IGNORED

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack

Trebor

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

You're welcome.  

The suggestion is welcomed too.  Actually, the grouping is long overdue. 

Going forward with the next PROPack release, the Demos (403 ROM files currently) folder, Hacks (333 files) folder, Homebrews (192 files) folder, will contain the subfolder "0-9", and a subfolder for each letter of the alphabet. 

Prototypes (28 files) folder, Utilities (54 files) folder, Retail NTSC (62 files) folder, and Retail PAL (52 files) folder will remain having their ROM files grouped together under their respective category.

Be A Hero GIF by SomeGoodNews

You could still go pound sand, if it makes you happy. :D

😂😂😂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

*UPDATE*

Trebors 7800 ROM PROPack v6_13

This update is huge folks, please pay special attention respecting both new additions as well as new layouts.  Especially noteworthy is the binary checksum listed with every ROM file.

I. Homebrews | Hacks | Demos | Prototypes

NEW
320C Sprite Editor - Viewer Demo (PAL), 9 Colour Demo (320C) (PAL), Adventureland (Mini Demo), Asteroids (Prototypes) (Rev A) | (1987) | (Alt 1), Cannon Fodder GFX Demo (320C) (PAL), Centipede (Prototype), Commando (Prototype), Desert Falcon (Prototypes) (3-9-87) | (3-25-87), Dig Dug (Prototype), Donkey Kong - Pauline Edition (Hack), Donkey Kong PK (Pre-Alpha Build) (Kill Screen Level 22 Start), Food Fight (Prototype), Galaga (Prototypes) (4-18-84) | ('Plain'), GATO (Prototypes) (Numerous Additions), Hat Trick (Prototype), High Score Cartridge, I Ran, Impossible Mission (NTSC Fix 1 & Fix 2 Hacks), Joust (Prototype), Karateka (Prototype), Klax (Prototypes) (Numerous Additions), Krull 320B Title Screen Demo, Ms Pac-Man (Prototypes) (xx-xx-84) | (Encrypt), Plutos (Prototypes) (Alt 1) | (Infinite Lives), Pole Position II (Prototype) (4-11-84), Random GFX From NES (320C Demo) (PAL), Red Bandana, The (320C Demo) (PAL), Rescus On Fractalus (Prototype) (Alt 1), SFX Examples (PAL), Sirius (Prototypes) (Alt 1) | (Infinite Lives), Stanley - The Search For Dr Livingston (320C Demo) (PAL), Test Cartridge (Prototypes), Tiled Test, VGM Player - Flooded Cellar (YM), VGM Player - Highway (YM), VGM Player - Oil (YM), VGM Player - R-Type Title (YM), VGM Player - Sky Chase (YM), VGM Player - Studiopolis (YM), VGM Player - The Only (YM), When The World Explodes (320C Demo) (PAL), Xenoform (320C Demo) (PAL), Xevious (Prototype).

UPDATED:

7iX, Armor Attack II, Astro Blaster, Astro Fighter, Baby Pac-Man, Crazy Otto, Donkey Kong PK-XM (NTSC) (Demo) (v1.2), Drone Patrol, I.C.B.M., Jr Pac-Man, KC Munchkin, Moon Cresta, Pac-Man Collection, Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition, Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition (Short Mazes), Plumb Luck DX, Rip-Off, Scramble, Space Invaders, Super Pac-Man, UniWarS.

DELETED:
Clean Sweep (Ferrell's Hack) (20151204) --> duplicate of Clean Sweep (Vectrex Edition) (Hack) (20151204), Pac-Man Collection (New Monsters) (20150531) --> superseded by updated Pac-Man Collection (20230627).

