IGNORED

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack

Trebor

@Trebor: as a Concerto owner, I very much appreciate having the Concerto-specific ROMs now broken out into their own category.  Thank you ;-)

One question: in the Hacks directory, there are a number of files that are overdumps intended to be used specifically with the Concerto.  I realise that the overdumps aren't 100% straight-up dumps (or releases) of the source, but why aren't they in the Concerto directory?  Not a huge deal; just curious.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:56 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

One question: in the Hacks directory, there are a number of files that are overdumps intended to be used specifically with the Concerto.  I realise that the overdumps aren't 100% straight-up dumps (or releases) of the source, but why aren't they in the Concerto directory?  Not a huge deal; just curious.

Which ROMs are the overdumps in question, that are intended to be used specifically with the Concerto, but are not in the Concerto directory? 

Under the "hacks" folder, the only labeled overdump files, are the "Overdump 78SG Hack" ROMs which are present in the Concerto folder.  They were also distributed in limited release quantities as physical carts, of those, Tank Command and Water Ski also received reproduction boxes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

*UPDATE*

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack v5_12

A little shy of four months since the last update.  A lot of cool stuff has taken place since then.  Check it out!

I. Homebrews | Hacks | Demos | Prototypes

NEW: Bomber Hero, I.C.B.M., Space Chess, Huffmunch - Collision Chaos (Music Demo), Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (PAL Version), 32k RAM Test Demo, Attack of the Petscii Robots, RatTrap, Space Chess, Snooze Ewes Demo, Dragon's Verse (Scroll Prototype), Kid Daedalus (Demo), Line Target Demo, Donkey Kong Remix, Simple Starfield (Demo), LZSS Player, LZSS Player - Przeszlem Freda w lewo, Drone Patrol, Super Stunt Cycle (Prototype ROMs), Breakout, 320A Mode Test, The Time Machine (Book Cart), Reksio - Silly Venture 2023 SE Atari 7800 Invitro (Demo) (PAL)

UPDATED: Game of the Bear - Polar Opposites, Lyra the Tenrec, Touchdown Challenge, Heofonfir (Vertical Shooter Demo), Millie And Molly, PentaGo, Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition, Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition (Short Mazes), Pac-Man - Energy Drink Edition

DELETED: "Concerto" folder.  Out of scope for this collection.  Additionally, newer firmware releases (I.E. bios_concerto_0.96_build_30323_NTSC) has made nearly all Concerto specific ROM builds no longer necessary.

RENAMED: Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (20151220).a78 --> Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (NTSC) (20151220).a78, CPS 7800 Diagnostic Test Cartridge (v1_00) (19xx).a78 --> CPS 7800 Diagnostic Test Cartridge (v1_00) (19840511).a78

II. Retail

MODIFIED: Fixed bank6@4000 header bit for Midnight Mutants (PAL) (Atari) (1990) 

III. Special Note*All 1,114 ROMs currently included in the PROPack have been reviewed, updated as needed, to meet both v3 and the new v4 cart header compliance*

Thanks to @RevEng for keeping the header tool updated, allowing this project to be tremendously more manageable and quite frankly, even feasible. 

Thanks to @SainT for assistance with some Demos in need of the v4 header spec applied, as well as a catch on Midnight Mutants (PAL) needing the aforementioned header modification.

Thanks to @Albert, as without his work, including but not exclusive to maintaining this very site, we would not have the community or development we see today, at the very least, not pooled together or at this level of progress and achievement.

Of course, thanks to all of you, hardware gurus, developers, testers, players, publishers keeping the 7800 platform alive and well.  It's very exciting and wonderful to be a part of the community and among its members.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the update, @Trebor!

Also, if someone else with an Atarivox could please sanity-check me on something, it would be appreciated.  The new version of Millie & Molly appears to be working fine with the Concerto, but the game seems to be occasionally sending data down the same joystick pins used by the Atarivox.  This usually takes the form of individual sound effects  kicking off, but it has also done things like play DTMF, phonemes, and once even managed to sustain a sine wave for almost an entire game.  It's definitely the Atarivox; if I turn it off, the problem doesn't manifest.

Having played through a few times in a row, it seems as though the spurious effects go away after level 10, but may or may not reappear if restarting the game after finishing it regardless of the level chosen at that time.

