IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

There was also this response from that thread:

From fox on 11/26/2011

This is a new discovery that AN2 affects mode 10 output. If AN2 doesn't get latched by the GTIA mode logic, we can alternate it every color cycle.

This is what made me wonder if we could somehow use the 160 pixel PM1/PF2 artifact generated from color %1000 in this mode under Sophia, to create a 160 pixel 256 color HAM style mode. Not sure if the CPU would be fast enough to drive it (unless you had a 65816) but by using solid color full width GTIA pixels where you need solid colors, it might be enough of a cheat for the CPU to get away with. Also of interest is how does this artifact behave when you use HSCROL on it?

I plan to use SOPHIA for RGB SCART output from my Atari 5200. I saw the pinouts given before. Are there any cables being made for this? For other consoles I have purchased from eBay seller retro_console_accessories. Thanks so much!

I heard back from retro_console_accessories!

"Yes I can, I have connectors for those but I've not got round to making a listing as yet, I keep getting sidetracked by other stuff. It should be appearing in the store soon though."

So I've installed mine, but I can't get a picture on an RGB SCART equipped TV (picture still coming through on Composite, so the GTIA is working, phew!). It could be my cable, but that looks like it's wired correctly. What should be jumpers be set to for RGB SCART?

So I've installed mine, but I can't get a picture on an RGB SCART equipped TV (picture still coming through on Composite, so the GTIA is working, phew!). It could be my cable, but that looks like it's wired correctly. What should be jumpers be set to for RGB SCART?

Both jumpers open. But the image should be present even if they are close. Have you some multimeter? Measure a voltage on the pin 16 SCART. Are you sure that your TV is equipped with RGB SCART? Not every SCART connector has a RGB inputs. Sometimes TV has a two SCARTs and only one has RGB.

• Like 1

Both jumpers open. But the image should be present even if they are close. Have you some multimeter? Measure a voltage on the pin 16 SCART. Are you sure that your TV is equipped with RGB SCART? Not every SCART connector has a RGB inputs. Sometimes TV has a two SCARTs and only one has RGB.

Okay re: Jumpers, that's what I had them as. I don't have a mutlimeter, well I do but it's packed up in a box somewhere. The TV SCART (Sony KDL-24EX320) is definitely able to handle RGB (it's in the manual and I've used it with a Gamecube with RGB and an Amiga with RGB). My guess is the cable I'm using isn't quite right. I'll take another look when I get a chance, I'm in the middle of fitting a new audio amplifier chip in the machine and sorting out it's iffy keyboard.

Anyone in the US willing offer service to install socket for the GTIA? My XEGS GTIA is not socketed and I don't want to risk running my XEGS.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you can't find anyone closer (I am in NE Ohio), shoot me a PM. Shipping would cost you more than I would charge to install the socket.

If you can't find anyone closer (I am in NE Ohio), shoot me a PM. Shipping would cost you more than I would charge to install the socket.

Thanks, I guess I'm mostly concerned about the cost to replace my XEGS if I did it myself and messed it up :) . I can do some basic soldering but removing the GTIA is out of my league.

Ely, make a few of hi-res photo with your cable. I'll look up and maybe find the problem.

You can make also a simple cable from pin4 (green) and pin2 (GND) of the DB9 connector to the chinch (RCA) connector and connect to the composite video input. With the RGB/YPbPR jumper close you should obtain a monochrome image.

I'm jealous (still waiting for mine to arrive :( ).

Between this and the UAV, I'll be sitting pretty as far as video goes :)

- Michael

I haven't got to install those yet either. I started modifying an 800XE but it now has a very intermittent (impossible to find) issue. So I can't even do that.

Ely, make a few of hi-res photo with your cable. I'll look up and maybe find the problem.

You can make also a simple cable from pin4 (green) and pin2 (GND) of the DB9 connector to the chinch (RCA) connector and connect to the composite video input. With the RGB/YPbPR jumper close you should obtain a monochrome image.

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try when I get a chance, and I'll try and take some photos of the cable also.

Have any NTSC users hooked this up to component video? How does it look and work with component?

-Larry

I'll be trying it both ways (RGB & Component), and then posting details. My first test will be with SCART because I just got my hands on my one and only monitor having this style of interface, and I'm anxious to see it work. For Component testing I have two monitors with this input type, both LCD's, one of which has a 55 inch screen so that should be interesting to see.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

Here's the details about the cable I'm using. This is a pre-made this cable and is really is meant for taking an RGB SCART input into a Philips CM8833-II (or a 1084s) so it's got a 9-Pin (for video) & 2 phonos (for audio) at one end and a Female SCART socket at the other. Here's the pinout;

9-Way SCART
0---Black 21---Black
1---Brown 17---Brown (also 13, 9, & 5)
3---Red 15---Red
4---Green 11---Green
5---Blue 7---Blue
8---Yellow 20---Yellow

Pictures of the actual wiring;

9-way1S.JPG

9-way2S.JPG

SCART1S.JPG

SCART2S.JPG