IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

I have DOOM. A fun game with a cool arcade mode but a Switch must-have? I'm not sure.

It's just a personal preference thing for me. I'm a big fan of the Doom series and have played through all of the games therein (aside from SNES Doom and Doom 64, since I've never owned the systems they were on) except for the latest current gen game, but I haven't wanted to shell out the money for a Xbox One or PS4 just for that one game. I have always liked Nintendo handhelds though, so I could definitely be persuaded into buying a Switch if it ends up having the one current gen game that I'm really itching to play.

Edited by Jin

Just a hunch: we're not going to see DOOM 2016 on the Switch, or it would have been ported to mobile by now. It was on sale at half off almost immediately after launch, and doesn't seem to have taken off in a big way.

Counterlogic: if Bethesda is supporting the Switch, it makes sense for them to do it in a big way, with a fast shooter as well as whatever Elder Scrolls thing they're planning.

Of course, I know nothing and am talking out of my backside.

D-GLES works well on Nvidia Shield things, for what that's worth (similar hardware to Switch).

Just a hunch: we're not going to see DOOM 2016 on the Switch, or it would have been ported to mobile by now. It was on sale at half off almost immediately after launch, and doesn't seem to have taken off in a big way.

Counterlogic: if Bethesda is supporting the Switch, it makes sense for them to do it in a big way, with a fast shooter as well as whatever Elder Scrolls thing they're planning.

D-GLES works well on Nvidia Shield things, for what that's worth (similar hardware to Switch).

I think kids today are more into overwatch and black ops, even know our generation remembers Doom/Duke Nukem era as being ground breaking, to them they have no connection with that era

I saw the Nvidea shield thing today, might give the Switch a run for its money depending upon price/titles, but at least 2017 looks exciting games console wise, its nice to have new things as oppose to the usual xbox one/ps4

Edited by D.Daniels

I was referring to the new Doom, that came out on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 last year. Oh, my bad... apparently they spell the new one as "DOOM", with all caps for edginess or some such.

Yeah I think it's always been like that. My bad...

SNES_Doom_Box_Art.jpg

Also if anybody is interested, Duke Nukem finally got released on the Genesis in 2016 by Piko Interactive:

https://www.pikointeractive.com/store.html#!/Duke-Nukem-3D-Genesis/p/55798710/category=14008387

I think Bathesda were planning a port of Skyrim, but I could be mistaken. Being an open world adventure style game, I think it is a better fit for a Nintendo audience than another bloody FPS. Aside from Zelda Breath of the Wild, most announcements for 1st and 3rd party titles are being withheld until the January 16th announcement. Incidentally, this is also the day Gamestop begins accepting preorders. We should get a clean list of launch titles as well as any Switch SKUs and final pricing.

It's just a personal preference thing for me. I'm a big fan of the Doom series and have played through all of the games therein (aside from SNES Doom and Doom 64, since I've never owned the systems they were on) except for the latest current gen game, but I haven't wanted to shell out the money for a Xbox One or PS4 just for that one game. I have always liked Nintendo handhelds though, so I could definitely be persuaded into buying a Switch if it ends up having the one current gen game that I'm really itching to play.

Intellivision version? ;)

I think DOOM did just fine. Just about everything goes half-off shortly after launch these days.

Is what has been ported to mobile what we should go by to determine the chances of what 3rd party games the Switch may get?

I agree with you Schizophretard, but I think Flojomojo was also alluding to whether a game is popular enough for a dev to give it a multiple format release, and if a game is released on everything from Android to PS4 there's a fair chance it more likely get an easy money Switch release, however if the Nintendo Switch is reliant on Android/IOS releases its going down, Nintendo need dev's to see it as important and as exclusive as the PS4/XB1 market

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1

While I think it will be a natural for Switch to get some mobile games digitally, I think the major retail releases will definitely be ports found on Xbox One, PS4, and PC. It's just a question of how many of the latter and the quality. The Switch may have to pull a PS4 initially and sell well even without much content going for it if it's going to get the right type of third party content going forward.

I agree with you Schizophretard, but I think Flojomojo was also alluding to whether a game is popular enough for a dev to give it a multiple format release, and if a game is released on everything from Android to PS4 there's a fair chance it more likely get an easy money Switch release, however if the Nintendo Switch is reliant on Android/IOS releases its going down, Nintendo need dev's to see it as important and as exclusive as the PS4/XB1 market

This is one thing I was concerned about with the switch being ARM based. If multiplatform games get ported to mobile then to Switch, will developers use advanced shaders and lighting effects on par with what they used for the PS4/XB1 releases, or will they simply take the mobile codebase (nearly all mobile releases get watered down significantly so they will run on slower 4-year-old phones/tablets or cheap budget models) and simply tack on button controls, resulting in "ugly" big screen gaming experiences compared to Sony/MS, with a $60 price tag?

