IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

I'm glad it uses cartridges. It just feels better to me to actually own (as in, the right to play a game) a game instead of registering somewhere that you own a game.

I'm glad it used cartridges. It just feels better to me to actually own (as in, the right to play a game) a game instead of registering somewhere that you own a game.

Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

I'm glad it used cartridges. It just feels better to me to actually own (as in, the right to play a game) a game instead of registering somewhere that you own a game.

Maybe. We'll see what patches/check-ins will ultimately be required. It's still too early to say whether the game cartridges will truly be self-contained.

• Like 1

That thinking annoys the hell out of me. Greedy controls freaks came up with that. Imagine if the auto or housing industry went this way.

I've never understood that. If I buy a house, and resell it, the builder doesn't get a cut of the second sale. Nor does an auto maker get a cut of used car sales. Nor does a clothing manufacturer get a cut of Goodwill's action. Books, CDs, tapes, and any other media you can think of are resold without the original manufacturer getting a second cut. Why, exactly, does software have to play by different rules? What is so special about software that the industry thinks it can revamp basic property laws going back to the Twelve Tables?

That's the question I want answered. I see everything else as details.

• Like 3

Then there are those on the other end like myself that don't even consider intellectual property a legitimate form of property at all. So, I guess that makes AtariAge like Fox News, fair and balanced. :)

I like you.

Intellectual property, doesn't exist, it is a legal fiction that exists to encourage innovations in the arts and sciences to flow into the public domain.

• Like 1

Books, CDs, tapes, and any other media you can think of are resold without the original manufacturer getting a second cut.

I have actually seen a few (rare) examples where books were "licensed" or rented rather than sold outright. At the end of the term, the books were to be returned to the publisher for proper destruction. Such volumes are consequently very rare today.

I am talking about specialized business publications, such as the R. G. Dun credit reports (https://www.library.hbs.edu/content/download/46657/637343/version/1/file/Selective+list+of+D_B+bibliographical+sources_2016.pdf), not mass-market or popular titles.

If I buy a house, and resell it, the builder doesn't get a cut of the second sale.

There are some condominium developments that restrict the purchaser's right of resale of a unit; it has to be sold back to the original developer (or condo board) rather than placed on the open market.

I've never understood that. If I buy a house, and resell it, the builder doesn't get a cut of the second sale. Nor does an auto maker get a cut of used car sales. Nor does a clothing manufacturer get a cut of Goodwill's action. Books, CDs, tapes, and any other media you can think of are resold without the original manufacturer getting a second cut. Why, exactly, does software have to play by different rules? What is so special about software that the industry thinks it can revamp basic property laws going back to the Twelve Tables?

That's the question I want answered. I see everything else as details.

First sale doctrine does not apply to virtual goods it seems, and DCMA supports this notion. Ever read the TOS on PSN or XBLA or Nintendo eShop? Android or iOS/iTunes? It makes it very clear you are not purchasing the content, only a single, non-transferable license to use it on a single device, for as long as the content provider decides its service should exist. And they can revoke your license or terminate services at any time they like. Case in point, Amazon once deleted copies of George Orwell's 1984 off users' Kindles without their authorization or consent. Oh, the irony! The corporations own and control everything. You, as the consumer, basically have zero rights when it comes to what you can do with your their stuff. :razz:

• Like 2

Yes but... why? What makes software this unique and special product, different from all others in recorded history?

Lack of a physical medium. If an item only exists as bits on a hard drive, does it truly exist?

I can resell a book. I can resell a vinyl record. I can resell a DVD. I can resell an Atari game. I can resell a device. But how do I resell "digital content?"

I can't. :roll:

• Like 1

Lack of a physical medium. If an item only exists as bits on a hard drive, does it truly exist?

I can resell a book. I can resell a vinyl record. I can resell a DVD. I can resell an Atari game. I can resell a device. But how do I resell "digital content?"

I can't. :roll:

You can, but then you would be making an unauthorized copy (unless you sell your hard drive or the account the software is attached to).

This is why I don't purchase digital content with DRM, except for Steam, where I pay pennies on the dollar (thanks Humble Bundle!) and on the PC platform where if something goes fishy with the DRM I can easily obtain cracks for my purchased software.

Because they can, and because we let them. Business looks for new ways to make money, consumers decide to buy (or not). I vaguely remember 'limited use' DVDs that were good for five plays, then you had to renew the license or throw it away. They never caught on. For whatever reason, digital downloads caught on, and here we are- until some entrepreneur corners the market with cartridges.

• Like 2