IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

So the Atari actually ON when you reprogram it? Sounds dangerous somehow even though clearly it's not. I've got all the bits now so will be trying it in the next few days.

No not dangerous at all, in fact this is really how in circuit programming is meant to work (and allows for a more seamless development platform). Keep in mind that the PC is not providing 5 v power, and it only ties into the common ground and the programming pins on the MAX II CPLD chip (not shared with anything in your Atari).

- Michael

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a way for software to detect is Sofia is installed?

To add to this question, now that my Sophia has been converted to a standard NTSC palette is there a way to activate the previously provided extra color mode via software?

- Michael

• Like 1

There is no way to detect Sophia.

What do you mind writting "extra color mode"?

Didn't the recent firmware disable the extra color bit available that was the cause of the skewed colors such as yellow-green text? If not can you please give a better description of how this can still be used?

Doesn't really matter to me, since I like it to produce stock colors as it does now with the new firmware installed. Just curious if this sacrificed the extra color abilities provided by the original Sophia.

- Michael

To add to this question, now that my Sophia has been converted to a standard NTSC palette is there a way to activate the previously provided extra color mode via software?

- Michael

Simius has already cleared this up: "The 16 shades is now switchable by bit3 PMCTL ($D01D) (default 0=off)"

• Like 2

This is graphic explanation what would have to be done (for example) to make CSYNC fully compliant with EIA RS-170A video standard. The way is to cut 6*38 color cycles during vertical blank. During this time PHI2 signal for POKEY, PBI and CART connector must remain uninterrupted. This guarantees undisturbed SIO transmission up to 128kbit/s and reduces system speed by 0.4% only. The waveform are shown for the PAL system.

post-26134-0-22158200-1492970429_thumb.png

post-26134-0-81101700-1492970435_thumb.png

post-26134-0-47588000-1492970442_thumb.png

post-26134-0-37189400-1492970449_thumb.png

Edited by Simius

I was very surprised to learn that in making the Sophia color corrections, that the extra color was eliminated -- one of the major features that was originally stated. Evidently the CPLD size is the issue when creating the "dual " palette. I wonder how many users use both NTSC and PAL machines? Perhaps more than I would suspect, although I'm not one of them.

Since I'm not a gamer and a 99% text-only user, I think that the original CPLD code would be better for my use. IMO if there were going to be dual palettes, then a better choice would be to have an NTSC palette and a separate PAL palette, both with the extra color available.

-Larry

• Like 3

Hello Larry

Indeed, most people will probably only need one palette, either NTSC or PAL. For those who need both, the current version is nice. For all others, it would be great if we could choose which palette we want (either NTSC or PAL, but not both) and still have the extra features of the first version. So you'd have three versions:

• NTSC plus extra features
  • PAL plus extra features
  • NTSC and PAL without extra features

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 4

Jeez. Simius can't win can he.

I would suspect the space required to support two palettes means that he can't accommodate the extra colour in hi-res mode. He can't let you select without having a custom POF file for each region then having to program them based on the customers region. Doesn't sound sustainable to me.

If anyone is so dissatisfied that they want to sell their SOPHIA I would be more than happy to buy it off you :)

Hello Steddyman

He doesn't have to win. The files are now out in the open so anyone who is willing and able can change whatever they want in there. If Simius wants to do that, that's fine. If he doesn't, maybe somebody else will. No problem at all. Just ideas. Without ideas, everything stays the same. Ideas brought us SOPHIA, GTIA, Atari, AtariAge, internet, electric light, fire, etc., etc.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Hi Mathy

Sorry, I should have ended my first line with a smiley, I wasn't having a go ;)

He has only upload the POF files so far, which are binary images you cannot edit. He hasn't open sourced the project and based on the comment for the POF file he has no intention of doing so.

Personally I think the auto selection of TV system is the perfect solution. How would you use the extra colours anyway without any software that supports it?

Hello steddyman

How would you use the extra colours anyway without any software that supports it?

That's probably what they said when the STE was launched. Since I went from Atari 8 bit to Apple 32 bit, I can't say for sure if the extra features of the STE were ever used, but I guess they did.

Sincerely

Mathy

Just got a new (to me) clean, working FULLY (28) Socketed NTSC 800xl and wish for the best video output 2017 can offer (RF childhood memories be gone..). Inspired after viewing youtube clips by "The Modern Atari 8bit computer" I have a NOOB video question:

Comparing Bryan's UAV Rev D. and Simius's RGB mod, which would be best for my setup? I have:

Commodore 1902 Monitor (CRT) with both chroma/luma inputs AND RGB in (Pin, not RCA type),

Dell LCD monitor (has Svideo and Composite in!)

Samsung USA tv with Component in, VGA, and HDMI

a 5 pin to audio/Chroma/Luma retro cable (compatible with both my 800xl and C64)

a 5 pin to SCART retro cable (currently can only connect to USA tv with crappy hdmi converter box)

I'm also comfortable removing/replacing a capacitor or removing an RF box or soldering a wire or two.

Hello, since I need to solder some cables to connect Sophia to my usb blaster is it possible to have a pinout of the JTAG port please?

No need to solder anything. You just need to crimp a connector onto the cable that came with your USB Blaster (see image below for proper orientation).

post-29824-0-06337800-1489242301.jpg

Sophia uses a Micro-Match connector, so here is the mating part suitable for crimping onto the ribbon cable...

8-215083-0_sml.jpg

Digi-Key P/N: A99461CT-ND

TE Connectivity P/N: 8-215083-0

- Michael

• Like 2

I need to do this too, what crimping tool did you use?

no tool needed really for IDC, just push the ribbon down on top of the IDC pins, make sure they're lined up, and close the connector together. The wires push into some blades that cut through the insulation and contact the wire. I've done these with my bare hands, no tools needed. It might help to have a flat blade screwdriver to carefully push the ribbon down.

• Like 1