• Intellivoice
    • System Changer
    • Ecs. Entertainment computer system
    • Music synthesizer
    • Extra controller in box
    • Controller add ons/ sticks or joystick knob
    • playcable, other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Besides the Intellivision . What is your 2nd Fav console, that u had back in the day. Or like to play or collect for?

I added Famicom/Nes , it was Released in Japan in 1983.

Atari 7800, was test marketed in selected area in the U.S, in 1984, before Warner sold Atari off and divided Atari.

Also i added What ur favorite computer, Handheld, and Intv accessory pre 85/86

Nintendo had the "Game & Watch" handhelds throughout the 1980s. The Gameboy came out in 1989.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_%26_Watch_games

My second favourite console would be the Radio Shack Pong we had. Most of the other video game systems focused on arcade style games. Today I can just play the actual arcade games at home.

Edit: The Vectrex looks like a nice machine. I've had a quick look at its games but overall the game library doesn't seem that good.

Edited by mr_me

2ND FAV console pre 85: NES/Famicom

I very much prefer SMS to NES, but it still has lots of games in my favorite genre: RPG('ish).

Whats ur Favorite computer pre 84: Apple

I didn't get to spend much time with computers while I was young, but the two memorable games I played the most were both for Apple: Transylvania and King's Quest.

What's ur fav Handheld: TurboExpress/PC Engine GT

I got an Express early on and played TG-16 games all the time while walking across town. I even got SFII' with a converter montgs before Turbo hit SNES and Genesis, at a time when people were desperate enough to use Game Genie codes to sort of play as boss sprites on SNES.

Whats your Fav Intellivision Accesory: other

Custom controllers are a dream come true and transform the experience of playing so many new and old games. I prefer pads to joysticks, so I usually play using a 3-button Genesis pad, but also have a modified Neo Geo X stick.

If I were to pick an old official accessory, then it would be the Intellivoice. The fact that it's actual speech synthesis and not just a method of delivering sound samples not only increases the appeal, but makes it timeless.

One late-breaking thought: should "Pong" be listed under "2ND FAV console pre 85"? I would have suggested Atari Stuntcycle but that might be just a little too obscure.

Of course it should; Stuntcycle under other; and none a separate option.

2ND FAV console pre 85: NES/Famicom

I very much prefer SMS to NES, but it still has lots of games in my favorite genre: RPG('ish).

The Famicom/NES library in 1983/84/85 was mostly arcade remakes and sports games. Just like the Coleovision in North America; its their Donkey Kong launch title that [initially] pushed Famicom sales over Sega in Japan.

Edited by mr_me

Of course it should; Stuntcycle under other; and none a separate option.

The Famicom/NES library in 1983/84/85 was mostly arcade remakes and sports games. Just like the Coleovision in North America; its their Donkey Kong launch title that [initially] pushed Famicom sales over Sega in Japan.

I thought that the category was pre-1985 consoles, not 'software published before 1985 for the following consoles".

• Like 1

Heh. With 20 votes so far, nobody selected the TI-99/4(A) as their favorite pre-1984 computer. I suppose this city is not big enough for two early 16-bit systems. :)

I voted 99/4a I still play a few games on it, but continue to create games for it. This is a 1981-83 computer of my youth.

The C=64 was my 1984-1988 computer, I did a little bit of programming on it, but I mostly played games. The only games I play from time to time now are One on One , Hardball and Leader Board Golf.

Most of the accolade games were very good: Test Drive etc.

• Like 2

We had a PCjr which barely fits in to the category. I upgraded from a TI 99-4a. Part of the reason was for the sound chip. I did some BASIC back then and liked programing the TI sound chip. I found out then how different BASIC could be from system to system and my interest began to fade for programming. LOL Everything was generally better with the PCjr except the large amount of programs for the TI.

Edit: The Vectrex looks like a nice machine. I've had a quick look at its games but overall the game library doesn't seem that good.

(gasp!)

The Vectrex is very much an 80s arcade-style machine. The built-in game Minestorm is an Asteroids knock-off that, frankly, is a better game than Asteroids. If you like the 80s-style quick action space shooter type game, you'll love it: the glowing vector graphics just can't be emulated very closely, and the machine really does have a unique look and feel. On the other hand, if you'll looking for in-depth platformers or RPGs, then the Vectrex is not for you.

If you've never played with one, I really recommend you check out a Vectrex emulator. There is a great Java-vased emulator called ParaJVE for Windows, and an emulator called VECX for the Mac and Linux. Although these can't quite capture the look and feel, they'll give you an idea of what the system is like. All the original commercial games have been released to the public domain, so you can check them out legally without having any headaches over copyright issues.

• Like 4

I never had an intellivision growing up, but I can understand it's appeal in comparison to the systems of the time. My second favorite of the pre crash systems would have been the Vectrex. It's so unique that I have considered keeping it if I had to sell everything else.

• Like 4

I always wanted a Vectrex when I was a kid because it looked and played exactly like a video arcade machine. It was such a unique console.

I am so pleased and happy that I managed to buy one in excellent condition, with several original games at CGE-2012. Although I never played the Vectrex as a child, and my impressions of it were purely form by TV commercials and department store demo units; I must say that it is just as good and amazing as I always imagined it to be. I love the Vectrex (although I have a deeper emotional connection to the Intellivision).

• Like 2

It was straight to the Apple IIe from the Intellivision. Better graphics, more in-depth games, and tons of "free" games were available on the BBS's / AE lines. I didn't get back into consoles until the PlayStation.

HERETIC!!! :mad:

To me it was straight from the Intellivision to the Commodore 64 -- with a very short detour through the marshes of the ECS. I also didn't return to consoles until the PlayStation 2 came around (but my wife bought me a bunch of PS1 with it, so I still count the PS1 as my next console).

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay