers for K-Mart or Gamestop, etc.

If we were to compare this to the chaos of the Playstation 2 launch, which was the first time I remember seeing a whole bunch of people waiting outside in freezing temperatures overnight; For PS2s: our Wal Mart got 25 units, Target got 36, and Circuit City got 28 and KayBee Toys got 12 if memory serves. And those were considered quite rare at the time...

GL, it's a big world. There are

6300 Walmarts

1800 Targets

1900 Best Buys

6600 Gamestops

Even if every one of these only got one small shipment (and I'd bet many got more than that), that's half a million right there.

No argument there. I just wondered what the numbers were. All of the articles I found simply said 196,000 in the U.S. in November. Some of the articles were from December and I'm guessing they got the numbers from a Nintendo (Earnings) report...Sources like CNBC and Forbes...

It just made me curious...

...and the number of resellers is staggering. Not just eBay either... Craigslist, Amazon, local paper, etc. Haven't seen so many ambitiously "entrepreneurial" people go nuts for something since Beanie Babies! Was looking at some eBay listings last night and you see some have stacks and stacks of these things. Even the little guys seem have at least 2-3 units "in hand" and ready for delivery. Almost all are unabashed to send along the original receipt showing what they paid too. Unprecedented phenomenon what Nintendo has set up for these types.

This guy has limited quantities left, but has sold 251 so far. WTH?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Mini-Classic-Edition-Console-w-30x-Games-/142176987371?hash=item211a68a8eb:g:MEUAAOSw44BYRd90

Here's another guy with a giant stack of 'em:

post-13896-0-91793500-1486224235_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132085251330?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I take great pleasure in clicking on the auctions that accept Best Offers, and offering $45. I know I won't get it, but if you're going to be a douchenozzle and sit on three of these so you can quadruple your money, I'm going to give you an annoying lowball.

• Like 3

I take great pleasure in clicking on the auctions that accept Best Offers, and offering $45. I know I won't get it, but if you're going to be a douchenozzle and sit on three of these so you can quadruple your money, I'm going to give you an annoying lowball.

If I bother I offer the msrp and in the comments I say since retail is this and its a modern new item I'll pay you retail and that's it. I did this twice on a local gaming board which a few found amusing since I was first to rub their nose in it adding it being part of a local community you shouldn't hammer people.

I kinda like the way a certain commenter on the site thinks:

Riven a day ago

Have to agree with this piece if Nintendo instead of these rebuilt clone unit. Re-issued an updated NES with added in HDMI support it would sell like hot cakes and open up the market to new retail NES games. The same could be done for the SNES and N64, the idea of that is far more interesting to be than even the Nintendo Switch.

Too bad it is unlikely to ever happen though. With "boutique" options like the AVS or jailbroken Analogue NT Mini, I see nothing but good things to come, and probably already better than whatever Nintendo could pipe out in today's market.

Nintendo has zero interest currently in selling systems to play vintage hardware, when they need to make all the money they can on selling modern tech. Maybe this will change someday if homebrew collecting goes mainstream, but i somehow doubt it. Currently new classic games is a niche within a niche.

• Like 2

...and the number of resellers is staggering. Not just eBay either... Craigslist, Amazon, local paper, etc. Haven't seen so many ambitiously "entrepreneurial" people go nuts for something since Beanie Babies! Was looking at some eBay listings last night and you see some have stacks and stacks of these things. Even the little guys seem have at least 2-3 units "in hand" and ready for delivery. Almost all are unabashed to send along the original receipt showing what they paid too. Unprecedented phenomenon what Nintendo has set up for these types.

This guy has limited quantities left, but has sold 251 so far. WTH?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Mini-Classic-Edition-Console-w-30x-Games-/142176987371?hash=item211a68a8eb:g:MEUAAOSw44BYRd90

Here's another guy with a giant stack of 'em:

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132085251330?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now that's just being greedy. Almost certain they set up "bots" to order those units online. Also their sense of interior decor is deplorable... :roll:

If I bother I offer the msrp and in the comments I say since retail is this and its a modern new item I'll pay you retail and that's it. I did this twice on a local gaming board which a few found amusing since I was first to rub their nose in it adding it being part of a local community you shouldn't hammer people.

I offered $65 once (MSRP + tax) and got auto-rejected. :lolblue:

I got one the other day at the local target, looked online at brickseek and it said they had 4 I waited for them to open and sure enough they had 4. http://brickseek.com/online-stock-alerts/product/nintendo-nes-classic-edition/1/

When using brickseek I would check around 6am

I was just glad I didn't have to buy it at walmart. It was very easy to hack I put 120 games on it, the only downfall is the controller, the cord is too short and it lags a tiny bit so when you need that quick jump in SMB or that fast dodge against Tyson your not going to get it. With that said its a cool piece to have but Id rather play the real nes with an everdrive cart. http://krikzz.com/store/home/31-everdrive-n8-nes.html

Edited by Q*bertkid
  • Like 1

Now in Stock is more reliable, and more locations.

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/nesclassicmini/

I'm going to still have to disagree about lag. I think it's entirely the classic HDMI (or not) input lag issue you get with classic games designed for the rate a CRT puts out. You have to be under a certain personal threshold (though generally 30ms would do it or less) and you should be fine. Yes the cord is a bloody joke. I got an extension for mine the day it came out, but then a day later I found the EMIO gamepad they put out with the turbo button on it and it has a stock 9ft cord (same length as the NES one with the extension cords you can buy.) Problem worked itself out that way and got a nice guide with it too with all sorts of goofy junk in it.

The point is, it does matter, not all TVs are alike. I don't suffer the lag, and you in fact do, so I guess everyone's mileage will vary depending on their setup. I can create the lag easy enough. I just have to disable Game Mode and the few other processing features aside that get left on that I have flipped off. Then the games can get pretty unplayable. I'm not discounting your experience, just that it's not a blanket situation for everyone.

• Like 1

The point is it lags, where it comes from doesn't really matter. Its not 100% accurate which is a downfall for most gamers.

Well I looked through the manual and didn't see any required specs for a TV. I am curious as to what TV you have.

Buying a random big box store HDTV from any manufacturer that doesn't publish latency scores, for gaming purposes, is a literal crap shoot.

Exactly why I use a 1080p monitor, not an HDTV, for gaming. No overscan, no additional processing modes, no lag, no BS. Just note you'll have a hard time finding one bigger than 30" in 16:9 instead of the new fangled 64:27 aspect ratio that some industry ass clowns think is a good idea for gaming and/or productivity.