IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I would personally prefer more games to a bigger screen. Six games is comparable to Arcade1Up's countercades but historically Evercade has done better than them.

In theory, can't you just stick in two carts and double the capacity?

I've been tempted to get one of the Super Pockets if I find one on discount, if only to officially have access to Evercade carts.  The only real problem I still have is that while I sort of like the CONCEPT of older games being made available in compilations, I don't really like the price per game of Evercade releases, and I've seen little to no evidence they'd ever go on sale...

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I would personally prefer more games to a bigger screen. Six games is comparable to Arcade1Up's countercades but historically Evercade has done better than them.

The built-in games literally don't matter beyond choosing which edition you want. It can play over 500 games and counting via the cartridge ports and free games of the month.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

5 hours ago, DavidD said:

I've been tempted to get one of the Super Pockets if I find one on discount, if only to officially have access to Evercade carts.  The only real problem I still have is that while I sort of like the CONCEPT of older games being made available in compilations, I don't really like the price per game of Evercade releases, and I've seen little to no evidence they'd ever go on sale...

I have to disagree here. While I'm not saying you have to be insane like me and buy every single cartridge release ever, paying roughly $20 - $25 per cartridge with 2 to 20 games per (not counting unlockables when using two cartridges)), seems pretty darn reasonable to me, and is what makes it possible to purchase every single release. I keep an up-to-date list of games here to give some perspective: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctMo55yqSEHAIQYLdvQsK8iUXBtR5ck6ph6kzBxj_ak/

• Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 4:12 PM, wolfy62 said:

They are definitely going to make and sell them,though the price is unknown. 

I'd probably need at least 2 and maybe 3 for them to look right in my mini arcade. 

And I'd have to expand it also...

Screenshot_20240317_131659_Gallery.jpg

That's awesome!

Did you find a way to make it smell like old carpet and cigarette smoke to fully capture the authenticity? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I have to disagree here. While I'm not saying you have to be insane like me and buy every single cartridge release ever, paying roughly $20 - $25 per cartridge with 2 to 20 games per (not counting unlockables when using two cartridges)), seems pretty darn reasonable to me, and is what makes it possible to purchase every single release. I keep an up-to-date list of games here to give some perspective: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ctMo55yqSEHAIQYLdvQsK8iUXBtR5ck6ph6kzBxj_ak/

$20 for 15-20 games is my preferred price, and yes, some of the compilations do have that many... except those are, most often, the compilations of titles that have already been released in packages elsewhere for much better prices.  If I'm only trying to buy "new" (to me) old stuff, the more esoteric titles aren't always so favorably bundled... The Lynx bundles might have been nice, but they are out of print.

I might grab some eventually, but it will be more so that I can "officially" own a legal copy of something as opposed to playing it on a device.  (Unless I snag a cheap one of those Super Pockets some time...)

I was cleaning and found a MyArcade Data East Mini Player in my closet -- it was meant to be a Christmas gift, but never ended up being given away...

Were these the things that could be easily modified into fun little mini retro players, or is that wrong?  It looks like it has 34 arcade titles...

Well and enough of them are 1-3 games for $20 too if I remember right.

The only thing I think that could get me into an evercade again with the choices is that Capcom handheld with the core titles, from there I could see grabbing a few select carts like the Renovation one i never could source due to their crappy supply issues.  I did like the Namco carts, but because of childish licensing shenanigans they won't work, and the Technos aren't too enticing.  The Lynx I had them but after the initial ownership the fun ran dry real fast since they were somewhat B-tier pickings due to licensing which makes sense there.  I think some of the direct arcade vs console packs might be alright, but I long stopped paying close attention around the Renovation cart issue.

• 1 month later...

more in the mini style a couple of custom atari graphic versions of these from evercade.

https://www.hypermegatech.com/atari-edition/

The Super Pocket Atari Edition is a handheld gaming console that brings the golden era of video gaming right to your pocket. With 50 classic games from the legendary company, including, Asteroids, Missile Command, Berzerk, Crystal Castles along with games from the 2600, 5200, 7800 and the Atari Lynx!

atari-limited-edition-console-hmt.png

With only 2600 numbered units available, the Atari Super Pocket Special Edition is a collectible handheld that offers 50 games with a woodgrain design inspired by the classic Atari 2600.

atari-console-front-and-back.png

Atari-Inspired Colour Scheme

Preloaded Games
50 ATARI Classics

USB-C Charging
For fast charging. Cable included

Evercade Compatible
Over 45 cartridges with 500+ games

High Quality Screen
2.8” IPS Screen 320×240

Headphone Compatible
3.5mm jack socket

later

| || | | || 

ne gative 1

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://funstock.co.uk/products/hyper-mega-tech-atari-wood-grain-super-pocket-limited-edition?variant=41678430863449

Games Included

Asteroids (Arcade)
Berzerk (Arcade)
Canyon Bomber (Arcade)
Crystal Castles (Arcade)
Frenzy (Arcade)
Liberator (Arcade)
Lost Tomb (Arcade)
Millipede (Arcade)
Missile Command (Arcade)
Night Driver (Arcade)
Pong (Arcade)
Skydiver (Arcade)
Super Breakout (Arcade)

Adventure (2600)
Aquaventure (2600)
Dark Cavern (2600)
Gravitar (2600)
Haunted House (2600)
Radar Lock (2600)
Save Mary! (2600)
Solaris (2600)
Street Racer (2600)
Submarine Commander (2600)
Tempest (2600)
Video Pinball (2600)
Wizard (2600)
Yars' Revenge (2600)

Bounty Bob Strikes Back! (5200)
Countermeasure (5200)
Final Legacy (5200)
Miner 2049'er (5200)
Xari Arena (5200)

Alien Brigade (7800)
Asteroids (7800)
Centipede (7800)
Dark Chambers (7800)
Desert Falcon (7800)
Fatal Run (7800)
Food Fight (7800)
Ninja Golf (7800)
Motor Psycho (7800)

Basketbrawl (Lynx)
Checkered Flag (Lynx)
Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop (Lynx)
Kung Food (Lynx)
Robo-Squash (Lynx)
Scrapyard Dog (Lynx)
Super Asteroids & Missile Command (Lynx)
Turbo Sub (Lynx)
Warbirds (Lynx)

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

quarter arcades burgertime is next :

https://quarterarcades.com/products/quarter-arcades-burger-time

BurgerTime_QuarterArcades_QASet_PL_1_1800x1800.jpg?v=1721653469

+ Official Data East product: quarter scale wooden replica of the original BurgerTime arcade cabinet launched in 1982

+ Authentic replica including original side art, buttons, 4-way joystick, illuminated marquee and coin doors

+ Immerse yourself in the action - fully playable cabinet utilizing the original arcade game ROM running on a bespoke emulator

+ DIP switch access from the classical game ROM for various game settings to enhance your gaming experience

+ Saves high scores – compete against family and friends for the top spot!

+ Crafted with high-quality materials for durability and playability

+ 5”TFT screen

+ 3W built-in speaker with volume control

+ Powered via USB-C (cable included)

+ Equipped with an internal rechargeable lithium battery for true portability

+ Dimensions: Height: 17.4” (44cm) x Width 6.2” (15.8cm) x Depth 8.5

later

| ||  || 

n egative 1

17 minutes ago, negative1 said:

quarter arcades burgertime is next :

https://quarterarcades.com/products/quarter-arcades-burger-time

BurgerTime_QuarterArcades_QASet_PL_1_1800x1800.jpg?v=1721653469

BurgerTime is notoriously finicky to control of course. I wonder if in this case the tiny joystick will actually be to the game's benefit?

9 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

BurgerTime is notoriously finicky to control of course. I wonder if in this case the tiny joystick will actually be to the game's benefit?

They are using a 4 way joystick on this.

I'm not a fan of the game and not buying this, but the reviewers will definitely point it out.

later

|| | | |

ne gativ e1

other quarter arcade games announced : lunar lander, robocop, ghostbusters, pong, bad dudes vs ninja

elevator action : https://quarterarcades.com/products/elevator-action-quarter-arcade

ElevatorAction_Taito_QA_PL_1_1800x1800.jpg?v=1710498471

qix:

https://quarterarcades.com/products/qix-quarter-arcade

QIX_QA_1080x1080_c2a5fc7f-e5c5-45e3-b850-4710f1a14e61_1800x1800.jpg?v=1715238438

zoo keeper: https://quarterarcades.com/products/zoo-keeper-quarter-arcade

ZooKeeper_Taito_QA_PL_1_1800x1800.jpg?v=1710498483

interview with quarter arcade:

later

| | || | | |

ne gative 1

2 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I am consumed by jealousy.

haha...Well don't be too jealous.  The game later got stolen!  I'd had it by the vending machines in an apartment complex, (Which I used to live in)...*sigh*

• Sad 2

On 6/1/2024 at 9:21 PM, DavidD said:

I was cleaning and found a MyArcade Data East Mini Player in my closet -- it was meant to be a Christmas gift, but never ended up being given away...

Were these the things that could be easily modified into fun little mini retro players, or is that wrong?  It looks like it has 34 arcade titles...

Were you going to keep it or sell it? To the best of my knowledge, it can be hacked, although the information on how to do this isn't widespread. I have the Namco mini cab, and while it can be hacked, the internal hardware is weak, and it struggles with 16-bit games from the early 1990s.

2 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

Were you going to keep it or sell it? To the best of my knowledge, it can be hacked, although the information on how to do this isn't widespread. I have the Namco mini cab, and while it can be hacked, the internal hardware is weak, and it struggles with 16-bit games from the early 1990s.

I hadn't made up my mind, to be honest.  I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it... I have to compare the game list with what I already own, just to see if there were any "unusual" games on it.

On 7/28/2024 at 11:11 AM, GoldLeader said:

haha...Well don't be too jealous.  The game later got stolen!  I'd had it by the vending machines in an apartment complex, (Which I used to live in)...*sigh*

So, after talking with you I ordered the Myarcade Elevator Action unit- just to get some Elevator Action action. And their Space Invaders unit is great.  Was so pumped (liked the cabinet design) but then I played it, and… goddamn. Disappointed. I found out later it was the NES version? Ugh. My heart sank like an elevator filled with top secret documents.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

So, after talking with you I ordered the Myarcade Elevator Action unit- just to get some Elevator Action action. And their Space Invaders unit is great.  Was so pumped (liked the cabinet design) but then I played it, and… goddamn. Disappointed. I found out later it was the NES version? Ugh. My heart sank like an elevator filled with top secret documents.

most of myarcade units, except for the namco museum one, always use the NES roms.

only quarter arcade, and replicade - new wave toys uses real arcade roms, its evident from the description and pictures.

later

|| | || | |

ne gative 1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, negative1 said:

most of myarcade units, except for the namco museum one, always use the NES roms.

only quarter arcade, and replicade - new wave toys uses real arcade roms, its evident from the description and pictures.

later

|| | || | |

ne gative 1

Yes, now I’ve realized. The only one I had before was the Space Invaders unit and that one was awesome, so I assumed they were all like that.  I haven’t felt so ripped off since Marine Wars on the 2600.  I’ll certainly be more discerning in the future.

• Like 1

My arcade did 4 premiums of SF2CE, Space Invaders, later Contra, they're arcade releases.  The rest are as said, NES / NOAC hack/ports.  Basic Fun did something similar, but then started making unique releases to replace the NOAC stuff.

I've got a Data East mini arcade unit coming in the mail tomorrow. I've been really eager to play one of these, but how do you know which of these is the hackable version without the box? There are clues on the back of the box- the arrangement of the screenshots- but I don't think you can get that information from the system without connecting a USB cable and hoping for the best.

Also, I really, really wish you could replace the joystick with something good, because judging from past experience with MyArcade mini arcade cabinets, what's there is really really bad. Stiff, unyielding, less than responsive, and just absolutely miserable. There are industrial joysticks out there for around fifteen dollars, but I'm not sure if I can disconnect the wires from the original and connect them to that.