RENAMED:
Cosmic Cabbie (20121229).a78 --> Cosmic Cabbie (20201229).a78, Double Dragon (AB) (Graphics Hack) (RC7b) (20170616).a78 --> Double Dragon (AM) (Graphics Hack) (RC7b) (20170616).a78, GATO (198x) (Atari) (Prototype) (Alt 1).a78 --> GATO (Prototype) (Alt 1) (198x).a78, GATO (198x) (Atari) (Prototype) (Alt 2).a78 --> GATO (Prototype) (Alt 2) (198x).a78, GATO (198x) (Atari) (Prototype).a78 --> GATO (Prototype) (5-23-87).a78, Klax (19xx)(Atari)(NTSC)(Prototype)(Fixed).a78 --> Klax (Prototype) (NTSC) (xx-xx-92) (Fixed).a78, Missing In Action (TNT Games) (Prototype).a78 --> Missing In Action (TNT Games) (Prototype) (xx-xx-89).a78, Pit Fighter (1992) (Atari) (Prototype) (Alt 1).a78 --> Pit Fighter (Atari) (Prototype) (Alt 1) (1992).a78, Pit Fighter (1992) (Atari) (Prototype) (Alt 2).a78 --> Pit Fighter (Atari) (Prototype) (Alt 2) (1992).a78, Pit Fighter (1992) (Atari) (Prototype).a78 --> Pit Fighter (Atari) (Prototype) (1992).a78, Possible Mission (Hack) (20050130).a78 --> Possible Mission (Propane13) (PAL to NTSC Hack) (20050130).a78, Rampart (Prototype).a78 --> Rampart (Prototype) (xx-xx-91).a78, Rescue On Fractalus (Prototype) (Correct Header).a78 --> Rescue On Fractalus (Prototype) (xx-xx-84).a78, Sentinel (NTSC) (Finished Prototype).a78 --> Sentinel (NTSC) (Finished Prototype) (11-21-90).a78, Star Typer (6-02-84) (Bad Dump) (Prototype).a78 --> Star Typer (Prototype) (Bad Dump) (6-2-84).a78, Star Typer (6-28-84) (Bad Dump) (Prototype).a78 --> Star Typer (Prototype) (Bad Dump) (6-28-84).a78, Super Stunt Cycle (Prototype) (4-14-89) (Fixed Short).a78 --> Super Stunt Cycle (Prototype) (Fixed Short) (4-14-89).a78, Super Stunt Cycle (Prototype) (5-26-89) (Fixed Short).a78 --> Super Stunt Cycle (Prototype) (Fixed Short) (5-26-89).a78, White Lamp (Dual POKEY 440 450 Demo) (20210120).a78 --> White Lamp Music Demo (Dual POKEY 440 450) (20210120).a78, White Lamp Music Demo (Dual POKEY 800 410) (20220824).a78 --> White Lamp Music Demo (Dual POKEY 800 810) (20220824).a78.

In addition to the above renaming, appended to the end of all ROM filenames is a checksum of the respective binary data.  This aids in avoiding duplication, better ensures the integrity of header files created in conjunction with ROM file uniqueness.

Subfolder "0-9", along with a subfolder created for every letter of the alphabet, having files sorted accordingly, for "Demos", "Hacks", and "Homebrews" folders.

II. Retail

-Added: v4 header flag to Tower Toppler and Jinks ROMs that denotes leveraging RF/Composite artifacting significantly.

-Appended: to the end of all Retail ROM filenames is a checksum of the respective binary data.  This aids in avoiding duplication, better ensures the integrity of header files created in conjunction with ROM file uniqueness.

-Created: "Alternates" folder for each region and moved the respective alternate memory dumps of NTSC and PAL Double Dragon, NTSC Rampage, and NTSC Winter Games to them.  Alternates document for each region created, denoting ROM differences.  

-Removed: incidental "supergame" v3 header flag for Activision ROMs which occurred during the previous update.

-Renamed: Double Dragon and Rampage dumps from "(AB)" and "(OB)" to "(AM)" and "(OM)" respectively.

Huge thanks to all who continue to support, develop, maintain, motivate, and share in this awesome community!  It continues to be a pleasure, thrill, and honor to have a part in it all.  Enjoy everyone!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 15

23 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

One question: how were the checksums appended to the filenames generated?

Manually. :)

Stripped the *.a78 file (Thanks again to @RevEng and his fantastic 7800header tool), acquire the checksum, copy and paste into the filename.  Performed for all 1,178 ROMs present.

• Thanks 9

Manually. :)

Stripped the *.a78 file (Thanks again to @RevEng and his fantastic 7800header tool), acquire the checksum, copy and paste into the filename.  Performed for all 1,178 ROMs present.

Fair enough ;) (and that is a hell of a lot of work; you certainly have my thanks for doing it)

I probably should have phrased the question differently: which tool is being used to generate them?  It'd be good to be able to do that for the sake of identification.

I think the Food Fight ROM that is listed as a prototype is actually the original 1986 release version. I believe this is the one with the level 100 bug (If I remember correctly). The one in the release folder is the 1987 fixed version.

I am probably the one to blame for the confusion since I didn't realize at the time I posted the proto dump that there were two released versions. I thought I posted about it when I found out but maybe I never got around to it. :(

Mitch

13 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I understand what you're getting at, but speaking as someone who isn't a Windows user...  Which algorithms were used?

CRC32 Hash

*EDIT: To clarify, the tool generated CRC32, CRC64, SHA1, and SHA256 hashes simultaneously.  For the sake of size, only CRC32 is listed in the filename.

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

I think the Food Fight ROM that is listed as a prototype is actually the original 1986 release version. I believe this is the one with the level 100 bug (If I remember correctly). The one in the release folder is the 1987 fixed version.

I am probably the one to blame for the confusion since I didn't realize at the time I posted the proto dump that there were two released versions. I thought I posted about it when I found out but maybe I never got around to it. :(

Thanks for the heads-up, Mitch.  If this could be verified, that would be great!  If verified to be the original 86 release instead, the dump can always be moved to the "Alternates" folder and renamed accordingly.