The same thing happened with Wii. Multiplatform titles that were already $30 or less by the time they hit Wii, got inferior PS2 ports with no online content, despite the fact the Wii had quite a bit more horsepower compared to PS2. And then the developers had the audacity to cry foul when nobody bought their games on Wii, after plutting bare minimum efforts to port it. :roll:

• Like 2

will developers use advanced shaders and lighting effects on par with what they used for the PS4/XB1 releases

those bells n whistles cost power

so what do you expect developers to do, optimize 2 versions of the same game for 1 system?

no, most likely they will go for at best middle of the road or at worst take nintendoh's que that people can not survive 1 freaking millisecond without their gamez

time will tell, but my money is on middle of the road, or to be more fair, upper end mobile ... which frankly looks pretty effing good as my phone is one of my main game consoles now, but its like ps2.75 (kind of like dreamcast was playstation 1.5) more akin of what I would have thought the last gen N system would have been

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

time will tell, but my money is on middle of the road, or to be more fair, upper end mobile ... which frankly looks pretty effing good as my phone is one of my main game consoles now

This is the main thing for me. My phone is my favorite games machine, and there are literally hundreds of great games on it that I love. Switch will have Zelda, some Elder Scrolls game, joysticks, and buttons. Will it do enough to justify me buying into yet another ecosystem?

I recognize that my genX, cash-rich but time-poor use case is not at all representative. I'm just talking about myself here. I hope Switch sells like gangbusters. And if it doesn't, I hope they can port things like Zelda to PS4 and mobile so I don't need any more superfluous hardware. :) Especially mobile, so I can have it in my pocket.

• Like 1

This is the main thing for me. My phone is my favorite games machine, and there are literally hundreds of great games on it that I love. Switch will have Zelda, some Elder Scrolls game, joysticks, and buttons. Will it do enough to justify me buying into yet another ecosystem?

I recognize that my genX, cash-rich but time-poor use case is not at all representative. I'm just talking about myself here. I hope Switch sells like gangbusters. And if it doesn't, I hope they can port things like Zelda to PS4 and mobile so I don't need any more superfluous hardware. :) Especially mobile, so I can have it in my pocket.

Do not forget that there is no standard "controller" for mobile devices, and traditional games like Super Mario or Zelda suck donkey when attempting to emulate Dpad a touch screen.

If Nintendo ever goes third party, I am sure they would not allow their flagship titles to be played on devices that lack a dedicated controlker system to allow them to be played properly. And Super Mario Run is hardly a "flagship game" compared to stuffs like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, 3D World, or Zelda BOTW.

Or do you prefer your games "dumbed down" so they're compatible with "tap and swipe" mechanics? My fear for Nintendo as a third party developer is software quality will falter without a dedicated hardware platform that they control. Then they'll be no better than Sega or whomever licenses out old Atari IP nowadays... :roll:

I am not interested in participating in an argument with you over the quality of touchscreen controls.

I think mobile offers different ways to do things than traditional buttons, joysticks, and D-pads. They're better in some ways, worse in others, just as game controllers offer a different experience as compared to keyboard and mouse controls, HOTAS flight controls, driving wheels and pedals, and so on. A Dual Shock 4 is a "dumbed down" KBM, a laptop trackpad is a "dumbed down" mouse or trackball, and an Atari joystick is a "dumbed down" flight stick. We all have our own preferences.

I'd totally be into a Zelda or Mario Kart game with native touch controls, and would vastly prefer it to being parked in front of a television.

This is one thing I was concerned about with the switch being ARM based. If multiplatform games get ported to mobile then to Switch, will developers use advanced shaders and lighting effects on par with what they used for the PS4/XB1 releases, or will they simply take the mobile codebase (nearly all mobile releases get watered down significantly so they will run on slower 4-year-old phones/tablets or cheap budget models) and simply tack on button controls, resulting in "ugly" big screen gaming experiences compared to Sony/MS, with a $60 price tag?

The same thing happened with Wii. Multiplatform titles that were already $30 or less by the time they hit Wii, got inferior PS2 ports with no online content, despite the fact the Wii had quite a bit more horsepower compared to PS2. And then the developers had the audacity to cry foul when nobody bought their games on Wii, after plutting bare minimum efforts to port it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Supposedly the Switch's Game Cards will have a standard size of 16GB but can go up from there if need be. But with mobile games since all of them have to be downloaded, are competing for the limited storage space of the average phone, are limited in size by how big the mobile stores will allow, caps on users' data plans, etc. the games are tiny. Therefore, I think it is more likely that multiplatform games from other consoles and PC's will get watered down to the Switch's specs and Game Cards but not so watered down that you are wondering why they are on Game Cards instead of in the eShop.

Do not forget that there is no standard "controller" for mobile devices, and traditional games like Super Mario or Zelda suck donkey when attempting to emulate Dpad a touch screen.

yea but there are controller standards, and there's very few games that wont work with one, even if the controller has to be put in mouse emulation mode, I do most my "mobile" gaming strapped to a TV and a bt controller

Supposedly the Switch's Game Cards will have a standard size of 16GB but can go up from there if need be. But with mobile games since all of them have to be downloaded, are competing for the limited storage space of the average phone, are limited in size by how big the mobile stores will allow, caps on users' data plans, etc. the games are tiny. Therefore, I think it is more likely that multiplatform games from other consoles and PC's will get watered down to the Switch's specs and Game Cards but not so watered down that you are wondering why they are on Game Cards instead of in the eShop.

very true, I really liked that point, I imagine for the first year or two we probably wont even notice the difference between any watered down Switch titles vs PC/PS4/Xbox1 unless your really really looking

Edited by D.Daniels

sorry posted twice by mistake and cant delete this post? :(

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1