IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

We already discussed New Coke vs Diet Coke in this thread, why not discuss what we like getting drunk on?

Beer, wine, liquor, take your pick. Booze is booxe. :P

Fox News has a blurb about it today....

Still not much to go on but it's nice to see news of it getting around some.

Funny they mention Atari went bankrupt in 2013 but wasn't that like only the fifth or sixth time the company and IP have changed hands???

Turns out, Linux didn't need the desktop. It conquered everything else. :)

-Thom

For sure, even MS supports it on Azure.

Ha, It's been the year of Linux Desktop for me for..... what 10 years now? I only use Windows for games. Don't really trust it for anything else.

<-- Linux user since September 1991, bootstrapped atop Minix 1.5

-Thom

Nice, I've really been a Linux user since around '96-'97. There was a guy on Reddit that called it a "Trash OS" because you "have to compile everything." Dude try using it 20 years ago or something? I don't compile hardly anything anymore, and I work with Linux professionally. Hell, even most of the things that are custom and compiled are done with a simple click of a button, and a yum or apt install....

Silly people. Oddly, my first Unix-y setup was on my Mega STe where I actually had managed to get X11 and Emacs running. Though time has made my memory fuzzy on if I had managed to get them to work both at once, I remember Emacs being a HUGE memory hog (considering 4mb of ram).

Ha, It's been the year of Linux Desktop for me for..... what 10 years now? I only use Windows for games. Don't really trust it for anything else.

I've been using Windows since the day it was invented (yes all the way from version 1.0) and don't know what's there not to trust. Have never been infected by a virus/malware save a few browser hijacks on occasion and those where probably partly due to my own mistakes (perhaps visiting websites who's names must remain anonymous) No spy agencies or dark types ever stole my personal info and started to harass me either. Windows is like a sports car, if you know how to handle it and be sober while driving, you will never have accidents :-D

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 4

This year, unlike the past 25, is DEFINITELY the year of the Linux desktop. Definitely.

It is? I'm sorry but I just don't see that. No non-techie in my neighborhood knows what Linux is, but they all know Windows. And they're familiar with the different versions.

I've been using Windows since the day it was invented (yes all the way from version 1.0) and don't know what's there not to trust. Have never been infected by a virus/malware save a few browser hijacks on occasion and those where probably partly due to my own mistakes (perhaps visiting websites who's names must remain anonymous) No spy agencies or dark types ever stole my personal info and started to harass me either. Windows is like a sports car, if you know how to handle it and be sober while driving, you will never have accidents :-D

Ha, isn't that back in the day when you had to close out everything or you'd lose files when you'd shut down? A friend of mine said he had to do that when he was doing the same on another friend's Amiga, and we were wondering why...

Every piece of software has their own bugs and quirks, it really all comes down to 'does it do what I want it to without being a pain in the butt?' Linux and it's associated stack all the way up to Gnome-shell does that for me.

Oh and with the latest updates to Windows 10.. wow Cortana is really annoying. If you want to see some serious amounts of 'wow this isn't terribly professional' thoughts, do a fresh install of the Creator's Update. Cortana literally mentions connecting to a network 'so you can get to looking at cat videos.'

I began in earnest with 3.1. Compared to what I was using, it was sleek and professional.

I experimented with a couple of anti-virus packages in the early XP era and maybe a few before then. They caused nothing but sub-standard user experiences and were wholly annoying to the nth degree. "Safety" and "Security" is terribly overblown and hyped to all hell and back. Common sense will protect you 99% of the time. The other 1% can come from yearly patches and updates, if necessary.

I work in computer security... while I agree all antivirus software is terrible for one reason or another, leaving a system connected to the internet without something protecting it is a terrible idea. Vulnerabilities are discovered all the time, not to mention things like botnets, ransomware, etc. Hell, I remember a guy I worked with kept getting a message that basically asked for 10 dallars for an applicstion to disable the message... turns out Windows Messaging system was enabled by default on XP at one point, and peeple were broadcasting messages with over the internet to make money. Moron paid for it, even after I gold him to just disable the service....

I work in computer security... while I agree all antivirus software is terrible for one reason or another, leaving a system connected to the internet without something protecting it is a terrible idea. Vulnerabilities are discovered all the time, not to mention things like botnets, ransomware, etc. Hell, I remember a guy I worked with kept getting a message that basically asked for 10 dallars for an applicstion to disable the message... turns out Windows Messaging system was enabled by default on XP at one point, and peeple were broadcasting messages with over the internet to make money. Moron paid for it, even after I gold him to just disable the service....

Idiot.

Yeah, it makes a perfectly fine desktop. But for people depending on particular Windows applications, migrating them to Linux is usually not seamless.

Still, I converted my mother-in-law to Linux after I got sick of fixing her computer everytime she got it completely infected with malware (every 6 mos on average) and the support calls stopped.

Yeah, it makes a perfectly fine desktop. But for people depending on particular Windows applications, migrating them to Linux is usually not seamless.

Still, I converted my mother-in-law to Linux after I got sick of fixing her computer everytime she got it completely infected with malware (every 6 mos on average) and the support calls stopped.

Here's why I use Windows... 98% of software and hardware is designed to work with it. It's also why I use an iPhone over some other choice. I can be guaranteed that I can find exactly the case I want and that most apps are designed to work with it (and yes, I've had plenty of Android phones in the past, and my two oldest daughters also have Android phones).

I'm obviously perfectly capable of using Linux or MacOS - and certainly have ways to run them - but, at my age/time demands, I'm much more focused on getting things done than worrying about what should be mostly unnecessary details of things like "will it work with my system?".

In any case, to bring this back to Ataribox, whether it runs Windows or Linux, it's really irrelevant for that type of system. What matters is what it runs, how it runs it, and what value it brings to a crowded market.

• Like 3

Here's why I use Windows... 98% of software and hardware is designed to work with it. It's also why I use an iPhone over some other choice. I can be guaranteed that I can find exactly the case I want and that most apps are designed to work with it (and yes, I've had plenty of Android phones in the past, and my two oldest daughters also have Android phones).

I'm obviously perfectly capable of using Linux or MacOS - and certainly have ways to run them - but, at my age/time demands, I'm much more focused on getting things done than worrying about what should be mostly unnecessary details of things like "will it work with my system?".

I dual-boot Linux and Windows and TBH, whenever I need to rebuild my system, getting Linux up and running is the easy part. Today's distibutions automatically detect and set up all my hardware requiring little intervention.

But when it comes to windows, there are always headaches. Like last time I had to fight and fight with it to get my motherboard drivers installed properly, and it still tells me I don't have the latest version, but the latest version won't install. I waste more time getting Windows working than I do Linux.

Yes it has, the real question is will the AtariBox be out this Christmas or next Christmas.... The interest is peaking a little earlier and faster than expected....

Will it be ready and tested so as to avoid the incomplete and buggy items released with other consoles of the past?

As stated it is real. There is money behind it. The news is carrying the message. Expectations and speculation are going off the rails...

time for you to start digging and posting what you find :)

Blade Runner in October....

AtariBox for Christmas....

ah do we see some reasons?

_Doc Brown__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Silly people. Oddly, my first Unix-y setup was on my Mega STe where I actually had managed to get X11 and Emacs running. Though time has made my memory fuzzy on if I had managed to get them to work both at once, I remember Emacs being a HUGE memory hog (considering 4mb of ram).

Strangely enough, so was mine. I think it was c.1990, with Minix from (IIRC) a Page6 PD disk. Might have been an ST Format cover disk, but it was definitely Minix on the ST.