IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

So does anyone know if these (Sophia) boards are available for purchase?

I talked to @Simius yesterday and he said a batch of boards would be available for purchase in about a month. He did not give details on the size of the batch or an exact ETA

The project is closed source in case anyone was wondering.

Hi Simius

I have made a Component cable and have both jumpers installed on my Rev.A board but I cannot get a picture on my monitor. The only thing that works for me is sound.

My cable is as follows:

Pin 1 - Red and White audio connections signal terminal (connected to pin 2 of RF modulator internally)

Pin 2 - Component Pb signal (blue)

Pin 3 - Component Y signal (green)

Pin 4 - Component Pr signal (red)

Pin 6 - Signal ground for all signals

I have tried both jumpers on or off but assume they should normally both be installed for it to work. I have tested from the numbers pins on the 9 pin connector through to the component signals using a continuity test and they are all connected as they should be.

GTIA is installed on Sophia board (with index notch to the left) and it is installed in the GTIA socket of 800XLF (UK PAL model with integrated FREDDIE chip). Sound and video output is working over composite using the standard inbuilt connector.

Have you any ideas why this may not be working for me?

Hi Simius

I have made a Component cable and have both jumpers installed on my Rev.A board but I cannot get a picture on my monitor. The only thing that works for me is sound.

My cable is as follows:

Pin 1 - Red and White audio connections signal terminal (connected to pin 2 of RF modulator internally)

Pin 2 - Component Pb signal (blue)

Pin 3 - Component Y signal (green)

Pin 4 - Component Pr signal (red)

Pin 6 - Signal ground for all signals

I have tried both jumpers on or off but assume they should normally both be installed for it to work. I have tested from the numbers pins on the 9 pin connector through to the component signals using a continuity test and they are all connected as they should be.

GTIA is installed on Sophia board (with index notch to the left) and it is installed in the GTIA socket of 800XLF (UK PAL model with integrated FREDDIE chip). Sound and video output is working over composite using the standard inbuilt connector.

Have you any ideas why this may not be working for me?

I hate to say it, but it could be an incompatibility of the component video processing in your monitor with the strange timing of the A8. I have two monitors that don't work (Insignia and Element), and we had a similar issue when I was testing over at Bob Woolley's house with one of his monitors as well (I forget the brand name). However the monitors that do seem to always work are ones by Samsung (I have one that works, so does Bob, and also Simius).

- Michael

Ok thanks

What is the frequency it uses over Component? Is it 240p, 480p or 480i (or something else)?

I wanted to use it with my monitor but I do have a 14" Trinitron TV with SCART I can use and fortunately a spare d-sub connector I could wire up to it.

Ok thanks

What is the frequency it uses over Component? Is it 240p, 480p or 480i (or something else)?

I wanted to use it with my monitor but I do have a 14" Trinitron TV with SCART I can use and fortunately a spare d-sub connector I could wire up to it.

I would definitely suggest wiring up the DB9 to SCART connection and try it on your Trinitron. Chances are very good that it'll work just fine with that TV.

Good luck :)

- Michael

I talked to @Simius yesterday and he said a batch of boards would be available for purchase in about a month. He did not give details on the size of the batch or an exact ETA

The project is closed source in case anyone was wondering.

I missed this thread completely but I am definitely interested in one board. I'll have to keep an eye out for when Simius releases the next batch

Right, i've made up an RGB SCART cable with better results, but still not working right (though it is not a cable I am proud of). I now have it connected to my old Trinitron TV.

When I switch the input on the TV to the SCART, the picture appears for about 1 second then disappears. While it is visible it looks great (though I am not sure it is RGB since the TV is supposed to display a different symbol for RGB SCART). Every time I switch back to the input it appears again stable then vanishes after 1 second each time.

Does anybody know what could be causing this? Also, does anyone know where I could get a better quality cable in the UK (mine in Rev.A so not the same as Rev.B boards).

Edited by steddyman

Ah right. I started again with another cable because the old one was a mess and noticed my issue. I had accidentally connected the CVBS signal to the wrong pin. Working perfectly now.

Simius, did you say my Rev A board had the latest CPLD code with the auto palette selection?

If I have the original batch, how do I get the latest CPLD code? I have a USB blaster to upgrade it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/?p=3745241

I don't know if this is the latest or not, but it was the only one I found in the thread.

EDIT: I suspect there will be a newer core available at some point: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/?p=3754566

The above fix isn't in the first link.

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

Simius. Can you comment on what code I have loaded on my Rev.A? A few games look really pink to me, especially Donkey Kong. My son even commented on it.

If it isn't the latest can you please provide it to me. I do have a USB Blaster lying around somewhere I can flash it with.

Thanks

Simius, did you say my Rev A board had the latest CPLD code with the auto palette selection?

Yes, you have the firmware with auto palette selection. Donkey Kong is pink because you have PAL computer.

Just going back to my Component cable above. Is it correct that I did not connect the yellow S-video connection to the onboard Composite Sync? I thought sync was on green so didn't connect it.

But I've just connected an Amiga via VGA to the same monitor and it reports it cannot display the screen mode. It was just blank with no error on the Component cable.