IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

On 10/20/2023 at 2:34 PM, Ryan Witmer said:

Well, I don't want to give away too much, but I have a three game plan right now.

1. Santa Claus

2. ???

3. Pinball game

We were discussing the pinball game.  I love pinball and I have a great idea for what I want to do.  It's away down the line though, and I've been taking a bit of break from 5200 stuff to deal with other nonsense, but I do hope to be back at it soon.

That Sounds very exciting and will go with great with your previous titles :)

image.thumb.jpeg.e04692f37b649e2fa322710f16d746a8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Capt. Bob:

Hello Again to our faithful and intrepid listeners! In this episode of the podcast, we venture into the Land of Meh. Tonight's deep dive we profile two of the most underrated games of the 5200 library. Super Breakout and Kaboom! by Activision. And when you start digging, you always find a bit of a surprise. And these games might have a little magic to them after all.

As always, we add the usual bit of mischief and jackassery that you've come to expect from the gang.

(Quick Note: Capt. Bob's sound quality is a bit off. The bandwidth at the hotel wasn't the best.)

You've played the Best. Now play the Rest! On tonights episode of The Atari 5200 Podcast!

https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/28574233/tdest_id/3161447?fbclid=IwAR0p1gqaRng0URxV7Wyt4r8to_MZxZYbyzextg0FfoPvOG3kjR8gWt-gpZk

• Thanks 2

Another great episode guys. I really like the 5200 version of Super Breakout (had me at the disolving bricks) and prefer to play it with the TB controller. I do have a modified 5200 JS controller that serves as a paddle and I also have the Atariguy1021 5200 masterplay clone that supports the 2600 paddles. I like that you led off with Asteroids and how that led to Super Breakout becoming the pack-in game. Asteroids is my favorite coin-op and I have Asteroids for all of my Atari consoles, including the Lynx. I have a custom cart and box for the 5200 version (see below). 

<Edit> Look forward to the next episode.🙂

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

• Like 2

Finally got a chance to listen to this.  I'm actually a really big fan of Super Breakout on the 5200.  It was one of the first games I played on the console and it just seemed so much better than the 2600 one I had at home.  Still love playing it from time to time.

As always, I maintain that Kaboom plays better with the 5200 sticks than it does with the 2600 paddles.  I may be alone on this, but I don't think anyone can change my mind.

Really looking forward to River Raid, since it's easily my favorite game on the 5200.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(David) Retro Games THE400 Mini pre-order. I had to get one. Maybe one day we will get an Atari 5200 Mini. Well one can always dream ;).

Now Retro Games and Atari have collaborated to create THE400 Mini. A half-sized version of the distinctively styled Atari 400, emulating the whole 8-bit Atari range from the 400 to the 800XL, and the Atari 5200 home console. Also included is a recreation of the classic Atari CX40 joystick, with an additional seven seamlessly integrated function buttons. Play one of the 25 built-in games, including: Lee, Berzerk, Millipede, Miner 2049er, M.U.L.E, Star Raiders II, and save your progress at any point in one of four save slots per game, or even pause and rewind gameplay to help you through the most difficult parts - a feature new to THE400 Mini.
with Four USB joystick ports 🙂
you are free to play content you own via a USB flash drive,

Play games you own via a USB flash drive with disk, cartridge and cassette ROMs compatibility

Here is a link if interested. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CRYXTL82?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

image.thumb.jpeg.271fcabd41acb09f2948808f9de8061f.jpeg

Edited by David Alexander

4 hours ago, David Alexander said:

Me too!  Thanks for the heads up!  Like you, I also have his 5200 Jaguar controller.

And you always assume I don’t like the 5200 when you mention Intellivisionaries… ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...