Also, both PETSCII and Snooze Ewes crash on load for me; this does not appear to be dependent on whether or not the Atarivox is enabled.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Also, if someone else with an Atarivox could please sanity-check me on something, it would be appreciated.  The new version of Millie & Molly appears to be working fine with the Concerto, but the game seems to be occasionally sending data down the same joystick pins used by the Atarivox.  This usually takes the form of individual sound effects  kicking off, but it has also done things like play DTMF, phonemes, and once even managed to sustain a sine wave for almost an entire game.  It's definitely the Atarivox; if I turn it off, the problem doesn't manifest.

How old is your AtariVox?  The older ones are known to have issues at times.

I purchased a 'newer' one in Sept 2021 that works perfectly.

See this thread:

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Also, both PETSCII and Snooze Ewes crash on load for me; this does not appear to be dependent on whether or not the Atarivox is enabled.

See Muddyfunster's reply regarding PETSCII Robots.   Indeed, Concerto does not support bankset bankswitching. 

Its firmware also does not support 256k ROM sizes either, currently.

The issue with Snooze Ewes is a similar compatibility issue, as it is a hardware configuration/setup Concerto does not support (yet). 

The ROM size is only 48k.  For the 32k and 48k POKEY ROMs, Concerto expects and supports the POKEY addressing @4000.  Snooze is programmed for @450.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Trebor said:

How old is your AtariVox?  The older ones are known to have issues at times.

I purchased a 'newer' one in Sept 2021 that works perfectly.

Sorry, should have specified: it's an Atarivox+, purchased earlier this year.  Should be the 2.0 version, and says, "Atarivox Plus - Ready" at startup.

It is installed internally rather than plugged into the joystick port.  However, I don't think that should be an issue, but I've been wrong before.

37 minutes ago, Trebor said:

The issue with Snooze Ewes is a similar compatibility issue, as it is a hardware configuration/setup Concerto does not support (yet). 

The ROM size is only 48k.  For the 32k and 48k POKEY ROMs, Concerto expects and supports the POKEY addressing @4000.  Snooze is programmed for @450.

Got it.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I don't think PETSCII is compatible with Concerto as it uses the banksets scheme.

Sounds right; I completely forgot about that.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 1:31 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Thanks for the post.  It probably is using an older version of 7800basic (pre 0.24) where Mike fixed a conflict between the SNES2Atari and AtariVox.  I do plan on updating the demo with some other levels soon for the upcoming cart release so will provide a new one to Robert and the M&M announcement post very soon (once I get some time).

• Like 6

Thanks as always for your hard work in creating and maintaining this archive, Trebor! 

I do have one (maybe small, maybe not-so …) QOL request for the next update: can you break down the Demos folder into alphabetized or grouped sub-folders? Right now there are something like 339 files in there and the Dragonfly cart chokes on directories with over 255 files. I had manually sorted and broken down the Demos folder into smaller sub-folders myself a couple years ago when I last updated the majority of my SD card contents, but forgot this weekend when I just extracted the newest version and dropped it onto my card. 

If this is too much trouble, feel free to tell me to go pound sand. I won’t feel bad. :) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Thanks as always for your hard work in creating and maintaining this archive, Trebor! 

I do have one (maybe small, maybe not-so …) QOL request for the next update: can you break down the Demos folder into alphabetized or grouped sub-folders? Right now there are something like 339 files in there and the Dragonfly cart chokes on directories with over 255 files. I had manually sorted and broken down the Demos folder into smaller sub-folders myself a couple years ago when I last updated the majority of my SD card contents, but forgot this weekend when I just extracted the newest version and dropped it onto my card. 

If this is too much trouble, feel free to tell me to go pound sand. I won’t feel bad. :) 

You're welcome.  

The suggestion is welcomed too.  Actually, the grouping is long overdue. 

Going forward with the next PROPack release, the Demos (403 ROM files currently) folder, Hacks (333 files) folder, Homebrews (192 files) folder, will contain the subfolder "0-9", and a subfolder for each letter of the alphabet. 

Prototypes (28 files) folder, Utilities (54 files) folder, Retail NTSC (62 files) folder, and Retail PAL (52 files) folder will remain having their ROM files grouped together under their respective category.

You could still go pound sand, if it makes you happy. :D

• Like 8
  • Haha 3