IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

4 hours ago, M-S said:

Does it look like this homebrew?

I wonder if they could make mini cabinets for more advanced games by using something like a Mega Drive on a chip.

It is this version by PacManPlus, as I keep repeating:

Who is “they”? Coleco are releasing a Genesis-on-a-chip game, Top Gear aka Top Racer, alongside Berzerk and Frenzy. New Wave Toys is already using a relatively powerful emulation package that is very faithful to the real arcade games.

• Like 2

MyArcade and New wave toys are the only two companies still relasing mini cabinets like that, right? I thought Coleco had a partnership with one of them to make the cabinets, not that they were releasing it on their own. What I was wondering was if PacManPlus was part of that "Parisoft Games" that made the first port of Berzerk to NES, they look very similar, but looking at it side by side I can see they are not the same game. It's uncommon to see companies hiring homebrew developers for official releases nowadays.

2 hours ago, M-S said:

It's uncommon to see companies hiring homebrew developers for official releases nowadays.

uncommon, its being going on for quite some time now.

there are lots of atgames atari compilations with homebrews on them.

later

|| | | ||| 

ne gative 1

Edited by negative1

9 hours ago, BrianC said:

The Parisoft Berzerk is a different port, closer to the arcade in some ways with most of the voices intact and more accurate sound effects. It's also a very nice version of the game. 

It's a bit mind-boggling in this day and age that something that's a newly created version (not just a ROM dump) of a 1980 arcade game can't be 100% feature complete. I mean, I get the "why?" from a technical standpoint, but it's still disappointing. Unless you're a big fan of that specific form factor, the New Wave Toys version seems far and away the superior investment, especially with the discount code.

On 8/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

It's a bit mind-boggling in this day and age that something that's a newly created version (not just a ROM dump) of a 1980 arcade game can't be 100% feature complete. I mean, I get the "why?" from a technical standpoint, but it's still disappointing. Unless you're a big fan of that specific form factor, the New Wave Toys version seems far and away the superior investment, especially with the discount code.

I don't know why the Coleco tabletop version needs mapper 0 and limited ROM space and it's disappointing that they decided to split the ports when Pac-Man Plus's version has both Berzerk and Frenzy. The Parisoft version doesn't have this limitation but uses an odd UNROM mapper used only in one official game, Crazy Climber for Famicom. 

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

Isn’t the New Wave Toys version almost $200 shipped even with the coupon? They massively increased the price on it. And the cabinet doesn’t even look great. It is bound to come to Switch eventually.

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Isn’t the New Wave Toys version almost $200 shipped even with the coupon? They massively increased the price on it. And the cabinet doesn’t even look great. It is bound to come to Switch eventually.

I purchased the Berzerk/Frenzy combo deal for $283. shipped after applying the my Arcade 20% off code,so it's just a tad above $140. 

Per unit if you do it right and preorder them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I purchased the Berzerk/Frenzy combo deal for $283. shipped after applying the my Arcade 20% off code,so it's just a tad above $140. 

Per unit if you do it right and preorder them.

I am not buying two. I just did the code and it comes out to $160 shipped. Too much for me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I am not buying two. I just did the code and it comes out to $160 shipped. Too much for me.

The price has slowly but surely been rising the last couple years,and I definitely see many collectors unloading them.

I'm just literally out of space,so the ones I just ordered will stay boxed until I figure something out.

I get why many would pass on continuing to collect them,the novelty is wearing off.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I'd still argue that it's worth that price as a fully functional collectible, but yeah, that's definitely pushing it. (and as much as I wanted to get it, I too can't get any more of those, sadly) That's also one of the reasons why I didn't get the Numskull 1/4 scale Space Invaders arcade cabinet that's releasing soon. As much as it's an awesome collectible replica with the pepper's ghost effect, etc., there's no way I can justify paying north of $350.

• Like 1

I just remembered that I got a Neo Geo Mini a year or two ago... it's in my closet.

Was there ever a way to add more games/emulators to those things?

(Tied to that, the local 5 Below has a pile of those weird MyArcade Bad Dudes and Burgertime machines -- can anything interesting be done with those?)

7 hours ago, M-S said:

They already have an arcade perfect port of Frogger to the Genesis too. But Street Fighter II not using the arcade version is a bummer.

so what, get the other version with the arcade ROM (and updated to 1.1 to fix the control issues)

https://www.myarcadegaming.com/products/street-fighter-2-champion-edition

DGUNL-3283streetfighter_correct019_isoleft_1024x1024.png?v=1638572639

later

| ||   ||

ne gative 1

@DavidD I've had my desk buddy for years now (NGM) and for the longest time it was not hackable, or if you did it, it seemingly made the joystick or buttons foul up.  I did read about a year ago someone (may be the same person) did successfully hack the thing and added a better/more selection of MVS titles to it.  I don't know if it's risky or overly complicated but it was cracked.

@negative1 I had that SF2 that didn't work right, shame the new one is not the arcade, but how do you surely find out if you have the 1.1 vs 1.0 broken SF2CE?

• Like 1