9 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Great, as used. Glad to see my Donkey Kong hack 😁

Indeed, "Donkey Kong - Pauline Edition (Hack) (20230513) (107078DF)" is present ;)

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:41 AM, Mitch said:

On 7/2/2023 at 7:20 AM, Trebor said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Mitch.  If this could be verified, that would be great!  If verified to be the original 86 release instead, the dump can always be moved to the "Alternates" folder and renamed accordingly.

I did a little digging and came across a thread which contains a couple of other Food Fight dumps, one 24K and a 'fixed' 32K version.  Neither reflect what is currently available in PROPack v6.13.  Though, of course, both of the aforementioned dumps will be included in the next update.  Any more details or clarity on any of the dumps is appreciated. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the amazing updated pack, Trebor. Stellar and no doubt exhausting work.

(So in connection with a discussion elsewhere, neither of the Rampage binaries work correctly in my Concerto. The AM version still loops back to the character select screen instead of starting a game, then won't let you select again. The alternate OM version doesn't even boot - I get a scrambled, rolling screen. The AM version fails on my DragonFly with vertical 2600/7800 bars - like  you would see with a dirty cart on a 2600, but the alternate OM version seems to work fine.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Thanks for the amazing updated pack, Trebor. Stellar and no doubt exhausting work.

You're welcome :)

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

(So in connection with a discussion elsewhere, neither of the Rampage binaries work correctly in my Concerto. The AM version still loops back to the character select screen instead of starting a game, then won't let you select again. The alternate OM version doesn't even boot - I get a scrambled, rolling screen.

The (OM) dump is definitely not supported yet under the Concerto.  The (AM) dump, which is the alternate memory bank layout available and supported for years, should work.  The header is definitely correct:

image.thumb.png.1c4d7ac8b9017c33404be2db8d25b494.png

Something else is awry with the Concerto; perhaps the firmware being utilized or some other compatibility issue. 

The AM version fails on my DragonFly with vertical 2600/7800 bars - like  you would see with a dirty cart on a 2600, but the alternate OM version seems to work fine.)

Perhaps @rj1307 decided to support the original memory bank order dump instead of the alternate memory bank order dump.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:13 PM, Trebor said:

You're welcome :)

The (OM) dump is definitely not supported yet under the Concerto.  The (AM) dump, which is the alternate memory bank layout available and supported for years, should work.  The header is definitely correct:

image.thumb.png.1c4d7ac8b9017c33404be2db8d25b494.png

Something else is awry with the Concerto; perhaps the firmware being utilized or some other compatibility issue. 

Perhaps @rj1307 decided to support the original memory bank order dump instead of the alternate memory bank order dump.

There is absolutely no point in supporting the actual ROM dump layout -- this is not how the console sees it. The only reason for having the direct ROM dump is if you wanted to replace a ROM on an original cart while keeping the existing address decoding logic.

The ROM layout is purely because of how the address decoding logic works, and organising the memory in this way means you can have less components / logic to perform the same job.

These dumps are definitely a curio rather than of any particular use, other than a direct ROM replacement for an original cart.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SainT said:

There is absolutely no point in supporting the actual ROM dump layout [...]

These dumps are definitely a curio rather than of any particular use, other than a direct ROM replacement for an original cart.

Agreed. Users shouldn't look for support of the OM layout as a desired feature in emulators or flashcarts, because it gives them nothing - this is exactly the reason we didn't even bother allocating a flag for OM in the a78 header. 

Trebor has the OM dumps in the pack as documentation that the old AM dumps used an unnatural bank order, but other than that, there's no value to their existence.

• Like 2

Well, so if I understand correctly, the default "AM" scheme is the one that carts, emulators, etc should support, right?

image.thumb.jpeg.6a0e67b49821c24eaf6679c341ef0efa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4853c3811ed832f9588bbf1e1e11174a.jpeg

But ...

image.thumb.jpeg.8444fd70b8071a3ad688321def99ada1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.56273c4e5674df71c13959a35e1ffa4c.jpeg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(EDIT: Same result with Double Dragon - the "AM" version just gives vertical lines; the "OM" version in the ALTERNATES folder of the most recent ProPack works fine).

On 7/10/2023 at 11:19 AM, DrVenkman said:

Well, so if I understand correctly, the default "AM" scheme is the one that carts, emulators, etc should support, right?

[...]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"should" is a bit of a strong word, but every other device and emulator that can run 7800 Activision roms uses the old AM scheme, and doesn't support OM. I don't know why it's flipped in DF. 

[edit - I'm told that Mame team recently flipped to using the OM scheme, based on Rafal's info.]

• 4 months later...

I just downloaded your terrific 6.13.zip file (thank you!) I'm eager to play Impossible Mission (loved it on the C64) and I was wondering what the "best" version is. I don't want to get deep into the game and find out that I played a bad/unwinnable version. So what is the best working title?

I'm thinking it is between: NTSC Fix 1, NTSC Fix 2, New Graphics C64 Hack, and Possible Mission.

Appreciate anyone's input! Thank you!